Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,162

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story
defender

United States

#124886 Mar 24, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>No, you didn't. On the internet giving someone a reference is giving someone a link that has the original quote in it.

I Google searched your quote and your supposed source and came up with nothing. All that kept on happening was examples of it being quoted by creatard after creatard and no one linking to the original source.

Plus he was putting down Haeckel, not evolution. You need to learn the difference. Haeckel had his own ideas of how evolution worked and they seemed to be closer to LaMarck rather than Darwin.

So now you have lied about what your own quote said, and very probably lied with the quote itself.

As I have told you many times over without evidence you lose.
And yet you openly defend Haeckel ...
HTS

Williston, ND

#124887 Mar 24, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution IS science.
Evolutionary medicine saves lives.
Please tell me how "evolutionary medicine saves lives."

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#124888 Mar 24, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is the reference...
(Gould, Stephen J.[Professor of Zoology and Geology, Harvard University], "Ontogeny and Phylogeny," Belknap Press: Cambridge MA, 1977, pp.77-78).
Yes, the links you checked gave the same reference. What were you expecting?
That is not a proper reference. If you want to quote something you have to make the original available.

Why do all of those quotes commit the same sin as you did?

None of them link to what is supposedly the origin of this quote.

At any rate this is quote does not give you anything. Gould, if the quote was real, was not putting down evolution he was putting down Haeckel's beliefs which are not evolution.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#124889 Mar 24, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, because he was correct in some of his claims.

I am not an all or nothing idiot like creatards are. A person can be correct in some views and wrong in others.

For example Newton was very correct on his physics, for which he is rightfully famous. He was not correct in his beliefs on alchemy, for which no one pays any attention.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#124890 Mar 24, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Please tell me how "evolutionary medicine saves lives."
Flu vaccines are a good place to start.
defender

United States

#124891 Mar 24, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Please tell me how "evolutionary medicine saves lives."
The only ones it saves are those who need funding for another year...
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#124892 Mar 24, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Because he wanted it thought it was his idea not Darwin... How can you miss something that simple?
What !!! Hitler tried to claim Chuck's work for himself - what a douch - the more I hear about him the worse he gets.

Alternatively - you are making shit up
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#124893 Mar 24, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Because he wanted it thought it was his idea not Darwin... How can you miss something that simple?
Actually - read the above back to yourself - and realize how stupid you sound

Not sure which is worse in your view

Lying your ass of to attack evolution
Or
Having the mental capacity of a rock

Luckily both are held in high esteem by creationists.
defender

United States

#124894 Mar 24, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, because he was correct in some of his claims.

I am not an all or nothing idiot like creatards are. A person can be correct in some views and wrong in others.

For example Newton was very correct on his physics, for which he is rightfully famous. He was not correct in his beliefs on alchemy, for which no one pays any attention.
Oh kinda like when Kent Hovind ( convict tax cheat ) Wore out every evolutionist they put to debate against him in the late 90s... Even though this man is behind bars doesn't mean he was wrong about his belief???

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#124895 Mar 24, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth...

Amino acids form all the time. They even form in our bodies where there is plenty of oxygen.

You guys are silly.
defender

United States

#124896 Mar 24, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>Actually - read the above back to yourself - and realize how stupid you sound

Not sure which is worse in your view

Lying your ass of to attack evolution
Or
Having the mental capacity of a rock

Luckily both are held in high esteem by creationists.
Lol... A little pissed are we?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#124897 Mar 24, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Stevie Gould, one of your own high priests, is the one who accused Ernie of setting the stage for the Third Reich.

If true, which I doubt as you cannot provide a source, it is still meaningless.

I could equally say that Christianity set the stage for the Third Reich and it would be even more true. Meaningless, but true.
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#124898 Mar 24, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol... A little pissed are we?
No, you said that Hitler destroyed copies of origins to claim the idea as his own.

Not pissed (presume you mean annoyed - has different meaning in UK)- just amazed you can say something so innane - even Jimbo would say 'hang on a mo - that is a bit silly'

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#124899 Mar 24, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
I gave you the reference.
If you claim to be a fan or "peer-reviewed" literature, you will know that Internet links are unscholarly.
Face it, SZ, you are defenseless. One of your own atheist stooges agreed that evolution leads to Totalitarianism.

???? This would be a S.S. fallacy (ironically).

And it isn't what he said, even in your own quote.

You can't keep up intellectually so you try to make up ground by lying. Sorry, but lying is not how to do well in an argument.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#124900 Mar 24, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
If you propose a theory and claim that it is scientific, it is up to you to defend every link in the chain...
However, I will demonstrate that the weaponry of the mantis shrimp is irreducible complex...
Essential integrated parts.
1.Com plex micro helical Ultra structural architecture of club shaped appendages formed of stacked parallel hydroxyapatite crystals.
2. Biological spring mechanism in clubs, including multi-faceted system of integrated latches, linkages and lever arms.
3. Multiple sites of energy storage to effectuate spring mechanism.
4. Complex instinctive behavioral changes required to utilize acquired weaponry.
5. Restructuring of joint anatomy to withstand repeated blows of the appendages.
The system would or function if any of these elements failed to evolve. Early incompletely developed iterations would be nonfunctional. Hence, it is irreducible complex.

LOL All evolved.

Do you know that your cockamamie notions make you look like a completely uneducated bumpkin? Oh, that's right, you ARE a completely uneducated bumpkin!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#124901 Mar 24, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Both Nazi and Soviet states were very much inspired by Darwinism...(shh this fact makes our evolutionist friends really mad)...

This is a known lie. Come up with something that we have not already debunked. I am bored.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#124902 Mar 24, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't copy and paste his.
This is common sense... Anyone who looks at the anatomy can see it.
I am saying that gradualism is impossible in the creation of such a complexity. That is self evident.

In your mind, maybe. But it is evident in the fossil and genomic records.

Sorry,
facts 10^9999,
HTS, still zero.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#124903 Mar 24, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is the reference...
(Gould, Stephen J.[Professor of Zoology and Geology, Harvard University], "Ontogeny and Phylogeny," Belknap Press: Cambridge MA, 1977, pp.77-78).
Yes, the links you checked gave the same reference. What were you expecting?

Bored.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#124904 Mar 24, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>

The why did he promote Mendel's genetics?

What you have missed is that you don't know what you are talking about and we do.

Next.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#124905 Mar 24, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>

Against false charges, sure.

Against valid ones, no.

BORED.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 58 min Chimney1 132,959
How would creationists explain... 2 hr Chimney1 350
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 9 hr Ooogah Boogah 13,623
Science News (Sep '13) 10 hr Hatti_Hollerand 2,937
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 17 hr MikeF 546
Creationism coming to Ohio classrooms? Not with... Sat nobody 7
24 hour dental emergency (Nov '13) Dec 19 Zach 4
More from around the web