Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 6,004)

Showing posts 120,061 - 120,080 of168,509
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
For starters, let's see you validate the age of 1.6 million years for Turkana Boy. Where did that number come from? Did you pull it out of a hat? No... you blindly swallowed whatever kool-aid was thrown at you by talkorigins.
We can discuss that fallacy behind all of the conclusions of Turkana Boy as soon as you tell me what scientific evidence there is to confirm that he is 1.6 million years old.
"Luckily for paleoanthropologists, the Turkana Boy lived in a region
of active volcanoes whose deposits can be dated. When ash or lava from
a volcano has cooled, radioactive potassium 40 in the material begins to
decay at a known rate to stable argon 40. By measuring the proportions
of potassium 40 and argon 40 present today, scientists can determine how
much time has elapsed since the rock formed, and, by inference, the age
of fossils found in or between the rock layers. In recent decades,
a refinement to the technique has involved measuring the ratio of artificially made argon 39 to argon 40. Both conventional potassium-
argon and argon-argon dating were used to determine that the Turkana Boy was
sandwiched between volcanic ashes respectively dated to about 1.88 million
and about 1.39 million years ago. By using measurements of how distant the skeleton was from each of these layers and assumptions about how fast the intervening layers would have formed, an estimated age of about 1.53 million years was obtained."
http://planet.uwc.ac.za/nisl/Scientific_metho...

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Russell wrote:
That strange
My post #123120 is missing...
It was a re-post since the previous attempt was also missing...?
Another attempt seems futile.....but here goes....
----------
My post #122104---> missing
Rather odd...
Good thing I keep some records
<quoted text>
Its not quite as nice and tidy as that
We've been through all this type of media hype before
Evo-tards have had to eat crow many times...
http://www.arn.org/blogs/index.php/literature ...
And whatever happened to Ardi?
Wasn't she a hot favourite in the evo-yarn spinning?
An ape with monkey features?
----------
Please see the last column on the second page of this pdf--->
http://morethebook.org/dominantanimal.org/wp -...
----------
Here's the kicker--->
Humans differ from other animals in many aspects of anatomy, physiology, and behaviour; however, the genotypic basis of most human-specific traits remains unknown.
"Recent whole-genome comparisons have made it possible to identify genes with elevated rates of amino acid change or divergent expression in humans, and non-coding sequences with accelerated base pair changes.
"Regulatory alterations may be particularly likely to produce phenotypic effects while preserving viability, and are known to underlie interesting evolutionary differences in other species. Here we identify molecular events particularly likely to produce significant regulatory changes in humans: complete deletion of sequences otherwise highly conserved between chimpanzees and other mammals.
"We confirm 510 such deletions in humans, which fall almost exclusively in non-coding regions and are enriched near genes involved in steroid hormone signalling and neural function. "
---McLean, et al., Nature, 10 March 2011,“Human-specific loss of regulatory DNA and the evolution of human-specific traits”, pages 216–219
AND especially for you, SZ
Since you're exhausted and can't be bothered
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v471/n73 ...
Bear in mind-->
Humans and chimps DID NOT share a common ancestor
So all this is quite redundant anyway
And the conclusions are meaningless
----------
CONT in PART 2-->

Why would you post nonsense like this more than once. Why not just rent a billboard with your face on it with the caption "I'm REALLY Stupid!" More people would see that even though your point would be less convincing.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

defender wrote:
<quoted text>
True...

I already refuted this.

Look it up.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
http://planet.uwc.ac.za/nisl/Scientific_metho...
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/...
What is the nature of your amateurish incredulity?
Okay, your up. What is YOUR evidence. LOL!!!
Radiometric dating of volcanic ash is worthless.

The accuracy of radiometric dating has been challenged experimentally. Samples from lava flows of known dates have been submitted to reputable radiometric dating laboratories. For example, Geochron Laboratories of Cambridge, Massachusetts analyzed crushed rock from the dome of Mt. St. Helens utilizing the Potassium-Argon method. The sample was obtained ten years after its eruption in 1980. Assigned ages varied from 340,000 years to 2.8 million years.* The Hualalai basalt lava flow in Hawaii, which erupted between 1800 and 1801, was determined to be 22 million years old by the Potassium-Argon Method.* Sunset Crater in Arizona, which erupted around AD 1064, was dated at 250,000 to 270,000 years. Mt. Etna basalt, which erupted in Sicily in 1792, was dated at 1.41 million years.*. Many other examples of volcanic lava flows of known dates have been blindly subjected to radiometric dating and have yielded similarly worthless results.

Austin, S.A., 1996. Excess Argon Within Mineral Concentrates from the New Dacite Lava Dome at Mount St. Helens Volcano. CEN Tech.J., 10(3):335-343

Funkhouser, John G., and Naughton, John J., Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 73, No. 14, July
1968, pp.4601-4607.

Austin, S.A.,(edit),1994. Grand Canyon: Monument to Catastrophe, Institute for Creation Research, Santee, CA, pp

So you see, Dogen, you have a worthless methodology. If a 200 year old lava flow was radiometrically dated to 22 million years by the K-Ar method, what reason do I have to believe that your Turkana boy was any where near 1.5 million years old.

The article you posted was pure propaganda...very unscientific. It offered no evidence whatsoever that the dating methodology was reliable. Simply stating that it was assigned a certain date through Radiometric dating is worthless. How many samples did they go through t achieve the desired result? Do you know? Why isn't it published?
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution has been documented by observant humans for nearly 2500 years. It is visible in the genetic record, in the fossil record, in field studies and now in real time in the laboratory. And there are over 2 dozen separate lines of evidence supporting the Theory evolution. More than for any other theory!
<quoted text>
Keep on dreaming Dogen.
You have no scientific evidence whatsoever.
Evolution is biologically impossible. Just do the math.
Evolution has been validated by propaganda and repetition.
I know that you think that if you keep parroting the same worthless dogma that more stooges will blindly accept your worthless theory.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Just go to Talkorigins !! They got it all sketched out from tiny bone fragments!! Lol... And don't forget your bullshit boots ... You'll need em...

You Do know that the information on TO is pulled directly from primary research.

The disappointing thing about creationists is that there are no science literate ones. I would really like to have a serious conversation with an educated and rational creationist about how they support their views with science and reason. I think it would be interesting. But I have just defined a magic gnome..... i.e. something that does not exist.

So all I have is numbskulls like HTS, Rusty and Urb. I am actually coming to appreciate Urb as being the intellectual giant of that group!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Radiometric dating of volcanic ash is worthless..........

LOL. Your posts are worthless. Got anymore creotard garbage to dump here?

I still dream of the intelligent, educated, rational creationist to have a discussion with.

Maybe someday.
Mugwump

Workington, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The accuracy of radiometric dating has been challenged experimentally. Samples from lava flows of known dates have been submitted to reputable radiometric dating laboratories. For example, Geochron Laboratories of Cambridge, Massachusetts analyzed crushed rock from the dome of Mt. St. Helens utilizing the Potassium-Argon method. The sample was obtained ten years after its eruption in 1980. Assigned ages varied from 340,000 years to 2.8 million years.* The Hualalai basalt lava flow in Hawaii, which erupted between 1800 and 1801, was determined to be 22 million years old by the Potassium-Argon Method.* Sunset Crater in Arizona, which erupted around AD 1064, was dated at 250,000 to 270,000 years. Mt. Etna basalt, which erupted in Sicily in 1792, was dated at 1.41 million years.*. Many other examples of volcanic lava flows of known dates have been blindly subjected to radiometric dating and have yielded similarly worthless results.
Austin, S.A., 1996. Excess Argon Within Mineral Concentrates from the New Dacite Lava Dome at Mount St. Helens Volcano. CEN Tech.J., 10(3):335-343
Funkhouser, John G., and Naughton, John J., Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 73, No. 14, July
1968, pp.4601-4607.
Austin, S.A.,(edit),1994. Grand Canyon: Monument to Catastrophe, Institute for Creation Research, Santee, CA, pp
So you see, Dogen, you have a worthless methodology. If a 200 year old lava flow was radiometrically dated to 22 million years by the K-Ar method, what reason do I have to believe that your Turkana boy was any where near 1.5 million years old.
The article you posted was pure propaganda...very unscientific. It offered no evidence whatsoever that the dating methodology was reliable. Simply stating that it was assigned a certain date through Radiometric dating is worthless. How many samples did they go through t achieve the desired result? Do you know? Why isn't it published?
Typical Christian BS

Oh and hint : where does the lava come from ?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
1968, pp.4601-4607.
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/TEDTVO26B...

Presumably you're two separate people. So why be dishonest and not source your cut & paste?

Uhuh.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. Your posts are worthless. Got anymore creotard garbage to dump here?
I still dream of the intelligent, educated, rational creationist to have a discussion with.
Maybe someday.
As usual, you can never provide a scientific refutation of anything.
It's is getting boring.
Anything that conflicts with your religion is "creatard garbage"... That's very scholarly...
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
... ID has already been disproved.
Would you care to defend the above asinine statement?
Mugwump

Workington, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
It's is getting boring.
Anything that conflicts with your religion is "creatard garbage"... That's very scholarly...
Typical Christian BS propaganda
Mugwump

Workington, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you care to defend the above asinine statement?
Typical Christian Right wing BS propaganda
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it biased toward science and against creationism? Of course. It is guilty of that. It is telling that it inspires such fear and hatred in you. But that it "convinced me of the fallacy of evolution" is a lie. You received your religious programming long before TO was ever put on a website.
Dogen, why do you continue to accuse people of lying when you have yet to articulate what is wrong with lying? You speak of moral values as if they are self evident. Yet you embrace a religion that has no objective basis for any morality.
Are you a liar? If not, why not?
What makes you tick?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
You are one desperate evo-tard...
Hey listen Bud...
There's this bridge in Sydney...
Real nice an' all
Right, you bit hard on that post. There is no desperation from me. That must be you projecting your own desperation.

Poor, poor Rusty.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical Christian BS propaganda
Oh, the dizzying intellect of the British...

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
It's is getting boring.

The problem is that you don't know what science looks like so you don't know when you are being scientifically refuted.

The science has been provided. You tiny little brain is simply nailed shut.

HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

Go ahead, Mugwumps... Take a stab at it...Where does youramorality come from? Or you must do "whatever"?

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

defender wrote:
<quoted text>
They are defenders of the faith of Darwinism...
Oh no, another worshiper of chunks of wood.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Why can't evolutionist understand science?
Sorry wood chunk worshiper, we do understand science.

I have even offered to teach how to understand science to creatards. No takers as of yet.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 120,061 - 120,080 of168,509
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

14 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min THE LONE WORKER 105,938
Kevin Wingate: ID should be included in science... 27 min llDayo 5
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 35 min KAB 127,038
Science News (Sep '13) 3 hr Ricky F 2,671
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 5 hr Dogen 13,473
Science News NOT related to evolution (Jul '09) Wed MikeF 1,236
Posting for Points in the Evolution Forum (Oct '11) Tue ChristineM 13,936
•••
•••