Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 174,458

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#127502 Apr 19, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Dogem
For heavens sake
Look at my posts regarding this topic
They are long, detailed and cover every objection
Your post is two lines
No backing evidence
And you expect me to curl up in the fetal position and start whimpering
You're worse than highly educated MikeF
But at least he's asking me intelligent questions....from the sidelines
Or what he wants me to think are intelligent questions....
I know he's really only buying time
We'll see
But you, my friend...or not
You are not putting any heart into this
I know you hate JW's
But C'mon
At least make an effort with a fundie creationist
Give me your evidence
Don't make vacuous unsupported statements
Speaking of vacuous have you heard of Christine?
Her science was similar to your's
Sort of like reading Reader Digest

I see you could not respond to the challenges in my post. Your inability to respond to the facts speaks volumes.

You have not read most of the information presented to you. Your thesis is busted. If I am wrong and you DID read what was posted to you then you already know your thesis is busted and you are a liar instead of being ignorant.

Either way you cannot get around what is written in the Bible. It is all there in black and white.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#127503 Apr 19, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are saying that you never had the chance to do these very common, very basic, experiments ... yet almost all of them are done in high school. What about the one where you zap water with a high amperage current then extract the hydrogen from one tube and the oxygen from the other ..... in balloons ... and then light them? That's a fun one.
What about placing sulfur-dioxide in a tube that's filled with a small amount of water and capped off with a ball? Bring ear plugs.
What about wiring an old computer, we used Apple IIe computers because they were cheap, to a robotic arm and programming it to pick up things without breaking them?
What about the egg drop? Everyone's done the egg drop, that's an experiment, yes, it's an experiment in physics.
Dissecting things? We dissected lots of things, frogs, squids, birds ... even worms, that's a test of hand-eye coordination.
I mean, come on, or did you go to home "school?" Or maybe one of those lame backwoods schools that had textbooks from the 1920s?
None of those were the topic at hand. The topic was DDWFTTW, and no I never did that one in High School and I don't know anyone that has.

Frankly, I am disappointed and disgusted with your sudden lack of couth. It would seem beneath you. Perhaps your idiot brother in law gained access to your account?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#127504 Apr 19, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
None of those were the topic at hand. The topic was DDWFTTW, and no I never did that one in High School and I don't know anyone that has.
Frankly, I am disappointed and disgusted with your sudden lack of couth. It would seem beneath you. Perhaps your idiot brother in law gained access to your account?
Erm, wow, okay.

Hi, I'm KittenKoder, if you don't like honesty, brutal honesty, serious honesty, with a splash of humor, then you won't like me.

Actually, you already knew that, but when I was not pointing out how ... well ... uneducated you are you didn't notice, or care, but when I decide to be honest about how you appear, now you suddenly care. That's the problem with "politeness" or "manners," they're subjective, now get over it, you uneducated nit.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#127505 Apr 19, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Erm, wow, okay.
Hi, I'm KittenKoder, if you don't like honesty, brutal honesty, serious honesty, with a splash of humor, then you won't like me.
Actually, you already knew that, but when I was not pointing out how ... well ... uneducated you are you didn't notice, or care, but when I decide to be honest about how you appear, now you suddenly care. That's the problem with "politeness" or "manners," they're subjective, now get over it, you uneducated nit.
He is a brute, that knows everything, and when presented with something he isn't familiar with, he becomes a skeptic.
But it's okay to be the skeptic, but the brutish skeptic is barely tolerable. He is real nice when playing the arrogant brutish skeptical inconsiderate know it all. Especially when it's on a Friday :)

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#127506 Apr 19, 2013
<<<<<<<As ks KK if I can borrow some ear muffs =/

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#127507 Apr 19, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey!

I didn't want to start any fights by bringing up this brain teaser.

It does not break any laws of physics, it is NOT a new source of energy, it is simply an interesting application of existing aerodynamics.

I definitely do not think that it is worth fighting over. I am sorry if people are going to start fights when it comes to only a neat new idea.

I do know that I could introduce you to spork, the designer of the device. You are familiar with his work if you watch football. He is the man who paints the yellow lines on your screen that marks when a player gets a first down. He is a very busy person on Sunday. Actually, that is his day job. He was involved in designing the software used in many of the sports television.

I know him very well from first debating against this idea and then realizing that I was wrong and debating for it. I do not think he is the sort to waste the many many hours it took to build the Blackbird for a hoax.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127508 Apr 19, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not realize till years after H.S. what a great science teacher I had. He was a working professional scientist and really knew his stuff. I realize now that most H.S. science student were not as lucky as I was.
I had some biology teachers in high school that were pretty amazing. Unfortunately for me biology was not my real calling. How many class field trips would involve a trip a couple of states over, and I am talking from Minnesota to Montana here, that involved catching rattle snakes?

My physics and chemistry teacher was adequate, he was not passionate.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

North Miami Beach, FL

#127509 Apr 20, 2013
"Sodomy (/&#712;s&#594;d&# 601;mi/) is any non-penile/vaginal copulation-like act, such as oral or anal sex, or sex between a person and an animal.[1] The word is derived from the story of Sodom and Gomorrah in chapters 18 and 19 of the Book of Genesis in the Bible.[1]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodomy

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#127510 Apr 20, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that it doesn't. But, don't let things like reality get in the way.
Yes it does. You can't explain why every ancient sample tested still has some C14 in it. You can't blame contamination if it is measured consistently every time. It's in there because it hasn't had enough time to decay completely. This completely refutes the whole theory because your "millions and billions" is precluded based on the the known half-life of C14 and it's continued presence.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127511 Apr 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it does. You can't explain why every ancient sample tested still has some C14 in it. You can't blame contamination if it is measured consistently every time. It's in there because it hasn't had enough time to decay completely. This completely refutes the whole theory because your "millions and billions" is precluded based on the the known half-life of C14 and it's continued presence.
Actually we can and we have.

Name the C14 anomaly. Make sure you have a reliable source. Once again, it is not our fault if you do not keep up on science.

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#127513 Apr 20, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually we can and we have.
Name the C14 anomaly. Make sure you have a reliable source. Once again, it is not our fault if you do not keep up on science.
You're the one who's not keeping up. So you want a secular source? No problem (even though those sources can't always be relied on and must be taken with a grain of salt).

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2007NIMPB.259.....

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#127514 Apr 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the one who's not keeping up. So you want a secular source? No problem (even though those sources can't always be relied on and must be taken with a grain of salt).
And, if you had more than just the abstract to go on, you'd understand what was going on.

A variety of sample processing and instrument-based constraints have been postulated to explain the upper age-limit. To examine instrument-based background activities in the AMS instrument of the W. M. Keck Carbon Cycle Accelerator Mass Spectrometry Laboratory of the University of California, a set of natural diamonds were dated. Natural diamond samples from different sources within rock formations with standard geological ages in excess of 100 Ma yielded14C apparent ages 64,920 430 BP to 80,000 1100 BP as reported in 2007.[17]( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dati... )

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127515 Apr 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said I was not keeping up? Oh right, and uneducated creatard did.

I knew about this I just wanted to make sure that you were citing a valid case.

Not all diamonds show this false age. You made a critical mistake, do you know what it was or do you want me to explain it to you?
Urban Cowboy

North Miami Beach, FL

#127516 Apr 20, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all diamonds show this false age. You made a critical mistake, do you know what it was or do you want me to explain it to you?
Sorry, I don't talk to children on the Internet.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127517 Apr 20, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Doh! I shouldn't make insults before coffee!

Change "and uneducated" to "an uneducated".

If you read Lowell's link you should be able to figure out what your error was Urb.
Urban Cowboy

North Miami Beach, FL

#127518 Apr 20, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
And, if you had more than just the abstract to go on, you'd understand what was going on.
A variety of sample processing and instrument-based constraints have been postulated to explain the upper age-limit. To examine instrument-based background activities in the AMS instrument of the W. M. Keck Carbon Cycle Accelerator Mass Spectrometry Laboratory of the University of California, a set of natural diamonds were dated. Natural diamond samples from different sources within rock formations with standard geological ages in excess of 100 Ma yielded14C apparent ages 64,920 430 BP to 80,000 1100 BP as reported in 2007.[17]( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dati... )
Oh and you do? YOu have more than the abstract? Give it up. Let's See it.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127519 Apr 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I don't talk to children on the Internet.
Aww, Urb realized his error and does not want to talk about it.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127520 Apr 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh and you do? YOu have more than the abstract? Give it up. Let's See it.
And I see that I erred again. It looks like Urb still have no clue what was wrong with his claim.

Urb, there are certain things you must do when dating an object. Do you know what they are?

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#127522 Apr 20, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
And I see that I erred again. It looks like Urb still have no clue what was wrong with his claim.
Urb, there are certain things you must do when dating an object. Do you know what they are?
"has" no clue...

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127523 Apr 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
"has" no clue...
Yup, early in the morning and I am going to make all sorts of mistakes.

At least mine are only grammatical.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 37 min ChristineM 120,465
Darwin on the rocks 1 hr Chimney1 336
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr Chimney1 138,166
Monkey VS Man 2 hr Bluenose 14
Bobby Jindal: "I'm Not an Evolutionary Biologist" 14 hr MikeF 351
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 18 hr Chimney1 692
Charles Darwin's credentials and Evolution 19 hr TurkanaBoy 204

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE