Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180382 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#127678 Apr 21, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
Urb, your pathetic apologetic article makes the same mistake all religious idiots make. It tires to claim that the Tyre that was not rebuilt is the land based city of Tyre. There was no land based city of Tyre, not at that time. Read the prophecy in context. Whenever it talks about Tyre it is talking about the island city. The land based cities are called "sister cities" or some other diminutive name. Those were not Tyre.
The city of Tyre is alive and healthy today.
The prophesy failed.
So I'm supposed to take the word of rabid, foaming at the mouth voodoo darwin zombee with an axe to grind rather than a sound, logical, Bible scholar? Yeah, right! The Biblical Phoenician Empire City of Tyre is what the Biblical prophesy referred to. Lying or distorting details about it is meaningless. Prophesy fullfilled 100%. Oh, by the way, there are hundreds of other prophesies fullfilled. Better get busy and make up some more distortions and lies.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#127679 Apr 21, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you should be able to find a peer reviewed article that supports your claim.
Until you do we know this statement of yours is a lie.
Creationists cannot explain the fossil record. It perfectly fits the evolutionary paradigm.
Why do you think you idiots keep losing in court?
Better go along with the courts then, because you sure as hell don't have the science!
Level 6

Miami, FL

#127680 Apr 21, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, will phrase it another way
'Why are you so convinced that you stance is right, in light of the fact that the overwhelming majority of people whom work in the relevant fields disagree with you (of whatever their faith)?'
And skip the hand waves - it is repetitive and boring
What fact? Give me a break. I know lots of medical doctors and none of them believe in evolution. Just the other day I was in a science lab talking to a young biology student and when I brought it up she rolled her eyes. What you claim is "fact" may not be true at all! None of my friends or colleagues believe that crap. Where is this so-called majority? Most people laugh about it.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#127681 Apr 21, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
So I'm supposed to take the word of rabid, foaming at the mouth voodoo darwin zombee with an axe to grind rather than a sound, logical, Bible scholar? Yeah, right! The Biblical Phoenician Empire City of Tyre is what the Biblical prophesy referred to. Lying or distorting details about it is meaningless. Prophesy fullfilled 100%. Oh, by the way, there are hundreds of other prophesies fullfilled. Better get busy and make up some more distortions and lies.
Nice try.

You do not have a Biblical scholar, you have a Biblical bigot. And Voodoo and zombies? Please, that is your belief not mine or the person I linked. You are the idiots who believe there were many zombies walking the street after Jesus supposedly came back to life. Funny, no one else noticed the zombies.

And no, there are not "hundreds of other prophesies". There are a huge collection of supposed prophecies but it can be shown that most of them either fail, are so vague as to be all but meaningless, were written after the fact or various other failures.

What is amazing is the lengths that creatards will got to to defend failed prophecies.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127682 Apr 21, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Better go along with the courts then, because you sure as hell don't have the science!
Wrong. The courts went with evolution specifically because it was science. Time after time it has been shown that creationism, IDiocy, "teach the controversy" and others all were simply a poor attempt to get religion into schools. No science to back them up, that is why they have always lost.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127683 Apr 21, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
What fact? Give me a break. I know lots of medical doctors and none of them believe in evolution. Just the other day I was in a science lab talking to a young biology student and when I brought it up she rolled her eyes. What you claim is "fact" may not be true at all! None of my friends or colleagues believe that crap. Where is this so-called majority? Most people laugh about it.
It seems like you may be hanging around to many creatards. There is even a school or so that tries to incorporate creatardism into biology. They are the laughing stock of the science. A fraction of a percent of wingnuts and wackos.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#127684 Apr 21, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
The whole fossil record is one big discrepency! We have been trumpeting this news all over the world!
Actually there is you(the discrepancy), and then there is everything else.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127685 Apr 21, 2013
Urb, if you read my article you will see that he bases his claims on the prophesy taken in context. Idiots like rusty try to take verse out of context and argue from that.

He cannot justify those sorts of lies, anymore than I could, if I cared to, claim the Bible says God does not exist.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#127686 Apr 21, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try.
You do not have a Biblical scholar, you have a Biblical bigot. And Voodoo and zombies? Please, that is your belief not mine or the person I linked. You are the idiots who believe there were many zombies walking the street after Jesus supposedly came back to life. Funny, no one else noticed the zombies.
And no, there are not "hundreds of other prophesies". There are a huge collection of supposed prophecies but it can be shown that most of them either fail, are so vague as to be all but meaningless, were written after the fact or various other failures.
What is amazing is the lengths that creatards will got to to defend failed prophecies.
We don't have to go any lengths. They speak plainly for themselves.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#127687 Apr 21, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems like you may be hanging around to many creatards. There is even a school or so that tries to incorporate creatardism into biology. They are the laughing stock of the science. A fraction of a percent of wingnuts and wackos.
You are a laughing stock to us. You have been brainwashed into believing in fairy tales. Even though there is not a shred of evidence, you actually believe that - out of nowhere and for no reason - a bacteria evolved into a fish and then into reptile and a bird and a mammal and into a man? You are the one who believes in fairly tales and are the laughing stock. You've been sold a bill of goods.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127688 Apr 21, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't have to go any lengths. They speak plainly for themselves.
Then why do you?

As written the prophecy clearly fails. It always refers to Tyre as an island in context. The land based cities are "sister cities" if you don't trust me read it for yourself and don't rely on lying apologists.

The prophesy fails. Nebby was the one who was supposed to defeat Tyre, not someone else. The island was supposed to be wiped clean, not the land based cities. The island was supposed to be never built upon again, and again, not the land based cities.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127689 Apr 21, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a laughing stock to us. You have been brainwashed into believing in fairy tales. Even though there is not a shred of evidence, you actually believe that - out of nowhere and for no reason - a bacteria evolved into a fish and then into reptile and a bird and a mammal and into a man? You are the one who believes in fairly tales and are the laughing stock. You've been sold a bill of goods.
Poor tard, you cannot even correctly say how evolution works. If you don't understand a theory it is almost impossible to debunk it.

Our beliefs are based upon repeatable science. You have nothing but some dusty old books originally written by bronze aged sheep shaggers.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#127690 Apr 21, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Ezekiel's prophesy was about mainland and island Tyre
Both
Both were destroyed by many nations
Well known fact
Ancient Phoenician Tyre has never been rebuilt
No more than ancient Pompeii has been rebuilt
You're wrong
You lose

LOL.

Which part has not been rebuilt?

http://maps.google.com/maps...

Seem the E-man got it wrong. Funny, considering it was not a prophecy, but a history (Being written 10-30 years after the fact).

You have never been able to deal with (nor any other) fact.

You lost and you keep insisting you won. I am amused.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#127691 Apr 21, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Hence the DNA code is amazing
Evidence of design
Nature does not produce codes

It is not computer code. It is a big organic molecule.

Nature does not produce 'codes' but it produces a lot of "codes".

One possible definition of science could be the deciphering of natures codes. In other words discovering the patterns and workings of nature.

When a geologist looks at a rock he can tell which type of rock it is, the conditions under which it was formed and something of it's history.

Geologists are professional decoders.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#127692 Apr 21, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
If Genesis is myth
Why did Jesus die?

Because he was nailed to a tree.

Not a naturally viable place for a person to be, long term.

Jesus' death has nothing to do with Genesis. That is a post ipso facto fallacy.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#127693 Apr 21, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
<Super polite tone> begins
How so?
<Super polite tone> ends

You can't answer the question?

Coward.

[I know Rusty did not understand the question, but this is more fun than just correcting him]

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#127694 Apr 21, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Many nations were to destroy Tyre
They did

No, the failed.

[QUOTE who="Russell"]<qu oted text> There is no time limit on Ezekiel's prophesy

So we can expect Nebby to come back from the dead and conquer it any day now. He would certainly have the element of surprise on his side.

[QUOTE who="Russell"]<qu oted text> 2) Ancient Phoenician Tyre has never been rebuilt

http://tinyurl.com/cvfshw8

Apparently not.

[QUOTE who="Russell"]<qu oted text> It lies under water

Apparently not.

[QUOTE who="Russell"]<qu oted text>
And under rubble

Apparently not

Have you read any of my links?

Sadly I have. they are mostly crap and the ones that aren't don't support your thesis.

This one, for example:
https://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.as...

Tyre's fortresses would fail
Bible prophecy: Amos 1:9-10
Prophecy written: About 750 BC
Prophecy fulfilled: 333-332 BC
In Amos 1:9-10, the prophet said that God would cause Tyre's protective fortresses to fail, as punishment for the way that Tyre treated Israel. That prophecy was fulfilled in 586-573 BC when Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar attacked the mainland of Tyre,.....

You are in effect admitting defeat. Your rationalizations (fabrications) do not change the fact that Nebuchadnezzar was supposed to sack Tyre and failed to do so. He never got inside of the city.

and in 333-332 BC when Alexander the Great ....

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Nebby and his men were the ones specified by the "prophecy". Not Alex.

Epic fail.

Further, the "Prophecy", as I demonstrated, was written AFTER Nebby's (failed) siege of the city.

The rest is just the same.

This is why I am so against apologetics, in addition to failing they make Christians look like morons. We are not, all, morons.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#127695 Apr 21, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why do you?
As written the prophecy clearly fails. It always refers to Tyre as an island in context. The land based cities are "sister cities" if you don't trust me read it for yourself and don't rely on lying apologists.
The prophesy fails. Nebby was the one who was supposed to defeat Tyre, not someone else. The island was supposed to be wiped clean, not the land based cities. The island was supposed to be never built upon again, and again, not the land based cities.
Listen fool, Ezekiel prophesied the destruction of ancient city of Tyre. The first stage Nebuchadnezzar beseiged the mainland city for 13 years and destroyed it. Then the second stage Alexander The Great beseiged the island city of Tyre for 7 years. He built a causway to the islandby scraping the rubble and debris ruins of the mainland as solid material to make a causway. Therefore rubble from the old *Phoenecian* city of Tyre is either bured or submerged in the sea. This is an amazingly accurate Biblical prophesy fullfillment.

"Behold, I am against you, O Tyre, and will bring up many nations against you, as the sea brings up its waves. 4 They shall destroy the walls of Tyre and break down her towers, and I will scrape her soil from her and make her a bare rock." Ezekiel 26:3-4
Level 6

Miami, FL

#127696 Apr 21, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
The rest is just the same.
This is why I am so against apologetics, in addition to failing they make Christians look like morons. We are not, all, morons.
You're not a Christian, but you are a moron.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127697 Apr 21, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.
Which part has not been rebuilt?
http://maps.google.com/maps...
Seem the E-man got it wrong. Funny, considering it was not a prophecy, but a history (Being written 10-30 years after the fact).
You have never been able to deal with (nor any other) fact.
You lost and you keep insisting you won. I am amused.
Well there are ruins on the southern third of the city. But those are Roman ruins so even that part has been rebuilt.

Most ancient cities have been rebuilt several times. A dig down will reveal more than one age of the city.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 2 min brenda6 644
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 11 min River Tam 162,387
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 21 min Into The Night 76,827
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Thu Dogen 4,281
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) Wed Simon 13,743
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Jul 18 John 32,164
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) Jul 16 The FACTory 221,745
More from around the web