Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178695 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#126667 Apr 10, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Want to see something interesting on that point?
Folie Deux
A madness shared by two IS my favorite.:)

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#126668 Apr 10, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text> There's a few people on this forum that are probably off their meds. One thinks he's god, one Adam and one Elijah. I asked my doctor why they believe things like that and he said, "Because they're nuts". My calling lasted 10 months and everything up until this time has happened.

Why do you think so many people with symptoms like yours are nuts and you are the lucky one who happens to believe the truth?

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#126669 Apr 10, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I understand what you're saying about time. People in the throws of a psychotic episode usually can't tell you what year it is. I believe the voice was validated by the song, there was also an incident around the same time when my face was lit up like a light bulb, literally.
What part of this is supposed to make us think you haven't had some sort of brain injury?

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#126670 Apr 10, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text> There's a few people on this forum that are probably off their meds. One thinks he's god, one Adam and one Elijah. I asked my doctor why they believe things like that and he said, "Because they're nuts". My calling lasted 10 months and everything up until this time has happened.
But you're not one of the nuts. Nope, not you.

“The Edge”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#126671 Apr 10, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Or Joseph Smith, Jim Jones or David Koresh ... maybe even good ol Charlie M.

It is human to follow, but who would you choose if given the choice of all in known history? Would you lead like

Alaric
Alexander
Constantine
The Khans
The Romanovs
Washington
General Lee
Sun Myung Moon
Hitler
Jesus
Some other
Einstein
Patton
James T Kirk

A simple question, so hard to answer.

Who are your heros?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#126672 Apr 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
It is human to follow, but who would you choose if given the choice of all in known history? Would you lead like
Alaric
Alexander
Constantine
The Khans
The Romanovs
Washington
General Lee
Sun Myung Moon
Hitler
Jesus
Some other
Einstein
Patton
James T Kirk
Who are your heros?

Buddha as he did not really want followers.

Jesus was okay before Paul gave him a (Pharisee/stoic) makeover.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126673 Apr 10, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think so many people with symptoms like yours are nuts and you are the lucky one who happens to believe the truth?
I could literally write a book about that. It would take months, 16 hours a day, non stop chatter. Just briefly, the 3 wise men, the drummer boy, the star in the east with the kings visiting, the flying roll, the birth of Emanuel, the voice from heaven, the "betrayal" for 30 pieces of silver (quarters), the "crucifixion", the conversations with Gabrielle and Rabbi Snitzer, my cat Cornus, just to name a few. The movie "Desperately seeking Susan" was about me made in 1985 and if you google "desperately seeking Susan B Lange" on a yahoo page you will find it listed. I ended the cold war and got the Jews out of Russia. I also don't think I'm lucky, I've been physically tortured and I'm going to be killed.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#126674 Apr 10, 2013
Yikes....

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#126675 Apr 10, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I could literally write a book about that. It would take months, 16 hours a day, non stop chatter. Just briefly, the 3 wise men, the drummer boy, the star in the east with the kings visiting, the flying roll, the birth of Emanuel, the voice from heaven, the "betrayal" for 30 pieces of silver (quarters), the "crucifixion", the conversations with Gabrielle and Rabbi Snitzer, my cat Cornus, just to name a few. The movie "Desperately seeking Susan" was about me made in 1985 and if you google "desperately seeking Susan B Lange" on a yahoo page you will find it listed. I ended the cold war and got the Jews out of Russia. I also don't think I'm lucky, I've been physically tortured and I'm going to be killed.

That is certainly interesting. Sounds like a lot of events have conspired to convince you.

Still, others have just as much proof. One of the Jesus's I knew had all sorts of collected documents, people attesting to his powers, had correspondence from Anton VaVey, and had a number of signs that testified to who he was. He also just happened to have a mental illness.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#126676 Apr 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Alaric
Alexander
Constantine
The Khans
The Romanovs
Washington
General Lee
Sun Myung Moon
Hitler
Jesus
Some other
Einstein
Patton
James T Kirk
Who are your heros?
I think

Linus Torvalds
Elizabeth Warren

Are very heroic ....

But truth be told, I am not much of a "follower" in anything.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126677 Apr 10, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
That is certainly interesting. Sounds like a lot of events have conspired to convince you.
Still, others have just as much proof. One of the Jesus's I knew had all sorts of collected documents, people attesting to his powers, had correspondence from Anton VaVey, and had a number of signs that testified to who he was. He also just happened to have a mental illness.
A lot of false messiahs have had followers but that doesn't prove anything. It also doesn't matter if they work "miracles", anybody can learn sorcery, like Jesus did. I've also seen Chris Angel literally walk on water. Everybody that thinks like I do has a mental illness. Ps. 38:7 "For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease and there is no soundness in my flesh"

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#126678 Apr 10, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>You may believe it's fiction, I believe it's real mainly because I've seen so much of the bible fulfilled. What you believe is okay, right now it doesn't even matter.
Yes, but what we believe is proven fact.
LowellGuy

Lowell, MA

#126679 Apr 10, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I could literally write a book about that. It would take months, 16 hours a day, non stop chatter. Just briefly, the 3 wise men, the drummer boy, the star in the east with the kings visiting, the flying roll, the birth of Emanuel, the voice from heaven, the "betrayal" for 30 pieces of silver (quarters), the "crucifixion", the conversations with Gabrielle and Rabbi Snitzer, my cat Cornus, just to name a few. The movie "Desperately seeking Susan" was about me made in 1985 and if you google "desperately seeking Susan B Lange" on a yahoo page you will find it listed. I ended the cold war and got the Jews out of Russia. I also don't think I'm lucky, I've been physically tortured and I'm going to be killed.
I own a mansion und a yacht.
LowellGuy

Lowell, MA

#126680 Apr 10, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
I think
Linus Torvalds
Elizabeth Warren
Are very heroic ....
But truth be told, I am not much of a "follower" in anything.
Elizabeth Warren? Really?
LowellGuy

Lowell, MA

#126681 Apr 10, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>A lot of false messiahs have had followers but that doesn't prove anything. It also doesn't matter if they work "miracles", anybody can learn sorcery, like Jesus did. I've also seen Chris Angel literally walk on water. Everybody that thinks like I do has a mental illness. Ps. 38:7 "For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease and there is no soundness in my flesh"
Cross Angel never really walked on water. In fact, he disdains anybody who claims to have magical powers as frauds and charlatans.

I saw Ric Okasec walk on water in a music video.

I saw David Copperfield walk through the Great Wall of China.

I saw the Amazing Jonathan drink Windex and swallow razor blades that he strung on a thread while they were in his stomach.

Magicians also aren't really pulling coins out of your ear.
LowellGuy

Lowell, MA

#126682 Apr 10, 2013
Stupid auto-correct.

Criss Angel.

“The Edge”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#126683 Apr 10, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
Stupid auto-correct.
Criss Angel.
Walked on clear acrylic plexiglass , in a pool.
It's invisible at certain angles, he's an illusionist.
Maybe Jesus was an illusionist? lol who know?

“There is no such thing”

Level 3

as a reasonable person

#126684 Apr 10, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Not likely. Her symptoms, by her own report, have gone on for years. When someone recovers from schizophreniform disorder (or BPE, or PD-NOS) they stop believing their hallucinations are real.
That is not entirely true. A person may recover from schizophreniform yet still believe in the experience that they had. The same also happens sometimes with heavy drug users. If the hallucinations are still happening that would be a different matter completely.
TLE is another possibility.

“There is no such thing”

Level 3

as a reasonable person

#126685 Apr 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Alaric
Alexander
Constantine
The Khans
The Romanovs
Washington
General Lee
Sun Myung Moon
Hitler
Jesus
Some other
Einstein
Patton
James T Kirk
Who are your heros?
I'd go with Patton

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#126686 Apr 11, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>A lot of false messiahs have had followers but that doesn't prove anything.
What you guys don't get: they are ALL false Messiahs.

There are no Messiahs. There is no hotline to God.

We are grown ups now, on our own, responsible for making decisions.

Why can't you people grow up?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min Chilli J 173,590
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 12 hr Dogen 143,913
Satan's Lies and Scientist Guys (Sep '14) 13 hr Chilli J 13
How would creationists explain... (Nov '14) 20 hr Chimney1 583
News Intelligent design 21 hr Paul Porter1 22
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory 21 hr Paul Porter1 421
Darwinism: Science or Philosophy? 21 hr Paul Porter1 56
More from around the web