Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180392 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

HTS

Englewood, CO

#121796 Mar 6, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I can tell you why. There is no working theory or hypothesis of intelligent design. A theory or hypothesis must be falsifiable. Otherwise it is definitely not a theory or even a proper hypothesis.
IDiots won't even come out and openly state their beliefs. It seems that they claim god had a hand in evolution. In other words they believe in common descent. So if you believe in ID then you believe that you are the descendant of a worm.
Fallacy of the false alternative...
You assume that any acceptance of evolution requires acceptance that man evolved from a worm.

Why do you continue to demand that I provide a scientific theory for ID. I don't have one. I don't claim that my beliefs can be validated by science. You do. So you, alone, are required to defend your hypotheses through science. Your continual references to religion are irrelevant.
One way or another

United States

#121797 Mar 6, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Weren't you the guy who was just bitching about someone ringing up your religious beliefs? What makes you think you know jack shit about mine?
<quoted text>
Kitten is quite capable of taking care of herself.
BTW, if you could get it up to escape velocity, it would just coast to the moon.
All the idiots like you and kitten think you are smart, when in actuality, you're as dumb as a box of rocks.

You bring nothing of value here. If I'm wrong? Show the board your best work here.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

#121798 Mar 6, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I can tell you why. There is no working theory or hypothesis of intelligent design. A theory or hypothesis must be falsifiable. Otherwise it is definitely not a theory or even a proper hypothesis.
IDiots won't even come out and openly state their beliefs. It seems that they claim god had a hand in evolution. In other words they believe in common descent. So if you believe in ID then you believe that you are the descendant of a worm.
The theory of Intelligent design is well known.

http://www.intelligentdesign.org/whatisid.php
Gillette

Packwood, IA

#121799 Mar 6, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Simply not true. Most of us (as I) were died in the wool evolutionists have changed our minds because of the evidence.
Total LIE.

It's standard Christian apologetical tactic #12: i.e. claim that YOU were an atheist once and have seen the light, etc.

You've changed your mind, if, indeed you ever WERE a "died [sic] in the wool evolutionist), because you've become a craven Protestant, born-again Jesus Freak who has somehow been persuaded to take your head off your shoulders and just simply BELIEVE that the Bible's Genesis fable HAS to be literally, factually true otherwise the whole house of cards of your shabby Fall/Redemption theology collapses.

In brief, no Garden, no Adam and Eve and no Fall = no need to "accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior" and become a Christian.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#121800 Mar 6, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have any geological evidence that any of your claims are true? Can you show me a reference that indicates that the Hawaiian islands were once close to a continent? No geologist believes that. You have cherry picked whatever geologic theories you've embraced purely on their consistency with you religion of atheistic evolution.
I'm wondering how you're going to try and explain away the seals at Lake Baikal. Specificallly, how did Monk seals arrive in Hawaii, given the fact that they are supposedly descended from Atlantic seals. And how did a 900 pound land tortoise make it 600 miles to the Galapagos? You can't just say "plate tectonics, swimming, and continental drift"... that's a dodge.
I said that the conditions are different for every island. The Hawaiian islands have been in the middle of the Pacific for all of their existence. Don't say idiotic things such as that I have cherry picked a fact when you cannot show that. Again, you are mixing up my response with someone else. When you publish a ridiculous list I very often ignore it.

Let's take the Monk Seal for example. The correct answer is we are not sure yet how it go to Hawaii. The Hawaiian islands are not the only Pacific islands and it seems the most reasonable explanation is island hopping. Here is a possible scenario. They probably did come from the Caribbean. At that time North and South America were not connected. If a population moved to the western shores of North America they could have been driven north by other seal species, along the Aleutians and then south and east to present day Hawaii. You can see the possible route in this image of the Pacific Ocean basin:

http://www.google.com/imgres...

The islands to the west of Hawaii used to be above the surface. They have sunk over time due to isostasy over time. Haven't you ever notices that as you go north and west in Hawaii that the islands get smaller and lower? There is a reason for that.
One way or another

United States

#121801 Mar 6, 2013
Elohim wrote:
<quoted text>YAWN.... Never get tired of tossing insults and straw men do you?
Yea and you're too stupid to see that your childish clique does that, just as they are taught in the American school, political and work environments, that have been used to exploit third world countries and idiots just like you.
Gillette

Packwood, IA

#121802 Mar 6, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You are dead wrong. Sir Gavin de Beer wrote...
"It is now clear that the pride with which it was assumed that the inheritance of homologous structures from a common ancestor explained homology was misplaced; for such inheritance cannot be ascribed to identity of genes. The attempt to find 'homologous' genes, except in closely related species, has been given up as hopeless."
de Beer, Sir Gavin, Homology, An Unsolved Problem, Oxford University Press,(1971).
More lying Jesus Freak quote-mining.

http://ncse.com/cej/1/2/another-favorite-crea...

Another Favorite Creationist Argument: "The Genes for Homologous Structures are Not Homologous"

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#121803 Mar 6, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You cannot get it up to escape velocity... that is the whole point. If it were possible, it wouldn't be necessary for huge booster rockets carryiing millions of gallons of fuel to be employed.
Why thank you, Dr Obvious. I did say "if" you might have noted.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#121806 Mar 6, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
The theory of Intelligent design is well known.
http://www.intelligentdesign.org/whatisid.php
No, there is no "theory of intelligent design". That is a misuse of the word theory.

By definition all theories are falsifiable. How would you falsify intelligent design?

The fact that IDiots will not bother to find a falsification test for their "theory" and it is up to them to design such a test, is evidence that they don't really believe their theory. Scientists who believe their own theories have no problem developing tests for them. That is not the case with various creatards and IDiots.
One way or another

United States

#121807 Mar 6, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Total LIE.
It's standard Christian apologetical tactic #12: i.e. claim that YOU were an atheist once and have seen the light, etc.
You've changed your mind, if, indeed you ever WERE a "died [sic] in the wool evolutionist), because you've become a craven Protestant, born-again Jesus Freak who has somehow been persuaded to take your head off your shoulders and just simply BELIEVE that the Bible's Genesis fable HAS to be literally, factually true otherwise the whole house of cards of your shabby Fall/Redemption theology collapses.
In brief, no Garden, no Adam and Eve and no Fall = no need to "accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior" and become a Christian.
But but but but, science has dark matter, for which they have nothing but wishful thinking. No evidence you simpleton, just like the rest of evolution.
One way or another

United States

#121808 Mar 6, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Why thank you, Dr Obvious. I did say "if" you might have noted.
Only an idiot like you would say if, in such a case.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#121809 Mar 6, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Fallacy of the false alternative...
You assume that any acceptance of evolution requires acceptance that man evolved from a worm.
Why do you continue to demand that I provide a scientific theory for ID. I don't have one. I don't claim that my beliefs can be validated by science. You do. So you, alone, are required to defend your hypotheses through science. Your continual references to religion are irrelevant.
Not necessarily a worm, but definitely a creature that creatards would call a worm. And yes, that is what the theory of evolution and even ID says.

And no, your side has tried to claim many times that ID and even creationism is scientific. It isn't. You are somewhat right in that your own personal beliefs can be based on any myth that you choose. But this is a scientific debate. So if you want to debate here you have to do it using science. You don't get a free ride of arguing against evolution. You also have to state what you believe. Otherwise your arguments against evolution are meaningless.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#121810 Mar 6, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
But but but but, science has dark matter, for which they have nothing but wishful thinking. No evidence you simpleton, just like the rest of evolution.
Wrong Jimbo, we have evidence for it. You are too stupid to know what that evidence is.
One way or another

United States

#121811 Mar 6, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
More lying Jesus Freak quote-mining.
http://ncse.com/cej/1/2/another-favorite-crea...
Another Favorite Creationist Argument: "The Genes for Homologous Structures are Not Homologous"
Prove suppressor mutations. In other words, show us a picture of a suppressor.
One way or another

United States

#121812 Mar 6, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Not necessarily a worm, but definitely a creature that creatards would call a worm. And yes, that is what the theory of evolution and even ID says.
And no, your side has tried to claim many times that ID and even creationism is scientific. It isn't. You are somewhat right in that your own personal beliefs can be based on any myth that you choose. But this is a scientific debate. So if you want to debate here you have to do it using science. You don't get a free ride of arguing against evolution. You also have to state what you believe. Otherwise your arguments against evolution are meaningless.
I got a bridge for sale, real cheap. Lmao
One way or another

United States

#121813 Mar 6, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong Jimbo, we have evidence for it. You are too stupid to know what that evidence is.
No, you have wishful thinking bimbo.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#121814 Mar 6, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
And too stupid to understand the distinction between evolution, cosmology and physics.
Mugwump

UK

#121815 Mar 6, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove suppressor mutations. In other words, show us a picture of a suppressor.
You in melt-down mode today I take it?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#121816 Mar 6, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't answered the question.
The Galapagos and Hawaiian Islands are volcanic, so continental drift is irrelevant.
A 900 pound tortoise can't swim 600 miles of open ocean.
A seal cannot swim 9,000 miles of open ocean.
A one ton flightless bird cannot swim, and New Zealand is an oceanic island, 1200 miles from The nearest continent.
An d how did seals arrive at Lake Baikal, 1,000 miles from the nearest ocean.
Your simplistic answers are embarrassing and only reveal that you have no interest in science.
How would volcanic Islands be exempt from continental drift? Even if you were correct, which you aren't, continents could drift toward or away from them.

Continents drift at about the same rate that human fingernails grow.... about 2 inches a year. Over, 1,000,000,000 years, that would be 31565 miles. Plenty of distance to explain your observations based on continental drift alone.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#121817 Mar 6, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Most physicians I know think evolution is pseudoscience.
In the interest of public safety, please list them. Don't worry, they can still treat Christians.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 27 min Aura Mytha 69,957
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr Subduction Zone 161,437
Is Creationism and Intelligent Design debunked ... 5 hr Subduction Zone 95
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 hr 15th Dalai Lama 30,111
G-d versus Evolution? 6 hr 15th Dalai Lama 12
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 11 hr yehoshooah adam 3,779
News Defending the Faith: Intelligent design vs. 'Go... 16 hr Subduction Zone 1,969
More from around the web