Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 5,796)

Showing posts 115,901 - 115,920 of168,476
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You are profoundly dishonest. You have categorically excluded all quotes I presesnt by accusing me of "quote mining". Likewise, all scientific references I post are not considered because you believe I got them off of creationist websites. You constantly introduce irrelevant distractions such as Collins being a Christian. It is obvious that you have no regard for scientific principles whatsoever, but try to justify your worldview by what you naively consider "science" which in reality is hand selected propaganda.
You really need to learn what quote mining is.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Critical mistakes sometimes do add up in individuals. Those individuals are eliminated from the genome by natural selection. Only "good enough" passes muster.
You're an idiot as usual. The project purposely uses diseased people as well.

The project has been taken over by evolutionists. We can expect far less to come from the project now.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Extinction happens. There are more dead ends in genomes than living forms.
Do show us the proof.
HTS

Sidney, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Blue eues.
You asked.(shrug)
In the first place, you haven't demonstrated how the first blue eyes came into existence. Secondly, blue eyes are no more complex than any other color. If that's the best you can come up with to prove than man evolved from a microbe, you don't have anything. Variation of eye color is determined by three different alleles in humans. Selection of pre-existing traits has nothing to do with evolution.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Where's my sweetener?
Harsh but true, no sweetener for you.

Gosh, now I'm a poet.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Do show us the proof.
Well, considering how many species we have seen go extinct over the last 100 years, there is plenty of evidence of that.
HTS

Sidney, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct, we've never shown you single examples because we've provided many. You can't even address them and dismiss anything which conflicts with your religion.
<quoted text>
Then you claim that none of these would be evidence of violation of observed nested hierarchies? How you figure?
Prove that nested hierarchies are predicted by evolution. Prove that nested hierarchies are not predicted by intelligent design.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Prove that nested hierarchies are predicted by evolution. Prove that nested hierarchies are not predicted by intelligent design.
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/tj/v...
Denying nested hierarchies right there.
Elohim

Branford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Prove that nested hierarchies are predicted by evolution. Prove that nested hierarchies are not predicted by intelligent design.
Intelligent design is religious dogma masquerading as pseudo-science.
HTS

Sidney, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, considering how many species we have seen go extinct over the last 100 years, there is plenty of evidence of that.
Extinction does not prove eolution.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Extinction does not prove eolution.
No, but DNA, nested hierarchies, ERV's, the fossil record, and thousand of other pieces of evidence do.

Meanwhile you have no evidence at all for your claims.

Even a little evidence beats no evidence.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mind is so shallow, it would only confuse you, if I explained what the reasons for extinction are from the past 100 years.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

Google it moron.

Extinct Animals in The Last 100 Years
A glance at the list of extinct animals in the last 100 years is bound to leave you spell bound. The list features some of the prominent species, including the Barbary lion and the Western Black rhinoceros. More importantly, studies have revealed that approximately a quarter of animal species will be wiped off the planet owing to human induced climate change.

However, man cannot prove climate change is not natural. Cap and trade.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>In the first place, you haven't demonstrated how the first blue eyes came into existence. Secondly, blue eyes are no more complex than any other color. If that's the best you can come up with to prove than man evolved from a microbe, you don't have anything. Variation of eye color is determined by three different alleles in humans. Selection of pre-existing traits has nothing to do with evolution.
Blue eyes are less "complex" than other eye colors. Of course you have not properly defined "complex" yet.
Mugwump

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Can't prove outright anything in science - but can formulate theories based on known facts that are overwhelmingly the most likely explanation.

But let me guess, for you

AGW = conspiracy to get taxes

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

More importantly, studies have revealed that approximately a quarter of animal species will be wiped off the planet owing to human induced climate change.
Man-made or not, extinction due to an organism's inability to adapt to changing environmental conditions (i.e., climate) is a factor of Natural Selection and the Theory of Evolution.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't prove outright anything in science - but can formulate theories based on known facts that are overwhelmingly the most likely explanation.
But let me guess, for you
AGW = conspiracy to get taxes
Do tell how the gov is going to sequester all the automotive co2.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Man-made or not, extinction due to an organism's inability to adapt to changing environmental conditions (i.e., climate) is a factor of Natural Selection and the Theory of Evolution.
Do tell us about natural selection in this context.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell us about all the fertilizers bleaching most of the worlds coral, while the gov and media morons blame it on hotter weather.

Think before you answer, because the proof is out there.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

As a fisherman back in the late 70's, my buddy Mike and I would fish at night many times. We could see the fish glow in the water, at least their outline.

Do you know what that was from?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 115,901 - 115,920 of168,476
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••