Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 173,585

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#126470 Apr 6, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Wolves and Chihuahuas are still the same species. As are all dogs and coyotes. No macroevolution.
Incorrect, wolves are canis lupus while Chihuahuas and all other dogs are Canis lupus familiaris a subspecies of canis lupus.
But the Chihuahua and wolf are at the edge of speciation, you aren't suggesting wolves and Chihuahua's breed are you?
Though it maybe possible, I hardly see how , without human help this could happen. So in fact it is evidence of evolution.

Whether dumbassed cowboys like it or not!

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#126471 Apr 6, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Invertebrate fossils found are in the hundreds of millions and some 500,000 fish fossils have been found; however, no transitional forms - not even one example - has ever been found between vertebrates and invertebrates. So how could vertebrate evolution be any mystery? Isn't this evidence clear enough? What if 10 years from now we find another 100,000 fish fossils and another million invertebrate fossils, and there still is no transitional forms between the two groups? Would this be enough to change anyone's mind?
Fish are proposed to have evolved from invertebrates; however, we have millions of elasmobranchs, actinistains, holocephalians, dipnoans, heterostracans, thelodontids, climatiformes, acanthodiformes, rhenanids, pyyctodontids, arthrodires, antiarchs, paleonisciformes, porolepiformes, anapsids, osteostracans, and osteolepiformes; and yet, not a single solitary common ancestor fish of any of them has ever been found. Hundreds of millions to none!
Are the ancestors of each fish group really missing? Every major group of fish that we know anything about appears fully formed without any trace of ancestor for any of them. Without prejudice, and speaking as objectively as possible, doesn't this suggest that the fossil evidence says macroevolution never happened?
Have you tried Google?

Chordates, members of the phylum Chordata, are deuterostome animals possessing a notochord, a hollow dorsal nerve cord, pharyngeal slits, an endostyle, and a post-anal tail for at least some period of their life cycles. Taxonomically, the phylum includes the subphyla Vertebrata, including mammals, fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds; Tunicata, including salps and sea squirts; and Cephalochordata, comprising the lancelets.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chordate

Craniata
Main article: Craniata
Craniate: Hagfish

Craniates, one of the three subdivisions of chordates, have distinct skulls - including hagfish, which have no vertebrae. Michael J. Benton comments, "craniates are characterized by their heads, just as chordates, or possibly all deuterostomes, are by their tails." [6]

Most are vertebrates, in which the notochord is replaced by the spinal column[7], which consists of a series of bony or cartilaginous cylindrical vertebrae, generally with neural arches that protect the spinal cord and with projections that link the vertebrae. Hagfish have incomplete braincases and no vertebrae, and are therefore not regarded as vertebrates,[8] but as members of the craniates, the group from which vertebrates are thought to have evolved.[9] The position of lampreys is ambiguous. They have complete braincases and rudimentary vertebrae, and therefore may be regarded as vertebrates and true fish.[10] However, molecular phylogenetics, which uses biochemical features to classify organisms, has produced both results that group them with vertebrates and others that group them with hagfish.[11]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chordate#Craniat...
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126472 Apr 6, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
All life on earth is our cousin, every plant, animal and microbe. This has been verified many different ways. You simply don't want to believe it.
I was created by my mother in the image and likeness of the living God. What separates us from every other life form is our spirit which has the capacity to go to heaven. Animals and plants don't go to heaven.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

North Miami Beach, FL

#126473 Apr 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect, wolves are canis lupus while Chihuahuas and all other dogs are Canis lupus familiaris a subspecies of canis lupus.
But the Chihuahua and wolf are at the edge of speciation, you aren't suggesting wolves and Chihuahua's breed are you?
Though it maybe possible, I hardly see how , without human help this could happen. So in fact it is evidence of evolution.
You can't be a little pregnant. You either are you are aren't. Dumbass.

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#126474 Apr 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
There are plenty of examples of dogs breeding in the wild with Wolves and coyotes. Surely even dumbassed voodoo darwin zombees have heard that.

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#126475 Apr 6, 2013
OMG the Evos are so friggin' stupid.
LowellGuy

United States

#126476 Apr 6, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I was created by my mother in the image and likeness of the living God. What separates us from every other life form is our spirit which has the capacity to go to heaven. Animals and plants don't go to heaven.
Prove any of that.

Level 8

Location hidden

#126478 Apr 6, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
There are plenty of examples of dogs breeding in the wild with Wolves and coyotes. Surely even dumbassed voodoo darwin zombees have heard that.
With chihuahuas? Are you on drugs?
LowellGuy

United States

#126479 Apr 6, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a different animal. Seals are not Sea Lions. Nonetheless, there have been 5,000 fossil seals found and so now you have one iffy seal that is claimed to have feet? How did this creature develop the ability to dive 1 mile deep? Remember that the theory of Acquired Characteristics has been falsified. Even a Los Angeles Class Nuclear attack submarine can only dive 800 feet. But a seal can dive over 5,000 feet. If an animal were not designed to dive so deep it would be crushed under tremendous pressure. So how could it possibly acquire that ability? And similarity between two animals groups can not prove evolution because many other animals appear similar but are unrelated. This is really very poor, almost meaningless evidence.
How is this not exactly the god of the gaps argument?
LowellGuy

United States

#126480 Apr 6, 2013
susanblange wrote:
Each species of plant and animal life was created independently. You can "create" new life forms that were not a part of the original act by "grafting" and developing a hybrid. For animal species, procreation is not possible outside of their class of animals. One breed of dog can mate with another breed and produce offspring, but it is against nature for different types animals to inbreed and even if they did, it is not possible for them to produce young. Dogs don't mate with cats, etc.
Grafting does change DNA. It's akin to an organ transplant. Do you know anything about biology or botany or anything scientific?

Level 8

Location hidden

#126481 Apr 6, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I was created by my mother in the image and likeness of the living God. What separates us from every other life form is our spirit which has the capacity to go to heaven. Animals and plants don't go to heaven.
Gosh , you dont even give ya daddy any credit?(Shrugs)

Level 8

Location hidden

#126482 Apr 6, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Come to think of it you might want to point out these examples where domesticated animals meet up with wild animals for sex. So example me up cuz bro.

Level 8

Location hidden

#126483 Apr 6, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't be a little pregnant. You either are you are aren't. Dumbass.
Why are you pregnant? I'm not , heck I never even tried to get pregnant. How'd you do that?

Level 8

Location hidden

#126484 Apr 6, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
But they aren't even pregnant. I guess belief in god gets cowboys pregnant, and cowboys that aren't pregnant are stupid.
At least according to those weird believer cowboys that get pregnant.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126485 Apr 6, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove any of that.
Ecc. 3:21 "Who knows the spirit of man that goes upward, and the spirit of the beast that goes downward to the earth?" I'm assuming you're not disputing the fact that we were created by a woman.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126486 Apr 6, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Grafting does change DNA. It's akin to an organ transplant. Do you know anything about biology or botany or anything scientific?
I'm much more into physics and would love to have an in depth knowledge of it. I have a basic knowledge of biology but not beyond high school and that was a long time ago. Most if not all the prophets had at least a rudimentary understanding of science Dan. 1:4 and you need that to fully understand God.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126487 Apr 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Gosh , you dont even give ya daddy any credit?(Shrugs)
I actually take after my fathers side of the family to his mother, I have her hair, skin and eyes. In Judaism, if your mother is Jewish you are considered Jewish but not if your father is and your mother isn't. The seed is only the fertilizer, we all started out as our mothers egg.

Level 8

Location hidden

#126488 Apr 6, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text> I actually take after my fathers side of the family to his mother, I have her hair, skin and eyes. In Judaism, if your mother is Jewish you are considered Jewish but not if your father is and your mother isn't. The seed is only the fertilizer, we all started out as our mothers egg.
Now you conflict with DNA.
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#126489 Apr 6, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
We're not the ones getting laughed at by pretty much everyone outside of your bronze age fairy tale cult.

We're not the ones who think the first man was magically conjured up out of a pile of dirt.

We're not the ones who believe magic fruit that makes an eater immortal ever existed.

We're not the ones who think that humans and dinosaurs lived together.

We're not the ones who think a raft full of animals and people can survive a global cataclysmic flood that can destroy entire continents and shoot the asteroids and comets into orbit BILLIONS of miles out into space.

We're not the ones who believe in angels and demons, giants and unicorns, and satyrs and cockatrices.

We're not the ones who believe that animals can actually talk.

Anyone who has ever dealt with you idiot "fundaMENTALshit xristian creotards" KNOWS who the friggin' stupid ones are.
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#126490 Apr 6, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text> I'm much more into physics and would love to have an in depth knowledge of it. I have a basic knowledge of biology but not beyond high school and that was a long time ago. Most if not all the prophets had at least a rudimentary understanding of science Dan. 1:4 and you need that to fully understand God.
It's a bronze age, goat herder fairy tale. It's not real. Most, if not all, of the "prophets" were fictional characters in a camp fire story told by scientifically and historically ignorant people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 2 hr Zog Has-fallen 491
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr thewordofme 137,083
There is no scientific evidence whatsoever for ... 3 hr thewordofme 156
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) 3 hr Dogen 56
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 hr FREE SERVANT 116,548
Bobby Jindal: "I'm Not an Evolutionary Biologist" 8 hr TedHOhio 1
Satan's Lies and Scientist Guys 11 hr TedHOhio 5
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••