Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
120,561 - 120,580 of 171,383 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
He has no morals. Rusty at least makes some effort, on occasion, but HTS cannot stop himself from telling lies, even about things that are easy to verify.
Anyone who needs a god standing over them to behave correctly has not morals. That is just fear, not morality.
It's interesting that rather than providing scientific arguments to refute what I post, your only retort is to call me a "liar".
You say I have no morals, yet you embrace a worldview that is totally devoid of morality.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The coelacanth has more than "mere fins".
It is not transitional.
It lives 1,500 feet deep in the ocean and is not about to venture out onto land.
Learn a lesson in humility.
Your storytelling is not science.

True
False
True (though most coelacanth in the fossil record lived in shallow waters).

The last two seem to result from projection on your part.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Look on any evolutionary tree of life.
The coelacanth is not considered transitional by taxonomists.

You really need to get more educated on this subject before speaking on it. At least rusty does not make as many silly mistakes as this.

coelacanth IS a transitional (except for the ones that went extinct without leaving a lineage).

It is not considered to be a MAJOR transitional.

Also, please learn the following words and their meaning in biology.

Species
Genus
Family
Order
Transitional
Major-Transitional.

Thanks for your support.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no skepticism in evolutionary biology.
The immutable doctrine is EVOLUTIONDIDIT.

Says the guy who cannot write a post on general science without demonstrating major gaffs and lack of understanding.

Evolution has been subject to more scrutiny than any other theory in the history of science and it just becomes stronger and more comprehensive.

While you don't seem to understand it, your comments on evolution would bring every major field of science into question.

Just in the last few days you have questioned
Physics
Astronomy (astrophysics, cosmology)
Chemistry
Biology,
paleontology
Geology,
and anthropology.

So, just how serious do you think we need to take your uninformed opinions.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The stale "imperfections of nature" observation is a philosophical argument that has been repeatedly and soundly debunked. You only underscore the weakness of the evolution hypothesis by continually dredging it up.

My "argument" was only in response to logical error in the particular post I was replying to. It was an attempt to show the poster their error in logic using an analogous counter example. I use the exact same error as they made only using a countering example.

Not that they are bright enough to get it.

And the appendix still no longer has the same useful function in the digestive system that it once did.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
It's interesting that rather than providing scientific arguments to refute what I post, your only retort is to call me a "liar".
You say I have no morals, yet you embrace a worldview that is totally devoid of morality.

You have facts bas ackward. I believe in God, but I do not need the fear of god to motivate me to do what is right.

Atheists have better morals than we Christians do because they do what is right without any requirement to do what is right.

Why are there a disproportional number of Christians in prison while atheists are underrepresented vs. their numbers in the general population?

And it is an observable fact that you flub up basic science every opportunity you get. You can't say two words about evolution without throwing in a straw-man.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
HTS, we have shown countless times when yo have lied. One of your favorite methods is to quote mine and after catching you several times I do so automatically. I have yet to be shown wrong in those accusations and if you were not quote mining it would be easy for you to prove it. You may not be doing the dirty work yourself but you are at the very least going to sources that you know quote mine since you have been caught in the past when you used the same source. Passing off a friend's lie that you know is a lie is still lying.
HTS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You really need to get more educated on this subject before speaking on it. At least rusty does not make as many silly mistakes as this.
coelacanth IS a transitional (except for the ones that went extinct without leaving a lineage).
Species
Genus
Family
Order
Transitional
Major-Transitional.
Thanks for your support.
Your unbridled arrogance is blinding you.
Elohim

Branford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Your unbridled arrogance is blinding you.
Your unbridled ignorance is hilarious!
HTS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You have facts bas ackward. I believe in God, but I do not need the fear of god to motivate me to do what is right.
Atheists have better morals than we Christians do because they do what is right without any requirement to do what is right.
Why are there a disproportional number of Christians in prison while atheists are underrepresented vs. their numbers in the general population?
And it is an observable fact that you flub up basic science every opportunity you get. You can't say two words about evolution without throwing in a straw-man.
SZ... You are a spineless atheist wallowing in the putrid stench of uncontrollable arrogance.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>

Transitional between what and what?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>SZ... You are a spineless atheist wallowing in the putrid stench of uncontrollable arrogance.
Really?

Why then are you that runs away from arguments all of the time?

I am still waiting for you to learn what evidence is so that I can teach you more about science in general and geology and evolution in particular.

I am really not that arrogant. I only get that way when dealing with lying idiots.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you for real Dude
I would be utterly and devastatingly embarrassed and humiliated if I ever produced a list like the one you have as evidence for human evolution
Good heavens!
We're going from bad to worse
Next I expect some fool will bring up Titaalik
Now I can clearly see the extent of your evo-tardism...
Thus far it was all cloaked in mystery with your oblique references to "Page one" of the sister debate thread
HELP ME LORD!!!
IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS ANY EVIDENCE FOR EVOLUTION?????
I need a debate Lord
Not an encounter with marshmallows and evo-goons
You are at the very edge. The next step is sometimes referred to as "decompenstating".

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Transitional between what and what?
Don't you know that every generation of every species is transitional? We've been over this before.
Mugwump

Workington, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

One way or another wrote:
The childish Evo morons bring no proof. They bring deceit.
Still waiting for you to explain how even though your spin hypothesis suggests that cells in the body should rotate to match the rotation of the earth......

That is NOT what we observe.

Until you respond rationally to questions you are worthless as far as a discussion goes.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you know that every generation of every species is transitional? We've been over this before.
Dogmatic statements do not qualify as science.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Your unbridled arrogance is blinding you.

Projection.

You have no counter, I get that.

Now, did you do your homework? Because understanding my posts is predicated on you understanding basic science.

Now, to review, the MODERN species of coelacanth do NOT exist in the fossil record.

The species, genus, families and orders of coelacanths in the fossil record do NOT exist now.

What does that tell you? Oh, never mind that. What would that tell a rational human being?

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Species
Genus
Family
Order
Transitional
Major-Transitional.
Thanks for your support.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Mugwump

Workington, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Talking of dogmatic statements are you willing to present any support for some of the statements you have made?

E.g.

You have SCIENTIFIC evidence for god
Or
African HIV is totally different disease than European
Or
Any of the HIV nonsense.

Don't worry, you don't need to respond - I can spot a creationist miles away :-

Spout nonsense - check
Get called on it - check
Dodge for a bit - check
Ultimately refuse to offer any support for nonsense - check
Get all childish and resort to name calling - check

Hey, whadya know - 5/5 on the creationist scale

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are at the very edge. The next step is sometimes referred to as "decompenstating".

I am old school. I prefer "psychotic break".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••