Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180279 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#121755 Mar 6, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
That is no more logical than supposing that if a commercial aircraft were equipped with sufficient fuel, it could fly to the moon. Linear extrapolations such as you propose are rarely valid in scientific investigation. It should be assumed that any such extrapolations are false unless you can prove otherwise.
Actually, it could, given sufficient fuel, now the people on board would likely be dead by the time they get there, but the plane could make it. You should not utilize analogies that require things you know nothing about.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#121756 Mar 6, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Your "valid example" was nothing of the kind. You completely failed to specify how social integration of microbes provides the slightest hint of evidence that unicellular oraganisms could evolve into multicellular organisms. The extrapolation is flat out embarrassing.
You obviously failed to research the subject or you would have understood my point. Now *THAT* is embarrassing.

But continue to spout pure bullshit. That's what you do best, Doc.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#121757 Mar 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it could, given sufficient fuel, now the people on board would likely be dead by the time they get there, but the plane could make it. You should not utilize analogies that require things you know nothing about.
Are you kidding?...
I'm going to give you a chance to retract your ridiculous statment.
Are you telling me that sufficient fuel and oxygen are the only obstacles in preventing a commercial aircraft from flying to the moon? And you accuse me of knowing nothing about the physics of flight?
I understand your deluded mindset, having accepted a model of atheistic evolution, but I'm surprised that you would openly admit it.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#121758 Mar 6, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously failed to research the subject or you would have understood my point. Now *THAT* is embarrassing.
But continue to spout pure bullshit. That's what you do best, Doc.
Rather than hurling childish insults, you might explain specifically what your evidence is...if you actually understand it.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#121759 Mar 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you make a case for discarding your entire religious mythology. When will you begin taking your own advice into consideration?
You don't know that my religion is "mythology". You don't even know what my religion is. A scientist doesn't draw conclusions without examining the evidence.
One way or another

United States

#121760 Mar 6, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you lie for you god?
It is observed that bacteria/microbes evolve
In the 1940 when MRSA first reared it’s ugly head the cure was penicillin, antibiotic resistant strains were unknown. In 50 years it has evolved from a fairly common and easily treatable inconvenience to a world wide and sometime deadly bacteria.
Here is an easy on fro you from Berkeley Uni
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/news...
Something a bit more scientific from the journal of clinical investigation
http://www.jci.org/articles/view/23825
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you lie for you god?
It is observed that bacteria/microbes evolve
In the 1940 when MRSA first reared it’s ugly head the cure was penicillin, antibiotic resistant strains were unknown. In 50 years it has evolved from a fairly common and easily treatable inconvenience to a world wide and sometime deadly bacteria.
Here is an easy on fro you from Berkeley Uni
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/news...
Something a bit more scientific from the journal of clinical investigation
http://www.jci.org/articles/view/23825
Bacteria that are harmed by the introduction of other foreign substances or chemical imbalances will borrow DNA from other entities, to protect itself. Once bacteria add something new in their protective arsenal, the bacteria keep a reservoir within their own, just as lenski's experiment proves. Bacteria harbor and project that ability within colonies, through quorum sensing abilities.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

#121761 Mar 6, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
What paradox? Are you sure you know the meaning of the word? Look it up
Why have some people got blue eyes?
Because one ancestor underwent a genetic mutation of the gene adjacent to the OCA2 gene which controls melanin production. The mutation effected the OCA2 gene restricting that production which diluted eye for every human born of that original ancestor.
Blue eyed people have one common ancestor and it is known approximately where and when that mutation occurred, around the Bosperous between 6 and 10 thousand years ago
So are all humans blue eyed?
What does all that have to do with the C-Value Paradox? You're not making any sense.
One way or another

United States

#121762 Mar 6, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I gave you a valid example in modern times as a possible pathway in ancient times of the evolution of multicellular life.
Your mice/elephant scenario is too ridiculous to even consider. DO you feel posting stupid stuff somehow makes your position stronger?
Morons like you believe most stupidity. Your own key word,--" possible"-- meaning, some moron like you, guessing.
One way or another

United States

#121763 Mar 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you are lying.
No, you're just a wishful idiot.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#121764 Mar 6, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding?...
I'm going to give you a chance to retract your ridiculous statment.
Are you telling me that sufficient fuel and oxygen are the only obstacles in preventing a commercial aircraft from flying to the moon? And you accuse me of knowing nothing about the physics of flight?
I understand your deluded mindset, having accepted a model of atheistic evolution, but I'm surprised that you would openly admit it.
You also know that you did not specify a course, correct? There are more methods than going "straight" for exiting the atmosphere, and that's according to physics. It requires more fuel but even the less fortified commercial aircraft could break the atmosphere simply by following a lazy outward spiral, increasing elevation little bits at a time instead of all at once. That would require a lot of fuel, but given enough fuel it would make it out of the atmosphere. Once out of the atmosphere, going to the Moon of Earth is simply a matter of short engine bursts in the correct direction, then just lay back and enjoy the trip. This is actually being looked at as an alternative means, due to the inherent dangers of rocket propulsion required for direct land to extra-atmospheric trajectories. The most difficult challenge to overcome is the extreme cold, freezing of unprotected, not heated, mechanical parts could pose a threat to such a mission. But NASA developed some good metals to help against that.

If it has to do with technology, I know it, so again, next time you make up an analogy, make certain you actually know the science involved before making a total and complete idiot of yourself. Moron.
One way or another

United States

#121765 Mar 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you make a case for discarding your entire religious mythology. When will you begin taking your own advice into consideration?
Wow, you've outlined evolution. Lol

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#121766 Mar 6, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you're just a wishful idiot.
Now you are projecting.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#121767 Mar 6, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Rather than hurling childish insults, you might explain specifically what your evidence is...if you actually understand it.
And mice/elephant wasn't childish?

I understand it quite well. What is it you having trouble with? You asked about multicellular evolution and how it could have occurred. I gave you an example of how it might have occurred based on a modern example. The fact that we can observe this now demonstrates that such an evolutionary development was possible.

http://www.metamicrobe.com/dicty/

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#121768 Mar 6, 2013
<quoted text>
Wow, you've outlined evolution. Lol
Um ... can you make some sense in your next post please.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#121769 Mar 6, 2013
<quoted text>
Morons like you believe most stupidity. Your own key word,--" possible"-- meaning, some moron like you, guessing.
I'm guessing that it's possible that you have an IQ slightly higher than 65.

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#121770 Mar 6, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not disputing the fact that bacteria mutate to form antibiotic resistance. I'm disputing you conclusion that such an observation indicates that bacteria can increase in complexity. Antibiotic resistance involves a loss of genetic information, and its observance provides no evidence whatsoever that bacteria have the capacity to evolve into others species with novel traits.
You incessant assualting of my religion, of which you know nothing about, only indicates your insecurity and emotional committment to your cherished religion of atheism. If you actually believed you were engaging in scientific debate, you would present evidence to support your contentions. The perceived debunking of a specific religion does not constitute evidence for a scientific theory.
Your delusion is noted. Links to scientific evidence has been provided, you have chosen (again) to ignore that evidence, not my problem.

If you act like creatard godbot you will be treated as a creatard godbot. You are no different than many others affected with the same faith that you incorrectly call fact. Honey I know plenty about religion and I know plenty about religious people, my best friend is the wife or a BAC minister who holds a masters degree in theology herself. And after all it was religious people who drove me from the church, it was religious people who tried to kill my children and it was religious people who planted the bomb in Manchester that injured me and maimed my aunt. So don’t go hiding behind your god and claiming I know nothing about religion or your personal religion.

I have repeatedly presented scientific evidence to support my claims and you have repeatedly ignored that evidence. You need to remember that it was a member of a specific religion (you) who chose to blindly attempt to debunk that scientific evidence based on nothing but deliberate ignorance and incredulity

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#121771 Mar 6, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Bacteria that are harmed by the introduction of other foreign substances or chemical imbalances will borrow DNA from other entities, to protect itself. Once bacteria add something new in their protective arsenal, the bacteria keep a reservoir within their own, just as lenski's experiment proves. Bacteria harbor and project that ability within colonies, through quorum sensing abilities.
That my dear is called evolution

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#121772 Mar 6, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I never thought anyone with an IQ below 70 could utilize a computer, until I read the creationists on here.
One way or another

United States

#121773 Mar 6, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Waaaa waa waaa, you're the one that's too stupid to understand the implications of " possible". Projecting your stupidity onto others is just part of your sickness and chosen stupidity.
One way or another

United States

#121774 Mar 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Um ... can you make some sense in your next post please.
You choose to be an idiot, you don't know good sense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 4 min Genesis Enigma 159,380
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 22 min yehoshooah adam 2,046
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 32 min IB DaMann 58,601
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 50 min Regolith Based Li... 27,475
News Intelligent Design Education Day 17 hr Subduction Zone 8
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 23 hr Regolith Based Li... 219,629
Are Asians/whites more evolved? (Sep '07) Feb 23 Sentinel 1,758
More from around the web