Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 6,030)

Showing posts 120,581 - 120,600 of168,470
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Elohim

Branford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Your unbridled arrogance is blinding you.
Your unbridled ignorance is hilarious!
HTS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You have facts bas ackward. I believe in God, but I do not need the fear of god to motivate me to do what is right.
Atheists have better morals than we Christians do because they do what is right without any requirement to do what is right.
Why are there a disproportional number of Christians in prison while atheists are underrepresented vs. their numbers in the general population?
And it is an observable fact that you flub up basic science every opportunity you get. You can't say two words about evolution without throwing in a straw-man.
SZ... You are a spineless atheist wallowing in the putrid stench of uncontrollable arrogance.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>

coelacanth IS a transitional (except for the ones that went extinct without leaving a lineage).
It is not considered to be a MAJOR transitional.
Transitional between what and what?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>SZ... You are a spineless atheist wallowing in the putrid stench of uncontrollable arrogance.
Really?

Why then are you that runs away from arguments all of the time?

I am still waiting for you to learn what evidence is so that I can teach you more about science in general and geology and evolution in particular.

I am really not that arrogant. I only get that way when dealing with lying idiots.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you for real Dude
I would be utterly and devastatingly embarrassed and humiliated if I ever produced a list like the one you have as evidence for human evolution
Good heavens!
We're going from bad to worse
Next I expect some fool will bring up Titaalik
Now I can clearly see the extent of your evo-tardism...
Thus far it was all cloaked in mystery with your oblique references to "Page one" of the sister debate thread
HELP ME LORD!!!
IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS ANY EVIDENCE FOR EVOLUTION?????
I need a debate Lord
Not an encounter with marshmallows and evo-goons
You are at the very edge. The next step is sometimes referred to as "decompenstating".

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you know that every generation of every species is transitional? We've been over this before.
Mugwump

Workington, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

One way or another wrote:
The childish Evo morons bring no proof. They bring deceit.
Still waiting for you to explain how even though your spin hypothesis suggests that cells in the body should rotate to match the rotation of the earth......

That is NOT what we observe.

Until you respond rationally to questions you are worthless as far as a discussion goes.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you know that every generation of every species is transitional? We've been over this before.
Dogmatic statements do not qualify as science.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Your unbridled arrogance is blinding you.

Projection.

You have no counter, I get that.

Now, did you do your homework? Because understanding my posts is predicated on you understanding basic science.

Now, to review, the MODERN species of coelacanth do NOT exist in the fossil record.

The species, genus, families and orders of coelacanths in the fossil record do NOT exist now.

What does that tell you? Oh, never mind that. What would that tell a rational human being?

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You really need to get more educated on this subject before speaking on it. At least rusty does not make as many silly mistakes as this.
coelacanth IS a transitional (except for the ones that went extinct without leaving a lineage).
It is not considered to be a MAJOR transitional.
Also, please learn the following words and their meaning in biology.
Species
Genus
Family
Order
Transitional
Major-Transitional.
Thanks for your support.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Mugwump

Workington, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Talking of dogmatic statements are you willing to present any support for some of the statements you have made?

E.g.

You have SCIENTIFIC evidence for god
Or
African HIV is totally different disease than European
Or
Any of the HIV nonsense.

Don't worry, you don't need to respond - I can spot a creationist miles away :-

Spout nonsense - check
Get called on it - check
Dodge for a bit - check
Ultimately refuse to offer any support for nonsense - check
Get all childish and resort to name calling - check

Hey, whadya know - 5/5 on the creationist scale

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are at the very edge. The next step is sometimes referred to as "decompenstating".

I am old school. I prefer "psychotic break".

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>

Between what was before and what comes after.

What does a bridge do?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>SZ... You are a spineless atheist wallowing in the putrid stench of uncontrollable arrogance.

We truth tellers are always being told things like that. We get used to it. Like water off a ducks back.

If you can think you can actually RESPOND to any of my facts (preferably rationally) I will be here.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You have facts bas ackward. I believe in God, but I do not need the fear of god to motivate me to do what is right.
Atheists have better morals than we Christians do because they do what is right without any requirement to do what is right.
Why are there a disproportional number of Christians in prison while atheists are underrepresented vs. their numbers in the general population?
And it is an observable fact that you flub up basic science every opportunity you get. You can't say two words about evolution without throwing in a straw-man.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Between what was before and what comes after.
What does a bridge do?
Nice dodge.
Mugwump

Workington, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Nice dodge.
Talking of dodging
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Talking of dogmatic statements are you willing to present any support for some of the statements you have made?
E.g.
You have SCIENTIFIC evidence for god
Or
African HIV is totally different disease than European
Or
Any of the HIV nonsense.
Don't worry, you don't need to respond - I can spot a creationist miles away :-
Spout nonsense - check
Get called on it - check
Dodge for a bit - check
Ultimately refuse to offer any support for nonsense - check
Get all childish and resort to name calling - check
Hey, whadya know - 5/5 on the creationist scale
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Whatsamatteryou Russell, didja figure out that you are incapable of making a difference here?

Why do ya think that is Russell?
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really think that what you have to say, right or wrong, means anything to these morons?
Mugwump

Workington, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really think that what you have to say, right or wrong, means anything to these morons?
Still waiting
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Still waiting for you to explain how even though your spin hypothesis suggests that cells in the body should rotate to match the rotation of the earth......
That is NOT what we observe.
Until you respond rationally to questions you are worthless as far as a discussion goes.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Spin dizzy earth

Science by Jim Ryan

Ask any person to spin around 30 times and see what happens and they spin on their feet at maybe 3 miles an hour.

Then all we need do is consider how the earth is spinning at 1,000 miles per hour in a circle and yet, none show signs of dizziness or sickness from such.

The above implies that our cells are spinning to match the earths amount of spin or everybody would be sick and dizzy.

Any extra spin creates dizziness at the least, implying a pretty delicate balance, but hey, why don't you or science or anyone give a better reason for such.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 120,581 - 120,600 of168,470
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••