Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
123,461 - 123,480 of 171,381 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Not likely. Her symptoms, by her own report, have gone on for years. When someone recovers from schizophreniform disorder (or BPE, or PD-NOS) they stop believing their hallucinations are real.
Ps 38:7 "For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease and there is no soundness in my flesh." I also had an auditory and olfactory hallucination 29 years ago but the voice from heaven on Mothers Day 5/13/84 was real, "Wake up Maggie", then the song played on the radio. The other one was a fragrance of roses in my apartment after I read the flying roll Zech. 5:1-4, my diary and it said, "I came out smelling like a rose".

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Ps 38:7 "For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease and there is no soundness in my flesh." I also had an auditory and olfactory hallucination 29 years ago but the voice from heaven on Mothers Day 5/13/84 was real, "Wake up Maggie", then the song played on the radio. The other one was a fragrance of roses in my apartment after I read the flying roll Zech. 5:1-4, my diary and it said, "I came out smelling like a rose".
When one is hallucinating ones sense of time can become scrambled too. Part of your brain can recognize a song before another part does and the internal miscommunication may lead you to think that you predicted the song would play.

If your own brain is suspect then you cannot treat events that happened to you as evidence.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Ps 38:7 "For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease and there is no soundness in my flesh." I also had an auditory and olfactory hallucination 29 years ago but the voice from heaven on Mothers Day 5/13/84 was real, "Wake up Maggie", then the song played on the radio. The other one was a fragrance of roses in my apartment after I read the flying roll Zech. 5:1-4, my diary and it said, "I came out smelling like a rose".

olfactory hallucinations (phantosmia) are indicative of a head injury or brain damage due to substance abuse.

This being the case I would recommend a neurologist rather than a psychiatrist. Antipsychotic medications may or may not help.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phantosmia/A...

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I really do believe Abraham existed and God started his cult with him. If Abraham didn't exist, God would've started his cult with somebody else.
And what if neither of them existed?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Marshall Applewhite maybe.
Or Joseph Smith, Jim Jones or David Koresh ... maybe even good ol Charlie M.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
When one is hallucinating ones sense of time can become scrambled too. Part of your brain can recognize a song before another part does and the internal miscommunication may lead you to think that you predicted the song would play.
If your own brain is suspect then you cannot treat events that happened to you as evidence.
I understand what you're saying about time. People in the throws of a psychotic episode usually can't tell you what year it is. I believe the voice was validated by the song, there was also an incident around the same time when my face was lit up like a light bulb, literally.

“The Whisper”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Yes but as a theory as we did not find the missing link.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
olfactory hallucinations (phantosmia) are indicative of a head injury or brain damage due to substance abuse.
This being the case I would recommend a neurologist rather than a psychiatrist. Antipsychotic medications may or may not help.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phantosmia/A...
If I'm supposed to be the Antichrist, I'm supposed to have a (deadly) head wound that is healed (by Elijah) I take my medicine, am lucid and haven't been hospitalized since January 1986. My head wound is mainly a psychological scar that was caused by the "crucifixion" which wasn't a crucifixion at all, it happened when I was 8 years old.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Lagrangian L2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I really do believe Abraham existed and God started his cult with him. If Abraham didn't exist, God would've started his cult with somebody else.
Remember that Abraham is part of the Pentateuch that Moses is supposed to have written. Moses is no doubt a fictional character according to present day Biblical scholars.

So we have a fictional character writing about a fictional character and writing about fictional happenings (Creation, Adam and Eve, Flood, Babel, Exodus, etc.).

A fictional character writing fictional accounts in the 5 different chapters of the Pentateuch describing the beginning of the universe and the foundation of the Hebrew people and the Jewish religion.

So, look.....its all fiction
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember that Abraham is part of the Pentateuch that Moses is supposed to have written. Moses is no doubt a fictional character according to present day Biblical scholars.
So we have a fictional character writing about a fictional character and writing about fictional happenings (Creation, Adam and Eve, Flood, Babel, Exodus, etc.).
A fictional character writing fictional accounts in the 5 different chapters of the Pentateuch describing the beginning of the universe and the foundation of the Hebrew people and the Jewish religion.
So, look.....its all fiction
You may believe it's fiction, I believe it's real mainly because I've seen so much of the bible fulfilled. What you believe is okay, right now it doesn't even matter.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I understand what you're saying about time. People in the throws of a psychotic episode usually can't tell you what year it is. I believe the voice was validated by the song, there was also an incident around the same time when my face was lit up like a light bulb, literally.

Sense perception distortions.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>If I'm supposed to be the Antichrist, I'm supposed to have a (deadly) head wound that is healed (by Elijah) I take my medicine, am lucid and haven't been hospitalized since January 1986. My head wound is mainly a psychological scar that was caused by the "crucifixion" which wasn't a crucifixion at all, it happened when I was 8 years old.

I am glad you take your medicine. Some meds work well for hallucinations but not so much for delusions.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>You may believe it's fiction, I believe it's real mainly because I've seen so much of the bible fulfilled. What you believe is okay, right now it doesn't even matter.

Funny, I have not seen the same, even though I have met several people who believed/claimed/implied they were Jesus, the son of Jesus or the brother (second begotten son of God) of Jesus.

Of course I have also met a man who thought he was a rooster, a man who was plagued by killer bees, a man who believed he was from another planet, a woman in telepathic communication with aliens, a woman who was a vampire.....

Actually, 2 women vampires, now that I think about it. Only one was the blood sucking type.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Lagrangian L2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

AwE130 wrote:
Yes but as a theory as we did not find the missing link.
There is no need to look for a 'missing link' anymore. We have DNA and it has already established the link to older hominids such as: Homo-neanderthalensis, Homo-heidelbergensis, Homo-habilis, Homo-erectus, etc.

The jig is up....We ARE from the great ape line.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I am glad you take your medicine. Some meds work well for hallucinations but not so much for delusions.
My doctor does not believe I'm delusional although I have been at times when I would stop taking my meds, I also do not hallucinate. This has been going on for almost 30 years and my doctor actually believes in me. He's Jewish and Elijah and he knows it although it took him 24 years to admit it. He's very prominent in his field and did a famous case history of me presented in Mexico back in the very early eighties, that was before my calling began.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, I have not seen the same, even though I have met several people who believed/claimed/implied they were Jesus, the son of Jesus or the brother (second begotten son of God) of Jesus.
Of course I have also met a man who thought he was a rooster, a man who was plagued by killer bees, a man who believed he was from another planet, a woman in telepathic communication with aliens, a woman who was a vampire.....
Actually, 2 women vampires, now that I think about it. Only one was the blood sucking type.
There's a few people on this forum that are probably off their meds. One thinks he's god, one Adam and one Elijah. I asked my doctor why they believe things like that and he said, "Because they're nuts". My calling lasted 10 months and everything up until this time has happened.

“talk to the kitteh”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Want to see something interesting on that point?
Folie Deux
A madness shared by two IS my favorite.:)

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text> There's a few people on this forum that are probably off their meds. One thinks he's god, one Adam and one Elijah. I asked my doctor why they believe things like that and he said, "Because they're nuts". My calling lasted 10 months and everything up until this time has happened.

Why do you think so many people with symptoms like yours are nuts and you are the lucky one who happens to believe the truth?

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I understand what you're saying about time. People in the throws of a psychotic episode usually can't tell you what year it is. I believe the voice was validated by the song, there was also an incident around the same time when my face was lit up like a light bulb, literally.
What part of this is supposed to make us think you haven't had some sort of brain injury?

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text> There's a few people on this forum that are probably off their meds. One thinks he's god, one Adam and one Elijah. I asked my doctor why they believe things like that and he said, "Because they're nuts". My calling lasted 10 months and everything up until this time has happened.
But you're not one of the nuts. Nope, not you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••