Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 177,023

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#127525 Apr 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
"has" no clue...
My, my, my. Aren't we nit-picky this morning.

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#127526 Apr 20, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you asked
Nope
Well yes
Its better than a binary code
Watch Rob Carter express his rather great views on this topic
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/8905048/multidi...
No need. Anyone associated with CMI has already cast off his integrity.

"By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the Scriptural record. Of primary importance is the fact that evidence is always subject to interpretation by fallible people who do not possess all information."

I'll get back to you on the 'computer code' nonsense when I finish writing my rebuttal.
Russell wrote:
Listen Bud
My MOTHER wanted to try out for the Special Forces
She decided against it when she realised how much fitness she would lose
I can arm wrestle her any day
....and sometimes win....
So your mommy wears combat boots. BFD.

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#127527 Apr 20, 2013
BTW, here:

http://creationsensation.blogspot.com/2012/10...

Carter post this:

In The Origin of Species, Darwin famously said, "If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed, which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down."

A widely know fundie quote-mine. So Carter has no integrity.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#127528 Apr 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Erm, wow, okay.
Hi, I'm KittenKoder, if you don't like honesty, brutal honesty, serious honesty, with a splash of humor, then you won't like me.
Actually, you already knew that, but when I was not pointing out how ... well ... uneducated you are you didn't notice, or care, but when I decide to be honest about how you appear, now you suddenly care. That's the problem with "politeness" or "manners," they're subjective, now get over it, you uneducated nit.
I doubt very much you noticed the conversation and proposed experiment was about DDWFTTW, you probably confused it with a simpler experiment about tacking or airfoils.

Obviously you are unable to admit you gaffe of inattention and instead want to be a pissy little whiner. Have at it! It seems to suit you well.

Level 5

#127529 Apr 20, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
He is a brute, that knows everything, and when presented with something he isn't familiar with, he becomes a skeptic.
But it's okay to be the skeptic, but the brutish skeptic is barely tolerable. He is real nice when playing the arrogant brutish skeptical inconsiderate know it all. Especially when it's on a Friday :)
Speaking of pissy little whiners, how ya been?

Level 5

#127530 Apr 20, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey!
I didn't want to start any fights by bringing up this brain teaser.
It does not break any laws of physics, it is NOT a new source of energy, it is simply an interesting application of existing aerodynamics.
I definitely do not think that it is worth fighting over. I am sorry if people are going to start fights when it comes to only a neat new idea.
I do know that I could introduce you to spork, the designer of the device. You are familiar with his work if you watch football. He is the man who paints the yellow lines on your screen that marks when a player gets a first down. He is a very busy person on Sunday. Actually, that is his day job. He was involved in designing the software used in many of the sports television.
I know him very well from first debating against this idea and then realizing that I was wrong and debating for it. I do not think he is the sort to waste the many many hours it took to build the Blackbird for a hoax.
The "fighting" isn't your fault, don't worry about it. You brought up an interesting little puzzle that I still haven't made up my mind about. Thanks for that, no matter how it turns out. I'll look into it as time permits.

You've behaved well despite my jibs and jabs. I have no real problems with you.

Keep on keepin on!

“God of War”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#127531 Apr 20, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of pissy little whiners, how ya been?

LOL I'm good , how bout you slick?

Level 5

#127532 Apr 20, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL I'm good , how bout you slick?
I might live, <dammit!!>.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#127533 Apr 20, 2013
Any bets on how long it takes the Stupid to boil up in Russell again?

Of course talking about him is almost the same as saying "Betelgeuse" three times in a row.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#127534 Apr 20, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt very much you noticed the conversation and proposed experiment was about DDWFTTW, you probably confused it with a simpler experiment about tacking or airfoils.
Obviously you are unable to admit you gaffe of inattention and instead want to be a pissy little whiner. Have at it! It seems to suit you well.
You are placing the cart before the horse. DDWFTTW was actually the result of said experiment, that's actually how almost all tech advances happen, someone comes up with an experiment to demonstrate something and another person notices "this would actually be useful if we found a way to do it on a practical level."

Oh, and my gripe was you saying you have never done an experiment, anyone can do almost any experiment in their own homes without a lab, and for anyone to say "I'm too stupid/lazy to do the experiment myself" is the ultimate cheat. In other words, you have nothing to say on the subject until you do the experiments.

Level 5

#127535 Apr 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are placing the cart before the horse. DDWFTTW was actually the result of said experiment, that's actually how almost all tech advances happen, someone comes up with an experiment to demonstrate something and another person notices "this would actually be useful if we found a way to do it on a practical level."
Oh, and my gripe was you saying you have never done an experiment, anyone can do almost any experiment in their own homes without a lab, and for anyone to say "I'm too stupid/lazy to do the experiment myself" is the ultimate cheat. In other words, you have nothing to say on the subject until you do the experiments.
Now you are lying in a bald faced manner. I thought you would be intelligent enough to at least avoid that.

You said;
KittenKoder wrote:

Do you never try any experiments on your own?
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
I certainly do, and that is kind of my point.
I had been suggesting taking someone's word for it even with the addition of supporting videos was insufficient evidence and was asking if the supporter had done the experiments himself before you chimed in.

Bite me, pissy little whiner!

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#127536 Apr 20, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you are lying in a bald faced manner. I thought you would be intelligent enough to at least avoid that.
You said;
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I had been suggesting taking someone's word for it even with the addition of supporting videos was insufficient evidence and was asking if the supporter had done the experiments himself before you chimed in.
Bite me, pissy little whiner!
... yet ... you hadn't done this one very simple, very basic, experiment ....

Level 5

#127537 Apr 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
... yet ... you hadn't done this one very simple, very basic, experiment ....
I've known about it for less than 48 hours and I doubt very much you have done it at all ever, lying pissy little whiner.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#127538 Apr 20, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
I've known about it for less than 48 hours and I doubt very much you have done it at all ever, lying pissy little whiner.
So you don't get around much, okay, at least just say you have never seen it instead of trying to say it's not possible until you actually know about it. I mean, I get the animosity to new ideas, considering what a huge embarrassment cold fusion was for the scientific community, but without new ideas like DDWFTTW you would not have a computer.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127539 Apr 20, 2013
The question is what sort of evidence do you want?

I not only supplied videos, which admittedly can be faked. I gave links to the certification by NALSA that they had accomplished this. I supplied a link to a paper by Mark Drela that showed this was possible complete with equations.

What more do you need?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127540 Apr 20, 2013
I do not think this is a "simple little experiment".

It is very easy to make a nonworking cart. If you do not know the right gearing, and advance rates for the propeller odds are your vehicle will not work right. I have seen at least one person try to "disprove" that the cart works by making non-working carts. The person in question went ahead even after being told that he was making his cart incorrectly. When it didn't work he thought he had actually proved something.

Second you need access to a treadmill. Not every house has a home treadmill. Mine doesn't.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#127541 Apr 20, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
I do not think this is a "simple little experiment".
It is very easy to make a nonworking cart. If you do not know the right gearing, and advance rates for the propeller odds are your vehicle will not work right. I have seen at least one person try to "disprove" that the cart works by making non-working carts. The person in question went ahead even after being told that he was making his cart incorrectly. When it didn't work he thought he had actually proved something.
Second you need access to a treadmill. Not every house has a home treadmill. Mine doesn't.
Meh, every university and college has them. ;) As well as a lot of physics professors who love to talk about ... physics.

Level 5

#127542 Apr 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you don't get around much, okay, at least just say you have never seen it instead of trying to say it's not possible until you actually know about it. I mean, I get the animosity to new ideas, considering what a huge embarrassment cold fusion was for the scientific community, but without new ideas like DDWFTTW you would not have a computer.
Show me where I said it wasn't possible, lying little whiner. Also, please show what DDWFTTW has to do with computing technology. <dumbazz!> While you are at it, why don't you tell us all what propeller pitch and drive train ratio you used in your high school "simple basic DDWFTTW experiment".

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#127543 Apr 20, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me where I said it wasn't possible, lying little whiner. Also, please show what DDWFTTW has to do with computing technology. <dumbazz!> While you are at it, why don't you tell us all what propeller pitch and drive train ratio you used in your high school "simple basic DDWFTTW experiment".
Then perhaps I misread you somewhere, but all your animosity only makes me believe I did not.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127545 Apr 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Meh, every university and college has them. ;) As well as a lot of physics professors who love to talk about ... physics.
That's true. I don't have easy access to a university. And you still need to know how to make one correctly, though spork did post a series of very thorough build videos that tell you exactly how to make one and where you can get the parts, and by the way not from him. Time and money wise this was a labor of love for spork. I am pretty sure he was out of pocket on the deal, especially if you he considers his time to be of any value at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are Asians/whites more evolved? (Sep '07) 3 min emrenil 1,370
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 6 min FREE SERVANT 149,979
Birds Evolved From Dinosaurs Slowly—Then Took Off 14 min emrenil 34
Humans DID evolve from apes! 19 min MikeF 35
Creationism isn't a science and doesn't belong ... 40 min The Dude 728
evolution of Eyes - size - skin color - shape -... 1 hr prom 1
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Aura Mytha 17,014
More from around the web