Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178697 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#127517 Apr 20, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said I was not keeping up? Oh right, and uneducated creatard did.
I knew about this I just wanted to make sure that you were citing a valid case.
Not all diamonds show this false age. You made a critical mistake, do you know what it was or do you want me to explain it to you?
Doh! I shouldn't make insults before coffee!

Change "and uneducated" to "an uneducated".

If you read Lowell's link you should be able to figure out what your error was Urb.
Urban Cowboy

North Miami Beach, FL

#127518 Apr 20, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
And, if you had more than just the abstract to go on, you'd understand what was going on.
A variety of sample processing and instrument-based constraints have been postulated to explain the upper age-limit. To examine instrument-based background activities in the AMS instrument of the W. M. Keck Carbon Cycle Accelerator Mass Spectrometry Laboratory of the University of California, a set of natural diamonds were dated. Natural diamond samples from different sources within rock formations with standard geological ages in excess of 100 Ma yielded14C apparent ages 64,920 430 BP to 80,000 1100 BP as reported in 2007.[17]( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dati... )
Oh and you do? YOu have more than the abstract? Give it up. Let's See it.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127519 Apr 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I don't talk to children on the Internet.
Aww, Urb realized his error and does not want to talk about it.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127520 Apr 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh and you do? YOu have more than the abstract? Give it up. Let's See it.
And I see that I erred again. It looks like Urb still have no clue what was wrong with his claim.

Urb, there are certain things you must do when dating an object. Do you know what they are?

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

North Miami Beach, FL

#127522 Apr 20, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
And I see that I erred again. It looks like Urb still have no clue what was wrong with his claim.
Urb, there are certain things you must do when dating an object. Do you know what they are?
"has" no clue...

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127523 Apr 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
"has" no clue...
Yup, early in the morning and I am going to make all sorts of mistakes.

At least mine are only grammatical.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127524 Apr 20, 2013
So Urb, now that you admit that you has no clue (that's a joke son). Have you given enough thought to realize your error yet?

Here is a clue, everywhere on or below the face of the Earth you will find some radioactivity.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#127525 Apr 20, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
"has" no clue...
My, my, my. Aren't we nit-picky this morning.

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#127526 Apr 20, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you asked
Nope
Well yes
Its better than a binary code
Watch Rob Carter express his rather great views on this topic
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/8905048/multidi...
No need. Anyone associated with CMI has already cast off his integrity.

"By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the Scriptural record. Of primary importance is the fact that evidence is always subject to interpretation by fallible people who do not possess all information."

I'll get back to you on the 'computer code' nonsense when I finish writing my rebuttal.
Russell wrote:
Listen Bud
My MOTHER wanted to try out for the Special Forces
She decided against it when she realised how much fitness she would lose
I can arm wrestle her any day
....and sometimes win....
So your mommy wears combat boots. BFD.

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#127527 Apr 20, 2013
BTW, here:

http://creationsensation.blogspot.com/2012/10...

Carter post this:

In The Origin of Species, Darwin famously said, "If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed, which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down."

A widely know fundie quote-mine. So Carter has no integrity.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#127528 Apr 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Erm, wow, okay.
Hi, I'm KittenKoder, if you don't like honesty, brutal honesty, serious honesty, with a splash of humor, then you won't like me.
Actually, you already knew that, but when I was not pointing out how ... well ... uneducated you are you didn't notice, or care, but when I decide to be honest about how you appear, now you suddenly care. That's the problem with "politeness" or "manners," they're subjective, now get over it, you uneducated nit.
I doubt very much you noticed the conversation and proposed experiment was about DDWFTTW, you probably confused it with a simpler experiment about tacking or airfoils.

Obviously you are unable to admit you gaffe of inattention and instead want to be a pissy little whiner. Have at it! It seems to suit you well.

Level 5

#127529 Apr 20, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
He is a brute, that knows everything, and when presented with something he isn't familiar with, he becomes a skeptic.
But it's okay to be the skeptic, but the brutish skeptic is barely tolerable. He is real nice when playing the arrogant brutish skeptical inconsiderate know it all. Especially when it's on a Friday :)
Speaking of pissy little whiners, how ya been?

Level 5

#127530 Apr 20, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey!
I didn't want to start any fights by bringing up this brain teaser.
It does not break any laws of physics, it is NOT a new source of energy, it is simply an interesting application of existing aerodynamics.
I definitely do not think that it is worth fighting over. I am sorry if people are going to start fights when it comes to only a neat new idea.
I do know that I could introduce you to spork, the designer of the device. You are familiar with his work if you watch football. He is the man who paints the yellow lines on your screen that marks when a player gets a first down. He is a very busy person on Sunday. Actually, that is his day job. He was involved in designing the software used in many of the sports television.
I know him very well from first debating against this idea and then realizing that I was wrong and debating for it. I do not think he is the sort to waste the many many hours it took to build the Blackbird for a hoax.
The "fighting" isn't your fault, don't worry about it. You brought up an interesting little puzzle that I still haven't made up my mind about. Thanks for that, no matter how it turns out. I'll look into it as time permits.

You've behaved well despite my jibs and jabs. I have no real problems with you.

Keep on keepin on!

“The Edge”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#127531 Apr 20, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of pissy little whiners, how ya been?

LOL I'm good , how bout you slick?

Level 5

#127532 Apr 20, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL I'm good , how bout you slick?
I might live, <dammit!!>.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#127533 Apr 20, 2013
Any bets on how long it takes the Stupid to boil up in Russell again?

Of course talking about him is almost the same as saying "Betelgeuse" three times in a row.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#127534 Apr 20, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt very much you noticed the conversation and proposed experiment was about DDWFTTW, you probably confused it with a simpler experiment about tacking or airfoils.
Obviously you are unable to admit you gaffe of inattention and instead want to be a pissy little whiner. Have at it! It seems to suit you well.
You are placing the cart before the horse. DDWFTTW was actually the result of said experiment, that's actually how almost all tech advances happen, someone comes up with an experiment to demonstrate something and another person notices "this would actually be useful if we found a way to do it on a practical level."

Oh, and my gripe was you saying you have never done an experiment, anyone can do almost any experiment in their own homes without a lab, and for anyone to say "I'm too stupid/lazy to do the experiment myself" is the ultimate cheat. In other words, you have nothing to say on the subject until you do the experiments.

Level 5

#127535 Apr 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are placing the cart before the horse. DDWFTTW was actually the result of said experiment, that's actually how almost all tech advances happen, someone comes up with an experiment to demonstrate something and another person notices "this would actually be useful if we found a way to do it on a practical level."
Oh, and my gripe was you saying you have never done an experiment, anyone can do almost any experiment in their own homes without a lab, and for anyone to say "I'm too stupid/lazy to do the experiment myself" is the ultimate cheat. In other words, you have nothing to say on the subject until you do the experiments.
Now you are lying in a bald faced manner. I thought you would be intelligent enough to at least avoid that.

You said;
KittenKoder wrote:

Do you never try any experiments on your own?
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
I certainly do, and that is kind of my point.
I had been suggesting taking someone's word for it even with the addition of supporting videos was insufficient evidence and was asking if the supporter had done the experiments himself before you chimed in.

Bite me, pissy little whiner!

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#127536 Apr 20, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you are lying in a bald faced manner. I thought you would be intelligent enough to at least avoid that.
You said;
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I had been suggesting taking someone's word for it even with the addition of supporting videos was insufficient evidence and was asking if the supporter had done the experiments himself before you chimed in.
Bite me, pissy little whiner!
... yet ... you hadn't done this one very simple, very basic, experiment ....

Level 5

#127537 Apr 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
... yet ... you hadn't done this one very simple, very basic, experiment ....
I've known about it for less than 48 hours and I doubt very much you have done it at all ever, lying pissy little whiner.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 8 min Hit and Run 173,880
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr said 20,899
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 4 hr ChromiuMan 143,939
News Pastafarians rejoice! Deep sea creature floatin... 7 hr karl44 1
Satan's Lies and Scientist Guys (Sep '14) 8 hr dollarsbill 14
News Intelligent design Tue FREE SERVANT 23
How would creationists explain... (Nov '14) Aug 30 Chimney1 583
More from around the web