Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
115,881 - 115,900 of 172,496 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#118970 Feb 22, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You linked me to an article that says 20% is functional. Why did you ignore the article that claimed 80% is functional?
In reference to the collapse of the junk DNA paradigm, Evolutionist Dr. John Mattick, director for the Institute of Molecular Bioscience (Queensland, Australia), wrote,
"The failure to recognize the full implications of this--particularly the possibility that the intervening noncoding sequences may be transmitting parallel information... may well go down as one of the biggest mistakes in the history of molecular biology."
Mattick, J. Cited in: Gibs, W.W., "The Unseen Genome: Gems Among the Junk", Scientific American, 289 (5): 26-33, November, 2003; pp.29-30
*In 2010, Famed geneticist Dr. Francis Collins, director of NIH, wrote:
"Discoveries of the past decade, little known to most of the public, have completely overturned much of what used to be taught in high school biology. If you thought the DNA molecule comprised thousands of genes but far more 'junk  DNA,' think again"
*Collins, Francis S., The Language of Life: DNA and the Revolution in Personalized Medicine,, pp. 5–6
My beliefs have not been falsified. You don't even know what they are.
Quoting evolutionary biologists who disagree with you is dishonest. By the way, Collins is a Christian.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#118971 Feb 22, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Shapiro....James...not Robert...has said the genome is likely 100% functional
He is an evolutionary geneticist
I have posted about this last night in my comments to Chimney
Then this does not support your claims that evolution is false and it is dishonest of you to claim otherwise. Of course you are unable to reference him anyway since you don't even believe in the scientific method he uses in the first place. Thanks again for another find demonstration of your hypocrisy.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#118972 Feb 22, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Blue eues.
You asked.(shrug)
Excellent.

Did you watch Meet the Izzards by any chance?

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#118973 Feb 22, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I kind of screwed up the joke.
I **SHOULD** have said an ITALIAN suppository.
That's a good thing you screwed it up. I woulda had to take an extra heart pill.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#118974 Feb 22, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Like it or not, the primary evidences presented in defense of evolution are ultimately attempted disproofs of God.
You seem stuck on this. So OK, for your purposes, you should consider the probability that because chance mutation is a primary ingredient in the fate of all living beings, along with natural selection, life is subject to genetics and environmental factors, therefore evolution might indicate that no God exists. Bummer, right?

You appear to be a boarderline agnostic, hanging on to one last stubborn thread of fundieism. You are smart enough to understand the implications of evolution, so you can't bring yourself to test your beliefs against the actual theory of evolution. Your hope against unbelievable hope is that your strawman vision of evolution is really all there is to it.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#118975 Feb 22, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>So your entire paradigm rests on the hope that most of DNA is useless, despite the fact that many geneticists believe that 100% of the human genome is functional. At what point will you be convinced of the fallacy of evolution?
30% functionality? 50%? 90%?
You have not documented how to determine a neutral mutation. Speculation is not science. I realize that it can't be measured as deleterious. How do you know that after many generations the mistakes will add up? What principle of mathematics are you relying on to suggest that large numbers of mistakes in replication can add up to something beneficial?
Critical mistakes sometimes do add up in individuals. Those individuals are eliminated from the genome by natural selection. Only "good enough" passes muster.
HTS

Sidney, MT

#118976 Feb 22, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Quoting evolutionary biologists who disagree with you is dishonest. By the way, Collins is a Christian.
You are profoundly dishonest. You have categorically excluded all quotes I presesnt by accusing me of "quote mining". Likewise, all scientific references I post are not considered because you believe I got them off of creationist websites. You constantly introduce irrelevant distractions such as Collins being a Christian. It is obvious that you have no regard for scientific principles whatsoever, but try to justify your worldview by what you naively consider "science" which in reality is hand selected propaganda.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#118977 Feb 22, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>The imperfections argument is founded on religious beliefs and is therefore invalid in a scientific discussion. You cannot assume any attributes of an intelligent designer or how a creative process would have been conducted, because the process is unknown.
I agree with you that a God could have used evolution. If that were true, the fundamental assumption of Darwinism (ie, no intelligent design exists) would be refuted. Also, I see no evidence of gradualistic evolution in the fossil record. If evolution produced the 7-10 million species of life on earth, billions of transitional forms should exist in the fossil record, not one or two debatable, subjectively evaluated examples. Why is it that there are over 1,000 fossils of flying reptiles, all fully capable of powered flight, spanning a geologic time period of 160 million years... and no transitional forms are identified?
Extinction happens. There are more dead ends in genomes than living forms.
HTS

Sidney, MT

#118978 Feb 22, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem stuck on this. So OK, for your purposes, you should consider the probability that because chance mutation is a primary ingredient in the fate of all living beings, along with natural selection, life is subject to genetics and environmental factors, therefore evolution might indicate that no God exists. Bummer, right?
You appear to be a boarderline agnostic, hanging on to one last stubborn thread of fundieism. You are smart enough to understand the implications of evolution, so you can't bring yourself to test your beliefs against the actual theory of evolution. Your hope against unbelievable hope is that your strawman vision of evolution is really all there is to it.
No honest scientist who objectively looked at the facts could possibly believe in molecules-to-man evolution.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#118979 Feb 22, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You are profoundly dishonest. You have categorically excluded all quotes I presesnt by accusing me of "quote mining". Likewise, all scientific references I post are not considered because you believe I got them off of creationist websites. You constantly introduce irrelevant distractions such as Collins being a Christian. It is obvious that you have no regard for scientific principles whatsoever, but try to justify your worldview by what you naively consider "science" which in reality is hand selected propaganda.
You really need to learn what quote mining is.
One way or another

United States

#118980 Feb 22, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Critical mistakes sometimes do add up in individuals. Those individuals are eliminated from the genome by natural selection. Only "good enough" passes muster.
You're an idiot as usual. The project purposely uses diseased people as well.

The project has been taken over by evolutionists. We can expect far less to come from the project now.
One way or another

United States

#118981 Feb 22, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Extinction happens. There are more dead ends in genomes than living forms.
Do show us the proof.
HTS

Sidney, MT

#118982 Feb 22, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Blue eues.
You asked.(shrug)
In the first place, you haven't demonstrated how the first blue eyes came into existence. Secondly, blue eyes are no more complex than any other color. If that's the best you can come up with to prove than man evolved from a microbe, you don't have anything. Variation of eye color is determined by three different alleles in humans. Selection of pre-existing traits has nothing to do with evolution.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#118983 Feb 22, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Where's my sweetener?
Harsh but true, no sweetener for you.

Gosh, now I'm a poet.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#118984 Feb 22, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Do show us the proof.
Well, considering how many species we have seen go extinct over the last 100 years, there is plenty of evidence of that.
HTS

Sidney, MT

#118985 Feb 22, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct, we've never shown you single examples because we've provided many. You can't even address them and dismiss anything which conflicts with your religion.
<quoted text>
Then you claim that none of these would be evidence of violation of observed nested hierarchies? How you figure?
Prove that nested hierarchies are predicted by evolution. Prove that nested hierarchies are not predicted by intelligent design.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#118986 Feb 22, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Prove that nested hierarchies are predicted by evolution. Prove that nested hierarchies are not predicted by intelligent design.
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/tj/v...
Denying nested hierarchies right there.
Elohim

Branford, CT

#118988 Feb 22, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Prove that nested hierarchies are predicted by evolution. Prove that nested hierarchies are not predicted by intelligent design.
Intelligent design is religious dogma masquerading as pseudo-science.
HTS

Sidney, MT

#118989 Feb 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, considering how many species we have seen go extinct over the last 100 years, there is plenty of evidence of that.
Extinction does not prove eolution.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#118990 Feb 22, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Extinction does not prove eolution.
No, but DNA, nested hierarchies, ERV's, the fossil record, and thousand of other pieces of evidence do.

Meanwhile you have no evidence at all for your claims.

Even a little evidence beats no evidence.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 7 min inbred Genius 115,047
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr Dogen 136,240
Genetic 'Adam' and 'Eve' Uncovered - live science (Sep '13) 7 hr susanblange 292
Science News (Sep '13) 9 hr positronium 2,848
Evolution Theory Facing Crisis 12 hr TedHOhio 165
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism Wed Zog Has-fallen 343
Natural Selection Not The Only Process That Dri... (Jan '14) Aug 25 reMAAT 20
When Will Evolutionists Confess Their Atheistic... (Feb '14) Aug 14 The Dude 1,831
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••