Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 20 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#128370 Apr 27, 2013
Here you go, a clear indication that the Tyre of prophesy is the island Tyre, Ezekiel 26 5:

Out in the sea she will become a place to spread fishnets, for I have spoken, declares the Sovereign LORD. She will become plunder for the nations.

Notice the first four words. "Out in the sea".

Here is a serious question for you:

Are any of the land based cities "out in the sea"?

Are any of them places to spread fishnets, or in other words a bare rock to dry nets on?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#128371 Apr 27, 2013
The very next verse refers to the cities on the land and it tells what will happen to them, notice they are not called "Tyre"

Zeke 26 6:and her settlements on the mainland will be ravaged by the sword. Then they will know that I am the LORD.

So we have a prediction that the Tyre out in the sea will be made a barren place never to be rebuilt. You now it is there. All of the sources identify the island of Tyre as the stronghold that withstood Nebby, and even gave Alex a tough time. Even if you count Alex, heck even if you count the Muslims, the prophesy has not come true, it failed. People live on Tyre today.

And prophesies are supposed to be significant. If you stretch the time out too long you trivialize it. Stretching just to the time of Alex you have trivialized the prophesy. Tyre had been conquered before. It had already switched hands between Egyptian control and Babylonian control. Tyre being defeated in battle was rarer than for other cities in the area but it was not unknown. So stretching out the time to an unreasonable length of time guarantees that it will have been overthrown, again.

You will see a red car!!
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#128372 Apr 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch the video again.
And no, many people on YouTube, just as you and I, prefer to remain anonymous. You can rip jerks like you a new one without getting in trouble at work. There are quite a few zealots out there.
That is patent nonsense

I provided you with a YouTube clip by a Biblical archaeologist
His name is David Down

He is identified clearly

Here it is again

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#128373 Apr 27, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It was totally destroyed.
It was never rebuilt.
Your arguments are empty.
Geesh you people have no problem what so ever denying the truth about anything.

"The present-day city of Tyre covers a large part of the original island and has expanded onto and covers most of the causeway, which had increased greatly in width over the centuries because of extensive silt depositions on either side. The part of the original island that is not covered by the modern city of Tyre consists mostly of an archaeological site showcasing remains of the city from ancient times.

Tyre was badly damaged in the late 1970s (Operation Litani) and early 1980s (1982 Lebanon War) during the war between Israel and the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO). The city was used as a base by the PLO, and was nearly destroyed by Israeli artillery"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyre,_Lebanon

It was destroyed many times by many different armies, yet it still exists , has the same name...and is in the same location.
How does that qualify to have never been rebuilt? It is a mystery that is hard to explain. Maybe you should go tell the people living there they don't exist?
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#128374 Apr 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
Here you go, a clear indication that the Tyre of prophesy is the island Tyre, Ezekiel 26 5:
Out in the sea she will become a place to spread fishnets, for I have spoken, declares the Sovereign LORD. She will become plunder for the nations.
Notice the first four words. "Out in the sea".
Here is a serious question for you:
Are any of the land based cities "out in the sea"?
Are any of them places to spread fishnets, or in other words a bare rock to dry nets on?
AND HER MAINLAND SETTLEMENTS

Bible history is ALWAYS accurate
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#128375 Apr 27, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
It was answered Rrrrussell, its how the chemical bonds of DNA RNA work, also I'm pretty good but I'm not a molecular, or evolutionary biologist. I'm pretty sure Hiding could answer this.
I almost know everything , but I skipped out on that class.
But I'm telling you it is a chemistry question involving the atomic bonding of various Carbon, Oxygen, Hydrogen, Nitrogen and Phosphorus atom compounds. But that's why life chose carbon I think, because it can chemically bond with other elements in millions of different ways. More so than any other element I believe.
Nope
It has not been answered at all

Providing me with a high school level link showing the structures and configurations of proteins does not answer my question

----------
How did genetic drift and random mutation result in a quaternary triplet code with two epigenetic codes eg histosome and splicing codes?

----------

This has nothing to do with protein folding and 3-D configurations

==========

You're suggesting that chemicals write codes

Including the codes for their own translation
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#128376 Apr 27, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
"The present-day city of Tyre covers a large part of the original island and has expanded onto and covers most of the causeway, which had increased greatly in width over the centuries because of extensive silt depositions on either side. The part of the original island that is not covered by the modern city of Tyre consists mostly of an archaeological site showcasing remains of the city from ancient times.
Tyre was badly damaged in the late 1970s (Operation Litani) and early 1980s (1982 Lebanon War) during the war between Israel and the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO). The city was used as a base by the PLO, and was nearly destroyed by Israeli artillery"
It was destroyed many times by many different armies, yet it still exists , has the same name...and is in the same location.
How does that qualify to have never been rebuilt? It is a mystery that is hard to explain. Maybe you should go tell the people living there they don't exist?
How about you and I chat about my question first

Or are you in empathy wanting to assist SZ in his hopeless quest to discredit God's word?

Is this Bat-empathy?

Or Bat-distraction from the matter at hand?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#128377 Apr 27, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
That is patent nonsense
I provided you with a YouTube clip by a Biblical archaeologist
His name is David Down
He is identified clearly
Here it is again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =BYbaXhY_7mQXX
No, he was a liar for the Bible. He is an admitted creatard or in other words a liar.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#128378 Apr 27, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
AND HER MAINLAND SETTLEMENTS
Bible history is ALWAYS accurate
No it isn't. You clearly forgot that Nebby did not enter Tyre.

Even if we trivialize the prophesy, in which case it is no longer a prophesy Alex did not make the island bare.

It was not the mainland settlements that were supposed to be wiped clean it was Tyre. The Bible differentiates between Tyre, which is always the island in the Bible and the mainland cites.

Can't you even read your own book of fairly tales?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#128379 Apr 27, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
These people are scared to death of death. They know that they are nothing on this world and it frightens them that probably within 20 minutes of them being in the ground they will be forgotten. Probably happily or purposefully forgotten.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#128380 Apr 27, 2013
Well, good night.

Maybe if rusty learns how to read in context and he studies the prophecy a few more times he will quite clutching at straws.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#128381 Apr 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No, he was a liar for the Bible. He is an admitted creatard or in other words a liar.
Nope
Just because someone can prove you wrong does not make them a liar

You're wrong

You've been shown to be wrong

And like dino osteocytes.....

You refuse to accept this

I never lie

Creotards do not need to lie

You are ignoring facts and history

And you are asking me to do the same
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#128382 Apr 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No it isn't. You clearly forgot that Nebby did not enter Tyre.
Even if we trivialize the prophesy, in which case it is no longer a prophesy Alex did not make the island bare.
It was not the mainland settlements that were supposed to be wiped clean it was Tyre. The Bible differentiates between Tyre, which is always the island in the Bible and the mainland cites.
Can't you even read your own book of fairly tales?
The ancient island city is under water

http://www.mediterranean-geoarchaeology.com/U...

DROWNED is the term used in this geoarchaeological paper
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#128383 Apr 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
These people are scared to death of death. They know that they are nothing on this world and it frightens them that probably within 20 minutes of them being in the ground they will be forgotten. Probably happily or purposefully forgotten.
Not according to the Bible

Which you have failed to discredit

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#128384 Apr 27, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
How about you and I chat about my question first
Or are you in empathy wanting to assist SZ in his hopeless quest to discredit God's word?
Is this Bat-empathy?
Or Bat-distraction from the matter at hand?
You are a fruit cake, I feel sorry for you.
You have to lie and deny to perpetuate your fantasy, and will never become a whole person because half of you knows you're a gd liar.
If their is a god do you really think it needs you to lie for it every damn day? I'm not assisting SubZone you have been arguing this for two days so I looked at the map and a few articles out of curiosity. I found that you are a denier of science and a liar for religion and a liar period.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#128385 Apr 27, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree
The writings are referred to as a code breaking
http://www.amazon.com/Cracking-Codes-Rosetta-...
What codes are these?
Wind drifted sand?
Leaves billowing on the grass?
No as I have said
A code implies intelligence
Design
Is the shape of snowflakes a code? Are they designed? Do they indicate intelligence?
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#128386 Apr 27, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to lie and deny to perpetuate your fantasy, and will never become a whole person because half of you knows you're a gd liar.
If their is a god do you really think it needs you to lie for it every damn day? I'm not assisting SubZone you have been arguing this for two days so I looked at the map and a few articles out of curiosity. I found that you are a denier of science and a liar for religion and a liar period.
Ad hominem attacks usually begin when the opponent has no argument

You lose Batman

Aka Aura Mithra

Aka Nimrod
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#128387 Apr 27, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the shape of snowflakes a code? Are they designed? Do they indicate intelligence?
You tell me

You're always bringing up snowflakes
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#128388 Apr 27, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Why have you named yourself after a Greek goddess?

Batman???

Really!

Aura Mithra is better but equally detested by God
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#128389 Apr 27, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
I still don't see it
Please explain it again
From the beginning......
What's the point....?
How come I can't see the point of either the Dude....who has since departed this forum, as I predicted, after his little flutter.....or your's?
There must be a point....?
Otherwise why post anything.....
RUBBISH

You get the point perfectly well, it's just that when the failings of creation.com are laid out in front of you in black and white, you have no way of defending your continued insistence of using it as a scientific source.

However, rather than do the rational thing and admit this, you simply ignore the point and pretend you don't understand it, or other forms of prevarication .

Don't get me wrong, it's no more than I expect of you - it's just fun seeing you flap around in your denial like a lobotomised fish of a hook of facts.

Thanks for playing numbnutz.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 8 min dirtclod 161,744
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Zog Has-fallen 18,847
News Darwin on the rocks (Sep '14) 1 hr Paul Porter1 1,665
No Place For ID? 3 hr Denisova 71
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 12 hr Paul Porter1 13,692
The Definition of a Creationist Scientist 14 hr Zog Has-fallen 3
proof of gods existence .....or lack there of Sat Chimney1 14
More from around the web