Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
123,361 - 123,380 of 171,383 Comments Last updated 5 hrs ago
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Archaeopteryx: bird or dinosaur?
Bird

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Bird
Really, even without a reversed hallux?

Creatards have been on both sides on this particular species which makes it a perfect transitional fossil.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
There aren't any in there. I'm not lying. Take trilobites as they are representative of the fossil record of invertebrates. There are over 100,000 discovered and no trilobite ancestors found. It's the same story no matter what fossil you examine. There just isn't any evidence. ALl the trilobites are fully formed trilobites and they are fabulously complex and diverse. But there's nothing in the fossil record - no direct ancestors of trilobites - no direct ancestors prior to the Cambrian older than 540 MYA.
And you don't see this as a problem for evolution? Is it really scientific to never see any weaknesses; to refuse any criticisms? Doesn't this make it personal?
We already did the trilobite thing. Have you forgotten already?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Bird
Did you ever notice that all birds have reptilian scales on their feet? Funny that, huh?
Frank Abernathy

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

The evolution of life has been based on a series of upgrades, analogous to how computer are upgraded. Computers didn't "evolve" one transistor at a time. They upgraded from transistors to integrated circuits, then motherboards and other kinds of complex processors and finally into "families" of computers all working together (intranet). Last but not least, there is the internet. Each successive upgrade was geometric because it becomes possible to upgrade massive amounts of information in just one event, for example, linking two computers together. Learn more at http://evolution4.wordpress.com .
LowellGuy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Bird
Birds have teeth? Really?
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are talking about mythology too.
"God" is a concept.
"The living God of Israel etc" is a mythology. You just happen to believe in this mythology and not say, the Greek or the Zoroastrian or the Hindu.
When the God of Israel comes to this earth I doubt you will call it mythology. God created the earth to be inhabited and will reign and rule on earth forever. The Bible (OT) will be literally fulfilled and the Messiah will deliberately not fulfill the NT (book of Revelation)

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Israel is not a myth and the Jews are not a myth. God established Israel. God also sent prophets to warn and guide Israel about falling into sin and idolatry. This God will come and live on earth and it's always been her intent. When we witness God, we'll know there is a God. The OT will be literally and completely fulfilled. The bible is about God the Messiah.
Yawn. Greece is not a myth either. Doesn't mean that Apollo is real.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>When the God of Israel comes to this earth I doubt you will call it mythology. God created the earth to be inhabited and will reign and rule on earth forever. The Bible (OT) will be literally fulfilled and the Messiah will deliberately not fulfill the NT (book of Revelation)
If that day comes, then obviously you will finally have empirical evidence for all your magical claims. Right now you have nothing. You might just as well claim that Aliens probed your nether regions, its just as believable.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's quite the opposite. We have everything and you have nothing. Every fossil ever found made its first appearance fully formed. If creation is true that is what we would expect. That's millions of fossils to our credit. What do you have? Not a single true transitional. A million to one in our favor.
Here we go again. The idiotic myth that an intermediate is a "half formed" creature, an incomplete creature.

Not evolution, buddy, not even close. Just another exceedingly silly straw man.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yawn. Greece is not a myth either. Doesn't mean that Apollo is real.
Greece and Greeks produced Apollo not the other way around. The Lord created the nation of Israel and the Jews not the other way around.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on his statements, it is clear that Darwin accepted acquired characteristics as one of the mechancisms throughout his lifetime.
I never meant to say it his whole theory of evolution was overturned by the tail-cutting experiment but at least part (AC) of what Darwin thought responsible was.
You said Darwin rejected and even refuted acquired characteristics which couldn't be further from the truth. He stated in his Origins book that these were inherited and in a letter to his cousin he said he believed in it more than ever. It was only several years after his death that the tail-cutting experiment proved acquired characteristics wrong.
(If you thought I said it refuted Darwin's theory of evolution that it is not what I meant to say.) I meant to say it refuted acquired characteristics which should have been obvious. Sorry I called you names but you always start it don't you?
And I promise I won't scream went you go off on your one-trick-pony, nested hierarchies. I just ignore it because - no offense - it's just that it's inconsequential. It sounds good but has no real teeth in it. You need real evidence like fossils and observing macrochange happen. Real evidence. Not comparing similarities which by the way has also been proved wrong.
Why else do you not see "nested hierarchy" used as evidence in peer-reviewed research?
What you really need is fossils of direct ancestors for all plants or animals; what I need is plants and animal fossils first appearing fully formed: I win by a landslide. You need numerous beneficial genetic mutations creating new organs, tissues, function; I need the complete absense of same and evidence of genetic entropy and loss of information resulting in disease which I have a plethora of: I win.
Now moving onto "evolution" of Whales....
Actually you DID say those experiments debunked Darwin. I will take your backtracking as an apology for an extravagant claim. At the same time, I accept that I overstated his position when I claimed he refuted acquired characteristics outright.

The fact remains, he did not rely on them and his theory did not depend on them. But you are right, he did not reject them. Come to think of it, it would have been dogmatic of him to have done so before experimental evidence ruled them out.

------

Sorry mate, but your claim that the nested hierarchy is a "one trick pony of no consequence" merely reminds me that no only do you NOT understand it, or its importance, but you have deliberately avoided gaining that understanding. To me that is a conscious avoidance effort because you know that its devastating to your case.

It is MERELY the only structure compatible with common descent and furthermore, its existence in the fossil record and the genome has only ever been explained rationally by common descent. Knowing its that crucial, you prefer to trivialise it rather than try to understand it. And don;t tell me you DO understand it. I know that is false or you would not have made such clunkers as claiming that modern amphibian markers should be more like fish markers than mammal markers etc. Nothing could be more wrong, and more revealing of your ignorance. And its used in peer reviewed research all the time.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Russell wrote:
I have asked Chimney, which animals have actually evolved
All I got was stony silence
Liar.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If that day comes, then obviously you will finally have empirical evidence for all your magical claims. Right now you have nothing. You might just as well claim that Aliens probed your nether regions, its just as believable.
I have complete faith that day will come and it should happen by the end of 2014. There will be no magic involved, just signs, wonders and miracles. It will be unmistakable.

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>When the God of Israel comes to this earth I doubt you will call it mythology. God created the earth to be inhabited and will reign and rule on earth forever. The Bible (OT) will be literally fulfilled and the Messiah will deliberately not fulfill the NT (book of Revelation)
When Pegasus flies up your butt, I doubt you will call that mythology either. Fortunately, the odds of either of them occurring are extremely miniscule and approximately equal.

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I have complete faith that day will come and it should happen by the end of 2014. There will be no magic involved, just signs, wonders and miracles. It will be unmistakable.
Harold! You've been shown wrong thrice, why go for a fourth?
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
When Pegasus flies up your butt, I doubt you will call that mythology either. Fortunately, the odds of either of them occurring are extremely miniscule and approximately equal.
It is equally unlikely the universe could exist on its own with even the slightest variation in composition. Most prophecies have already been fulfilled, the first parts up until VWD Day and that could happen at any time. The biggest prophecy in the bible or single event is the photographs Adam took and sold to the publicizers for $7.50 paid in quarters 29 years ago. Then Adam, Matthew and Luke hung themselves at ATO frat house (of brothers) Alpha Tao Omega. Zechariah 11

“Pope & President”

Since: Aug 12

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Here we go again. The idiotic myth that an intermediate is a "half formed" creature, an incomplete creature.
Not evolution, buddy, not even close. Just another exceedingly silly straw man.
Want to see some real straw man. Want some. Want some.

“Pope & President”

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Did you know that some monastic groups pre date the RCC by millions of years?

“Pope & President”

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Evolutionary regression kids, haven"t you read the dead sea scrolls.

Well Mary Magdalene wrote several books one in particular interest here.

She disposed death and believed that people that were sinners that were subjected to Christian burial would crawl away as worms.

Hinduism too argues the case that people will regress into animals, have you read Hinduya Kush's book eternal flame. He believes that most pen are coming back a dirty dogs, filthy pigs, and wicked jackals.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••