Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 173,408

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story
One way or another

United States

#122169 Mar 7, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
It turned out that you didn't actually know anything about C-14 dating nor even how it was proven to be accurate to within 3% of actual dates.
Suck on the following idiot.:-) thanks for showing everyone you're too stupid to know when science makes you out a fool. Hahahaha

Carbon dating a lie

Tell us dumb shit, how much extra cosmic radiation is added into our atmosphere when a massive star explodes or implodes?
Is the rate of bombardment constant?
NASA----
No. This is one reason why carbon dating ( http://www.sigmaxi.org/amsci/articles/00artic ...)(the carbon isotopes they measure are created by cosmic rays) is inaccurate, because it assumes that the rate is a constant, which is a typical gradualist way of looking at things. Evidence from a half-metre long stalagmite that grew between 45 000 and 11 000 years ago in a cave in the Bahamas, shows that the cosmic ray intensity for that period was double what it is today - see here or here for more info.
Read more: http://survive2012.com/index.php/cosmic-rays ....
One way or another

United States

#122170 Mar 7, 2013
The sequester is so the gov can borrow more money, while the gov only makes the poorest people lose. The rest in the sequester are not going to lose anything.
The gov, kicking the can down the road. Watch out little investors, they're gonna take all ya got this time.

The only reason for sequester is china and Japan are demanding America get its house in order
One way or another

United States

#122171 Mar 7, 2013
Did anyone else see the special done on china? China has many shining new cities, all across china, with no one living in them.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#122172 Mar 7, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Suck on the following idiot.:-) thanks for showing everyone you're too stupid to know when science makes you out a fool. Hahahaha
Carbon dating a lie
Tell us dumb shit, how much extra cosmic radiation is added into our atmosphere when a massive star explodes or implodes?
Is the rate of bombardment constant?
NASA----
No. This is one reason why carbon dating ( http://www.sigmaxi.org/amsci/articles/00artic ...)(the carbon isotopes they measure are created by cosmic rays) is inaccurate, because it assumes that the rate is a constant, which is a typical gradualist way of looking at things. Evidence from a half-metre long stalagmite that grew between 45 000 and 11 000 years ago in a cave in the Bahamas, shows that the cosmic ray intensity for that period was double what it is today - see here or here for more info.
Read more: http://survive2012.com/index.php/cosmic-rays ....
This is a blatant lie. Carbon isotopes are not assumed constant. Calibration curves are employed to account for known variations in concentration. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dati...

Why do Christians lie so much? Who would want a religion based on lies?
One way or another

United States

#122173 Mar 7, 2013
http://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-ghost-...

Take a look at chinas ghost cities.

Can you say huge housing and commercial bubble.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#122174 Mar 7, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
SZ... Yet again you prove yourself to be incapable of logically answering any of the challenges to evolution.
There have been no challenges to evolution. You made some idiot posts, that is all.
HTS

Williston, ND

#122175 Mar 7, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Humans are apes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape
If you want it in peer review the try this one:
"Primate evolution at the DNA level and a classification of hominoids". Journal of Molecular Evolution 30 (3): 260266.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2109087
I'm interested in science, not recycled atheist BS.
One way or another

United States

#122176 Mar 7, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
There have been no challenges to evolution. You made some idiot posts, that is all.
Said the moron with no proof.
One way or another

United States

#122177 Mar 7, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a blatant lie. Carbon isotopes are not assumed constant. Calibration curves are employed to account for known variations in concentration. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dati...
Do show us the calibration curves child. I read a lot and your putrid web page shows no calibration curves s especially the reasoning behind the curve.

Come on monkey, show the people here sciences reasons for calibration curve. Lol--moron.
HTS

Williston, ND

#122178 Mar 7, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No challenges?
I challenged you to give me a scientific explanation for the existence of endemic seals of Lake Baikal, and you fell flat.
Now you have the gall to say I have presented "no challenges"?
I'm sorry that the facts of nature don't conform to your atheistic worldview, but you'll have to deal with it.
Even with your great imagination, you cannot come up with a remotely logical proposal as to how seals ended up in an inland lake,

I suppose it's just another example of "convergence"...mayb e they evolved directly from bears...and they just happen to look like marine seals. Is that your grand explanation?
One way or another

United States

#122179 Mar 7, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
So now moron, you claim NASA is lying and Wikipedia is your savior? Lol

Level 9

Everett, WA

#122180 Mar 7, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>No challenges?
I challenged you to give me a scientific explanation for the existence of endemic seals of Lake Baikal, and you fell flat.
Now you have the gall to say I have presented "no challenges"?
I'm sorry that the facts of nature don't conform to your atheistic worldview, but you'll have to deal with it.
Even with your great imagination, you cannot come up with a remotely logical proposal as to how seals ended up in an inland lake,
I suppose it's just another example of "convergence"...mayb e they evolved directly from bears...and they just happen to look like marine seals. Is that your grand explanation?
Check back, I did reply to that one. That was not a challenge. It was question by an idiot, that is all.

And remember, if you want evidence you have some work to do.
HTS

Williston, ND

#122181 Mar 7, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Odd that you can't even answer the "idiotic distractions"
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
How was "purpose" determined in an objective manner via the scientific method?
What is the purpose of life?
I'm not buying into your games. Why should I define purpose when your perverted worldview contends that purpose is non-existent?
HTS

Williston, ND

#122183 Mar 7, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Check back, I did reply to that one. That was not a challenge. It was question by an idiot, that is all.
And remember, if you want evidence you have some work to do.
Oh, now I understand...
Any scientific challenge to evolution that can't be answered is a "question by an idiot"...
Unfortunately, I don't think you have any canned retorts that you can pull out of your hip pocket...
You might have to actually think for yourself on this one...
HTS

Williston, ND

#122184 Mar 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Do show us the calibration curves child. I read a lot and your putrid web page shows no calibration curves s especially the reasoning behind the curve.
Come on monkey, show the people here sciences reasons for calibration curve. Lol--moron.
It is impossible to create a calibration curve for C-14 dating longer than proven history...ie, longer than about 4,000 years. Anything beyond that is not science. No one knows what the level of C-14 was in the atmosphere at that time, what the earth's magnetic poles were doing, etc. Raw speculation is not science.
HTS

Williston, ND

#122185 Mar 7, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
"purposeful"?
Your fundy extremest, antiquated world view isn't perfectly obvious?
You call me an extremist because I believe in the concept of "purpose"?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#122186 Mar 7, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, now I understand...
Any scientific challenge to evolution that can't be answered is a "question by an idiot"...
Unfortunately, I don't think you have any canned retorts that you can pull out of your hip pocket...
You might have to actually think for yourself on this one...
No, any question by you is a question by an idiot. And as I said, you are the one who controls if you get evidence or not. By refusing to learn what evidence is I have no reason to give you any. In fact I have a very good reason not to give you any evidence. Idiots tend to ignore evidence that they cannot understand.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#122187 Mar 7, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You call me an extremist because I believe in the concept of "purpose"?
What are "emergent properties?" How do they differ from "purpose?" What is the "purpose" of a genetic mutation?
HTS

Williston, ND

#122188 Mar 7, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Non-random three-dimensional dihedral symmetry.
<quoted text>

A snowflake is not "non-random".
It is symmetrical only because of the molecular configuration and polarity of water.
Explain to me your scientific justification for labeling snowflakes "non-random".
Nature is random... Not ordered. The recycled snowflake argument is a self-evident fallacy.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#122189 Mar 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Yet another christian lie. You don't read much at all or you would have noticed further down on the same page;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dati...

Go on! Keep lying monkey boy!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 45 min Zog Has-fallen 455
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr Dogen 136,976
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr JM_Brazil 116,437
Opinion on theistic company slogans 4 hr The Dude 2
Science News (Sep '13) 8 hr Sublime1 2,887
Here's a present for you atheists (Jan '14) 20 hr Chimney1 251
Are Asians/whites more evolved? (Sep '07) Sat The Dude 1,342
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••