Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180382 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

defender

Tucker, GA

#126786 Apr 13, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>You'd think an omnipotent and omniscient God could come up with a better system than genocide and invoking the death penalty for just about everything. It's almost as if this God were only as intellectually developed as the people who are in the stories, as though he were the product of them rather than they the product of him. But, that would be impossible, because God is eternal, because you need that to be true. So, rather than letting the evidence lead you, you let your conclusion lead you. And that is why you're intellectually dishonest.
You people seem to want a Teddy Bear God that's passing out riches and fair to all... You cannot understand the death and carnage and want to blame God for everything...
How can you read the bible and not understand it?
Man failed not God... I laugh when people talk about the evil demons... Nothing is more despicable, greedy and bloodthirsty than human beings... I can't believe God didn't "invoke the death penalty" as you say long ago...
You don't believe in God?... Guess what? Nobody cares!!! Just stop pushing you're Wiccan religion on children claiming it's science.... Random chance magic pixy dust is not science no matter how much you wish it was...
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126787 Apr 13, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have to, because your Bible isn't the true word of God. I have fulfilled all the prophecies that portended my coming in the book that describes reality and my status as God. Your Bible is as true as the book of the dead.
What book have you fulfilled? The NT or the Quran or some other book? You have blasphemed the word of the living God.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126788 Apr 13, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Horus and Osirus were before the God of Abraham. EPIC FAIL AGAIN!!
The garden of Eden was Gods first appearance and directive, mythology was conceived of much later. Includes also Jesus who came about 2000 years ago and Allah who was developed about 1400 years ago. They're all new gods.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126789 Apr 13, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
And, Jesus also said that the end of the world was at hand.
But, regardless, why is "there will be the evidence you seek at some point in the future, perhaps long after you're gone, therefore you should accept my outrageous claims as true" valid for you but not for me?
Jesus said the kingdom of God was at hand and the end of the world would come in that generation. He was wrong on both counts. I am not proselytizing as you are and my beliefs are not dependent upon people believing in me. I know who I am and I am at peace with it.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126790 Apr 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So he chose the least reliable witnesses at the least reliable period of records .... sounds like he either didn't care, or lied.
The scripture says, "they are their own witnesses, they see not nor know..."
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126791 Apr 13, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
But, you said that we should believe because evidence we demand before belief will come at some point in the future (but without any timeline for when). So, that level of evidence is not good enough for you to believe I'm God, but you think it IS good enough for us to believe in your God.
Do you see the problem here?
There has already been convincing evidence 29 years ago and was enough to convince me and Elijah. God rose me up and cast me down. I ended the cold war and got the Jews out of Russia, both events are prophecied in the bible. I proved who I am by the re enactment of Adam and Eve.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#126792 Apr 13, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
-Papyrus P52, dated around 100 AD (1,913 years ago)
As in, at least 70 years after Jesus' death.

Level 6

Location hidden

#126793 Apr 13, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's amazing how you are prevented from understanding. That is also in the Bible. I don't understand how it happens but it does.
Then allow me to explain.

You claim Jesus IS God. Its your religion's way of getting around the awkward issue of claiming to be monotheistic while obviously espousing two Gods, a Senior Father God and a Junior Son God.

So you say, its really one person and GOD came to Earth in human form.

Then you have the awkward situation where Jesus quotations have him talking about GOD in the third person. In logical terms, that requires two entities, not one.

And then Jesus asks God why God has forsaken him....

Now, God might be mighty big and strong and powerful, but how can HE forsake HIMSELF and even ASK HIMSELF why he is FORSAKING HIMSELF?

You wonder how I can fail to understand that? I think its pretty obvious. Perhaps I should quote Infinite Force's Law of Non-contradiction about now...

Level 6

Location hidden

#126794 Apr 13, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
You people seem to want a Teddy Bear God that's passing out riches and fair to all... You cannot understand the death and carnage and want to blame God for everything...
Man failed not God... I laugh when people talk about the evil demons... Nothing is more despicable, greedy and bloodthirsty than human beings... I can't believe God didn't "invoke the death penalty" as you say long ago...
Can you really not see the emptiness of your argument?

How can you believe in an ommipotent and omniscient God, a God that set up the scene down to every electron, created man and human nature knowing every event and every thought that every human would ever have, knew it since before the Creation...since the beginning of time...

...and not see that if that is the case and man failed, then God set man up to fail?

That, for example the statement "God regretted what He had done" is a logical violation of omniscience?

The whole silly story can only make sense if human action surprised God, and if God could be surprised, he is not omniscient. And if he cannot be surprised, then He is a sadistic bastard, having condemned souls to eternal torment before he even set them in motion.

At least evolution can explain human ferocity a bit more logically than all this nonsense.

Level 6

Location hidden

#126795 Apr 13, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have to, because your Bible isn't the true word of God. I have fulfilled all the prophecies that portended my coming in the book that describes reality and my status as God. Your Bible is as true as the book of the dead.
Well you have convinced me.

Forgive this humble question, Omnipotent One, but how shall I address You from now on?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#126796 Apr 13, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>The garden of Eden was Gods first appearance and directive, mythology was conceived of much later. Includes also Jesus who came about 2000 years ago and Allah who was developed about 1400 years ago. They're all new gods.
Incorrect! The Egyptians were worshiping Horus long before Abraham supposedly existed. Therefore, Horus came before the God of Abraham. You lose!!

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#126797 Apr 13, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>The garden of Eden was Gods first appearance and directive, mythology was conceived of much later. Includes also Jesus who came about 2000 years ago and Allah who was developed about 1400 years ago. They're all new gods.
The Pentateuch was supposedly the writing of Moses and he supposedly lived around 1400+- BC. Most mainline Christian scholars now believe that the Pentateuch was written by 4 different authors around 700 to 500 BC.

So the written Hebrew mythology started at this point...not around 1400+- BC

Of course the Garden of Eden was first mentioned in Genesis which is the first chapter of the Pentateuch. The myths never give a date for any of the happenings in the Pentateuch....men in MUCH later times estimated the dates by following genealogies listed in the book

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#126798 Apr 13, 2013
russell wrote:
<quoted text>
As I have pointed out previously, even in this day and age if bedsheets are not tucked in at the correct angles, a military member can be charged with disobeying a direct command
This is considered an infrigement and a chargeable offence in a military court of law
Why such a ridiculous standards?
There are worse stories than my meagre example cited here
There was a reason for God managing the million plus Israelites with particular intensity
KNOW YOUR BIBLE
Know the meaning of what has been described
It was essential that the Israelis adhered to the rules that He ordained
They needed to be the nation genetically and spiritually from which the Messiah was to emerge
How would you have maintained the strength, genetic and spiritual purity required by God of a nation such as extracted from Egypt by Moses under God's direction?
THINK Chimney
THINK
They were in the dessert for 40 years
Never happened dude. The Exodus is a bogus story. It is myth.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126799 Apr 13, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
The Pentateuch was supposedly the writing of Moses and he supposedly lived around 1400+- BC. Most mainline Christian scholars now believe that the Pentateuch was written by 4 different authors around 700 to 500 BC.
So the written Hebrew mythology started at this point...not around 1400+- BC
Of course the Garden of Eden was first mentioned in Genesis which is the first chapter of the Pentateuch. The myths never give a date for any of the happenings in the Pentateuch....men in MUCH later times estimated the dates by following genealogies listed in the book
Right, and they've calculated that man was created in the year 4004 bce.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#126800 Apr 13, 2013
russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Susan having sex with one's own husband or wife does not render one impure
Sex was God's idea and He is not astonished by properly married people enjoying it
Your celibacy means nothing in the purity stakes
You are as tainted by sin as everyone else....sadly
As a non-believer in Jesus you are still living in accord with the Old Covenant
So what animals do you sacrifice in order to provide regular offerings for your sins?
And do you stick to the Sabbath? Including making no longer than a Sabbath day journey?
"A sabbath-day's journey - As far as might be lawfully traveled by a Jew on the Sabbath. This was 2,000 paces or cubits, or seven furlongs and a half - not quite one mile. See the notes On Matthew 24:20. The distance of a lawful journey on the Sabbath was not fixed by the laws of Moses, but the Jewish teachers had fixed it at 2,000 paces. This measure was determined on because it was a tradition that in the camp of the Israelites, when coming from Egypt, no part of the camp was more than 2000 paces from the tabernacle, and over this space, therefore, they were permitted to travel for worship."
You write:
"Susan having sex with one's own husband or wife does not render one impure
Sex was God's idea and He is not astonished by properly married people enjoying it
Your celibacy means nothing in the purity stakes
You are as tainted by sin as everyone else....sadly."

So where did this 'sin' come from??

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#126801 Apr 13, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Right, and they've calculated that man was created in the year 4004 bce.
4004 BC is something that we all know is wrong.

Humans have been around for hundreds of thousands of years.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#126802 Apr 13, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't believe in God?... Guess what? Nobody cares!!! Just stop pushing you're Wiccan religion on children claiming it's science.... Random chance magic pixy dust is not science no matter how much you wish it was...
All that sounds real good,. except when I decide there is really a god, it will have to accomplish a relatively minor task such as being able to actually appear and speak.

Because quite frankly, you are not convincing me of this heavenly power you speak of.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#126803 Apr 13, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
What was unreliable about the witnesses or the period?

What is unreliable about the witnesses is that there were not any. At least none that wrote down what they saw.

Hint: eye witnesses, then and now, talk in the 1st person about what they have seen.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#126804 Apr 13, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
"a King I am. For this I have been born and (for this) I have come into the world so that I would
testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth
hears of me my voice." Said to him Pilate, "What is truth?" and this having said, again he went out unto the Jews and said to them, "I find not one fault in him."
-Papyrus P52, dated around 100 AD (1,913 years ago)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rylands_Library_...
"Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
38 Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all."
-From today's King James Version.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

?

So?

A better date would be 125 a.d. Not that it matters as both are well past the events they narrate (in the 3rd person).

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#126805 Apr 13, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's amazing how you are prevented from understanding. That is also in the Bible. I don't understand how it happens but it does.

I have see YOUR "understanding" reflected in your posts.

Every hear of "Kindergarten Christianity"?

Reflect on what Paul is saying in 1 Corinthians 3:2.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 41 min Genesis Enigma 162,509
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 42 min Regolith Based Li... 222,016
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Frindly 32,264
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 4 hr The FACTory 855
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 hr Science 77,044
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 17 hr Dogen 4,321
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) Mon The FACTory 101
More from around the web