Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
116,101 - 116,120 of 171,383 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>

[crickets chirping in February]
Its called tinnitus

Get it checked
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Russell wrote:
This guy reminds me of the Dude
Slippery
Snake
Dawkins, 2009: on “junkDNA”
“it’s full of junk, which is just as Darwinism predicted… how embarrassing for those creationists who say it shouldn’t be!”
Dawkins, 2012: on non-junkDNA…
“it’s not full of junk, which is just as Darwinism predicted… nothing for the creationists to take advantage of here, move along!”
Richard Dawkins ENCODE 2013 “Junk DNA”
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Amen, just as the gov teaches through the schools and the cliques, created by the schools. Ignorance for the sake of a fully corrupt gov and their proxies.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
No I think Dogem is a better representation of you
Your evidence falsifies the Bible
More like dodger. Someone else have him that name, even though the entire clique copy dodging--101.

Many children have nothing else.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Where has DNA occurred “naturally” in a cell?
It's in this place called the nucleus of the cell.

I see Rusty failed even grade school biology.

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Russell wrote:
This guy reminds me of the Dude
Slippery
Snake
Dawkins, 2009: on “junkDNA”
“it’s full of junk, which is just as Darwinism predicted… how embarrassing for those creationists who say it shouldn’t be!”
Dawkins, 2012: on non-junkDNA…
“it’s not full of junk, which is just as Darwinism predicted… nothing for the creationists to take advantage of here, move along!”
Richard Dawkins ENCODE 2013 “Junk DNA”
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Funny that the first two statements have quotation marks even though they are not quotations. Are you just making things up again?

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
No of course I don't understand plain English
I know, you are an Aussie. That is no excuse if you want to participate in a debate. Other Aussie's have overcome this inability, why can't you?
<quoted text>
You wish
Dream on, Bud
This is all you have
Argumentum ad hominem
Wrong again. You made statements in the past that indicated you reject even Newtonian mechanics. When I challenged you on that statement you avoided repeating it.
<quoted text>
What insults?
Are you mistaking me for someone else?
You have been known to make some rather....shall we say...."strange" remarks when you're off your evo-goblin face
You try to insult people constantly since you have no science to back up your idiocy. Me, I have been extremely patient when you consider the lying fools that I am dealing with.
<quoted text>
You mean like the RLN being bad design?
The retina being wired backwards being bad design?
Fast and slow rabbits?
Whale evolution?
Archie?
Lenski's bacteria?
Junk DNA?
Haeckel's drawings?
Chimps and humans evolved from a common ancestor?
Mutations and the like dunnit over millions of years?
Transitional fossils?
This list goes on...and on.....and...on
Evo-tard "brilliance" in general...
<quoted text>
Says he from his ivory tower of oblivion driven by a frantic desire to remain champ of the chumps
....And the droning offers to teach....
Uggh!
Unfortunately for you all of these are either very strong evidence for evolution or topics that you do not understand.
For example let's take Haeckel's drawings. I gave you and your other creatard friend a simple challenge. That was to say what was wrong with Haeckel's drawings. All you idiots can do is to claim that they are "fraudulent" without saying that they are how the are fraudulent. That shows that you got this from a creatard site that did not know either.
What a gullible moron you are. You show it in each and every post.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Rusty, instead of spewing a series of lies, why don't you pick what you think is your one best point against evolution and try to defend it.

And if you want to talk about that myth you believe in, including the nonsense of a virgin birth we can discuss that next.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
The name is Dogen. It is a long O sound. Like Doe-gin or Doe-gen.
If that was the only thing wrong with your posts you would be doing well. However, I am the one that DOES have the evidence. It is evidence that:
Has been accumulated by MILLIONS of scientists.
Has withstood 150 years of the scientific method.
- It is observable
- It is testable
- It is falsifiable (but has never been falsified)
- It includes experiments and observations that are repeatable
- has repeated the experiments and observations.
- has been peer reviewed.
- has advanced science.
- has made predictions (which have been successful)
Has been observed in nature
Is based on over a BILLION fossils.
Is based on over 10 TRILLION pieces of data.
Has multiple lines of evidence from different fields of science (the holy grail of science)
The so-called "evidence" that you site is imaginary. You have nothing but propaganda.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Dealing with people that choose just one side like dems and repubs, destroys intelligence, as the Evo morons here do, but what can you expect from the school systems that must focus on money, to the detriment of the mind.

HTS and Russel and UC, for each of your own reasons, you have chosen to speak to the mind instead of the money. Not an easy road as you know.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The so-called "evidence" that you site is imaginary. You have nothing but propaganda.
Once again you show that you are a fool who does not understand evidence.

Of course there is safety for the creatard in ignorance. That may be the reason that they don't want to learn what constitutes evidence.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Your declarations are worthless. There is evidence of an intelligent force... The complexity of life. You can deny it all day... That doesn't erase anything. Science is not making unsubstantiated proclamations. It's providing evidence that can be validated by a skeptic. I am a skeptic. You have provide stories only. Your mountains of "evidence" is non-existent.
Complexity is a relative term. Gold has a very complex molecular structure. A million chimps throwing together various chemicals could never produce a gram of gold. So you would say that it must have been intelligently designed, correct?

However, given the right conditions, like with the chemistry of a supernova star, nature produces gold in abundance.

Could you tell us what exact conditions existed on earth 3.5 billion years ago and why those conditions could not have produced life?
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again you show that you are a fool who does not understand evidence.
Of course there is safety for the creatard in ignorance. That may be the reason that they don't want to learn what constitutes evidence.
Simple insults are empty. You cannot logically back up any of your claims. All are easily refuted by intelligent scientists. You haven't proven anything. You need to humbly acknowledge that your worldview is ultimately founded on atheism.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Complexity is a relative term. Gold has a very complex molecular structure. A million chimps throwing together various chemicals could never produce a gram of gold. So you would say that it must have been intelligently designed, correct?
However, given the right conditions, like with the chemistry of a supernova star, nature produces gold in abundance.
Could you tell us what exact conditions existed on earth 3.5 billion years ago and why those conditions could not have produced life?
Your analogy is asinine. Chimps cannot defy properties of matter.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
While that may be, he did not blaspheme Jesus. He, quite rightly, called you a liar for Jesus. That is not the same thing as insulting or blaspheming Jesus.
And considering your vast propensity for dishonesty, your accusation of shallowness is deliciously ironic.
Of course you are also assuming that there was a historical Jesus who actually existed. There are no contemporary historical records to support this, the first writings not occurring until six decades after his alleged death. Which is what would be expected if a bunch of guys got together and invented a new religion, just as you claim happened with every other religion.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Evidence_for_the...
Mithra would be a good starting point to begin to understand the Jesus legend.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Simple insults are empty. You cannot logically back up any of your claims. All are easily refuted by intelligent scientists. You haven't proven anything. You need to humbly acknowledge that your worldview is ultimately founded on atheism.
It is not an empty insult. I have offered you more than once to help you to learn what is and what is not evidence. And yes, I can back up all of my claims, you have shown numerous times that you will lie if I do back up my claims.

And how can a world view be based upon atheism? Atheism is an act of not believing in something. It is like telling someone who does not play baseball that there worldview is based upon not playing baseball. It is a ridiculous claim on the face of it. It seems you don't understand atheism either.

So, again, a simple challenge. Learn what evidence is so I cannot keep calling you ignorant about evidence.

Does that seem too difficult for you or do you like people pointing out that you are an ignorant idiot?
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not an empty insult. I have offered you more than once to help you to learn what is and what is not evidence. And yes, I can back up all of my claims, you have shown numerous times that you will lie if I do back up my claims.
And how can a world view be based upon atheism? Atheism is an act of not believing in something. It is like telling someone who does not play baseball that there worldview is based upon not playing baseball. It is a ridiculous claim on the face of it. It seems you don't understand atheism either.
So, again, a simple challenge. Learn what evidence is so I cannot keep calling you ignorant about evidence.
Does that seem too difficult for you or do you like people pointing out that you are an ignorant idiot?
Your last line is very funny, coming from a moron like yourself. Lol
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Mithra would be a good starting point to begin to understand the Jesus legend.
Coming from a deceitful moron like yourself, that cannot prove or disprove anything about Jesus, is right in line with your Evo mythology.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Your analogy is asinine. Chimps cannot defy properties of matter.
----------

But you dodge the question, how could something "complex" happen in nature. Come on. Give it a shot. You can't do any worse than you've already done.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>The recycled "imperfections of nature" argument has been soundly debunked. Why do you keep bringing it up when it is nothing more than an extension of the religion of atheism?
This was your response to:
Chimney1 wrote:
Yes I am "parroting" the known fact that 70% of the cyt-c protein can be altered almost limitlessly without it affecting function. That human cyt-c can be inserted into yeast and carry out its function just fine there.
That cyt-c conforms to the same nested hierarchy of variation across the living kingdoms that we also see duplicated in the fossil record independently."
Clearly, you have not even understood my post, or cannot refute it, because your response does not even address the issue raised. Its not even about "imperfections of nature". Its almost the opposite - that an extremely wide range of cyt-c variants are equally viable and effective. No, not "perfect", but then the idea of perfection is a value judgement and a meaningless standard.

Life and evolution is not about perfection. Its about adaptability and resilience and solutions that work. Just like...

democracy is the worst form of government except for all the others...

...and capitalism is the worst form of economic organisation except for all the others.

...and rational empirical science may never give us the IDEAL TRUTH but it delivers actual, usable, amazing truths every day...

What do evolved life, democratic government, rational empiricism and capitalism have in common? They are about effectiveness, not perfection. They are distributed and bottom-up systems of organisation, not top-down. They are pragmatic, not ideal. Nobody really knows what is going to happen next, and nobody (except phonies like you) pretend to.

Get real. Evolution with its blind trial and error is the worst possible system for creating the fantastically diverse and resilient thing called life...except for all the others.

And that has nothing to do with atheism. Stop confusing your Cultist adulation of phony old scripts with the actual possibility that there is a God. They are not the same thing at all.
HTS

Williston, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
This was your response to:
<quoted text>
Clearly, you have not even understood my post, or cannot refute it, because your response does not even address the issue raised. Its not even about "imperfections of nature". Its almost the opposite - that an extremely wide range of cyt-c variants are equally viable and effective. No, not "perfect", but then the idea of perfection is a value judgement and a meaningless standard.
Life and evolution is not about perfection. Its about adaptability and resilience and solutions that work. Just like...
democracy is the worst form of government except for all the others...
...and capitalism is the worst form of economic organisation except for all the others.
...and rational empirical science may never give us the IDEAL TRUTH but it delivers actual, usable, amazing truths every day...
What do evolved life, democratic government, rational empiricism and capitalism have in common? They are about effectiveness, not perfection. They are distributed and bottom-up systems of organisation, not top-down. They are pragmatic, not ideal. Nobody really knows what is going to happen next, and nobody (except phonies like you) pretend to.
Get real. Evolution with its blind trial and error is the worst possible system for creating the fantastically diverse and resilient thing called life...except for all the others.
And that has nothing to do with atheism. Stop confusing your Cultist adulation of phony old scripts with the actual possibility that there is a God. They are not the same thing at all.
Your paradigm relies on the unfounded belief that infinitely large numbers of possible pathways to functionality exist. What is your scientific evidence for that assumption?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

24 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Modern YEC is Not An Aberration of Traditional ... 3 min MikeF 129
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 5 min KAB 134,113
British Ban Teaching Creationism As Science, Sh... 11 min In Six Days 142
Big Bang? 25 min In Six Days 152
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 49 min Bill 112,810
When Will Evolutionists Confess Their Atheistic... 2 hr DanFromSmithville 1,712
The Universe is fine-tuned for life 4 hr polymath257 38
•••
•••