Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180369 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Russell

Canberra, Australia

#127637 Apr 21, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you found a very misinformed and naive scientist, congratulations.
Any one who doesn't agree with you is misinformed and naive
Incl any PhD scientists who are uniquely qualified in their fields

You are a bigot
Russell

Canberra, Australia

#127638 Apr 21, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Does the periodic table imply a 'code'
<Super polite tone> begins

How so?

<Super polite tone> ends

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#127639 Apr 21, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Ezekiel's prophesy was about mainland and island Tyre
Both
Both were destroyed by many nations
Well known fact
Ancient Phoenician Tyre has never been rebuilt
No more than ancient Pompeii has been rebuilt
You're wrong
You lose
No, the island is Tyre. If you read the prophesy that is very clear.

It also so that Nebby would destroy and enter Tyre with HIS men. Alex and his army were not Nebby's men.

You still do not know what "rebuilt" means.

Pompeii was not rebuilt because it was turned into a permanent archaeological exhibit. I gave you several cases of cities that were rebuilt.

Were London, Chicago, and San Francisco rebuilt after the great fires that went through them? Yes they were. Was Tyre rebuilt? You quoted articles saying that it was.

Using Pompeii is an extremely stupid example since no one ever tried to rebuild it.

The prophesy fails.

You do not get to stretch out a prophesy for 250 years unless there is a specific verse in the prophesy that says so.

I knew that the Stupid would boil up in rusty again.
Russell

Canberra, Australia

#127640 Apr 21, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you could not respond to the challenges in my post. Your inability to respond to the facts speaks volumes.
You have not read most of the information presented to you. Your thesis is busted. If I am wrong and you DID read what was posted to you then you already know your thesis is busted and you are a liar instead of being ignorant.
Either way you cannot get around what is written in the Bible. It is all there in black and white.
1) Many nations were to destroy Tyre
They did

There is no time limit on Ezekiel's prophesy

2) Ancient Phoenician Tyre has never been rebuilt

It lies under water
As I have already demonstrated

And under rubble
As I have already demonstrated

Have you read any of my links?

https://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.as...

==========

Tyre's fortresses would fail

Bible prophecy: Amos 1:9-10
Prophecy written: About 750 BC
Prophecy fulfilled: 333-332 BC

In Amos 1:9-10, the prophet said that God would cause Tyre's protective fortresses to fail, as punishment for the way that Tyre treated Israel. That prophecy was fulfilled in 586-573 BC when Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar attacked the mainland of Tyre, and in 333-332 BC when Alexander the Great conquered the island of Tyre. Alexander's army built a land bridge from the mainland to the island so that they could use a battering ram to break through the island's fortress.

Amos 1:9-10:

This is what the Lord says: "For three sins of Tyre, even for four, I will not turn back [my wrath]. Because she sold whole communities of captives to Edom, disregarding a treaty of brotherhood, I will send fire upon the walls of Tyre that will consume her fortresses."
----------

Tyre would be attacked by many nations

Bible prophecy: Ezekiel 26:3
Prophecy written: Between 587-586 BC
Prophecy fulfilled: 573 BC, 332 BC, etc.

In Ezekiel 26:3, the prophet said that Tyre, the Phoenician Empire's most powerful city, would be attacked by many nations, because of its treatment of Israel. At about the time that Ezekiel delivered this prophecy, Babylon had begun a 13-year attack on Tyre's mainland. Later, in about 332 BC, Alexander the Great conquered the island of Tyre and brought an end to the Phoenician Empire.

----------
Ezekiel 26:3:

therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am against you, O Tyre, and I will bring many nations against you, like the sea casting up its waves.
----------

Tyre's stones, timber and soil would be cast into the sea

Bible prophecy: Ezekiel 26:12
Prophecy fulfilled: 333-332 BC

In Ezekiel 26:12, the prophet said that Tyre's stones, timber and soil would be thrown into the sea. Ezekiel's prophecy accurately describes how Alexander the Great built a land bridge from the mainland to the island of Tyre, when he attacked in 333-332 BC. Alexander's forces took rubble from Tyre's mainland and tossed it - stones, timber and soil - into the sea, to build the land bridge (which is still there).

----------
Ezekiel 26:12:

They will plunder your wealth and loot your merchandise; they will break down your walls and demolish your fine houses and throw your stones, timber and rubble into the sea.

----------
Russell

Canberra, Australia

#127641 Apr 21, 2013
Tyre would lose its power over the sea

Bible prophecy: Zechariah 9:3-4
Prophecy written: Between 520 and 518 BC
Prophecy fulfilled: Since 332 BC

In Zechariah 9:3-4, the prophet said that the Phoenician city of Tyre would lose its status as a powerful nation on the Mediterranean Sea. Today there is a city called Tyre that is either on, or near, the original Phoenician site. But this Tyre is a small city in modern-day Lebanon. It is certainly not the powerful nation that it was in the days of Zechariah.

Zechariah 9:3-4:

Tyre has built herself a stronghold; she has heaped up silver like dust, and gold like the dirt of the streets.

But the Lord will take away her possessions and destroy her power on the sea, and she will be consumed by fire.

==========

Phoenician Tyre would never again be found

Bible prophecy: Ezekiel 26:21
Prophecy fulfilled: After 332 BC

In Ezekiel 26:21, the prophet said that the Phoenician city of Tyre would be brought to an end and would never again be found. When Alexander the Great destroyed the city in 332 BC, he brought an end to the Phoenician Empire. The Empire was never revived or "found" again. As for the city itself, it has been torn down and built upon by a succession of foreign powers. Today, finding artifacts from the original Phoenician Tyre is difficult. According to the Columbia Encyclopedia, Fifth Edition: "The principal ruins of the city today are those of buildings erected by the Crusaders. There are some Greco-Roman remains, but any left by the Phoenicians lie underneath the present town." - Copyright © George Konig, Ray Konig and 100Prophecies.org

Ezekiel 26:21:

I will bring you to a horrible end and you will be no more. You will be sought, but you will never again be found, declares the Sovereign Lord."

Phoenician Tyre would never be rebuilt

Bible prophecy: Ezekiel 26:14
Prophecy fulfilled: Since 332 BC

In Ezekiel 26:14, the prophet says the Phoenician city of Tyre would be destroyed and never be rebuilt. This was fulfilled when Alexander the Great conquered Tyre in 332 BC. His conquest brought an end to the Phoenician Empire. The empire never recovered from the attack. And so, it could never rebuild Tyre. Other nations and empires have built and rebuilt cities on or near the original Phoenician site.- Copyright © George Konig, Ray Konig and 100Prophecies.org

Ezekiel 26:14:

I will make you a bare rock, and you will become a place to spread fishnets. You will never be rebuilt, for I the Lord have spoken, declares the Sovereign Lord.
==========

Completely fulfilled prophesy

==========

COMPLETELY

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127642 Apr 21, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
If Genesis is myth
Yes.
Why did Jesus die?
I don't know, what reason did the Romans supposedly give?

And please ignore the obvious self serving quotations in the Bible.

Seriously, if Jesus was real, and if he was crucified it was probably because of the heresy he preached against the Jewish religion at the time. The Jewish faith would have seen him as a heretic and the Romans would have seen him as a trouble maker.

There have been many "messiahs" before and after Jesus. He is the one that caught on.
Russell

Canberra, Australia

#127643 Apr 21, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the island is Tyre. If you read the prophesy that is very clear.
It also so that Nebby would destroy and enter Tyre with HIS men. Alex and his army were not Nebby's men.
You still do not know what "rebuilt" means.
Pompeii was not rebuilt because it was turned into a permanent archaeological exhibit. I gave you several cases of cities that were rebuilt.
Were London, Chicago, and San Francisco rebuilt after the great fires that went through them? Yes they were. Was Tyre rebuilt? You quoted articles saying that it was.
Using Pompeii is an extremely stupid example since no one ever tried to rebuild it.
The prophesy fails.
You do not get to stretch out a prophesy for 250 years unless there is a specific verse in the prophesy that says so.
I knew that the Stupid would boil up in rusty again.
Please read Ezekiel 26: 3

What does it say there?
Russell

Canberra, Australia

#127644 Apr 21, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Ezekiel 16:49 - Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless ease, but she did not [a]help the poor and needy.- NASB
Jude 1:7
King James Version (KJV)
7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Romans 1:26-27
King James Version (KJV)
26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
Mugwump

London, UK

#127645 Apr 21, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
<Super polite tone> begins
How so?
<Super polite tone> ends
Seriously? You can't get this simple point ?

You say
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Hence the DNA code is amazing
Evidence of design
Nature does not produce codes
I say - can the periodic table be interpreted as a code.
Russell

Canberra, Australia

#127646 Apr 21, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
<quoted text>
I don't know, what reason did the Romans supposedly give?
And please ignore the obvious self serving quotations in the Bible.
Seriously, if Jesus was real, and if he was crucified it was probably because of the heresy he preached against the Jewish religion at the time. The Jewish faith would have seen him as a heretic and the Romans would have seen him as a trouble maker.
There have been many "messiahs" before and after Jesus. He is the one that caught on.
He claimed He was God

He died in place of you and me for the remission of sin

Where did sin start?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127647 Apr 21, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Please read Ezekiel 26: 3
What does it say there?
Please don't take that quote out of context. All it means is that Nebby would have allies. Please note that later on in the prophesy when it talks about the attack it is always Nebby and HIS men. You are trying to take quotes out of context. That is a form of lying. In fact quote mining the Bible must be a double sin since you are not only breaking the Ninth Commandment, you are doing it against the Bible, that would be sacrilege.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127648 Apr 21, 2013
And no matter how long you try to stretch the prophecy out you cannot argue with the fact that people still live on Tyre. It was never totally destroyed and like all ancient cities is built upon its own ruins. The ruins did not necessarily come from war. A lot of them are from other causes such as fires. Buildings just getting old and worn out and built over, etc..

The Tyre that was supposed to be a bare rock was the island city, that was the Tyre of the Bible. Her "sister cities" were on the land. That was not Tyre.

Do we need to go to the verse again?

What part of the prophesy failing are you having trouble with?
Russell

Canberra, Australia

#127650 Apr 21, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
You say
<quoted text>
The DNA code requires translation by protein machinery also coded on DNA

These proteins like DNA polymerase, ligase, RNA polymerase, ribozymes in order to be replicated or translated

It carries the sequences of information that lead to the manufacture of proteins

Including the proteins the carry out the translation and replication

The code is faithfully replicated
Error correction occurs millions of time each day in every cell in our systems

The periodic table contains information

But it does not produce anything in its self

Translating it will not lead to a rabbit or a fish being produced
Russell

Canberra, Australia

#127651 Apr 21, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Please don't take that quote out of context. All it means is that Nebby would have allies. Please note that later on in the prophesy when it talks about the attack it is always Nebby and HIS men. You are trying to take quotes out of context. That is a form of lying. In fact quote mining the Bible must be a double sin since you are not only breaking the Ninth Commandment, you are doing it against the Bible, that would be sacrilege.
What does it say?
Don't be shy

Write here what it says

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#127652 Apr 21, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Ii am not here to provide you with the large bits missing from your education
Why not do a little reading before making silly remarks?
Reading can be enjoyable
Try it sometime
When you actually have something to say that makes any semblance of sense. More than myself will reply.
But for not it will suffice to say it wasn't a question, it was for confirmation someone was at least on the same page with me.
You will appear lacking, but you may underestimate as you will, but be careful. You could disagree with something that ate you.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#127653 Apr 21, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
You say
<quoted text>
Yes, it is the codex of all matter known.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127654 Apr 21, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
What does it say?
Don't be shy
Write here what it says
No, because you, like a typical lying fundie in his undies, will take it out of context.

I already said that we know Nebby had allies. He was a "king of kings". Nowhere does it allow someone else to lead an attack against Tyre. In fact read this:

7 “For this is what the Sovereign Lord says: From the north I am going to bring against Tyre Nebuchadnezzar[b] king of Babylon, king of kings, with horses and chariots, with horsemen and a great army. 8 He will ravage your settlements on the mainland with the sword; he will set up siege works against you, build a ramp up to your walls and raise his shields against you. 9 He will direct the blows of his battering rams against your walls and demolish your towers with his weapons. 10 His horses will be so many that they will cover you with dust. Your walls will tremble at the noise of the warhorses, wagons and chariots when he enters your gates as men enter a city whose walls have been broken through. 11 The hooves of his horses will trample all your streets; he will kill your people with the sword, and your strong pillars will fall to the ground. 12 They will plunder your wealth and loot your merchandise; they will break down your walls and demolish your fine houses and throw your stones, timber and rubble into the sea. 13 I will put an end to your noisy songs, and the music of your harps will be heard no more. 14 I will make you a bare rock, and you will become a place to spread fishnets. You will never be rebuilt, for I the Lord have spoken, declares the Sovereign Lord.

Do you see any mention of anyone except for Nebby and HIS men?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127655 Apr 21, 2013
rusty was gone for a while. He probably has an extra large does of Stupid that he has to get out of his system.
Russell

Canberra, Australia

#127656 Apr 21, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> When you actually have something to say that makes any semblance of sense. More than myself will reply.
But for not it will suffice to say it wasn't a question, it was for confirmation someone was at least on the same page with me.
You will appear lacking, but you may underestimate as you will, but be careful. You could disagree with something that ate you.
Huh?
Russell

Canberra, Australia

#127657 Apr 21, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
And no matter how long you try to stretch the prophecy out you cannot argue with the fact that people still live on Tyre. It was never totally destroyed and like all ancient cities is built upon its own ruins. The ruins did not necessarily come from war. A lot of them are from other causes such as fires. Buildings just getting old and worn out and built over, etc..
The Tyre that was supposed to be a bare rock was the island city, that was the Tyre of the Bible. Her "sister cities" were on the land. That was not Tyre.
Do we need to go to the verse again?
What part of the prophesy failing are you having trouble with?
What does Ezekiel 26:3 say

Write it here

Pompei has buildings and people

No one in their right mind would argue that ancient Pompeii has been rebuilt

Write here what Ezekiel 26:3 states

Do it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 11 min MADRONE 165,003
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 1 hr Frindly 3,555
No Evidence for Creation, a Global Flood, Tower... 2 hr Zog Has-fallen 84
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 7 hr DanFromSmithville 223,194
Evolution is Fantasy 7 hr Water Meter Parker 1
Time 12 hr THANKS 9
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 13 hr Frindly 84,105
More from around the web