Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180392 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#123940 Mar 18, 2013
One way or another wrote:
You morons have all BS. It's all speculation. Lol

And over 100,000 peer review journal articles.

and Multiple lines of independent evidence from multiple fields of science.

and 150 years of attempted but failed falsification efforts.

And....
One way or another

United States

#123941 Mar 18, 2013
The Evo morons don't know that electrons have been captured and filmed and when they are told, they claim this was done 50 years ago.

Lmao you frukin idiots.

Electron filmed for first time ever
phys.org/news122897584.htmlFeb 22, 2008 – This is the first time an electron has ever been filmed, and the results are presented in ... Previously it has been impossible to photograph electrons since their extremely ...

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#123942 Mar 18, 2013
Funny, scientists cannot be questioned about anything in evolution by the general public, because they have nothing. Morons

Funny, carpet layers cannot be questioned about anything in carpet laying by the general public, because they have nothing. Morons

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#123943 Mar 18, 2013
The Evo morons don't know that electrons have been captured and filmed and when they are told, they claim this was done 50 years ago.
Lmao you frukin idiots.
phys.org/news122897584.htmlFeb 22, 2008 – This is the first time an electron has ever been filmed, and the results are presented in ... Previously it has been impossible to photograph electrons since their extremely ...

Nice link. That is pretty cool.

I did not know that fundy, creotards were interested in real science.
defender

Tucker, GA

#123944 Mar 18, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>Logically speaking yes. There was not one known "condition" over the entire earth the prevailed at any one point in time. The earth has always had diverse environments (except for the very earliest earth conditions which seem fairly uniform). Oxidation is not a problem in the trace amounts that have been found in early rocks. Some (small amount) oxidation is necessary for producing some of the organic molecules that would be needed for life. Oxygen on early earth seems to have been produced from volcanoes.
You and suckit zone seem to disagree on this subject ... And yet both of you are wrong...
defender

Tucker, GA

#123945 Mar 18, 2013
Dogen is an escapee from a mental institution.
He's smear crap on the wall crazy...
No wonder they wanta ban guns...
defender

Tucker, GA

#123946 Mar 18, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>A genetic code cannot self organize.
Posting a link to a google search is meaningless.
You haven't read anything.
Of course it can't .,. But it matters not to the kool-aid drinking defenders of the cult...
defender

Tucker, GA

#123947 Mar 18, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have secret knowledge that no scientist is allowed to see? No scientist has ever been able to make this grandiose claim of yours.

[QUOTE]
and is exactly why evolutionist refuse to use this process as starting point for ToE
"

No, dummy. Its because ToE comes into play ONLY once a self replicating unit with imperfect heredity already exists. Its whole mechanism works on this basis. The ToE is not affected by HOW that first self replicator comes into existence.

This is exactly why creationists try to bring abiogenesis into arguments about evolution. They know the evidence for evolution is totally overwhelming, so they try to conflate it with our lack of knowledge about abiogenesis. Its the second most stupid creationist argument, right behind "a Flood explains the sequence of the fossil record".
The question dipshit is how does a self replicating cell comes into existence without a design in the first place?...
For what benefit was it for the first organisms to reproduce?... Please one of you grow a pair and answer this... The beginning of life is but one massive problem... How and why it reproduced is another...
HTS

Englewood, CO

#123948 Mar 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems that you are unable to show any genuine documentation (not creation.com fabrication and BS) to show his drawings were produced to convince anyone that early embryos looked virtually identical
You are unable so show any genuine documentation (not creation.com fabrication and BS) that suggest his drawing were the product of fraud
Therefore you are unable to show that you are not a liar…
Wrong my zero tolerance of lies drives my quest for truth. For the most part I believe that most atheists consider lies do be a no, no. Perhaps some are not as opposed to lying as I am but that makes little difference to the fact that having no belief in god means there is much less need to lie. However if you feel comfortable lying then that your own problem and typical of your faith even taking into account that your god specifically condemns lying to the extent that he wrote it in stone.
P.S. Atheism is a religion in the same way that not collecting stamps is a hobby
I will remind you (again because we all know you are so hard of thinking) that I am not atheist. An atheist BELIEVES there is no god (any god). I KNOW there is no god.
Christine...
In virutally all you posts you call someone a "liar".
Then you state "I KNOW there is no god."
Anyone who would make such a statement is a bald faced liar.
You're busted.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#123949 Mar 18, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
This is an assertion.
The google search did make my point quite successfully.
I have read real science, which is more than I can say for you.
BTW, why are you so angry and illogical?
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
you seemed to disagree with that point before.
<quoted text>
What would be the driving mechanism for it doing so? "Chemical evolution" occurs because of natural processes. Just as in your self organizing RNA above.
What is to stop RNA (or a similar precursor molecule) from forming DNA. What mechanism prevents it when RNA is made up of the same bases and atoms? The process of chemical combination is finite and fairly well known.
I'm not "angry".
I'm asking you to back up your baseless statements.
RNA cannot "self-organize".
You post a google search and think you've answered the challange.
If you think that life can self-organize, you need to come up with some proposal as to how DNA can self-organize from random molecules.
All you have done to this point is create distractions.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#123950 Mar 18, 2013
Dogen:
You claim to believe in God.
Why do you go so far out on a limb to imagine how life could self organize without God?
If you believe in God, what is the basis of that belief?

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#123951 Mar 18, 2013
Lmao you frukin idiots.
Moving the goalposts doesn’t get you anywhere

You said and I quote

“Electrons have been caught and photographed”

Now you say

“electrons have been captured and filmed”

Make up you mind, photographed or filmed and stop being so dumb

Cloud chamber images have photographed for a long time.
Elohim

Branford, CT

#123952 Mar 18, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Christine...
You're busted.
That's probably because every one of your postings contains creationist lies and propaganda.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#123953 Mar 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Moving the goalposts doesn’t get you anywhere
You said and I quote
“Electrons have been caught and photographed”
Now you say
“electrons have been captured and filmed”
Make up you mind, photographed or filmed and stop being so dumb
Cloud chamber images have photographed for a long time.
Christine,
Atheism is your religion.
If it wasn't, you wouldn't be on this forum.
You are nothing but a religous zealot hiding behind a facade of pseudoscience.

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#123954 Mar 18, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Christine...
You're busted.
This is because I have no tolerance for lies and I consider religion a lie based on myth.

Not only do I know, I can prove it to my own satisfaction

1/ E=MC^2 proves that no entity as described in Revelation 19:6 (KJV) can exist in this universe

2/ The has been no evidence to suggest there is a god – or any gods, anywhere, ever.

3/ The only references to any god are human from the human imagination. The human imagination is NOT fact, it is imagination.

No lies involved. Those that say there is a god are delusioned, those that say they talk to god are delusional. Either delusion or just plain lying. Without evidence you are sunk.

However, if you can EVER provide any evidence to show there is a god or gods then please do so and I will review that evidence and may even admit I am wrong but until you can show such evidence there is no point in you even arguing.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#123955 Mar 18, 2013
Elohim wrote:
<quoted text>That's probably because every one of your postings contains creationist lies and propaganda.
Do you realize that you've never contributed one iota of science to this forum?
I've heard all of the recycled BS that you atheists parrot.
It's all been debunked over and over again, but you seem to think that every time you post something it's an original thought.
You guys are incapable of nothing but canned retorts that you've copied and pasted off atheist websites.
Urban Cowboy

Arlington, VA

#123956 Mar 18, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's just hilarious.
The order of burial just happens to match the evolutionary predictions.
It does NOT match any conceivable "creationist" criterion such as running speed, natural altitude adaptation, or any other criterion that could fit the record into a fairy tale about escaping rising flood waters.
Why are all flowering plants, which appear only in the final quarter of the post-Cambrian fossil record, faster runners than ferns? Do you think ancient low altitude living Giant Sloths were faster than Velociraptors, because they are found much, much later (higher strata). Or for that matter, how did all the ants in the world manage to avoid the flood waters longer than ALL the ancient giant amphibians? Why is archeopteryx trapped in mid-Jurassic strata if it could fly to higher ground than any kiwi?
Use your brain for five minutes to consider what the fossil record would look like if your creation scenario were actually true. No blanking out please, no glossing over. Think about it for once.
Its hard to decide which of the creationist arguments are the most idiotic, but this one comes close.
OK, using brain. Yes, it sure looks like a catastrophic world-wide flood to me. For example polystrate fossils, bent rock, etc.
Afterall, that's how fossils form, isn't it? You see, you've never been able to demonstrate fossil formation gradually over millions of years.
Every single fossil ever found first appears fully formed and then either became extinct without change or is still with us the same way today.
And your dating method is based on circular logic based on what's required to fit your theory. Find a fossil, date the rock next to it so that the organism fits the theory.
And then there's all the telltail signs of quick moving mud and rapid burial, but you ignore all that. The layers you talk about are meaningless in a traumatic flood scenario aren't they?
Numerous living fossils, Lazarus fossils, fossils frozen still while eating, giving birth, even having stomach contents of "evolutionary" successors.
I wish for once you had some rational explanations for some of that instead of the usual cheap shots and ridicule.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#123957 Mar 18, 2013
You morons have all BS. It's all speculation. Lol
There was a time while studying biology at a university when I actually believed in the evolution model.
One of the things that convinced me of the fallacy of evolution was, frankly, the complete absence of science manifested by those who preach Darwinism.
When I listened to their canned arguments and started processing the utter BS that was being spewed, it was a wake-up call.
The morons on this forum are only solidifying my certainty as to the fallacy of evolution.
They have all been incapable of presenting a single compelling argument.
I'm thoroughly convinced that not a single piece of scientific evidence can be presented to validate the evolutionary hypothesis.
It is all philosophy-based.
Urban Cowboy

Arlington, VA

#123958 Mar 18, 2013
In other words Chimney, are actually asking me to compare the evidence of Creation and the Flood with YOUR theory's evidence, i.e., your definition of the layers, strata, etc? Chimney, that is not going to work on me. It doesn't make any sense.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#123959 Mar 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
This is because I have no tolerance for lies and I consider religion a lie based on myth.
Not only do I know, I can prove it to my own satisfaction
1/ E=MC^2 proves that no entity as described in Revelation 19:6 (KJV) can exist in this universe
2/ The has been no evidence to suggest there is a god – or any gods, anywhere, ever.
3/ The only references to any god are human from the human imagination. The human imagination is NOT fact, it is imagination.
No lies involved. Those that say there is a god are delusioned, those that say they talk to god are delusional. Either delusion or just plain lying. Without evidence you are sunk.
However, if you can EVER provide any evidence to show there is a god or gods then please do so and I will review that evidence and may even admit I am wrong but until you can show such evidence there is no point in you even arguing.
What you've presented is your atheistic religion.
I'm waiting for science to back up your ridiculous claims.
I've given you evidence of God.
You've turned up your nose and rejected it.
Your refusal to evaluate the evidence doesn't erase its existence.

Your contention that E=MC^2 proves the non-existence of God is a self evidence fallacy. You cannot single out a translated scripture in the Bible to prove the non-existence of God. Einstein himself said he believed in God and your pathetic attempts to disprove God with math are laughable.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Curious dilemma about DNA 7 min replaytime 426
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 9 min River Tam 221,282
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr replaytime 67,566
News Defending the Faith: Intelligent design vs. 'Go... 1 hr replaytime 417
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Eagle 12 28,712
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 4 hr Eagle 12 3,559
News Texas' battle over teaching evolution comes dow... 4 hr pshun2404 8
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 5 hr Goof Hunter 160,998
More from around the web