Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180366 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#123302 Mar 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>He acknowledged that the teaching of ToE is propaganda... What other spin can you put on it? You think that's legitimate?
Dispense with the "quote-mining" card... It's getting old.
The Bible says: "There is no God."

What other spin can you put on it? You think that's legitimate?
Dispense with the "quote-mining card... It's getting old.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Mars

#123303 Mar 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
How does the atheistic model of evolution explain a moral compass?
Specifically, why do any of you atheist pigeons pay any attention to your conscience, if you think it evolved by mistakes in DNA replication?
Why is it wrong to lie, or is it?
Why is it wrong to steal, or is it?
If it is wrong, define "wrong" in terms of mutations and natural selection.

Humans are evolved to be social animals. We would not survive without society.

It is wrong to lie because it is wrong.
Ibid with stealing.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#123304 Mar 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you telling me that a dumb peahen is sufficiently intelligent to have aesthetic appreciation?

I would put a peahen up against you, in the IQ and aesthetic department, any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#123305 Mar 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Please define "lying" and why it is immoral...

Lying is what you do 24/7. It is immoral to the extent it is harmful to others and oneself.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#123306 Mar 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
As usual, you dodged the question.
Your conscience comes from genetics?
Then I take it that you think that you are a mindless robot, incapable of self-determination?

Ah, the bait and switch fallacy.

Ask a logical question and you will get a logical answer.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#123307 Mar 12, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually - I would disagree - I don't think morality comes from my genes - my upbringing, my environment , my 'social circle'. Suspect genetics has an influence in some extreme examples but they are the exception.
My point is that I don't need religion to act (what I hope is) morally.

Of course. I was not intending to deny environmental influence.

Genetics does have a strong influence and forms the foundation for more sophisticated morality to be built.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#123308 Mar 12, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you're being silly

What are you doing in Australia?

I have come to understand that America was initially populated by religious zealots and Australia by criminals [dang lucky Ausies!], so how did you end up half a world away from your natural home?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#123309 Mar 12, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
And a staunch evolutionist
Since evolution is not an "ism," we know you are just lying to protect your imaginary babysitter. Why do we allow babies like you to surf the web?
One way or another

United States

#123310 Mar 12, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm desperately good looking
Just ask my Mum
I could tell by those muscles.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#123311 Mar 12, 2013
It's clear all the evos are in denial mode. They no longer even try to answer the questions. Makes me wonder why they stick with such a failed theory. Oh well...

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#123312 Mar 12, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
It's clear all the evos are in denial mode. They no longer even try to answer the questions. Makes me wonder why they stick with such a failed theory. Oh well...
Try asking intelligent questions instead of just spewing blind assertions and regurgitating lies from creation.com .
One way or another

United States

#123313 Mar 12, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
May be that they have nothing else and they are mad at the world, so they take up a failed cause, so they can fight with others. I see no other reason to disgrace oneself as they do.
DinoBone

Webster, NY

#123314 Mar 12, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Try asking intelligent questions instead of just spewing blind assertions and regurgitating lies from creation.com .
This guy pretty much destroys the whole theory.

http://www.powerfultruth.com/Kent_Hovind.html

“Be strong ...”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

...I whispered to my coffee

#123315 Mar 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Your atheistic opinions are irrelevant.
And what's this nonsense about Stalin not being an atheist?
Even Dawkins, your esteemed hero, admitted on Bill O'Reilly that Stalin was unquestionably an atheist.
Christine, do you enjoy wallowing in base ignorance?
Do you enjoy telling bald-faced lies?
Do you have the intellectually honesty to answer the question that SZ, Dogen, the Dude, and other atheist hacks have heretofore refused to answer? Why is it wrong to lie? Try answering the question without spewing religious bigotry.
Not atheistic are anything else other than fact, because you choose to ignore facts does not make them irrelevant it just means you are an ignorant bigot.

Show me any “first hand” documentation (not christian hearsay) to show that Stalin was atheist and I will show you hundreds of first hand documented accounts of his work for christianity, both before he became a dictator and after when he rebuilt the church in Russia. Do you really think rebuilding the church is the action of and atheist? You have no understanding of what was imposed as christianity in Russia before the revolution so your christard opinions are irrelevant.

Dawkins is not my hero by any means but you are allowed to guess, after all you are a christian guess merchant and liar for your cause who considers Dawkins an antihero. Tell me, did Dawkins know Stalin? Is Dawkins a student of Stalin? So you are basing your opinion on the word of one guy who you would not trust to wipe your backside if he was commenting on scientific matters?

Do you enjoy lying for your god? Does it give you an erection every time you lie to those pesky atheists? I am not christian, I believe in facts, not old wives tales, bronze age hear say and religious incredulity, I have no need to lie.

Oh an easy one, It is wrong to lie because it is dishonest, even without criticising christian bigotry it is dishonest. I have my own morality to guide me and that morality allows no tolerance for liars, hence my stance against people like you.

However you christards have no such compunction. In the 10 commandments (#8 or 9 depending on which babble you read) states –“You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.”– Now the babble means nothing to me other than ammunition against christian lies, but it should mean something to you.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#123316 Mar 12, 2013
DinoBone wrote:
<quoted text>
This guy pretty much destroys the whole theory.
http://www.powerfultruth.com/Kent_Hovind.html
You're joking, right? Sarcasm, I hope?
Level 6

Port Richey, FL

#123317 Mar 12, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like the one you just posted above? No, you are the only ones that do that.

“Be strong ...”

Level 6

#123318 Mar 12, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that logic is a very weak part of your abilities but Christine never said that Stalin was not an atheist. At least not in the part of her post in your quotation.
From what I can ascertain there is no direct evidence that Stalin was atheist. On the contrary, he had a very strict religious upbringing with the aim of gaining the priesthood. True that in his early political career he made a vast effort to rid Russia of religion, nothing to do with atheism but manipulation of the abuses imposed by the Czars. For generations the Russian people had been taught that the head of state was close to god, as the Pope is to a catholic. They were a people indoctrinated to servility to master and state from birth. What Stalin did was exploit these two facts, and place himself in the position of god.

There is direct evidence that he revived the Russian Orthodox Church, he was on the council convened to elected a new church Patriarch. He re-opened the Russian theological schools and thousands of churches. He was responsible for the re-opening the Moscow Theological Academy Seminary after it had been closed since 1918.

These are not the acts of an atheist who believed that christ existed.

Before his death he banned certain cults of christianity, not (as proclaimed by modern day christianity) for the purpose of ridding the country of christianity but to unify religion in Russia under the one banner of the Russian Orthodox Church. This is a hope that all christians share, just so long as it is their personal banner.

Sure he was not a nice man but there is no evidence to claim he was an atheist, more an often misrepresented religious opportunist who used his religious principals to gain control of Russia.
Level 6

Port Richey, FL

#123319 Mar 12, 2013
I say there is only three possibilities for evolution: 1. rearranging existing genes, 2. removing genetic information, and 3. ruining genetic information.

Notice there is no mechanism for creating new information.

If anyone has a fourth way, I'd sure like to hear it.

Evos think about it. If your theory were true, there would have to be a very prolific mechanism in place for creating new information. You should have massive volumes of cases of new genetic information being created. If universal common ancestry is true, this would predict encyclolopedic knowledge resulting from the infinitesimal incremental changes required from single cell all the way to man; yet...you don't even have one simple case. None! Why don't you get this?

“Be strong ...”

Level 6

#123320 Mar 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Please define "lying" and why it is immoral...
Are you saying that lying is not immoral?

Are you saying the 10/67/613 commandments are wrong?
Level 6

Port Richey, FL

#123321 Mar 12, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I can ascertain there is no direct evidence that Stalin was atheist. On the contrary, he had a very strict religious upbringing with the aim of gaining the priesthood. True that in his early political career he made a vast effort to rid Russia of religion, nothing to do with atheism but manipulation of the abuses imposed by the Czars. For generations the Russian people had been taught that the head of state was close to god, as the Pope is to a catholic. They were a people indoctrinated to servility to master and state from birth. What Stalin did was exploit these two facts, and place himself in the position of god.
There is direct evidence that he revived the Russian Orthodox Church, he was on the council convened to elected a new church Patriarch. He re-opened the Russian theological schools and thousands of churches. He was responsible for the re-opening the Moscow Theological Academy Seminary after it had been closed since 1918.
These are not the acts of an atheist who believed that christ existed.
Before his death he banned certain cults of christianity, not (as proclaimed by modern day christianity) for the purpose of ridding the country of christianity but to unify religion in Russia under the one banner of the Russian Orthodox Church. This is a hope that all christians share, just so long as it is their personal banner.
Sure he was not a nice man but there is no evidence to claim he was an atheist, more an often misrepresented religious opportunist who used his religious principals to gain control of Russia.
"Raised in the Georgian Orthodox faith, Stalin became an atheist."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_stalin#Re...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 21 min Samuel Patre 165,350
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Howard 85,466
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 5 hr Dogen 4,766
What's your religion? Mon Paul Porter1 5
Experiment In Evolution, Genetic Algorithms and... Mon was auch immer 8
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Mon Dogen 33,127
God hates Tennessee Sun Rev Jackson 2
More from around the web