Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126410 Apr 5, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Total contradiction?
“not making any claims”
then in the very next sentence
“My thoughts and beliefs are engraved in stone”
Surely this is a claim? So you lied…
So given that you have written an obvious lie here does this mean that any trust you thought you engendered is blown out the window?
You may perceive that as a lie but I don't, I have no need or reason to lie, give me a reason to lie. I'm just saying I have a comprehensive understanding of the Hebrew scriptures. The movie "Desperately seeking Susan" was about what happened 30 years ago when God called me.
Tyler in Wonderland

Hazleton, PA

#126411 Apr 5, 2013
Well here's an interesting article...
http://www.the-scientist.com/...
No mention of bats I'm afraid, but I understand coelocanths were popular around here for a while...?
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126412 Apr 5, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Crazy... Bat shit crazy... People will believe anything... All you gotta do is tell them...
" We're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy" Seal. Don't you think all this God and Messiah stuff is total insanity? "Of the Rock that begat thee thou art unmindful" Supertramp
defender

United States

#126413 Apr 5, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>... That if you believe this book written by a bunch of sheep shaggers, and are really sorry when you die, then you will come back and live forever.

And if you don't believe their nonsense you will be tortured forever.

Yup, tell some people batshit crazy stuff like that and you could fool, oh I don't know, at least one third of the population of the world.
Well then why don't you shed some light on the afterlife??... Or is there no afterlife?.... Care to answer?

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#126414 Apr 5, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Because macroevolution never happened? And "Cro Magnon" is just a distant relative of mine?
What about the Australopithecines? Are they distant relatives of yours?

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#126415 Apr 5, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then why don't you shed some light on the afterlife??... Or is there no afterlife?.... Care to answer?
We're not making a claim about it. We're saying there's no evidence that such a thing exists. You are saying it exists. Great. Show us the evidence. If the best you have is "you'll see when you die," that ain't evidence, just like it's not evidence that the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists is demonstrated if I say "you'll find out when you die."

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#126416 Apr 5, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
How is it that the oldest bat fossil looks exactly - that's right, I said EXACTLY - like a modern bat?
One thousand fossil bats found, "dated" from 52 MYA (from just one museum alone in Germany).
All fossilized bats discovered to date are fully developed and capable of flying.
It is not right to blame the lack of bat ancestors on the processes of fossilization since millions of other fossils, even soft bodied fossils, from the time period and prior have been fossilized and collected by museums.
Again, ALL fossil bats discovered - thousands of them - are of fully formed bats that look exactly like modern bats and none of them - zero - are of predicted evolutionary ancestors.
The bat is just one example of this. There are hundreds of similar examples like this, and no examples of the predicted evolutionary ancestors for any creature. Nothing! Invertebrates, fish, bats, sea lions, reptiles, dinosaurs, whales, birds, plants; nothing!
How does a rational person keep his/her faith in macroevolution in the face of these facts?
Why are you asking for transitional Bat fossils rather than transitional bird fossils? Oh yes I remember, we have transitional bird fossils.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_birds
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126417 Apr 5, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
There is an afterlife and I had a vision of it 30 years ago (a waking dream) It was just like near death experience, the entrance to heaven is a whirlwind and to hell is a whirlpool. The righteous go to heaven and have hope in their death.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#126418 Apr 5, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no reliable evidence of an afterlife. The afterlife is a nice dream, of course ask any adolescent boy and you will hear all kinds of nice dreams that will never come true.

I cannot state authoritatively whether an after life exists or does not exist. I can state what the null hypothesis would say about the existence of an after life. If there is no evidence of an event the logical thing to do is to treat that event as if it never happened.

In other words, without evidence there is no valid reason to believe in an afterlife.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126419 Apr 5, 2013
If there is no heaven then there is no God. The bible acknowledges heaven but if you're a Christian you can doubt. How do you explain near death experience and if there is no heaven, then Jesus is dead and there is no God. How can you believe in the bible and not believe in heaven and hell?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#126420 Apr 5, 2013
susanblange wrote:
If there is no heaven then there is no God. The bible acknowledges heaven but if you're a Christian you can doubt. How do you explain near death experience and if there is no heaven, then Jesus is dead and there is no God. How can you believe in the bible and not believe in heaven and hell?
What makes you think anyone has to believe any of that trollup?
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126421 Apr 5, 2013
I speak the word of the living God as recorded in the Hebrew bible, I'm not trying to shove anything down your throat the way Christians and Muslims do. The first wise man was friendly, the second logical and the third totally silent. And those are the three stages of wisdom. First you're friendly, then you reason and if that doesn't work you shut up. The Lord will plead with all flesh all the way til the end.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#126422 Apr 5, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
http://epiphenom.fieldofscienc e.com/2010/08/why-psychotic-pa tients-with-religious.html
Why psychotic patients with religious delusions are harder to cure.
when I was a kid there was this woman who lived in our town who cut her baby's head off and mounted it on the tip a shower curtain rod in her front yard for everybody to see. When the cops asked her why she did it she said, "Satan told me to do it!" I hope she's never allowed to be alone with little kids ever again.

Personally, I doubt that any kind of mental disease is curable, just treatable, manageable.

Location hidden

#126423 Apr 5, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Unlike other people on this forum, I am not making any claims. My thoughts and beliefs are engraved in stone like the 10 commandments and will never change, I never doubt and neither does my Jewish psychiatrist of 36 years, we are a team. He knows me better than I know myself and he was the first convert. "Zion shall be redeemed with judgment and her converts with righteousness" Is. 1:27 "Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed" Is. 6:10. The first day of the Lord, VWD Day should come by the end of 2014. It's been 30 years.
Oh looky, a chimney Poe. What a waste of time. WTF, life is short chimney, quit wasting it on parody.

Location hidden

#126424 Apr 5, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>How so?
Why are you asking that bytch? Her opinion of you means less than nothing.

Location hidden

#126425 Apr 5, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You ranted about my citing nano no mates illnesses yet you happily provide links and comment on someone else’s illness
So now you're insulting me behind my back on other threads. That's not much of a surprise considering what a stupid, cowardly, fkg liar you are.

Location hidden

#126426 Apr 5, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>I was not attempting to use the illness as an insult. The person claimed to see and talk to god for a certain period of time so I posted a link to an alternative (temporary) illness as that proposed by the other commenter. I also posted a link describing how those whose psychosis is grounded in religion are harder to cure than those whose are not. No attempt at insult just sharing information.
Unlike Christine's blatant hostility.

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#126427 Apr 5, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Because macroevolution never happened? And "Cro Magnon" is just a distant relative of mine?
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/...

Bats (Chiroptera) represent one of the largest and most diverse radiations of mammals, accounting for one-fifth of extant species1. Although recent studies unambiguously support bat monophyly2, 3, 4 and consensus is rapidly emerging about evolutionary relationships among extant lineages5, 6, 7, 8, the fossil record of bats extends over 50 million years, and early evolution of the group remains poorly understood.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v451/n71...

Poorly understood does not mean evolution did not happen.
In fact in light of what is known , clearly the species is far older than the samples we know of.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#126428 Apr 5, 2013
susanblange wrote:
You actually believe that stuff??
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#126429 Apr 5, 2013
Invertebrate fossils found are in the hundreds of millions and some 500,000 fish fossils have been found; however, no transitional forms - not even one example - has ever been found between vertebrates and invertebrates. So how could vertebrate evolution be any mystery? Isn't this evidence clear enough? What if 10 years from now we find another 100,000 fish fossils and another million invertebrate fossils, and there still is no transitional forms between the two groups? Would this be enough to change anyone's mind?

Fish are proposed to have evolved from invertebrates; however, we have millions of elasmobranchs, actinistains, holocephalians, dipnoans, heterostracans, thelodontids, climatiformes, acanthodiformes, rhenanids, pyyctodontids, arthrodires, antiarchs, paleonisciformes, porolepiformes, anapsids, osteostracans, and osteolepiformes; and yet, not a single solitary common ancestor fish of any of them has ever been found. Hundreds of millions to none!

Are the ancestors of each fish group really missing? Every major group of fish that we know anything about appears fully formed without any trace of ancestor for any of them. Without prejudice, and speaking as objectively as possible, doesn't this suggest that the fossil evidence says macroevolution never happened?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 13 min Kenedy njoroge 151,379
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 46 min ChromiuMan 199,553
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr DanFromSmithville 35,576
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr ChristineM 15,025
Complex Systems May Evolve More Slowly - Calcul... 16 hr Creationtruth 3
Evolution is merely a subroutine 16 hr Creationtruth 1
My Story Part 1 18 hr Regolith Based Li... 3
More from around the web