Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 174,565

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#124561 Mar 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying things do change, but there's a magical, unseen barrier that stops those changes after a certain point. That's insane.
The universe runs on magic, don't cha know!?! All this natural law stuff is just something some egg head thunk up! <sarc!>
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#124562 Mar 22, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me guess...
You will thank me for the free plug (don't get count it as positive advertising)
You will say Creation.com is reputable , even though it dismisses all evidence that is contrary to its 'SCIENCE RACIST BIGOTRY' as the bible has never been proved wrong.
Descend into puerile hand-waving
CREATION RACIST BIGOTRY (c)
And you share in this Mugwump

Russell and Mugwump

...But you'll have to change to another name...beacuse Mugwump is too close to Mugface....or Mugwimp...for my liking

Then you become a creationist Christian ....its the fastest way to get chest hairs...Mugwump...

Don't worry...

You'll be great

We'll make a man out of you yet
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#124563 Mar 22, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
And Rusty, no one has claimed that creatard scientists cannot do science. Some of them can. Some of them have multiple published articles in professional journals. What they cannot do, or rather will not do, is to publish their creationist works in peer reviewed professional journals. Why? Because they know that they are full of shit.
That has got to be the dumbest thing I have heard so far....

They would love to publish their creationist work

They mostly cant

Due to intense prejudice and discrimination against them

This is a universal issue

Even Jonathan Marks acknowledges this

Why is this such a revelation to you?

EVERYONE KNOWS ABOUT IT?

Mark Armitage, Triceratops guy, has been subjected to intense discrimination

Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#124564 Mar 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You have not presented any evidence supporting your creation myth.
Just do a little reading....

Try this amazing site....

Creation.com

http://creation.com/attacks-accusations
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#124565 Mar 22, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
The universe runs on magic, don't cha know!?! All this natural law stuff is just something some egg head thunk up! <sarc!>
So
Mate
You've seen dead things waiting to be fossilized on the sea floor?

And hundreds of years of animal breeding will clearly demonstrate HTS's point

There is a genetic limit.....constraint...irrever sibility....a down-hilled-ness...
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#124566 Mar 22, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
CREATION RACIST BIGOTRY (c)
And you share in this Mugwump
Russell and Mugwump
...But you'll have to change to another name...beacuse Mugwump is too close to Mugface....or Mugwimp...for my liking
Then you become a creationist Christian ....its the fastest way to get chest hairs...Mugwump...
Don't worry...
You'll be great
We'll make a man out of you yet
Not entirely sure why you are willing to share the copyright with me but as an aside ... You do realise that every time you use the phrase

CREATION RACIST BIGOTRY

it makes you sound about 12

I mean if you don't understand the term 'racist' why should we believe you understand evolution?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#124567 Mar 22, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Just do a little reading....
Try this amazing site....
Creation.com
http://creation.com/attacks-accusations
No evidence on that site either, zero. Where is your evidence?
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#124568 Mar 22, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
And by putting too much information but no link Rusty is shown to be lying again. Here is a link to the article:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23414624
As you can see, no osteocytes were found, structure resembling osteocytes were preserved.
"Abstract
Soft fibrillar bone tissues were obtained from a supraorbital horn of Triceratops horridus collected at the Hell Creek Formation in Montana, USA. Soft material was present in pre and post-decalcified bone. Horn material yielded numerous small sheets of lamellar bone matrix. This matrix possessed visible microstructures consistent with lamellar bone osteocytes. Some sheets of soft tissue had multiple layers of intact tissues with osteocyte-like structures featuring filipodial-like interconnections and secondary branching. Both oblate and stellate types of osteocyte-like cells were present in sheets of soft tissues and exhibited organelle-like microstructures. SEM analysis yielded osteocyte-like cells featuring filipodial extensions of 18-20&#956;m in length. Filipodial extensions were delicate and showed no evidence of any permineralization or crystallization artifact and therefore were interpreted to be soft. This is the first report of sheets of soft tissues from Triceratops horn bearing layers of osteocytes, and extends the range and type of dinosaur specimens known to contain non-fossilized material in bone matrix."
The difference between the two is beyond poor Rusty's ability to understand.
And the creatard who did not want to publish his work in noncreatard journals was obviously lying. No one has been able to demonstrate any prejudice by professional journals to date. And as I have said before it would be not that hard to show.
Apocrine glands going like mad, eh?

"This matrix possessed visible microstructures consistent with lamellar bone osteocytes"

What is it that you propose I don't understand?

I can read plain English just like the next dullard

Difference being I understand what's written and don't make a jack-ass of myself like you
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#124569 Mar 22, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Experts can easily tell the difference. There are times that Wiki is useful, there are times that is not. I did not even bother to check Wiki. Here is an book excerpt that may help explain, seriously I don't think it will since it is merely talking about the many different Coelacanths that exist and have existed.
http://books.google.com/books...
We don't need to answer all of your idiot questions to prove that you are an idiot. We have already done so.
When you want to ask some serious questions get back to us.
So whats the difference between Latimeria chalumnae and Coelacanthus pencillatus?

And it would be so sweet if you could correctly and unequivocally answer any question regarding the hype and tripe that is evolution

Level 5

#124570 Mar 22, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
So
Mate
You've seen dead things waiting to be fossilized on the sea floor?
And hundreds of years of animal breeding will clearly demonstrate HTS's point
There is a genetic limit.....constraint...irrever sibility....a down-hilled-ness...
Millions of years of animal breeding will clearly negate his point.
And yes I have seen dead things on the sea floor too far down for large scavengers to disturb. And so .... what???
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#124571 Mar 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No evidence on that site either, zero. Where is your evidence?
Now now

Your CREATION RACIST BIGOTRY IS SHOWING

Tell you what

You provide me with any evidence for evolution...

Let's start with what you perceive to be airtight science that is unequivocal , unchallengable, and undeniable

Level 5

#124572 Mar 22, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Now now
Tell you what
Let's start with what you perceive to be airtight science that is unequivocal , unchallengable, and undeniable
How about this one for starters; YOU desperately WANT there to be a designer capable of designing all life on Earth. Yet despite this desperate desire, you can not produce one single scrap of verifiable evidence that will pass a non-advocate review, that such a being exists.

That is a fact, it is unequivocal, unchallengeable and undeniable. I know this is true because YOU have not been able to do so.

Go ahead, prove this fact wrong..... I'll wait.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#124573 Mar 22, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Now now
Tell you what
Okay, so now you're saying that belief defines race. That makes you racist not me.

You have been presented the evidence, you discarded it because it didn't fit your presumptions. We're still waiting for any evidence that supports your creation myth.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#124574 Mar 22, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
How about this one for starters; YOU desperately WANT there to be a designer capable of designing all life on Earth. Yet despite this desperate desire, you can not produce one single scrap of verifiable evidence that will pass a non-advocate review, that such a being exists.
That is a fact, it is unequivocal, unchallengeable and undeniable. I know this is true because YOU have not been able to do so.
Go ahead, prove this fact wrong..... I'll wait.
Don't let your believe in God be stymied by my failures

How would you prove to me that oxygen existed?

You'd need a lab

God is not necessarily proven in a lab

Evidence for His existence is undeniable from His creation

You are without excuse
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#124575 Mar 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, so now you're saying that belief defines race. That makes you racist not me.
You have been presented the evidence, you discarded it because it didn't fit your presumptions. We're still waiting for any evidence that supports your creation myth.
I have yet to be provided with ANY evidence of single celled organisms becoming multicellular, thence proceeding from invertebrates to vertebrates and WESTWARD HO! to mammals including man

If such evidence exists, would you kindly make it available to me forthwith?

No delays...

Forthwith!

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#124576 Mar 22, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't let your believe in God be stymied by my failures
How would you prove to me that oxygen existed?
You'd need a lab
God is not necessarily proven in a lab
Evidence for His existence is undeniable from His creation
You are without excuse
"How would you prove to me that oxygen existed?"

Nope, just a balloon.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#124577 Mar 22, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
I have yet to be provided with ANY evidence of single celled organisms becoming multicellular, thence proceeding from invertebrates to vertebrates and WESTWARD HO! to mammals including man
If such evidence exists, would you kindly make it available to me forthwith?
No delays...
Forthwith!
So ... you expect science to result in every single detail, every tiny bit of evidence, yet you present a non-answer that has no evidence, no details, no explanations in place of it.

There's a word for that ... it escapes me at this moment ....
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#124578 Mar 22, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Not entirely sure why you are willing to share the copyright with me but as an aside ... You do realise that every time you use the phrase
CREATION RACIST BIGOTRY
it makes you sound about 12
I mean if you don't understand the term 'racist' why should we believe you understand evolution?
I recently saw Lincoln
That was a great movie I thought

There were many places in the film when I thought...

...CREATION RACIST BIGOTRY...

would be quite appropriate to call out...

But naturally without the ...CREATION..bit

I'm not THAT stupid
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#124579 Mar 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
"How would you prove to me that oxygen existed?"
Nope, just a balloon.
Ah

But I said oxygen

Not air

Altho'...
May be evo-hot air may do just fine...

There's so much of it....sigh
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#124580 Mar 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So ... you expect science to result in every single detail, every tiny bit of evidence, yet you present a non-answer that has no evidence, no details, no explanations in place of it.
There's a word for that ... it escapes me at this moment ....
Evolutionism?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 6 min Charles Idemi 122,205
Darwin on the rocks 35 min Liam R 479
How Life's Code Emerged From Primordial Soup (Sep '09) 2 hr The Dude 65
Science News (Sep '13) 8 hr Ricky F 2,894
Evidence for God. (Aug '13) 19 hr Bluenose 341
The Racist Theory of Evolution. (Jun '06) Thu gdjeirokrjdhk 1,306
Elon Musk: artificial intelligence is our bigge... Wed Ooogah Boogah 6

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE