Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180300 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

HTS

Mandan, ND

#120518 Feb 27, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
More heterosexual women got AIDs last year than homosexual men.
In the U.S. 80% of all HIV cases are acquired through heterosexual contact. Drug use and homosexual transmission accounted for 19%.
Ignore the CDC? Do you have paranoid notions about the CDC as well?
The CDC (even when wrong) have always put their faith in scientific research. I don't know why you wacko's seem to share the same paranoid delusions. What are your views on the APOLLO moon landings?
You will believe anything EXCEPT real science.
Pity.
You're confusing "AIDS" with HIV positivity. That's why the water is so muddy. Magic Johnson is HIV positive. He does not have AIDS. I am not a conspiracy theorist... But I don't naively swallow everything that is popular, particularly if political ramifications are involved, such as with AIDS.

When AIDS was first announced to be a viral illness, it was announced through a press conference... Not after peer-reviewed articles. The medical community was "told" that it was a viral illness when controversy was still very active. Thereafter, the mainstream capitulated to political pressure. Peter Duesberg, a renowned virologist at Berkeley, discontinued receiving research grants because he questioned the HIV/AIDS hypothesis. Today, most physicians accept that HIV causes AIDS because that is what they've been taught. But when you actually question them about it, they acknowledge many inconsistencies with the current dogma. I know a hospitalist who told me he's quit HIV testing in teenagers with STD's because he thinks it's a waste of money.

Dr. Peter Duesberg is credited with mapping the retroviral genome. He is a real scientist. A real scientist questions conventional dogma, even if those views are not popular. You consistently accuse anyone who doesn't go with the flow as being anti-science. You have it backwards.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#120519 Feb 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
God said no such thing. You are treating stories by camel humpers as if they were the word of god. That is sacrilege to say the least.
Are you ready for your lesson in theology?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#120520 Feb 27, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>No new gene was created... A trait was enhanced. No one disputes that mutations occur. They do not confer added information or complexity.
The myostatin gene was mutated, it is now a new myostatin gene that produces a faster and or more muscular dog. That is genetic information the other dogs don't have. Evolution is a fact. Deal with it!!

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#120521 Feb 27, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, cephalopod eyes are superior to vertebrate eyes in that they don't have a blind spot created by attachment of the optic nerve to the front of the retina. Their optic nerve attaches to the back side of the retina, just like an intelligent designer would have done for vertebrates, if there had been one.
Yup, evolution works on "good enough". "Perfect" is too limited to one specific niche and takes too much energy to develop. Our eyes work good enough for the purpose that they are used for. That being said our eyes still work better than cephalopod eyes. If ours had their internal structure they could be even sharper than Chuck Yeager's.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#120522 Feb 27, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you ready for your lesson in theology?
I doubt if you could teach one. You clearly are lacking in intelligence. In Rusty's world ice does not float. Force does not equal mass times acceleration. All sorts of insanity occurs there.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#120523 Feb 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, evolution works on "good enough". "Perfect" is too limited to one specific niche and takes too much energy to develop. Our eyes work good enough for the purpose that they are used for. That being said our eyes still work better than cephalopod eyes. If ours had their internal structure they could be even sharper than Chuck Yeager's.
Yes, our relatively poor eyesight is such a blessing <eyeroll>!
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#120524 Feb 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt if you could teach one. You clearly are lacking in intelligence. In Rusty's world ice does not float. Force does not equal mass times acceleration. All sorts of insanity occurs there.
The only thing that matters is that I believe in God...
HTS

Mandan, ND

#120525 Feb 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
HTS, at least 35 dinosaurs have been found to have feathers. Some feathers have even been preserved om amber. If there was only one case you might have a point. But not at least thirtyfive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feathered_dinosa...
Do you have a high resolution photo?
HTS

Mandan, ND

#120526 Feb 27, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
The myostatin gene was mutated, it is now a new myostatin gene that produces a faster and or more muscular dog. That is genetic information the other dogs don't have. Evolution is a fact. Deal with it!!
That is horizontal microevolution and is a non-issue. No one disputes microevolution.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#120527 Feb 27, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing that matters is that I believe in God...
Uh huh, you believe in an invisible friend. Well now ain't that impressive. Too bad your god does not believe in you.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#120528 Feb 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
SZ, Russell is obviously very intelligent. According to you, anyone who doesn't share your ridiculous religion of atheism is ignorant... And that must include Einstein, Newton, Kelvin, Pasteur, and many others.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#120529 Feb 27, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, our relatively poor eyesight is such a blessing <eyeroll>!
I see you are yet again introducing theology into what you consider to be science.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#120530 Feb 27, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Nano.
Long time no read.
Niceties aside, why it that a hoot?
Note that I did not give wicca practitioners a bump in credibility; I was simply differentiating wicca from "witchcraft". The former is a religious system and the later is a rather literal belief in spells, demons, etc.
So belief in the supernatural is acceptable just as long as it's not in the Abrahamic god? Where the fuck do you think the so-called "power" to practice/cast spells is supposed to come from if not a supernatural entity? Wicca, by it's very nature...relying on belief in a "boon" granting entity, is not really any different than any other religion where a god is expected to show favor to it's followers.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#120531 Feb 27, 2013
"its" :p

Level 9

Everett, WA

#120532 Feb 27, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>SZ, Russell is obviously very intelligent. According to you, anyone who doesn't share your ridiculous religion of atheism is ignorant... And that must include Einstein, Newton, Kelvin, Pasteur, and many others.
No, Rusty is an idiot because he argues like an idiot. He might be intelligent but his faith has made a fool out of him.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#120533 Feb 27, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have a high resolution photo?
Not right now. I will look since you obviously can't.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#120534 Feb 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Cephalopod eyes only look quite similar to human eyes. That is because the job they do is quite similar. Genetically they are very and even their interior structure quite different from ours.
Add convergent evolution to the science that HTS does not understand.
The attachment of a label doesn't remove barriers to evolution. Convergence is completely inconsistent with the random outcomes that you keep saying direct evolutionary processes...unless you believe in miracles.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#120535 Feb 27, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>The attachment of a label doesn't remove barriers to evolution. Convergence is completely inconsistent with the random outcomes that you keep saying direct evolutionary processes...unless you believe in miracles.
How many times do you have to be told that convergent evolution only means the outside looks similar to other species. The DNA will still be massively different. Convergent evolution is not the creatard's friend.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#120536 Feb 27, 2013
One more time HTS, cephalopod eye and human eyes only look similar. They work very differently. The DNA is totally different. The similar task of seeing cause a similar result. It does not result in similar DNA. All eyes will have some similarities since they are dong the same job. Convergent evolution does not negate the billions of pathway restriction of reversing evolution, if anything it confirms it.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#120537 Feb 27, 2013
Here is a link to an excellent non-avian dinosaur with clear feather impressions:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min Dogen 95,420
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 23 min 15th Dalai Lama 170,121
Are Asians/whites more evolved? (Sep '07) 54 min 15th Dalai Lama 1,880
Beauty is the Lord's Golden Section 4 hr 15th Dalai Lama 27
Souls have weight .. 21 grams Experiment 7 hr Simon 20
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) 22 hr Dogen 116
SEX did not EVOLVE (Nov '17) 22 hr Dogen 268