Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 174,458

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Patagonia

#126633 Apr 9, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text> It is equally unlikely the universe could exist on its own with even the slightest variation in composition. Most prophecies have already been fulfilled, the first parts up until VWD Day and that could happen at any time. The biggest prophecy in the bible or single event is the photographs Adam took and sold to the publicizers for $7.50 paid in quarters 29 years ago. Then Adam, Matthew and Luke hung themselves at ATO frat house (of brothers) Alpha Tao Omega. Zechariah 11
OK....now I know you're nuts.
Urban Cowboy

United States

#126634 Apr 10, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The elements of chemistry are arranged in the periodic table because that is what makes sense and because the way elements are constructed at the subatomic level makes it the only possible arrangement. And by the way its NOT a nested hierarchy and cannot be forced into one.
On the other hand, the species of earth past and present are arranged in a nested hierarchy because that is what makes sense and because of the way they came to exist as a result of branching, common ancestry, which makes it the only possible arrangement. It is a nested hierarchy and cannot be arranged meaningfully any other way. Even Linnaeus, NOT using evolutionary principles, arranged life into a nested hierarchy, just looking at current species in isolation from the past! But he could not explain that arrangement, merely record it.
Evolution EXPLAINS the nested hierarchy of life the way the physics of protons, neutrons, and electrons EXPLAINS the structure of the Periodic Table.
It's a perfect NH with NO exceptions?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#126635 Apr 10, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty much perfect. There may be some debate when we get to the ends of some branches exactly which branch a particular species goes into, that happens usually if there is insufficient data.

But if you could find a major flaw in any of the several phylogenetic trees that there are you would severely harm the theory of evolution.

Good luck, you are going to need it.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#126636 Apr 10, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually there is one. That is, the assemblage of a eukaryote from bacterial prokaryote organisms such as the inclusion of mitochondria. This would not be a straight darwinian process of inheritance but more a communalism.

However, at higher levels esp multicellular, organisms cannot simply absorb others or swap plasmids in the same way. This enforced separation means no exceptions to the nested hierarchy.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#126637 Apr 10, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
The Old Testament is mostly ALL mythical stories....no truth in there at all.
Science can, and has, disproven the foundational stories of the Hebrews.
I would say the later the book, the more history it contains. As we move into real historical times and episodes, there is some correspondence with archaeological records. Note that even the "magic" diminishes from creating heavens and world wide floods and talking donkeys, down to prophecies of doom etc.

Like Herodotus, we start to see historical chronicle replacing pure myths...

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#126638 Apr 10, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I have complete faith that day will come and it should happen by the end of 2014. There will be no magic involved, just signs, wonders and miracles. It will be unmistakable.
It will be so unmistakable that 99.9999999% of humanity will not agree with you that it occurred. Fancy that.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#126639 Apr 10, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you suppose violates the nested hierarchy? NOTE: not having a 100% complete lineage isn't a violation.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#126640 Apr 10, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
And here you see the delusional CHristian Creationist mind at work.

Pointedly disregard the 99.9% of the evidence FOR evolution and a 4.5 billion year old earth and try to nibble at the edges and find some one "fact" which can, somehow, with a hopeful mentality, be twisted into sort of agreeing with a young earth point of view.

The LIES they think they need to tell for Jesus' sake! LOL

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#126641 Apr 10, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
How is it that the oldest bat fossil looks exactly - that's right, I said EXACTLY - like a modern bat?
One thousand fossil bats found, "dated" from 52 MYA (from just one museum alone in Germany).
All fossilized bats discovered to date are fully developed and capable of flying.
It is not right to blame the lack of bat ancestors on the processes of fossilization since millions of other fossils, even soft bodied fossils, from the time period and prior have been fossilized and collected by museums.
Again, ALL fossil bats discovered - thousands of them - are of fully formed bats that look exactly like modern bats and none of them - zero - are of predicted evolutionary ancestors.
The bat is just one example of this. There are hundreds of similar examples like this, and no examples of the predicted evolutionary ancestors for any creature. Nothing! Invertebrates, fish, bats, sea lions, reptiles, dinosaurs, whales, birds, plants; nothing!
How does a rational person keep his/her faith in macroevolution in the face of these facts?

Has anyone ever been impressed with incredulous lying?

Me neither.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#126642 Apr 10, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text> In the OT, false gods and idols are called "devils". The Devil is a father and a son, Satan (Adam) and Lucifer (Jesus). This doctrine is acknowledged in the NT, Jesus is called the second or seed of Adam. Not only is Satan jesus father, he is also jesus god, he took satans offer of the world if he would serve him. Jesus came out preaching the kingdom of God and it still hasn't come. Christians are bent on evangelizing the world, and it will come down to Jesus vs. the Messiah and they will fight for mens souls and spirits. If they cling to their idols til the end they won't make it. An idol is a physical representation of a god, like the images of Jesus on the cross.

I like Gnostic literature, but take it for what it is!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#126643 Apr 10, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Most likely Schizophreniform Disorder.
http://www.webmd.com/schizophrenia/guide/ment...

Not likely. Her symptoms, by her own report, have gone on for years. When someone recovers from schizophreniform disorder (or BPE, or PD-NOS) they stop believing their hallucinations are real.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#126644 Apr 10, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
NO! EVOLUTION SHOULD NOT BE TAUGHT IN SCHOOLS AS AN ABSOLUTE TRUTH!
Any teaching, pseudo-science or pseudo-scientific method that rejects absolute truths should not be accepted by ANY individual who attend any schools on this planet! Schools can each what-ever they want, but individuals who hold on to absolute truths should REJECT such teachings INCLUNDING THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION because it is a pseudo-science!
You are free to teach whatever you want! Itís up to the individual to decide what an absolute truth is or what not an absolute truth is because schools donít teach this!

Absolute truth would be, by definition, absolute AND true. It is NOT up to individuals to decide for themselves what is absolute truth. It either IS absolute truth, or it is not.

Period.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#126645 Apr 10, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
<quoted text>
I got a grip Mike. I am free to exercise my freedom of speech just like everybody else does in here (law of non-contradiction) when it comes to reality/nature. It's not my problem people or sciences have a problem with absolute truths!!
If I canít speak about nature or reality in absolute truths no-one is allowed to speak about non-absolute truths about nature/reality! The law of non-contradiction stands and is flawless!

I'm sorry, but we have refuted it several times now. You seem to lack understanding of why it does not work. If you have specific questions about what we have explained to you then please ask them.

I thought I had been pretty clear, but perhaps not.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#126646 Apr 10, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeap! Since reality/nature is an absolute truth your pseudo-scientific method donít need to be talking about nature/reality because it is an absolute truth! YOUR SCIENTIFIC METHOD THAT SCIENCE USES IS DISQUALIFIED BECAUSE NATURE/REALITY IS NOT FALSIFIABLE BECAUSE NATURE DOESNíT CONTRADICT ITS SELF!
ON THE COONTRARY, IF THE INFORMATION MAN/WOMAN SPEAK OF REALITY/NATURE CONTRADICTS ITS SELF IT IS THE ONLY THING THAT CAN BE PROVED AS FALSE NOT NATURE/REALITY!
You discover and find other absolute truths off of the other ones and the first one is accepting and knowing nature/reality is an absolute truth and formulate the scientific method law of non-contradiction found in nature NOT BY MAN/WOMAN because nature donít contradict its self and neither should the information MAN/WOMAN put out when they speak of nature/reality! The law of non-contradiction is a flawless scientific method validated off of how nature works!

An argument that is so circular that it made me dizzy!

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#126647 Apr 10, 2013
I'm just tickled that Urban Cowboy agrees that he looks EXACTLY like a Cro-Magnon.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126648 Apr 10, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really believe Abraham existed??
I really do believe Abraham existed and God started his cult with him. If Abraham didn't exist, God would've started his cult with somebody else.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126649 Apr 10, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
It will be so unmistakable that 99.9999999% of humanity will not agree with you that it occurred. Fancy that.
Is. 24:6 "Therefore has the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate; therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned and few men left. Hopefully more than 3, probably 3%. So 97% will not agree.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#126650 Apr 10, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I really do believe Abraham existed and God started his cult with him. If Abraham didn't exist, God would've started his cult with somebody else.
Marshall Applewhite maybe.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126651 Apr 10, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Not likely. Her symptoms, by her own report, have gone on for years. When someone recovers from schizophreniform disorder (or BPE, or PD-NOS) they stop believing their hallucinations are real.
Ps 38:7 "For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease and there is no soundness in my flesh." I also had an auditory and olfactory hallucination 29 years ago but the voice from heaven on Mothers Day 5/13/84 was real, "Wake up Maggie", then the song played on the radio. The other one was a fragrance of roses in my apartment after I read the flying roll Zech. 5:1-4, my diary and it said, "I came out smelling like a rose".

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#126652 Apr 10, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Ps 38:7 "For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease and there is no soundness in my flesh." I also had an auditory and olfactory hallucination 29 years ago but the voice from heaven on Mothers Day 5/13/84 was real, "Wake up Maggie", then the song played on the radio. The other one was a fragrance of roses in my apartment after I read the flying roll Zech. 5:1-4, my diary and it said, "I came out smelling like a rose".
When one is hallucinating ones sense of time can become scrambled too. Part of your brain can recognize a song before another part does and the internal miscommunication may lead you to think that you predicted the song would play.

If your own brain is suspect then you cannot treat events that happened to you as evidence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Darwin on the rocks 8 min Kenedy njoroge 374
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 19 min MikeF 121,141
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 2 hr The Dude 721
Bobby Jindal: "I'm Not an Evolutionary Biologist" 3 hr woodtick57 383
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 6 hr MikeF 138,204
Monkey VS Man Oct 19 Bluenose 14
Charles Darwin's credentials and Evolution Oct 19 TurkanaBoy 204

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE