Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178661 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#126768 Apr 12, 2013
Russell, the whole nativity story reeks of being rewritten after the fact.

It is dubious that Mary and Joseph ever went to Bethlehem. Why do I make this claim? Since the gospels were wrong about their being a census at the time of Jesus birth.

One thing that Romans were very good about was keeping records of their activities. The census that occurred in that area did not occur until Jesus was about eleven.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census_of_Quirin...

Many of those other predictions are flawed too. But lets deal with that one for now.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#126769 Apr 12, 2013
russell wrote:
37 Messiah would be forsaken by God. Psalm 22:1
New Testament Fulfillment
Matthew 27:46
Forsaken by Himself? I am sure you have some incredibly funny explanation for that one.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#126770 Apr 12, 2013
Another prophecy that was simply written into the gospels was that Jesus would be called Immanuel. There was one mention of that in all of the New Testaments. In other words the writer, who was familiar with the O.T. remembered that prophecy as almost an afterthought and wrote it in that one verse.

In science a one time event is always looked at with skepticism. You should use the same principles for your Bible. If Jesus was called Immanuel the other gospel writers should have noted it and it should appear more than once.

Another failed prophecy of your Bible.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#126771 Apr 13, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Although there wasn't CSPAN yet, Jesus certainly did this in front of many witnesses.
So he chose the least reliable witnesses at the least reliable period of records .... sounds like he either didn't care, or lied.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#126772 Apr 13, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>When you're resurrected, then I'll believe it.
But, you said that we should believe because evidence we demand before belief will come at some point in the future (but without any timeline for when). So, that level of evidence is not good enough for you to believe I'm God, but you think it IS good enough for us to believe in your God.

Do you see the problem here?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#126773 Apr 13, 2013
russell wrote:
<quoted text>
As I have pointed out previously, even in this day and age if bedsheets are not tucked in at the correct angles, a military member can be charged with disobeying a direct command
This is considered an infrigement and a chargeable offence in a military court of law
Why such a ridiculous standards?
There are worse stories than my meagre example cited here
There was a reason for God managing the million plus Israelites with particular intensity
KNOW YOUR BIBLE
Know the meaning of what has been described
It was essential that the Israelis adhered to the rules that He ordained
They needed to be the nation genetically and spiritually from which the Messiah was to emerge
How would you have maintained the strength, genetic and spiritual purity required by God of a nation such as extracted from Egypt by Moses under God's direction?
THINK Chimney
THINK
They were in the dessert for 40 years
You'd think an omnipotent and omniscient God could come up with a better system than genocide and invoking the death penalty for just about everything. It's almost as if this God were only as intellectually developed as the people who are in the stories, as though he were the product of them rather than they the product of him. But, that would be impossible, because God is eternal, because you need that to be true. So, rather than letting the evidence lead you, you let your conclusion lead you. And that is why you're intellectually dishonest.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#126774 Apr 13, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text> Doesn't this prove that no god has been resurrected yet-including Jesus, if he had been resurrected he would be here. The scripture says every eye shall see him, not just a handful of people.
And, Jesus also said that the end of the world was at hand.

But, regardless, why is "there will be the evidence you seek at some point in the future, perhaps long after you're gone, therefore you should accept my outrageous claims as true" valid for you but not for me?

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

North Miami Beach, FL

#126775 Apr 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So he chose the least reliable witnesses at the least reliable period of records .... sounds like he either didn't care, or lied.
What was unreliable about the witnesses or the period?

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#126776 Apr 13, 2013
"a King I am. For this I have been born and (for this) I have come into the world so that I would
testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth
hears of me my voice." Said to him Pilate, "What is truth?" and this having said, again he went out unto the Jews and said to them, "I find not one fault in him."

-Papyrus P52, dated around 100 AD (1,913 years ago)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rylands_Library_...

"Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

38 Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all."

-From today's King James Version.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#126777 Apr 13, 2013
"Papyrus 66 (also referred to as 66) is a near complete codex of the Gospel of John, and part of the collection known as the Bodmer Papyri.

The manuscript contains John 1:1-6:11, 6:35b-14:26, 29-30; 15:2-26; 16:2-4, 6-7; 16:10-20:20, 22-23; 20:25-21:9, 12, 17. It is one of the oldest New Testament manuscripts known to exist, with its writing dated to around 200 CE."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus_66

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#126778 Apr 13, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Forsaken by Himself? I am sure you have some incredibly funny explanation for that one.
It's amazing how you are prevented from understanding. That is also in the Bible. I don't understand how it happens but it does.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126779 Apr 13, 2013
russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Susan
Would you care to explain these fullfilled prophesies about Jesus?
44 Prophecies Jesus Christ Fulfilled
Prophecies About Jesus ---> NOT AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST
Old Testament Scripture is listed first
1 Messiah would be born of a woman. Genesis 3:15
New Testament Fulfillment Matthew 1:20; Galatians 4:4
----------
2 Messiah would be born in Bethlehem. Micah 5:2
Matthew 2:1; Luke 2:4-6
--
3 Messiah would be born of a virgin. Isaiah 7:14
Matthew 1:22-23; Luke 1:26-31
----------
4 Messiah would come from the line of Abraham. Genesis 12:3; Genesis 22:18
Matthew 1:1; Romans 9:5
----------
5 Messiah would be a descendant of Isaac. Genesis 17:19; Genesis 21:12
Luke 3:34
----------
6 Messiah would be a descendant of Jacob. Numbers 24:17
Matthew 1:2
----------
7 Messiah would come from the tribe of Judah. Genesis 49:10
Luke 3:33; Hebrews 7:14
----------
8 Messiah would be heir to King David's throne. 2 Samuel 7:12-13
Isaiah 9:7
Luke 1:32-33; Romans 1:3
----------
9 Messiah's throne will be anointed and eternal. Psalm 45:6-7; Daniel 2:44
Luke 1:33; Hebrews 1:8-12
----------
10 Messiah would be called Immanuel. Isaiah 7:14
Matthew 1:23
----------
11 Messiah would spend a season in Egypt. Hosea 11:1
Matthew 2:14-15
----------
12 A massacre of children would happen at Messiah's birthplace. Jeremiah 31:15
Matthew 2:16-18
----------
13 A messenger would prepare the way for Messiah Isaiah 40:3-5
Luke 3:3-6
----------
14 Messiah would be rejected by his own people. Psalm 69:8; Isaiah 53:3
John 1:11; John 7:5
----------
15 Messiah would be a prophet. Deuteronomy 18:15
Acts 3:20-22
----------
16 Messiah would be preceded by Elijah. Malachi 4:5-6
Matthew 11:13-14
----------
17 Messiah would be declared the Son of God. Psalm 2:7
Matthew 3:16-17
----------
18 Messiah would be called a Nazarene. Isaiah 11:1
Matthew 2:23
----------
19 Messiah would bring light to Galilee. Isaiah 9:1-2
Matthew 4:13-16
----------
20 Messiah would speak in parables. Psalm 78:2-4; Isaiah 6:9-10
Matthew 13:10-15, 34-35
----------
21 Messiah would be sent to heal the brokenhearted. Isaiah 61:1-2
Luke 4:18-19
----------
22 Messiah would be a priest after the order of Melchizedek. Psalm 110:4
Hebrews 5:5-6
----------
23 Messiah would be called King. Psalm 2:6; Zechariah 9:9
Matthew 27:37; Mark 11:7-11
----------
24 Messiah would be praised by little children. Psalm 8:2
Matthew 21:16
----------
25 Messiah would be betrayed. Psalm 41:9; Zechariah 11:12-13
Luke 22:47-48; Matthew 26:14-16
----------
CONTINUED
You have listed too many events to respond to. If you take scripture literally and do not take verses out of context, it is self explanatory.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126780 Apr 13, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
But, you said that we should believe because evidence we demand before belief will come at some point in the future (but without any timeline for when). So, that level of evidence is not good enough for you to believe I'm God, but you think it IS good enough for us to believe in your God.
Do you see the problem here?
Have you fulfilled any OT scripture? I'm assuming you believe you're Jesus and I do not believe Jesus was the messiah, son of God, or fulfilled any prophecy.

“Rising”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#126781 Apr 13, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand how it happens but it does.
Gosh , I need to take a picture of this.
For the first time since I've read anything you wrote.
You finally said the truth!
LowellGuy

United States

#126782 Apr 13, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Have you fulfilled any OT scripture? I'm assuming you believe you're Jesus and I do not believe Jesus was the messiah, son of God, or fulfilled any prophecy.
I don't have to, because your Bible isn't the true word of God. I have fulfilled all the prophecies that portended my coming in the book that describes reality and my status as God. Your Bible is as true as the book of the dead.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#126783 Apr 13, 2013
russell wrote:
<quoted text>
So He should have waited...?
Eh, Oogah Boogah?
Just to please you....
No, not to please me, to reach all of the people he supposedly wanted to reach. He was ineffective in his delivery. That's pretty lame for an all knowing, all powerful kinda guy ... unless it is all made up bull crap!

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#126784 Apr 13, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>God walked with man in the garden of Eden and is the first. The God of Israel will come to earth in the latter days and is the last "god" All other Gods have been created by men between those two times and are "new gods that came newly up whom your fathers feared not". God is the first and the last. "You shall have no other gods before me"
Horus and Osirus were before the God of Abraham. EPIC FAIL AGAIN!!
Largelanguage

Flint, UK

#126785 Apr 13, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>The level of pain inflicted increases with how much your woman loves you! Castration = Adoration.
:D
Don't worry, I also find it funny that you are emotionally suppressed due to being spanked! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
defender

Duluth, GA

#126786 Apr 13, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>You'd think an omnipotent and omniscient God could come up with a better system than genocide and invoking the death penalty for just about everything. It's almost as if this God were only as intellectually developed as the people who are in the stories, as though he were the product of them rather than they the product of him. But, that would be impossible, because God is eternal, because you need that to be true. So, rather than letting the evidence lead you, you let your conclusion lead you. And that is why you're intellectually dishonest.
You people seem to want a Teddy Bear God that's passing out riches and fair to all... You cannot understand the death and carnage and want to blame God for everything...
How can you read the bible and not understand it?
Man failed not God... I laugh when people talk about the evil demons... Nothing is more despicable, greedy and bloodthirsty than human beings... I can't believe God didn't "invoke the death penalty" as you say long ago...
You don't believe in God?... Guess what? Nobody cares!!! Just stop pushing you're Wiccan religion on children claiming it's science.... Random chance magic pixy dust is not science no matter how much you wish it was...
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126787 Apr 13, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have to, because your Bible isn't the true word of God. I have fulfilled all the prophecies that portended my coming in the book that describes reality and my status as God. Your Bible is as true as the book of the dead.
What book have you fulfilled? The NT or the Quran or some other book? You have blasphemed the word of the living God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 27 min Paul Porter1 141,829
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 38 min Paul Porter1 168,898
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 1 hr Brian_G 6,217
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr ChristineM 19,788
has science finally debunked the 'god' myth? 20 hr Paul Porter1 13
How can we prove God exists, or does not? Thu Paul Porter1 197
How would creationists explain... (Nov '14) Thu Paul Porter1 561
More from around the web