Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 173,706

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#126713 Apr 11, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I am not schizophrenic, I'm bi polar and although I should be, I'm not paranoid although the flying roll said, "the whole world is against me" and I'm mad at the world" with flames of fire around the "mad" It also said, "I set the toilets on fire" and "noticias de manana", Spanish for "news of tomorrow". The flying roll was my diary.

Differential diagnosis would suggest schizoaffective disorder over bipolar disorder.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#126714 Apr 11, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>So you think the Messiah whoever that person may be will have an STD. If that's true it's not me, I am celibate and always have been and am totally pure.

You are taking Biblical quotes out of proper historic and socio/religious context.

And your nuts.
russell

Adelaide, Australia

#126715 Apr 11, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
God might keep his promises, but how do you know God promised it?
Maybe it was just a bunch of hopeful and deluded men, living in a small country surrounded by powerful rivals and enemies, and hoping that sucking up to God would give them a special edge...or writing from the same fertile wellspring of insanity that sustains your delusions too, each building on the last.
You have no evidence that God made the promises of the Bible.
I have distinct evidence in my life that God keeps His promises

I'll tell you about it one day.....maybe never...

The reality is that there are no half measures

You are either FOR God or AGAINST Him

When against Him you are in the default state of alignment with the devil

Great measures are taken to keep you there, unknown to you

There is a Battle for your soul

Why would anyone deny God?

Saul thought he was all for the Lord and His work while slaughtering and arresting members of the new Chrsitian sect

He was shocked by his encounter with the Living God, Jesus, resurrected from death, on the road to Emmaeus

He was converted

Turned a 180 degrees....going from killing and threatening Christians, to preaching Christianity

Eyes can be blinded

Ears can be sealed off against the things of God
russell

Adelaide, Australia

#126716 Apr 11, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You are taking Biblical quotes out of proper historic and socio/religious context.
And your nuts.
Stop trying to diagnose people's perceived mental illnesses, Dogem

Even if you believe you are supremely qualified to do so

Judge not
russell

Adelaide, Australia

#126717 Apr 11, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>They are all false messiahs including Jesus, but that doesn't mean the real Messiah won't come. God promised it and God keeps his promises.
Susan having sex with one's own husband or wife does not render one impure
Sex was God's idea and He is not astonished by properly married people enjoying it
Your celibacy means nothing in the purity stakes
You are as tainted by sin as everyone else....sadly

As a non-believer in Jesus you are still living in accord with the Old Covenant
So what animals do you sacrifice in order to provide regular offerings for your sins?
And do you stick to the Sabbath? Including making no longer than a Sabbath day journey?

"A sabbath-day's journey - As far as might be lawfully traveled by a Jew on the Sabbath. This was 2,000 paces or cubits, or seven furlongs and a half - not quite one mile. See the notes On Matthew 24:20. The distance of a lawful journey on the Sabbath was not fixed by the laws of Moses, but the Jewish teachers had fixed it at 2,000 paces. This measure was determined on because it was a tradition that in the camp of the Israelites, when coming from Egypt, no part of the camp was more than 2000 paces from the tabernacle, and over this space, therefore, they were permitted to travel for worship."

“There is no such thing”

Level 3

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#126718 Apr 12, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Tell that to your wiccan/witch buddies on here. Tell them how there is no supernatural entity listening to their incantations, none eagerly awaiting a blood offering. You have strange bedfellows, Chimney.
RISE CHICKEN

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#126719 Apr 12, 2013
russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Saul thought he was all for the Lord and His work while slaughtering and arresting members of the new Chrsitian sect
He was shocked by his encounter with the Living God, Jesus, resurrected from death, on the road to Emmaeus
He was converted
Turned a 180 degrees....going from killing and threatening Christians, to preaching Christianity
Eyes can be blinded
Sorry but a delusional vision by Saul is not extraordinary evidence of your extraordinary claims. And I can cite dramatic personal turnarounds for just about every cult belief. Seems to go with the territory whether its Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, or Scientology for that matter. Can you understand that?

And I do not deny God, nor believe in God. I have no belief in God because He is not a necessary hypothesis, but I am not saying God could not exist. If God's existence came to make sense I would not be closed to that possibility.

However, I am pretty closed to the possibility of a young earth and Biblical creationism. The evidence against that, notwithstanding your special pleading and quote mining, is overwhelming.

Why don't you ask yourself what the real essence of your own personal turnaround was, and whether it REALLY depends on you believing in literal Genesis. I am sure it does not.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

#126720 Apr 12, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>All the gods of the nations other than Israel are idols. Thor is a part of mythology which is polytheistic and idolatrous.
If there is a real God, then the God of Israel is a distortion too, no better than all the others. In fact the stories of the old Testament all the way to the New can be seen as a growth in human understanding and sophistication about the concept of God. He starts out like a brutal and arbitrary dictator because that is all the early Jews could understand, some kind of "Super Pharaoh". The early God does all kinds of things that sound ridiculous to our ears today for an infinite loving God to do. But He improves over time. Just as human understanding of morality evolves from condemning the result, to condemning the intention, then understanding the failures that led to a bad intention.

For example, we no longer treat accidental killing as the same crime as deliberate murder. And even if that murder is deliberate, we understand that sometimes there are extenuating circumstances.

And perhaps the final part of that journey is the realisation that God was only EVER a concept, a scaffolding by which our growing understanding of the need for truth and compassion in our dealings with others and ourselves.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

#126721 Apr 12, 2013
...could develop and mature.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#126722 Apr 12, 2013
russell wrote:
<quoted text>
He was converted
Eyes can be blinded

But there are many who are deceived and believe they are following God. They do not look closely at the meanings of the words and are caught up in the false doctrine of literalism. I call these lost souls "fundies". They are fruit bearing trees that bear no fruit.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#126723 Apr 12, 2013
russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop trying to diagnose people's perceived mental illnesses, Dogem
Even if you believe you are supremely qualified to do so
Judge not

I would not judge. That is in the purview of the fundies.

If I were an M.D. and recognized the symptoms of cancer would it be judging for me to point it out to the individual so that they can quickly seek out medical attention?

I do not judge people who have cancer or mental illness. I do, sometimes, get upset with them for not getting treatment.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
And your nuts.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#126724 Apr 12, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
Same illustration, different caption. Thor still wins:
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/jesus%20vs%20tho...
Further down the page:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnwq34Gw8R1...

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#126725 Apr 12, 2013
Dogen wrote:
And your nuts.
Always good to have a professional's opinion.

;-)
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126726 Apr 12, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
If you look up idol in a dictionary it says, an image of a god, used as an instrument or object of worship. In monotheistic belief, any heathen deity.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126727 Apr 12, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Differential diagnosis would suggest schizoaffective disorder over bipolar disorder.
That is actually Elijahs diagnosis, I'm supposed to be both.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126728 Apr 12, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
And your nuts.
I know I'm nuts but I'm also lucid. If you're a Christian you're projecting, you take verses out of context and say they were fulfilled.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126729 Apr 12, 2013
russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Susan having sex with one's own husband or wife does not render one impure
Sex was God's idea and He is not astonished by properly married people enjoying it
Your celibacy means nothing in the purity stakes
You are as tainted by sin as everyone else....sadly
As a non-believer in Jesus you are still living in accord with the Old Covenant
So what animals do you sacrifice in order to provide regular offerings for your sins?
And do you stick to the Sabbath? Including making no longer than a Sabbath day journey?
"A sabbath-day's journey - As far as might be lawfully traveled by a Jew on the Sabbath. This was 2,000 paces or cubits, or seven furlongs and a half - not quite one mile. See the notes On Matthew 24:20. The distance of a lawful journey on the Sabbath was not fixed by the laws of Moses, but the Jewish teachers had fixed it at 2,000 paces. This measure was determined on because it was a tradition that in the camp of the Israelites, when coming from Egypt, no part of the camp was more than 2000 paces from the tabernacle, and over this space, therefore, they were permitted to travel for worship."
I observe the Day of Atonement to make propitiation for my sin. God prefers righteousness to sacrifice and yes, I do keep the Sabbath on the seventh day.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#126730 Apr 12, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I know I'm nuts but I'm also lucid. If you're a Christian you're projecting, you take verses out of context and say they were fulfilled.

LOL. You don't know me at ALL!

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#126731 Apr 12, 2013
russell wrote:
<quoted text>
I have distinct evidence in my life...
Anecdotal evidence...
russell wrote:
...that God keeps His promises
...that you won't even share isn't evidence of any kind. Maybe you need to learn what the word "evidence" means. Then, learn about standards of evidence.
russell wrote:
Just because someone isn't "for" something doesn't make them "against" that thing.

Are you for Thor? Or, do you not even consider Thor? If you don't consider Thor, you're not AGAINST Thor.

Or, a better, easier example.

If you go to a restaurant and the waitress asks if you want dessert, just because you don't want dessert doesn't mean you're AGAINST dessert. You're just not "for" dessert.

You're either for God or you're not. You're either in a car or you're not. Not being in a car doesn't make you AGAINST cars.

The "us vs. them" mentality is critical in creating a cult. Everyone who isn't part of the cult is against the cult and against you. They're the enemy. Seriously, have you ever studied cults, and then studied the Bible? It's Cult 101.
russell wrote:
Until you can demonstrate a soul, it's right up there with leprechauns, unicorns, and God as things there's no reason to think exist.
russell wrote:
In two minutes and thirteen seconds you will have the answer. Here you go: http://youtu.be/JJxCFa8YmbQ
russell wrote:
He was converted
Well, he invented his own version of the religion, and spread THAT.
russell wrote:
Eyes can be blinded
And cults seal eyes and ears off against reality.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#126732 Apr 12, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I know I'm nuts but I'm also lucid. If you're a Christian you're projecting, you take verses out of context and say they were fulfilled.
Susan, is 1.10 greater than, less than, or equal to 1.1? This is important.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Need clarification on evolution 26 min DanFromSmithville 3
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 47 min DanFromSmithville 116,637
New review critical of "Origins" 2 hr TedHOhio 11
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 6 hr MikeF 514
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 15 hr Chimney1 137,094
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) 20 hr Kong_ 62
There is no scientific evidence whatsoever for ... 22 hr thewordofme 166
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••