Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
123,501 - 123,520 of 172,110 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
defender

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Frank Abernathy wrote:
The evolution of life has been based on a series of upgrades, analogous to how computer are upgraded. Computers didn't "evolve" one transistor at a time. They upgraded from transistors to integrated circuits, then motherboards and other kinds of complex processors and finally into "families" of computers all working together (intranet). Last but not least, there is the internet. Each successive upgrade was geometric because it becomes possible to upgrade massive amounts of information in just one event, for example, linking two computers together. Learn more at http://evolution4.wordpress.com .
Yes and all this takes an intelligent design... The computer didn't create itself... Idiot...

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>They are all false messiahs including Jesus, but that doesn't mean the real Messiah won't come. God promised it and God keeps his promises.
God might keep his promises, but how do you know God promised it?

Maybe it was just a bunch of hopeful and deluded men, living in a small country surrounded by powerful rivals and enemies, and hoping that sucking up to God would give them a special edge...or writing from the same fertile wellspring of insanity that sustains your delusions too, each building on the last.

You have no evidence that God made the promises of the Bible.
Elohim

Branford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
I own a mansion und a yacht.
I love that cartoon.

susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
God might keep his promises, but how do you know God promised it?
Maybe it was just a bunch of hopeful and deluded men, living in a small country surrounded by powerful rivals and enemies, and hoping that sucking up to God would give them a special edge...or writing from the same fertile wellspring of insanity that sustains your delusions too, each building on the last.
You have no evidence that God made the promises of the Bible.
I have seen countless prophecies literally and completely fulfilled. Many Christians say the OKJV is one of the worst translations, I think they say that because it disproves Jesus. I think it is the best translation and it has always been Gods intent to live on earth, called "Messiah" which means "anointed one"

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Elizabeth Warren? Really?
Absolutely!! She confronts the corporate elite directly for their actions demolishing the US middle class over the last 40 years. That takes some guts. I hope she runs for POTUS.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I have seen countless prophecies literally and completely fulfilled. Many Christians say the OKJV is one of the worst translations, I think they say that because it disproves Jesus. I think it is the best translation and it has always been Gods intent to live on earth, called "Messiah" which means "anointed one"
Aside from infinity, there is only one number that cannot be counted, and its zero.
LowellGuy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I have seen countless prophecies literally and completely fulfilled. Many Christians say the OKJV is one of the worst translations, I think they say that because it disproves Jesus. I think it is the best translation and it has always been Gods intent to live on earth, called "Messiah" which means "anointed one"
I thought you said you were taking your meds.
LowellGuy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>They are all false messiahs including Jesus, but that doesn't mean the real Messiah won't come. God promised it and God keeps his promises.
Just to clarify: the Abrahamic God is real.

Is Thor real?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Thor real?
Yes, and here is why you should worship him:

http://www.wallz.eu/desktop/222848/religion;c... ;

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Same illustration, different caption. Thor still wins:

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/jesus%20vs%20tho...
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Thor real?
All the gods of the nations other than Israel are idols. Thor is a part of mythology which is polytheistic and idolatrous.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>A lot of false messiahs have had followers but that doesn't prove anything. It also doesn't matter if they work "miracles", anybody can learn sorcery, like Jesus did. I've also seen Chris Angel literally walk on water. Everybody that thinks like I do has a mental illness. Ps. 38:7 "For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease and there is no soundness in my flesh"

Sounds like an STD, not a mental illness.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>All the gods of the nations other than Israel are idols. Thor is a part of mythology which is polytheistic and idolatrous.

Your belief is special, your god is real, your mythology is better.
Your monotheistic god is real because YOU believe.
Yada yada yada , blah blah blah, blah zay scoop yip yip and yah yah.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>That is not entirely true. A person may recover from schizophreniform yet still believe in the experience that they had. The same also happens sometimes with heavy drug users. If the hallucinations are still happening that would be a different matter completely.
TLE is another possibility.

What is possible is not necessarily the most likely.

LSD users report an expanded sense of consciousness that did not go away, but they don't recall their hallucinations as being real.

It is much more common for someone with schizophrenia to have the hallucinations respond to meds but fixed delusions remain, especially in the paranoid type.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and all this takes an intelligent design... The computer didn't create itself... Idiot...

A computer is not a population of living organisms.

My god is so powerful that he can create a universe that creates itself.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll give you a couple more, "by the great force of my disease is my garment changed" and "an evil disease say they cleaves fast unto him..."
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
What is possible is not necessarily the most likely.
LSD users report an expanded sense of consciousness that did not go away, but they don't recall their hallucinations as being real.
It is much more common for someone with schizophrenia to have the hallucinations respond to meds but fixed delusions remain, especially in the paranoid type.
I am not schizophrenic, I'm bi polar and although I should be, I'm not paranoid although the flying roll said, "the whole world is against me" and I'm mad at the world" with flames of fire around the "mad" It also said, "I set the toilets on fire" and "noticias de manana", Spanish for "news of tomorrow". The flying roll was my diary.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think the Messiah whoever that person may be will have an STD. If that's true it's not me, I am celibate and always have been and am totally pure.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>All the gods of the nations other than Israel are idols. Thor is a part of mythology which is polytheistic and idolatrous.
Prove it.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I'll give you a couple more, "by the great force of my disease is my garment changed" and "an evil disease say they cleaves fast unto him..."

Still going with STD.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••