Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
120,701 - 120,720 of 172,153 Comments Last updated 20 min ago
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
Don't be ridiculous.
I don't need to "prove" self evident experimental facts of biochemistry.
Raw materials do to self-organize in RNA.
Prove that a pile of bricks can't self organize into a skyscraper, given millions of years...
defender

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, it does suggest that. Given single cell life and 3.5 billion years a space shuttle was "self organized" by first evolving beings who would want to build one.
Lol !!!! Yeah whatever...
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Omg, everything came from several sources that the Evo fairy proofed into existence. Lmao

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Mugwump

Bradford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for understanding. They don't want to understand, they want to fight. I won't give them the respect of answering them directly, so they say anything to try and make me respond.
At least that's how I see things.
Mugwump hates badly, what he cannot know. Probably the worst hater of science, by what he says and does.
Hey at least you have finally got my gender correct - well done.

The rest of your post was the usual paranoia.

The reason you don't answer posts directly is because you can't defend you nonsense.

And me a 'hater of science'! forgive me if I don't take the views that seriously of someone whom thinks body cells spin to offset the rotation of the earth and hence stop one getting dizzy.

Now you obviously aren't going to address the fact that we don't observe this phenomenon, so let me ask you another question (give it some consideration even though you can't answer)

Are nerves cells and do they spin and how does that work since they are kind of attached
defender

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Not out of nothingness. It has already been shown that there was more than one source for the building blocks of DNA. Those do polymerize all by themselves into RNA under the right conditions. And those conditions existed on early Earth.
Oh so these conditions existed on early earth huh?... But yet in the defense of the Miller experiment your side says there is no way of knowing such conditions?... Soooo which is it?
Oxidation is found in the earliest known rock which would have rendered your reducing atmosphere hypothesis moot and destroyed any early life (shh keep that on the down low) So tell us all about these right conditions of yours and why we haven't been presented with any successful experiments?
After all you said yourself all the conditions and elements are known so what's the problem?.... Perhaps you're just a bag of hot air huh?
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Not out of nothingness. It has already been shown that there was more than one source for the building blocks of DNA. Those do polymerize all by themselves into RNA under the right conditions. And those conditions existed on early Earth.
A genetic code cannot self polymerize. Random nucleotides do not constitutebe genetic information.

A monkey can type random keys...
That doesn't suggest that he can type Shakepeare.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text> A genetic code cannot self polymerize. Random nucleotides do not constitutebe genetic information.
A monkey can type random keys...
That doesn't suggest that he can type Shakepeare.
Actually with natural selection a monkey can type Shakespeare. If you promise to watch it I can link a video for you to watch.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually with natural selection a monkey can type Shakespeare. If you promise to watch it I can link a video for you to watch.
I've already seen that idiotic video that Dick Dawkins produced.
Any "force" that could remove incorrect keystrokes would have to have extensive knowledge of the English language... In other words... Intelligence.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh so these conditions existed on early earth huh?... But yet in the defense of the Miller experiment your side says there is no way of knowing such conditions?... Soooo which is it?
Oxidation is found in the earliest known rock which would have rendered your reducing atmosphere hypothesis moot and destroyed any early life (shh keep that on the down low) So tell us all about these right conditions of yours and why we haven't been presented with any successful experiments?
After all you said yourself all the conditions and elements are known so what's the problem?.... Perhaps you're just a bag of hot air huh?
There are ways of deducing early Earth conditions.

No, oxidation is not known in the earliest of rocks, that is one of the clues we have to the early life atmosphere. We know that oxidation is incomplete from that time period. Oxygen is created by life as a waste product so life would have plenty of time to evolve to withstand the effects of oxygen. A

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Any "force" that could remove incorrect keystrokes would have to have extensive knowledge of the English language... In other words... Intelligence.
That is because your idiot challenge requires intelligence. Life does not require intelligence.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

And that was not the video I was talking about. I was talking about one that would explain abiogenesis to you.
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
And that's why analogies are just that - a way of describing a concept in a simple manner.

With evolution - the selection is simply of the organisms that have more chance of survival - that's it - nothing more - no intelligence required

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

North Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

"Do you fall to your knees, you millions?
Do you sense the Creator, world?
Seek Him above the starry canopy,
beyond the stars he must dwell."

From Beethoven's No. 9 ("Choral"), which sits on the pinnacle of the Mount Everest of Symphonies!

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
"Do you fall to your knees, you millions?
Do you sense the Creator, world?
Seek Him above the starry canopy,
beyond the stars he must dwell."
From Beethoven's No. 9 ("Choral"), which sits on the pinnacle of the Mount Everest of Symphonies!
Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!
Beethoven - How I hate to agree with you YET AGAIN in a single year.

I owe you a pint of Guinness - have a good one.
ARGUING with IDIOTS

Redding, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>And that's why analogies are just that - a way of describing a concept in a simple manner.

With evolution - the selection is simply of the organisms that have more chance of survival - that's it - nothing more - no intelligence required
If this is true, then where does the new information come from?
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
And that's why analogies are just that - a way of describing a concept in a simple manner.
Eolutiondidit is not a scientific explanation.
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

ARGUING with IDIOTS wrote:
<quoted text>
If this is true, then where does the new information come from?
Information is a slightly misleading word - but the answer is the same nonetheless - the information comes from mutations.

And not just point mutations (single base pairs) but insertions , duplications etc followed by other mutations.

These can 'add' to the genome - and in some cases provide 'coding' for new amino acids.

I have 'quoted' the term coding as although the genetic 'code' is a useful analogy - again it is just that - an analogy
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Eolutiondidit is not a scientific explanation.
So presumably gravitydidit isn't either?

Oh, and still waiting for your scientific evidence of your god (you know the stuff you said you had)

And of course backing up any of the crap about HIV/AIDS - but given up on that one to be honest

Now - let me guess which parts of this post you are going to answer and which you are going to ignore?

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

North Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Beethoven - How I hate to agree with you YET AGAIN in a single year.
I owe you a pint of Guinness - have a good one.
I would not only love the pint but love the company. Thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••