Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
123,421 - 123,440 of 172,109 Comments Last updated 4 min ago

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
What else is it, Mugwump?
Genetic drift?
Random mutations?
It is simple
It is easy to understand
Which is precisely why descent with modification is impossible as an explanation for single celled organisms becoming complex multicellular creatures
Things that are not random do not require active intelligence to organize.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
<shrug> Let me know when Pegasus flies up your butt so I can know to be on the look out for the rest of it.
Is. 6:10 "Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes and hear with their ears and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed."
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
And the Muslims claim THEIR religion is the most special...
And the Buddhists claim THEIR religion is the most special...
And the Hindus claim THEIR religion is the most special...
etc. etc.
Abraham was the chosen one in his time and produced Judaism Christianity and Islam. Hindus are from Ham and Buddhists from Japheth. God chose Shem before Abraham to reveal himself thru and has been narrowing it down.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Is. 6:10 "Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes and hear with their ears and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed."
1Cr 2:14 "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned."

And so what?? Can you prove anything spiritual exists? Anything at all?? Thought not!!
urban cowboy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You know that it is claimed to be devastating, the foundation of the slam dunk that is the independently converging lines of evidence from the fossil record, pseudogenes, ERVs, and ubiquitous proteins.
Since we say it cannot be refuted, you prefer to put your blinkers on and blindly chant "its trivial!". Be careful to stay ignorant, because if you were not, you would have to lie deliberately to defend your position.
It's ridiculous..

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Abraham was the chosen one in his time and produced Judaism Christianity and Islam. Hindus are from Ham and Buddhists from Japheth. God chose Shem before Abraham to reveal himself thru and has been narrowing it down.
This insinuates that God is "narrowing it down" because he doesn't already know the best answer, which would mean he is not all knowing and therefore, not the God he is claimed to be.

You've been worshiping a fraud. Congratulations!!
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
1Cr 2:14 "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned."
And so what?? Can you prove anything spiritual exists? Anything at all?? Thought not!!
I don't pollute my thinking with Christian theology. "Their molten images are wind and confusion"

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

McMurdo Station

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Abraham was the chosen one in his time and produced Judaism Christianity and Islam. Hindus are from Ham and Buddhists from Japheth. God chose Shem before Abraham to reveal himself thru and has been narrowing it down.
Do you really believe Abraham existed??
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
This insinuates that God is "narrowing it down" because he doesn't already know the best answer, which would mean he is not all knowing and therefore, not the God he is claimed to be.
You've been worshiping a fraud. Congratulations!!
God narrowed it down to Abraham and his family and has been building it up, eventually to encompass the righteous in the whole world. The children of Israel are as numerous as the sand on the seashore and all the righteous will be welcome.

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>God narrowed it down to Abraham and his family and has been building it up, eventually to encompass the righteous in the whole world. The children of Israel are as numerous as the sand on the seashore and all the righteous will be welcome.
So, he didn't know which persons were "righteous" when he created them? You know that means he's a fraud.

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I don't pollute my thinking with Christian theology. "Their molten images are wind and confusion"
It doesn't really matter, your theology and theirs are based on the same poppycock.

There is no fish or whale, living or extinct that could hold a living man in its stomach and regurgitate him after three days.

There is no evidence of a global flood.

There is no evidence of Abraham or Moses.

All made up poppy cock.
LowellGuy

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Nothing was written until Moses came and recorded the Torah as dictated by God. There was only an oral tradition that was handed down for generations beginning with Abraham. Actually, God chose the Semitic peoples to reveal himself to and this includes most of the nations in the middle east. God chose Abraham to start his cult and that's what makes them special.
Moses introduced written language to the Hebrews? How would they read the laws if they hadn't had written language until then? For that matter, what society with written language has not, at some point, written down its laws in some way? Does that first writing change the law or invalidate old laws or make the written law somehow superior to the oral tradition laws before them?

Do you hear yourself? I don't mean the voices in your head.
LowellGuy

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Birds can grow teeth
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...
Fish can grow limbs, too.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

urban cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's ridiculous..
The elements of chemistry are arranged in the periodic table because that is what makes sense and because the way elements are constructed at the subatomic level makes it the only possible arrangement. And by the way its NOT a nested hierarchy and cannot be forced into one.

On the other hand, the species of earth past and present are arranged in a nested hierarchy because that is what makes sense and because of the way they came to exist as a result of branching, common ancestry, which makes it the only possible arrangement. It is a nested hierarchy and cannot be arranged meaningfully any other way. Even Linnaeus, NOT using evolutionary principles, arranged life into a nested hierarchy, just looking at current species in isolation from the past! But he could not explain that arrangement, merely record it.

Evolution EXPLAINS the nested hierarchy of life the way the physics of protons, neutrons, and electrons EXPLAINS the structure of the Periodic Table.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I don't pollute my thinking with Christian theology. "Their molten images are wind and confusion"
As are your mental images.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

How did we suddenly get two king-sized delusional nutcases, Infinite Force and susanblange, on this forum?

Did Russell import them just to give himself a semblance of rationality by comparison?

Level 9

McMurdo Station

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Nothing was written until Moses came and recorded the Torah as dictated by God. There was only an oral tradition that was handed down for generations beginning with Abraham. Actually, God chose the Semitic peoples to reveal himself to and this includes most of the nations in the middle east. God chose Abraham to start his cult and that's what makes them special.
You have some slight problems with your little story about Moses.
First Moses did not write what you think he did, and he probably did not exist.

The general belief among Biblical scholars is that the Pentateuch was written by at least 4 different people and it was written around 700 to 400 BC. Moses would have (if he existed) lived around 1400 BC.

Another problem is that there are 2 irreconcilable anachronism problems in his stories that point to it having been written much much later then originally thought.

Writing had been around since about 3000+ BC, but the Hebrews are thought to have become literate around 700 to 600 BC. IF the story were true Moses would have been writing Egyptian as that was what he would have been taught in the Egyptian palace/household.

There are more problems there, but another time.

Level 9

McMurdo Station

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Reincarnation is a fact but humans can only come back as humans, they have a human spirit. You also can only be reincarnated if you went to heaven, if you went to hell you're history, angels have a choice. Some people have been sent back, like Satan (Adam) and Lucifer (Jesus), they both have a role to play in the end times, so their spirits were preserved.
Susan you have your stories badly mixed up. You probably need to study Christianity and Buddhism a little more.

Level 9

McMurdo Station

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

the dark lord wrote:
Did you know that some monastic groups pre date the RCC by millions of years?
Humans have only been around for about 200,000 years my friend.

Level 9

McMurdo Station

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>When the God of Israel comes to this earth I doubt you will call it mythology. God created the earth to be inhabited and will reign and rule on earth forever. The Bible (OT) will be literally fulfilled and the Messiah will deliberately not fulfill the NT (book of Revelation)
The Old Testament is mostly ALL mythical stories....no truth in there at all.

Science can, and has, disproven the foundational stories of the Hebrews.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••