Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
123,481 - 123,500 of 171,518 Comments Last updated 15 hrs ago

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Or Joseph Smith, Jim Jones or David Koresh ... maybe even good ol Charlie M.

It is human to follow, but who would you choose if given the choice of all in known history? Would you lead like

Alaric
Alexander
Constantine
The Khans
The Romanovs
Washington
General Lee
Sun Myung Moon
Hitler
Jesus
Some other
Einstein
Patton
James T Kirk

A simple question, so hard to answer.

Who are your heros?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
It is human to follow, but who would you choose if given the choice of all in known history? Would you lead like
Alaric
Alexander
Constantine
The Khans
The Romanovs
Washington
General Lee
Sun Myung Moon
Hitler
Jesus
Some other
Einstein
Patton
James T Kirk
Who are your heros?

Buddha as he did not really want followers.

Jesus was okay before Paul gave him a (Pharisee/stoic) makeover.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think so many people with symptoms like yours are nuts and you are the lucky one who happens to believe the truth?
I could literally write a book about that. It would take months, 16 hours a day, non stop chatter. Just briefly, the 3 wise men, the drummer boy, the star in the east with the kings visiting, the flying roll, the birth of Emanuel, the voice from heaven, the "betrayal" for 30 pieces of silver (quarters), the "crucifixion", the conversations with Gabrielle and Rabbi Snitzer, my cat Cornus, just to name a few. The movie "Desperately seeking Susan" was about me made in 1985 and if you google "desperately seeking Susan B Lange" on a yahoo page you will find it listed. I ended the cold war and got the Jews out of Russia. I also don't think I'm lucky, I've been physically tortured and I'm going to be killed.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Yikes....

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I could literally write a book about that. It would take months, 16 hours a day, non stop chatter. Just briefly, the 3 wise men, the drummer boy, the star in the east with the kings visiting, the flying roll, the birth of Emanuel, the voice from heaven, the "betrayal" for 30 pieces of silver (quarters), the "crucifixion", the conversations with Gabrielle and Rabbi Snitzer, my cat Cornus, just to name a few. The movie "Desperately seeking Susan" was about me made in 1985 and if you google "desperately seeking Susan B Lange" on a yahoo page you will find it listed. I ended the cold war and got the Jews out of Russia. I also don't think I'm lucky, I've been physically tortured and I'm going to be killed.

That is certainly interesting. Sounds like a lot of events have conspired to convince you.

Still, others have just as much proof. One of the Jesus's I knew had all sorts of collected documents, people attesting to his powers, had correspondence from Anton VaVey, and had a number of signs that testified to who he was. He also just happened to have a mental illness.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Alaric
Alexander
Constantine
The Khans
The Romanovs
Washington
General Lee
Sun Myung Moon
Hitler
Jesus
Some other
Einstein
Patton
James T Kirk
Who are your heros?
I think

Linus Torvalds
Elizabeth Warren

Are very heroic ....

But truth be told, I am not much of a "follower" in anything.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
That is certainly interesting. Sounds like a lot of events have conspired to convince you.
Still, others have just as much proof. One of the Jesus's I knew had all sorts of collected documents, people attesting to his powers, had correspondence from Anton VaVey, and had a number of signs that testified to who he was. He also just happened to have a mental illness.
A lot of false messiahs have had followers but that doesn't prove anything. It also doesn't matter if they work "miracles", anybody can learn sorcery, like Jesus did. I've also seen Chris Angel literally walk on water. Everybody that thinks like I do has a mental illness. Ps. 38:7 "For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease and there is no soundness in my flesh"

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Gobekli Tepe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>You may believe it's fiction, I believe it's real mainly because I've seen so much of the bible fulfilled. What you believe is okay, right now it doesn't even matter.
Yes, but what we believe is proven fact.
LowellGuy

Lawrence, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I could literally write a book about that. It would take months, 16 hours a day, non stop chatter. Just briefly, the 3 wise men, the drummer boy, the star in the east with the kings visiting, the flying roll, the birth of Emanuel, the voice from heaven, the "betrayal" for 30 pieces of silver (quarters), the "crucifixion", the conversations with Gabrielle and Rabbi Snitzer, my cat Cornus, just to name a few. The movie "Desperately seeking Susan" was about me made in 1985 and if you google "desperately seeking Susan B Lange" on a yahoo page you will find it listed. I ended the cold war and got the Jews out of Russia. I also don't think I'm lucky, I've been physically tortured and I'm going to be killed.
I own a mansion und a yacht.
LowellGuy

Lawrence, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
I think
Linus Torvalds
Elizabeth Warren
Are very heroic ....
But truth be told, I am not much of a "follower" in anything.
Elizabeth Warren? Really?
LowellGuy

Lawrence, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>A lot of false messiahs have had followers but that doesn't prove anything. It also doesn't matter if they work "miracles", anybody can learn sorcery, like Jesus did. I've also seen Chris Angel literally walk on water. Everybody that thinks like I do has a mental illness. Ps. 38:7 "For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease and there is no soundness in my flesh"
Cross Angel never really walked on water. In fact, he disdains anybody who claims to have magical powers as frauds and charlatans.

I saw Ric Okasec walk on water in a music video.

I saw David Copperfield walk through the Great Wall of China.

I saw the Amazing Jonathan drink Windex and swallow razor blades that he strung on a thread while they were in his stomach.

Magicians also aren't really pulling coins out of your ear.
LowellGuy

Lawrence, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Stupid auto-correct.

Criss Angel.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

LowellGuy wrote:
Stupid auto-correct.
Criss Angel.
Walked on clear acrylic plexiglass , in a pool.
It's invisible at certain angles, he's an illusionist.
Maybe Jesus was an illusionist? lol who know?

“There is no such thing”

Level 3

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Not likely. Her symptoms, by her own report, have gone on for years. When someone recovers from schizophreniform disorder (or BPE, or PD-NOS) they stop believing their hallucinations are real.
That is not entirely true. A person may recover from schizophreniform yet still believe in the experience that they had. The same also happens sometimes with heavy drug users. If the hallucinations are still happening that would be a different matter completely.
TLE is another possibility.

“There is no such thing”

Level 3

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Alaric
Alexander
Constantine
The Khans
The Romanovs
Washington
General Lee
Sun Myung Moon
Hitler
Jesus
Some other
Einstein
Patton
James T Kirk
Who are your heros?
I'd go with Patton
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>A lot of false messiahs have had followers but that doesn't prove anything.
What you guys don't get: they are ALL false Messiahs.

There are no Messiahs. There is no hotline to God.

We are grown ups now, on our own, responsible for making decisions.

Why can't you people grow up?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>If I'm supposed to be the Antichrist, I'm supposed to have a (deadly) head wound that is healed (by Elijah) I take my medicine, am lucid and haven't been hospitalized since January 1986. My head wound is mainly a psychological scar that was caused by the "crucifixion" which wasn't a crucifixion at all, it happened when I was 8 years old.
WTF?

“talk to the kitteh”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Things that are not random do not require active intelligence to organize.
Moron. I can' believe they let your posts stand in here. Too bad all you have to say is that you believe evolution even when you don't understand it to not get blasted for your stupid comments.

“talk to the kitteh”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell that to your wiccan/witch buddies on here. Tell them how there is no supernatural entity listening to their incantations, none eagerly awaiting a blood offering. You have strange bedfellows, Chimney.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
They are all false messiahs including Jesus, but that doesn't mean the real Messiah won't come. God promised it and God keeps his promises.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

13 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 22 min wondering 113,130
GOP House candidate Bob Frey believes dinosaurs... 48 min The Dude 20
One reason some Atheists arecomplete idiots. 54 min The Dude 58
British Ban Teaching Creationism As Science, Sh... 1 hr wondering 153
The Universe is fine-tuned for life 1 hr wondering 418
Big Bang? 2 hr TurkanaBoy 297
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 15 hr Dogen 134,506
•••
•••