Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180376 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

HTS

Mandan, ND

#119340 Feb 23, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
So matter does not even have to be alive to be complex.
Interesting.
example?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#119341 Feb 23, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Your evolutionary paradigm in contradicted by scientific observation. For example, the proposed evolution of eyes of humans and cephalopods took basically the same course, requiring specific mutations. The proposal that evolution randomly takes any number of pathways is refuted by the observation of convergence.
The presumed power of natural selection that you elude to is imaginary... It has never been observed.

Please check your sources with real science references.

I am embarrassed for you.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#119342 Feb 23, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>example?

Its your little tail, I though would want to finish it.

How about some of the things that are neither dead or alive.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#119343 Feb 23, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Dead wrong... Go back to physics 101.

I never took first year physics. I tested out of it.

But my statement is exactly correct. If it was not you could have disputed what I got wrong. But that didn't happen. All I got was an assertion.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#119344 Feb 23, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I never took first year physics. I tested out of it.
But my statement is exactly correct. If it was not you could have disputed what I got wrong. But that didn't happen. All I got was an assertion.
entropy is not just energy... It involves concepts of order
HTS

Mandan, ND

#119345 Feb 23, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Its your little tail, I though would want to finish it.
How about some of the things that are neither dead or alive.
I have no idea what you're talking about.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#119346 Feb 23, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Please check your sources with real science references.
I am embarrassed for you.
I don't need to blindly post a link. I'm using scientific logic and you are refusing to address it.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#119347 Feb 23, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>I don't need to blindly post a link. I'm using scientific logic and you are refusing to address it.
Please HTS, you are not fooling anyone with that nonsense. Everyone knows that you know nothing of science.

When you lie you make the wittle baby Jebus cwy.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#119348 Feb 23, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>I don't need to blindly post a link. I'm using scientific logic and you are refusing to address it.
No you aren't. You clearly have no idea how science is done, what the scientific method is, even the incredibly simple idea of scientific evidence is beyond your ability to understand.
Russell

Canberra, Australia

#119349 Feb 23, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a math exercise dummy, it's about the numbers. And you probably would achieve 250 heads in a row using those parameters.
Now just imagine the number of atoms in an ocean combining only within the parameters of natural law and the odds of coming up with a sequence of amino acids that qualify as life .... at least reproductive virus like life. That is mathematically plausible. AND given that we are here now, that event is in the past, then the odds become certainty.
Yes, in Dream World where spontaneous condensation of amino acids IS possible in the presence of water...
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, 10^80 is the number of atoms in the visible universe, but we now know that 90% of the milky way alone is not visible to us.
Try to keep up, M'kay?
Ah....

Dark matter....

The SECOND tooth fairy in the evo-assumptions that the universe self-created

All hypothetical of course..

What is dark matter Oogah boogah?
Russell

Canberra, Australia

#119350 Feb 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Please HTS, you are not fooling anyone with that nonsense. Everyone knows that you know nothing of science.
When you lie you make the wittle baby Jebus cwy.
Why would lying be a problem in YOUR world view?
You have no objective basis for morality
Russell

Canberra, Australia

#119351 Feb 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No you aren't. You clearly have no idea how science is done, what the scientific method is, even the incredibly simple idea of scientific evidence is beyond your ability to understand.
Here we go....tech school science/geog teacher wanting to do what he does....teach...anybody... willing or unwilling...and
Most especially ANYONE that seems smarter than him...

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#119352 Feb 23, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Your evolutionary paradigm in contradicted by scientific observation. For example, the proposed evolution of eyes of humans and cephalopods took basically the same course, requiring specific mutations. The proposal that evolution randomly takes any number of pathways is refuted by the observation of convergence.
The presumed power of natural selection that you elude to is imaginary... It has never been observed.
So you would say that someone born with a severe heart defect would have about the same probability of surviving as someone with a normal heart, yes?

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#119353 Feb 23, 2013
HTS wrote:
Jesus was a slaver...

Level 9

Everett, WA

#119355 Feb 23, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Here we go....tech school science/geog teacher wanting to do what he does....teach...anybody... willing or unwilling...and
Most especially ANYONE that seems smarter than him...
Sorry, but no creatard here seems smarter than me. I would have to be dead for at least half an hour before anyone of you could claim that.

But you do make me laugh. HTS actually showed a flash of promise. You are merely an object of ridicule.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#119356 Feb 23, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because you're an idiot.
Lenski's antibiotic claim.
Original work
By Jim Ryan
Supported by evidence
Lenski and or lederberg should have had the sense to reversed the experiment, to show that when 10 million antibiotic resistantt bacteria were cultured, they produced one that was non antibiotic resistant. One or both should have cultured 10 million bacteria that were non resistant, to see if an antibiotic resistant bacteria developed.
Bacteria may develop both every 10 millionth one as a memory device. If so, that should tell science quite a lot.
Still waiting for you to posit something scientific.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#119357 Feb 23, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, in Dream World where spontaneous condensation of amino acids IS possible in the presence of water...
Um, that is possible, and happens a lot. I think you need to learn what amino acids are.
Kishore

Chennai, India

#119358 Feb 24, 2013
Tddoff wrote:
Only if it is explained that evolution is nothing more than one theory with very little evidence and that intelligent design also should be taught as another possibility. Otherwise if not, evolution should be removed from the schools.
Intelligent design!!!!? ROTFLAO!!!

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#119360 Feb 24, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
How are you going with your study of the recurrent laryngeal nerve?
Just remind us why it makes more sense to connect the brain to the larynx, a mere three inches apart, via a nerve that stretches fifteen feet. I'm not questioning how far it has to reach to get to the heart/lungs. I'm questioning how far it has to reach to get to the larynx. Is fifteen feet of nerve to connect the brain to the larynx more or less intelligent than three inches of nerve?

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#119361 Feb 24, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>entropy is not just energy... It involves concepts of order
WRONG. It's people who don't understand what entropy is who need the word "order" or "disorder" to define entropy.

If I have a bottle half-filled with water, and half-filled with oil, and they're in two distinct layers, and I then shake the bottle, thereby turning the oil into little beads suspended in the water, was there greater entropy before I shook it or after I shook it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 1 hr 15th Dalai Lama 1,416
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 4 hr Genesis Enigma 163,074
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 hr Aura Mytha 222,270
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 20 hr Regolith Based Li... 32,461
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Mon Dogen 78,757
Mathematicians PROVED evolution IMPOSSIBLE! Aug 19 Science 814
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web