Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 174,453

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#126250 Apr 2, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Dogen, does it make you feel smart to post such worthless, meaningless posts?
Do you actually expect anyone to take your opinion seriously, when all you offer is the same recycled atheist BS?

HTS, does it make you feel smart to post such worthless, meaningless posts?
Do you actually expect anyone to take your opinion seriously, when all you offer is the same recycled atheist BS?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#126251 Apr 2, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, let's look at cytochrome C. You said that there are 10^93 different "recipes"...those would be stereoisomers... not functional iterations of cytochrome C.
If you think that a huge number of iterations would be functional... how big of a number are you imagining?
If you think that one trillion trillion different variations of cytochrome C are functional, you've increased your probability from 10^-93 to 10^-69... still an impossible number. No matter how many functional variations you imagine to exist, there is an infinitely greater number of dysfunctional variations.

Refutation which you won't read:
http://ncse.com/book/export/html/1490

Why don't you learn science instead of just making it up?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#126252 Apr 2, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
What ?

I know. Just batshit crazy!
HTS

Williston, ND

#126253 Apr 2, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Refutation which you won't read:
http://ncse.com/book/export/html/1490
Why don't you learn science instead of just making it up?
Predictably, Dogen, you didn't post anything relevant due to your lack of understanding of scientific logic.
I'm well aware of molecular homology, and of the fairytales that have been fabricated to propp up evolution.
Molecular homology is entirely consistent with ID.
You and Chimney have failed to explain how cytochrome C could have evolved in the first place,
Chimney suggested that many contingencies were possible...fair enough. But infinite possibilities are not.
HTS

Williston, ND

#126254 Apr 2, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
What a story teller you are.
Without qualifiers and a noun in place "complexity" = "simplicity".
Is a rock complex?
Which is more complex an igneous or sedimentary rock?
Which is more simple, a male brain or a female brain?
Meaningless.
As usual, Dogen,... You vainly attempt to muddy the water with meaningless distractions. Is it possible for you to at least once think on your own rather than blindly regurgitate the recycled BS from talkorigins?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#126255 Apr 2, 2013
susanblange wrote:
How can anybody not believe in intelligent design? The complexity of animal life cries out that there's a creator. I could understand evolution itself if there was only plant life but how do you explain the development of complex organs like eyesight, hearing, and especially the brain? God said the atheist is a fool and they are very ignorant there is a God and if you don't believe it, that's the belief that will get you sent to hell.
For your thesis to be accepted uniformly, you will first have to prove there is a being capable of being this "Designer". If all you got is 2000 yo goat herder assertions, you've basically got nothing and it must be assumed all this came to be via natural processes. So far, no "magic" has been discovered in nature.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#126256 Apr 2, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
As usual, Dogen,... You vainly attempt to muddy the water with meaningless distractions. Is it possible for you to at least once think on your own rather than blindly regurgitate the recycled BS from talkorigins?
No, as usual he is correct. You might as well claim that life is to froompy to have evolved.

Can you deny that life is froompy or not?
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#126257 Apr 2, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No, as usual he is correct. You might as well claim that life is to froompy to have evolved.
Oh, I don't know. Life OFTEN seems way to froompy to me. Not sure why I go on living. I guess if I believed in Cheeses, I could manage all this froompiness.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126258 Apr 2, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
For your thesis to be accepted uniformly, you will first have to prove there is a being capable of being this "Designer". If all you got is 2000 yo goat herder assertions, you've basically got nothing and it must be assumed all this came to be via natural processes. So far, no "magic" has been discovered in nature.
Magic is from the dark side of the force, the occult. The sorcerers in Egypt could duplicate almost everything Moses and God did, except when it came to life and death, that belongs solely to God. There is no "magic" in what God did, it was miraculous.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#126259 Apr 2, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text> Magic is from the dark side of the force, the occult. The sorcerers in Egypt could duplicate almost everything Moses and God did, except when it came to life and death, that belongs solely to God. There is no "magic" in what God did, it was miraculous.
If I recall my Sunday School lessons correctly, didn't the Egyptian sorcerer conjure a LIVE snake out of a staff?

Level 5

#126260 Apr 2, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text> Magic is from the dark side of the force, the occult. The sorcerers in Egypt could duplicate almost everything Moses and God did, except when it came to life and death, that belongs solely to God. There is no "magic" in what God did, it was miraculous.
Religibable ... you can't prove your God, Moses, sorcerers or magic ever existed. All there is ... can be found in and explained by Nature.

Level 5

#126261 Apr 2, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Life is not "froompy". It is "firpy". I said so, that makes it true, so there!

Hey! If this logic works for the fundies .. why not?
Elohim

Branford, CT

#126262 Apr 2, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
As usual, HTS,... You vainly attempt to muddy the water with meaningless distractions. Is it possible for you to at least once think on your own rather than blindly regurgitate the recycled BS from creationism.com ?
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126263 Apr 2, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
If I recall my Sunday School lessons correctly, didn't the Egyptian sorcerer conjure a LIVE snake out of a staff?
Yes, but Moses serpent ate it.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#126264 Apr 2, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Religibable ... you can't prove your God, Moses, sorcerers or magic ever existed. All there is ... can be found in and explained by Nature.
Is it natural for a body that's been dead for 3 or 4 days to suddenly get up and walk? If so. why do we embalm people after they've been dead for a matter of hours and then cremate and/or bury them?

Orlando

#126265 Apr 2, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, but Moses serpent ate it.
But you said:
susanblange wrote:
....so apparently Egyptian sorcerers COULD duplicate life.

Level 5

#126266 Apr 2, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text> Is it natural for a body that's been dead for 3 or 4 days to suddenly get up and walk? If so. why do we embalm people after they've been dead for a matter of hours and then cremate and/or bury them?
No, but it IS very natural for people to tell tall tales and pass them off as fact. This is known as "Folklore" and you believe a 2000 yo version first dreamed up by goat herders.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#126267 Apr 2, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
You probably also KNOW there is a magical leprechaun with a live dacshund stuck in his nose. That doesn't make it true and it makes no difference to anyone anywhere anytime.
My country and your's were founded on Christianity and not leprechauns with live dacshunds up their noses

Orlando

#126268 Apr 2, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but it IS very natural for people to tell tall tales and pass them off as fact. This is known as "Folklore" and you believe a 2000 yo version first dreamed up by goat herders.
How about *THIS* for an alternate ending to the new testiment:

<<begin cut/paste>>

Tomb of Jesus Christ (in Japan)

Shing&#333; village (Japan) is the location of what is purported to be the last resting place of Jesus, located in the "Tomb of Jesus" (Kirisuto no haka), and the residence of Jesus' last descendants, the family of Sajiro Sawaguchi.[1] According to the Sawaguchi family's claims, Jesus Christ did not die on the cross at Golgotha. Instead his brother, Isukiri,[2] took his place on the cross, while Jesus fled across Siberia to Mutsu Province, in northern Japan. Once in Japan, he became a rice farmer, married, and raised a family with three daughters near what is now Shing&#333;. While in Japan, it is asserted that he traveled, learned, and eventually died at the age of 106. His body was exposed on a hilltop for four years. According to the customs of the time, Jesus' bones were collected, bundled, and buried in the mound purported to be the grave of Jesus Christ.[3][4]

Another mound near the alleged grave of Jesus is said to contain an ear of the brother of Jesus and a lock of hair from Mary, the mother of Jesus, the only relics of his family Jesus could carry when he fled Judaea.[5] The claims started in 1933 after the discovery of supposed "ancient Hebrew documents detailing Jesus' life and death in Japan" [6] that was supposedly the testament of Jesus. These documents were allegedly seized by the Japanese authorities and taken to Tokyo shortly before World War II and have not been seen since.[7]

The English text on the sign explaining the legend of the Tomb of Christ reads <<picture shown>>:

"When Jesus Christ was 21 years old, he came to Japan and pursued knowledge of divinity for 12 years. He went back to Judea at age 33 and engaged in his mission. However, at that time, people in Judea would not accept Christ's preaching. Instead, they arrested him and tried to crucify him on a cross. His younger brother, Isukiri casually took Christ's place and ended his life on the cross. Christ, who escaped the crucifixion, went through the ups and downs of travel, and again came to Japan. He settled right here in what is now called Herai Village, and died at the age of 106. On this holy ground, there is dedicated a burial mound on the right to deify Christ, and a grave on the left to deify Isukiri."

<<end cut/paste>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shing%C5%8D,_Aom...
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#126269 Apr 2, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
You are SO unscientific and this just canine religion you are worshiping
Leprechaun are small
Dachshunds are big
So how could a dachshund get up a leprechauns nose?
About as relevant as a creationist argument :-)
You're doing well Mugwump....you're doing well

Now all you have to do is leave Pudsey....I don't like the sound of that place....

Become a creationist Christian....

And all will be well with you....FINALLY

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Darwin on the rocks 4 min replaytime 144
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 13 min Dogen 117,357
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr DanFromSmithville 137,375
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 2 hr DanFromSmithville 656
Why are there no dinosaur pen is fossil? Sep 27 David M 2
New Fossil Reveals Multicellular Life Evolved 6... Sep 26 TedHOhio 8
Birds Evolved From Dinosaurs Slowly—Then Took Off Sep 26 TedHOhio 2

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE