Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180279 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126487 Apr 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Gosh , you dont even give ya daddy any credit?(Shrugs)
I actually take after my fathers side of the family to his mother, I have her hair, skin and eyes. In Judaism, if your mother is Jewish you are considered Jewish but not if your father is and your mother isn't. The seed is only the fertilizer, we all started out as our mothers egg.

“e pluribus unum”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#126488 Apr 6, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text> I actually take after my fathers side of the family to his mother, I have her hair, skin and eyes. In Judaism, if your mother is Jewish you are considered Jewish but not if your father is and your mother isn't. The seed is only the fertilizer, we all started out as our mothers egg.
Now you conflict with DNA.
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#126489 Apr 6, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
OMG the Evos are so friggin' stupid.
We're not the ones getting laughed at by pretty much everyone outside of your bronze age fairy tale cult.

We're not the ones who think the first man was magically conjured up out of a pile of dirt.

We're not the ones who believe magic fruit that makes an eater immortal ever existed.

We're not the ones who think that humans and dinosaurs lived together.

We're not the ones who think a raft full of animals and people can survive a global cataclysmic flood that can destroy entire continents and shoot the asteroids and comets into orbit BILLIONS of miles out into space.

We're not the ones who believe in angels and demons, giants and unicorns, and satyrs and cockatrices.

We're not the ones who believe that animals can actually talk.

Anyone who has ever dealt with you idiot "fundaMENTALshit xristian creotards" KNOWS who the friggin' stupid ones are.
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#126490 Apr 6, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text> I'm much more into physics and would love to have an in depth knowledge of it. I have a basic knowledge of biology but not beyond high school and that was a long time ago. Most if not all the prophets had at least a rudimentary understanding of science Dan. 1:4 and you need that to fully understand God.
It's a bronze age, goat herder fairy tale. It's not real. Most, if not all, of the "prophets" were fictional characters in a camp fire story told by scientifically and historically ignorant people.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#126491 Apr 6, 2013
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>We're not the ones getting laughed at by pretty much everyone outside of your bronze age fairy tale cult.
So what? One Midutch? I also laugh at you! Ha ha ha ha!
Level 6

Miami, FL

#126492 Apr 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Come to think of it you might want to point out these examples where domesticated animals meet up with wild animals for sex. So example me up cuz bro.
It's called Google. Try it.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#126493 Apr 6, 2013
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>We're not the ones getting laughed at by pretty much everyone outside of your bronze age fairy tale cult.
We're not the ones who think the first man was magically conjured up out of a pile of dirt.
We're not the ones who believe magic fruit that makes an eater immortal ever existed.
We're not the ones who think a raft full of animals and people can survive a global cataclysmic flood that can destroy entire continents and shoot the asteroids and comets into orbit BILLIONS of miles out into space.
We're not the ones who believe in angels and demons, giants and unicorns, and satyrs and cockatrices.
Anyone who has ever dealt with you idiot "fundaMENTALshit xristian creotards" KNOWS who the friggin' stupid ones are.
Thanks for demonstrating how stupid and hypocritical you are.

“e pluribus unum”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#126494 Apr 6, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called Google. Try it.
So now wild wolves find domestic dogs to breed with using Google?
And no thanks, I'm not a dog like you.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#126495 Apr 6, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I was created by my mother in the image and likeness of the living God. What separates us from every other life form is our spirit which has the capacity to go to heaven. Animals and plants don't go to heaven.
Prove empirically that a spirit exists ... any spirit at all .... I'll wait.
LowellGuy

Salem, MA

#126496 Apr 6, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Ecc. 3:21 "Who knows the spirit of man that goes upward, and the spirit of the beast that goes downward to the earth?" I'm assuming you're not disputing the fact that we were created by a woman.
The Bible isn't evidence of its own claims. If I claim something, and point to my claim as proof of my claim, does that actually prove anything?

You did not prove any of your claims. Try again.
LowellGuy

Salem, MA

#126497 Apr 6, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text> I'm much more into physics and would love to have an in depth knowledge of it. I have a basic knowledge of biology but not beyond high school and that was a long time ago. Most if not all the prophets had at least a rudimentary understanding of science Dan. 1:4 and you need that to fully understand God.
Define "rudimentary understanding of science."
HTS

Mandan, ND

#126498 Apr 6, 2013
MIDutch wrote:
No, you're the ones who believe that the evo-fairy did it with pixie dust, and you call your fairytales science.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#126499 Apr 6, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you're the ones who believe that the evo-fairy did it with pixie dust, and you call your fairytales science.
Your lies are not fooling even your fellow creatards HST.

It would be nice if you learned even a smidgeon of science so that we would have some other reply for you besides gales of laughter.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#126500 Apr 6, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are dead wrong Chimney. Darwin's belief that acquired characteristics were (partly) responsible for evolution continued throughout his lifetime:
In 1875, 16 years after writing The Origin of Species, Darwin wrote this to his cousin, Francis Galton:
"If this implies that many parts are not modified by USE and DISUSE during the life of the individual, I differ widely from you, as every year I come to attribute more and more to such agency." -Charles Darwin
Suck it dimwit.
He does not say that such modification becomes INHERITED by the offspring, UC. Suck it right back.

The core of Darwin's theory is that inherited variation is selected and passed on. Not acquired characteristics. That was Lamarck's theory.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#126501 Apr 6, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't be a little pregnant. You either are you are aren't. Dumbass.
Ring Species show you are wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_species
Level 6

Miami, FL

#126502 Apr 7, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
He does not say that such modification becomes INHERITED by the offspring, UC. Suck it right back.
The core of Darwin's theory is that inherited variation is selected and passed on. Not acquired characteristics. That was Lamarck's theory.
My God you are the most pigheaded a-hole I have ever met. What the hell do you think he was talking about? Does Origin of the Species give you a clue?

Acquired characteristics was a theory of great antiquity that was accepted by many for thousands of years and of course was also called Lamarckianism after the man who promoted it.

It is quite clear from numerous quotes that Darwin thought that if a horse was exercised and developed large muscles, its offspring would then have large musceles too. In the Origin of Species, Darwin wrote,

"I think that there can be little doubt that use in our domestic animals stregthens and enlarges certain parts, and disuse diminishes them; and that such modifications are INHERITED."

Did you catch that Chimney, Darwin said "that such modifications are "I-N-H-E-R-I-T-E-D".

Enough said. This little exercise has only proven how incredibly resistant you are to correction even on your own belief system! It's just unbelievable how stubborn you are! If you are this stubborn about errors in your own beliefs then you will surely never reject your failed theory no matter how wrong it is.(And it's very, very wrong indeed!)

(...and if I hear "nested hierarchy" one more time I'm going to scream.)
Level 6

Miami, FL

#126503 Apr 7, 2013
The interesting thing about dinosaurs is that each of different has different number of bones and differently shaped bones so that no two of them could be possible ancestors of each other. Of the 32 or 33 T.rex dinosaurs that have been found, not a single direct ancestor of T.rex has been uncovered in any layer preceeding it.(There's also of course Dr. Mary Schweitzer's T.rex soft tissue discovery but that's another discussion altogether!)

So how could it be if dinosaurs lived for over 100 million years (not!), we have so many appearing suddenly in the fossil record? This hard fact of no direct ancestors in any previoius layer suggests simply that they never existed in the first place and that evolution never happened.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#126504 Apr 7, 2013
So where are all the direct ancestors of dinosaurs like T.rex and Triceratops? If you believe in evolution who are forced to say that they were not fossilized or that they haven't been found yet. Or I could point out that they should have been found by now and this lack of ancestors is evidence that the theory of evolution is a myth.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#126505 Apr 7, 2013
Over 30 million dinosaur bones have been discovered and thousands of skeletons of some 700 species of dinosaur and even after all that, not a single direct ancestor has been found in any layer for any dinosaur. Sound familiar?

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#126506 Apr 7, 2013
susanblange wrote:
If there is no heaven then there is no God. The bible acknowledges heaven but if you're a Christian you can doubt. How do you explain near death experience and if there is no heaven, then Jesus is dead and there is no God. How can you believe in the bible and not believe in heaven and hell?
The Bible is not evidence of the Bible's veracity. Evidence for a claim must come from outside the claim itself.

It's sad that your intellect has been corrupted by stupid superstition. Hopefully, you can break free.

Let's try an exercise.

Do you believe in Osiris?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Subduction Zone 57,829
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Eagle 12 27,234
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 3 hr Dogen 159,201
News Intelligent Design Education Day 4 hr replaytime 2
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 hr replaytime 219,597
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 10 hr Dogen 1,749
News Betsy DeVos' Code Words for Creationism Offshoo... Feb 16 scientia potentia... 1
More from around the web