Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180369 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#119625 Feb 24, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>According to your religion, there's nothing wrong with being a child molester. It's a matter of genetics and environment...two factors of which no one has any control.... Unless you can explain how the study of evolution leads to condemnation of such a practice...
Evolution is neither a religion nor a philosophy, it doesn't tell anyone to do anything, unlike your sick Jesus Freak religion, which is by far the most bloodthirsty, evil religion of human history. Covered with blood are you Christians' hands.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#119626 Feb 24, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, that would be your religion. There is no record of any atheist going out of his way to hide the child molestation by another atheist.
You cannot say the same as a Christian.
Too bad you don't understand the simple concept of right and wrong and have to rely on a book written by camel humpers for your barbaric thoughts of which is which.
You cannot give me a definition of right and wrong, so why do you speak of such concepts as if they are absolute entities?
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#119627 Feb 24, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>What evidence would convince you of the existence of God?
What a STUPID question.

Present your evidence, 100% empirical, of the existence of your sick, psycho torturer God. Otherwise, shut the hell up, third rate moron.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#119628 Feb 24, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You cannot give me a definition of right and wrong,
Neither can you -- at least not one that is "absolute." You can not even define what that MEANS without being exposed for a fool.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#119629 Feb 24, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You cannot give me a definition of right and wrong, so why do you speak of such concepts as if they are absolute entities?
Right and wrong is a very complex issue.

If you want to look at it simply your rights end where another person's rights begin. It is an issue that no group agrees with another group on, even when it comes to different Christians upon what is right or wrong on details.

The point is that a reference to an invisible friend is not necessary to know one from another.
Russell

Australia

#119630 Feb 24, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, bi-polar cocksvcker for Jesus.
Nothing you say after an opening like that really matters.

Its impossible to take you seriously

I can't in good faith debate with someone who is clearly mentally disturbed

May God bless you and heal whatever it is that ails you

Fairfield, IA

#119631 Feb 24, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Gillette, the recycled molecular homology argument is worthless. ERV's in particular is a failed argument because of their functionality. Why do you insist on clinging to the ridiculous story that an ancient virus randomly inserted DNA into a host only to provie vital functionality to that host? If that's all the evidence you have for ape-human evolution, you have nothing.
Doesn't matter what their current function IS or IS NOT. That's a lying Jesus Freak SMOKESCREEN.

It's the POSITION of the marker in the 3 billion pair genome.

That's what "orthologous" MEANS.

There is no other explanation that makes any sense -- EXCEPT COMMON DESCENT -- for the fact that humans and other members of the ape family share HUNDREDS of different ERV markers in EXACTLY THE SAME PLACES in the 3 billion pair genome.
One way or another

United States

#119632 Feb 24, 2013
The Evo children sink to the lowest depths of depravity when anyone points out how the do it to themselves, but what can we expect from the American school system.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#119633 Feb 24, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I object to being characterized as a child molester.
Don't worry. You're not a TRUE Christian. Only TRUE Christians are child molesting liars.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#119634 Feb 24, 2013
Oh no, more evidence that Rusty is right:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Intelligen...

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#119635 Feb 24, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You cannot give me a definition of right and wrong, so why do you speak of such concepts as if they are absolute entities?
You can't give us a definition of right and wrong without resorting to authoritarian fiat. How is authoritarian fiat an objective method of determining morality?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#119636 Feb 24, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>What evidence would convince you of the existence of God?
ANY would be a good place to start.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#119637 Feb 24, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
What a STUPID question.
Present your evidence, 100% empirical, of the existence of your sick, psycho torturer God. Otherwise, shut the hell up, third rate moron.
I understand... Nothing would convince you.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#119638 Feb 24, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't matter what their current function IS or IS NOT. That's a lying Jesus Freak SMOKESCREEN.
It's the POSITION of the marker in the 3 billion pair genome.
That's what "orthologous" MEANS.
There is no other explanation that makes any sense -- EXCEPT COMMON DESCENT -- for the fact that humans and other members of the ape family share HUNDREDS of different ERV markers in EXACTLY THE SAME PLACES in the 3 billion pair genome.
It doesn't make sense only to the perverse mind of an atheist who has restricted his worldview to absolute materialism.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#119639 Feb 24, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Space is not a vacuum.
Science claims space is a vacuum
New science by Jim Ryan
The speed of light test done in a vacuum over 20 miles is total BS, because man can achieve a totally closed and complete vacuum, while space cannot. It has trillions of tons of dust, if you believe in star nurseries, as science claims, coupled with billions of miles of gas clouds, trillions of tons of plasma, from the billions of suns and their ejections, trillions of tons of cosmic rays that all tend to divert and break up light, from as close as the moon, as science proves.
There is no vacuum in space, the kind that man can bring about on earth, ENTIRELY DEVOID of matter, because that is the only way that test could show light traveling at 186,00 miles per Test/ speed of light theory
More new science by Jim Ryan
If science really wanted to test speed of light theory, science could add a simple laser light to any of its probes and when the probe got say a million miles away from earth, it could send its laser light back to earth, one aimed at American collectors one at Russian collectors and one at another countries collectors, unless science is afraid to know the truth.
How is it that not one scientist in the whole world thought of such already? Are they all morons or does science just not want to know?
Trillions of tons of matter is all through out space, according to science.
How is it scientists are too stupid to understand that there is no vacuum in space?
vacuum[ vak-yoom,-yoo-uh&#8201;m,- yuh&#8201;m ]
noun
1. a space entirely devoid of matter.
2. an enclosed space from which matter, especially air, has been partially removed so that the matter or gas remaining in the space exerts less pressure than the atmosphere (plenum).
3. the state or degree of exhaustion in such an enclosed space.
To have star nurseries,--plural, as science claims and it takes dust beyond measure almost, to create a star, never mind many stars in many nurseries, as science claims, science contradicts itself terribly, while all scientist must be stupid or stoned, not to point it out to science as a whole.
The following is for all you idiot scientists and the morons that believe you. Read the last line carefully.
MISSING DARK MATTER LOCATED - INTER-GALACTIC SPACE IS FILLED WITH DARK MATTER
On many science web sites, science claims there is almost no matter in space. Science lies constantly
Researchers at IPMU and Nagoya University used large-scale computer simulations and recent observational data of gravitational lensing to reveal how dark matter is distributed around galaxies.
Galaxies have no definite "edges", the new research concludes. Instead galaxies have long outskirts of dark matter that extend to their nearby galaxies; the inter-galactic space is not empty but filled with dark matter.
http://www.ipmu.jp/node/1222
Ooooooooooo, dark BS is more like it.
Still waiting for you to posit something scientific.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#119640 Feb 24, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, that would be your religion. There is no record of any atheist going out of his way to hide the child molestation by another atheist.
You cannot say the same as a Christian.
Too bad you don't understand the simple concept of right and wrong and have to rely on a book written by camel humpers for your barbaric thoughts of which is which.
If you're going to start referencing the standard bearers for atheistic evolution, you can begin with Stalin, Mussolini, Mao Zedong, PolPot, and Lenin, and consider the 200 million murders that were committed in the name of atheism.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#119641 Feb 24, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>I understand... Nothing would convince you.
Yes, you won't be able to convince everyone.

Look at what we face. Russell claims every scientist after and including Newton was wrong. Nothing will convince him. He knows how ridiculous his claims are, that is why he tries to hide them.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#119642 Feb 24, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
ANY would be a good place to start.
I'm not taking the bait. Answer the question.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#119643 Feb 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are going to have a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooong wait.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#119644 Feb 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
He doesn't blindly copy and paste like the DarwinBots on this thread.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min 15th Dalai Lama 83,930
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 20 min 15th Dalai Lama 3,284
No Evidence for Creation, a Global Flood, Tower... 32 min 15th Dalai Lama 44
Time 2 hr Beagle 3
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 4 hr Genesis Enigma 164,943
Ten Reason Why Evolution Is a Lie (Jul '09) Wed MIDutch 1,996
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) Tue Regolith Based Li... 223,191
More from around the web