Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 20 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#125385 Mar 26, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not suggesting that anyone who calls himself a Christian is by definition a moral person.
I'm saying that you cannot claim any absolute standards of morality to you embrace reductionism. According to ToE, all moral choices are ultimately subservient to chemical reactions.
What? No, totally wrong. There are no morals associated with the Theory of Evolution. It is amoral in the purest sense of the word, just as Einstein's theories of gravity are amoral. The theories themselves have nothing to do with right or wrong.

If I drop a ten ton bolder on your pointy little head does that make gravity immoral and evil?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#125386 Mar 26, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You're missing group therapy... Go join Dude.
What is wrong with you? Why can't you answer some honest questions?

I guess we both know the answers to the questions you ducked.

You don't have to be a moron all of your life. It looks like your imbecility is self imposed. That can be corrected by learning.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#125387 Mar 26, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I really don't care if you're convinced.
Mike, you were caught with your pants down.
In your perverted logic, you think atheists have an unfettered desire to do what's right without any thought of reward, while ridiculing Christians for a morality which you believe is ultimately based on selfishness.
You stated that your moral code was the golden rule. Yet your conduct on this forum entirely contradicts that contention. Hence, you are an unabashed hypocrite and liar.
The best thing for you to do right now is to go and hide somewhere so that you can sober up from your daily indulgence of evo-koolaid.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#125388 Mar 26, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference between our moral values is that I believe that absolute standards exist. You don't believe that any absolute morality exists if you think that man is nothing more than molecules.
Then why don't you list those absolute standards?

And can you explain why you don't follow them?
HTS

Englewood, CO

#125389 Mar 26, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
W There are no morals associated with the Theory of Evolution. It is amoral in the purest sense of the word,...
Brilliant, SZ... I couldn't have said it better myself.
The theory of evolution is amoral in the purest sense of the word.
That is why I've been saying all along that you embrace an amoral worldview.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#125390 Mar 26, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference between our moral values is that I believe that absolute standards exist.
Ah, once again your off into deepest, darkest liar land. Please quote where I said absolute standards don't exist. I doubt I've ever made any such comment.
HTS wrote:
You don't believe that any absolute morality exists if you think that man is nothing more than molecules.
Interesting. Now you're telling me what I believe and what I think. Maybe you should start your own thread where you can talk to yourself without interruption.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#125391 Mar 26, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike, you were caught with your pants down.
Sorry. I don't swing that way.
HTS wrote:
In your perverted logic, you think atheists have an unfettered desire to do what's right without any thought of reward, while ridiculing Christians for a morality which you believe is ultimately based on selfishness.
You just love to make shit up don't you?
HTS wrote:
You stated that your moral code was the golden rule.
It is a goal. You find that disturbing?
HTS wrote:
Yet your conduct on this forum entirely contradicts that contention. Hence, you are an unabashed hypocrite and liar.
I'll grant you that I don't always live up to the ideal. But when faced with so many lying assholes, it is difficult to keep my eye on the ball.

Having said that, I'd be willing to bet I do more for my fellow man in a week than you do in a year. Maybe more.
HTS wrote:
The best thing for you to do right now is to go and hide somewhere so that you can sober up from your daily indulgence of evo-koolaid.
Ain't gonna happen, fake doctor.

BTW, speaking of hypocrites and liars, are there mirrors in your place?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#125392 Mar 26, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a friggin loony.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#125393 Mar 26, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, you are using your favorite method of lying.

How many times do you have to be told that you make the Baby Jebus cry when you lie.

Rather than lying why didn't you answer my question about gravity.

Does the theory of gravity lead to an amoral world view?

By the way, do you even know the difference between amoral and immoral? Probably not. Oh why do I bother trying to help morons?
HTS

Englewood, CO

#125394 Mar 26, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll grant you that I don't always live up to the ideal. But when faced with so many lying assholes, it is difficult to keep my eye on the ball.
Having said that, I'd be willing to bet I do more for my fellow man in a week than you do in a year. Maybe more.
I'm inspired by your profound humility.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#125395 Mar 26, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, once again your off into deepest, darkest liar land. Please quote where I said absolute standards don't exist. I doubt I've ever made any such comment.
OK, I'll admit I'm wrong if you will plainly acknowledge that absolute standards of morality exist, and if you'll tell me where they come from in your atheist world which is devoid of all absolutes.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#125396 Mar 26, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, I'll admit I'm wrong if you will plainly acknowledge that absolute standards of morality exist...
I'm not sure we can agree on the use of 'absolute' in this context; however, I've already given you what I consider to be as close to absolute morality as possible.

Do you consider the god of the bible, specifically the god of the old testament to be a pillar of absolute morality?
HTS wrote:
...and if you'll tell me where they come from...
Empathy.
HTS wrote:
... in your atheist world which is devoid of all absolutes.
A) I've never stated that I was an atheist - one more thing you've made up - though I will acknowledge being an agnostic.

B) You'll have to take up your atheist world comments with the atheists.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#125397 Mar 26, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm inspired by your profound humility.
Glad to be of service.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

#125398 Mar 26, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad to be of service.
FYI. It wasn't exactly a compliment.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#125399 Mar 26, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI. It wasn't exactly a compliment.
No kidding, Mr Obvious. What would I do without you around to keep me straight?

You might note, as well, that my reply was sarcastic.

“Earth Science”

Level 1

Since: Jan 10

MI

#125400 Mar 26, 2013
Just wondering if anyone here wants to debate evolution, or are all the creationists too scared?
I believe in evolution because there are no dinosaur bones/fossils in mammalian mega-fauna scat. Can you explain this, creationists?
HTS

Williston, ND

#125401 Mar 26, 2013
i hate t rex wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here wants to debate evolution, or are all the creationists too scared?
I believe in evolution because there are no dinosaur bones/fossils in mammalian mega-fauna scat. Can you explain this, creationists?
For starters, the dating of the strata of the earth is not founded on valid science, but of selective filtering of data. You have no proof whatsoever that any dinosaurs pre-dated mammals. This forum is supposed to be confined to science. However, we do have a problem in that most of the atheists on this forum cannot resist interjecting religion at every available opportunity.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#125402 Mar 26, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
For starters, the dating of the strata of the earth is not founded on valid science, but of selective filtering of data. You have no proof whatsoever that any dinosaurs pre-dated mammals. This forum is supposed to be confined to science. However, we do have a problem in that most of the atheists on this forum cannot resist interjecting religion at every available opportunity.
I hate t-rex. Don't mind HST, his brain was traded with that of an Orangutan in a lab experiment that went horribly wrong.

“Earth Science”

Level 1

Since: Jan 10

MI

#125403 Mar 26, 2013
So you believe scientists don't report large carnivora scat with dino in it because they have a loyalty to their lack of religion? I don't believe most scientists are atheist, I believe they are agnostic, because the scientific method requires them to be objective. If I am to believe you, the Smithsonian, National Geographic, Harvard, and just about every scientific institution in the last 60 years has been telling us lies, again, in the name of their lack of religion.
That was a decent avoidance tactic, I want an example of ANY mammal over 200 lb with dinosaur's in its dodo. I'm not asking for any carbon dating, no fossil layers. It's a very simple question really, but you provide a conspiracy theory instead of an actual answer, disappointing as usual.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#125404 Mar 26, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
None of your proposed processes represent a mechanism to increase genetic information over time.
Statements like "genetic mutations in individuals that impart any survival/reproduction advantage will tend to spread through the population" are bedtime stories.
So, we didn't observe, in real time, the spread of small tusk genes within elephant populations because that imparted a greater survival advantage than large tusks? Weird. I could swear that really happened. Oh, wait...it did happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Darwin on the rocks (Sep '14) 33 min Dogen 1,662
No Place For ID? 38 min Denisova 71
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 50 min dirtclod 18,846
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 59 min ACTUALLY 161,736
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 9 hr Paul Porter1 13,692
The Definition of a Creationist Scientist 11 hr Zog Has-fallen 3
proof of gods existence .....or lack there of Sat Chimney1 14
More from around the web