Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
124,221 - 124,240 of 172,145 Comments Last updated 54 min ago

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Been working on it with what spare time I may have. Are you trying to build a case that DNA is a computer code?
<quoted text>
I picture more of a scrawny, little pip-squeek wetting his pants.
Isn't the DNA coding sequence random? So it a pattern in reality and not like a code that carries a message.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

I see as I work backwards that rusty is now trying to claim that the island city is not the Tyre of Zeke's prophecy.

Hmm, let's see what old Zeke has to say about that:

Ezekiel 26 5 and 6: 5 Out in the sea she will become a place to spread fishnets, for I have spoken, declares the Sovereign Lord. She will become plunder for the nations, 6 and her settlements on the mainland will be ravaged by the sword. Then they will know that I am the Lord.

Please note, the city is "out in the sea". It is an island. The land based sister cities are not Tyre they are "her settlements on the mainland".

Since I already covered the body of the prophesy let's jump more toward the end:

Zeke 26 19-21: 19 “This is what the Sovereign Lord says: When I make you a desolate city, like cities no longer inhabited, and when I bring the ocean depths over you and its vast waters cover you, 20 then I will bring you down with those who go down to the pit, to the people of long ago. I will make you dwell in the earth below, as in ancient ruins, with those who go down to the pit, and you will not return or take your place[c] in the land of the living. 21 I will bring you to a horrible end and you will be no more. You will be sought, but you will never again be found, declares the Sovereign Lord.”

Now not only is the island city supposed to be desolate, never built upon again, it is supposed to be covered by the sea. The vast waters of the ocean are supposed to be over this island city.

That does not even go with rusty's version of this fairy tale. Oh my, does that make rusty guilty of blasphemy?

It is clear that the Tyre that was to be attacked was the island city. The land based towns were called "its settlements" and had a different fate than the island.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Hopefully that problem was over with for a while. Though I doubt it.

There is a terrible force in the stupid. It boils up in its victims until they have to share it with everybody.

If rusty would only read his God Damn Bible instead of listening to lying fundamentalist liars he might have a chance. That probably won't happen, rusty probably likes those fundamentalist liars.

rusty, when you read the prophesy in context it can only apply to Nebby and the island kingdom. It fails. You want to change it from what it obviously says and the excuse that "if you don't change what the prophecy says then it will fail" is not a good enough excuse. Yes, it is the excuse that apologetics use, but then they are using any means possible to prove the Bible "true".

If you apply those standards almost any work of fiction could be considered to be true. By the standards you use Harry Potter could be considered to be true. Are real places name? Yep, must be true. Real countries? Yep. Real people? Well at least real by title, we don't know their name very often. So yep, I guess that Harry Potter must be as true as the Bible.

There you go, see what happens when you let the stupid even a little bit lose? Your problem is that the stupid is loose in your brain almost all of the time.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Sodom & Gomorrah found! This righteous judgement of sin and destruction of these cities actually happened and in addition to Biblical, has archaeological evidence to support it.

"The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah is a certain fact in history. The Genesis account is in narrative form and is alluded to by several Old Testament writers. Jesus Himself obviously believed it and in fact was an eyewitness as the pre-incarnate Lord." (See Matthew 11:23-24; Mark 6:11; Luke 10:12 and 17:28-32.

http://www.icr.org/article/7312/

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
Sodom & Gomorrah found! This righteous judgement of sin and destruction of these cities actually happened and in addition to Biblical, has archaeological evidence to support it.
"The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah is a certain fact in history. The Genesis account is in narrative form and is alluded to by several Old Testament writers. Jesus Himself obviously believed it and in fact was an eyewitness as the pre-incarnate Lord." (See Matthew 11:23-24; Mark 6:11; Luke 10:12 and 17:28-32.
Even the utter imbeciles at ICR say "might" have been found.

It is just another myth from your book of justso stories.

See if you can find a real scholar that makes this claim.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Hah, I read Urb's article and found this nice bit of nonsense at the end:

"Creation geologist Dr. Steve Austin studied the geological evidence, including the fault zone, the burn layer, the bitumen that erupted, and the city’s calamitous fall to its ruin."

Steve Austin is of course a joke in geological circles. Bitumen or asphalt is not a product of volcanic eruptions.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Even the utter imbeciles at ICR say "might" have been found.
It is just another myth from your book of justso stories.
See if you can find a real scholar that makes this claim.
I guess you didn't understand what "The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah is a certain fact in history" means. Does the author leave any doubt? No - of course not. How are these not real scholars? Or are you just a bitter liar? I knew this one would hit particularly hard for the gay-homosexuals as that is the reason they were destroyed and also the basis for law against Sodomy (Gross!).

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you didn't understand what "The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah is a certain fact in history" means. Does the author leave any doubt? No - of course not. How are these not real scholars? Or are you just a bitter liar? I knew this one would hit particularly hard for the gay-homosexuals as that is the reason they were destroyed and also the basis for law against Sodomy (Gross!).
What do you mean that the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah can be certain fact in history?

There are no reliable books that even mention the towns. What historians support these claims?

And Gays aren't the only ones that practice Sodomy. Lots of women like it in the backdoor. And technically fellatio is sodomy too. Don't tell me that you have never received a blow job, and if you haven't I almost feel sorry for you.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you read all 200,000 articles?
How do you know they are full of "scientific evidence?"
Because nothing passes peer review, a requirement to get published, without it.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
Nothing but conjecture.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I will see if I can find some that show the treadmill was not running downhill. I don't know if they showed that closeup. I can show you some where the cart is running uphill.
Oh wow! I just found a new one by what looks like a French school girl. The first several runs are without a prop. Then several flat runs with a prop. Then several more with the cart going up a 5% slope and with a prop on. If you note the faster the treadmill goes the better the cart performs. This is equivalent to the wind blowing at a faster speed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =AVDLiNbCjN8XX
It's also equivalent to being on a steeper slope.
LowellGuy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
Drdino.com didn't have anything about it?

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
It's also equivalent to being on a steeper slope.
No, I disagree. The upwards slope is still 5% regardless of the speed of the treadmill. It is climbing faster because the cart is rolling faster.

Galilean transformations are relatively simple. Are you familiar with them? No square root factors. All you do is to add a constant velocity to any frame of reference.
LowellGuy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Something so globally significant only appears in the website of an organization that claims everything we understand about geology, biology, chemistry, astronomy, and physics is completely wrong? That doesn't strike you as odd?

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Here is a shot of the small cart on the treadmill with a closeup of a level. It is flat:

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
And this video is a bit of an inside joke.
A doubter who did not understand the simple concept of a Galilean Transformation thought that testing a cart against popcorn would be the definitive test (though there is a video of the BUFC charging through a cloud of dust ). Windgrins did many tests for spork after the fact and as a pilot recognized that for the small carts they would be much more stable if the prop was a puller prop rather than a pusher prop.
Here is his famed popcorn test. It still cracks me up, but it might be too much of an inside joke for most:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =keEQgYkyecIXX
Speaking of which, if I were to believe anything based just on say so and videos, then I must believe cell phones can pop popcorn. http://www.youtube.com/v/V94shlqPlSI

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I disagree. The upwards slope is still 5% regardless of the speed of the treadmill. It is climbing faster because the cart is rolling faster.
Galilean transformations are relatively simple. Are you familiar with them? No square root factors. All you do is to add a constant velocity to any frame of reference.
Energy is added to the system by the treadmill, what exactly do you think this demonstrates?

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
Here is a shot of the small cart on the treadmill with a closeup of a level. It is flat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =1BRvYZd81AQXX
This one behaves more intuitively, the system loses energy due to mechanical inefficiencies and the cart moves in the direction of the treadmill.

I see nothing here to indicate the cart would be capable of moving faster then the wind directly down wind.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Energy is added to the system by the treadmill, what exactly do you think this demonstrates?
No, no , no.

The treadmill is the same as the cart moving directly downwind at the speed of the wind. If it advances that shows it is going faster than the wind, if it falls back it is going slower than the wind.

That is why I asked you if you understood the concept of a Galilean transformation and why this is the same as a cart on the road.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Urban Cowboy wrote:
I'm not at all surprised, everything in the OT will be proven, including the destruction of Babylon and Noahs' flood.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••