Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178616 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

One way or another

United States

#118585 Feb 21, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Anybody want to take a stab at how long it will be before Jimbozo learns what 'innuendo' actually means?
Do tell, you did say you went to dog college. Lol

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#118586 Feb 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Abiogenesis is critical to Darwinism, and hiding your head in the sand doesn't erase the problem. Magic poofing of life from non-life is all that can be hypothesized at this point.
If ToE does not address the origin of life, then tell me precisely at what point life begins. Was the precursor to single cell life "non-life". At what point does the ToE arbitrarily stop looking for answers, and why? Can you logically, in your own words, explain to me WHY abiogenesis is not part of ToE?
Any specific hypothesis of how life started is not critical to the ToE. We know that life somehow started. There are many hypothetical answers, but there's not enough information to form a reasonable theory. Fortunately, life does exist so we can bypass the question of how it happened until more information is available. What is your SCIENTIFIC theory?

There are several hypothetical answers concerning how the oceans formed. Some say that most of our water came from comets and astroids. Others say that it came from valcanos. There's no definitive answer, but we know the oceans do exist and make projections about what happens within that environment.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#118587 Feb 21, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Anybody want to take a stab at how long it will be before Jimbozo learns what 'innuendo' actually means?
....perhaps he thinks it's a suppository.
HTS

Williston, ND

#118588 Feb 21, 2013
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
Not trying to validate the Theory of Evolution. MILLIONS of scientists, technicians and students in THOUSANDS of museums, universities, research laboratories, excavation sites, research hospitals, observatories, etc. all around the world, over the past 200+ years have been doing a great job with that.
What I was doing was merely pointing out your LYING and hypocrisy.
You WERE the one who brought up "story telling" in one of your posts, were you not? All the while KNOWING that your whole world view is based on childishly ridiculous bronze age goat herder "story telling".
Predictably, you yet again feel a need to bring up religion to defend a flimsy hypothesis. Just because someone doubts that man evolved from a worm doesn't suggest that he's not a scientist. If you think all scientists agree on evolution you are incredibly naive.
MIDutch

Clinton Township, MI

#118589 Feb 21, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Then show us the names and testimonies of all these people. Lmao-- you morons believe anything.
No wonder, you attended the American school system, that dumbs down all the kids, so the gov can say anything and most of you believe it.
I'm glad I attended the American school that I did where I actually learned about science ... as opposed to the fundamentalist madras that you went to where you learned about magic, and talking animals, and angels having sex with women, and brothers having sex with their sisters, and fathers having sex with their daughters, and mothers having sex with their sons, and this naked chick possibly having sex with this "snake" (snicker).

No wonder you guys are so screwed up.
HTS

Williston, ND

#118590 Feb 21, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Chimney1 demonstrated more than once how Sanford was debunked.
And I see that you still don't understand science or genetics.
We don't need to prove that those mutations disappear. In fact hey don't. Bad mutations quickly die out. He did show that. The vast majority of mutations are benign, that has been shown. We don't see people walking around with 100 obvious mutations from their parents. Most of those mutations occurred in "junk DNA" or more properly non-coding DNA.
All we have to show is that bad mutations are not passed on, and he showed exactly that.
If you don't understand evolution, or biology, you cannot argue against it.
Sanford never made his case in the first place. I know you are religious so without any evidence at all, except for the writing of one weirdo would you believe in a Magic Teapot on the far side of the Moon? Of course not, so why should science believe the writing of one weirdo who did not provide any evidence that supports his claim? In fact all evidence out there says that his claims are wrong.
So Sanford never made his case other than to make a simple computer program that followed his rules, not nature's rules. He provided no evidence from the real world that showed his idea to be correct in fact all evidence from the real world debunked his hypothesis.
It is not up to us to demonstrate that all bad mutations die out, and they don't by the way, they don't build up as Sanford claimed. It is up to you to provide evidence that supports Sanford. Otherwise the little bit of work that has been done to debunk him stands.
A little bit of evidence beats no evidence. You have not evidence.
Your entire argument relies on the failed junk DNA paradigm. Also, you have offered no logical reason to assume that 100+ errors in nucleotide sequences are truly neutral. You've repeatedly dodged the question as to how the functionality of individual nucleotides is measured.
One way or another

United States

#118591 Feb 21, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on Mikey the moron, do show us what innuendo means.
HTS

Williston, ND

#118592 Feb 21, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Any specific hypothesis of how life started is not critical to the ToE. We know that life somehow started. There are many hypothetical answers, but there's not enough information to form a reasonable theory. Fortunately, life does exist so we can bypass the question of how it happened until more information is available. What is your SCIENTIFIC theory?
You can't assume that because life exists, it therefore evolved without intelligent design.
One way or another

United States

#118593 Feb 21, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Another man of science. Lol

Now this is what your group lives for, you finally get to talk.
MIDutch

Clinton Township, MI

#118594 Feb 21, 2013
<quoted text>
Do tell, you did say you went to dog college. Lol
As opposed to you, who went to cat piss school.

BTW you ever earn that 10 BILLION dollars you said you were going to? Or did the Jews in Washington, DC screw you over again?

Must be a bummer being so incompetent.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#118595 Feb 21, 2013
<quoted text>
Come on Mikey the moron, do show us what innuendo means.
Do your own homework, Ryan.
One way or another

United States

#118596 Feb 21, 2013
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad I attended the American school that I did where I actually learned about science ... as opposed to the fundamentalist madras that you went to where you learned about magic, and talking animals, and angels having sex with women, and brothers having sex with their sisters, and fathers having sex with their daughters, and mothers having sex with their sons, and this naked chick possibly having sex with this "snake" (snicker).
No wonder you guys are so screwed up.
There ya go, blaming religion for your stupidity.

The American education in action, according to idiots like you. Way ta show the world moron.
MIDutch

Clinton Township, MI

#118597 Feb 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Your entire argument relies on the failed junk DNA paradigm. Also, you have offered no logical reason to assume that 100+ errors in nucleotide sequences are truly neutral. You've repeatedly dodged the question as to how the functionality of individual nucleotides is measured.
Riiiiiight. That's why the Theory of Evolution went from being the ONLY world view allowed in most of the Western world (often enforced with imprisonment, torture, death and genocide) to being laughed at by pretty much everyone in the world.

Oh, wait. That would be YOU guys, wouldn't it?
MIDutch

Clinton Township, MI

#118598 Feb 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You can't assume that because life exists, it therefore evolved without intelligent design.
Well, since you have been an ABYSMAL FAILURE showing that an intelligent designer exists ...

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#118599 Feb 21, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
<coffee spew on screen> Darn.
One way or another

United States

#118600 Feb 21, 2013
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
As opposed to you, who went to cat piss school.
BTW you ever earn that 10 BILLION dollars you said you were going to? Or did the Jews in Washington, DC screw you over again?
Must be a bummer being so incompetent.
Boo hoo, I suppose being as dumb as you prove is reason for telling the world you're too stupid to discuss science, so you come here and act like a stupid child.

Wow, does that make you feel proud or what?
One way or another

United States

#118601 Feb 21, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Do your own homework, Ryan.
You made the claim Mikey the moron. Boo hoo, science is for adults and you're just too stupid to be able to join the conversation. Tell your my your diaper is full and that's why you're crying for attention. Quit bothering the adults.
HTS

Williston, ND

#118602 Feb 21, 2013
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, since you have been an ABYSMAL FAILURE showing that an intelligent designer exists ...
You can't prove evolution by your vain attempts at disproving God.
MIDutch

Clinton Township, MI

#118603 Feb 21, 2013
<quoted text>
Boo hoo, I suppose being as dumb as you prove is reason for telling the world you're too stupid to discuss science, so you come here and act like a stupid child.
Wow, does that make you feel proud or what?
I'm sure that everyone reading these threads can see for themselves which one of us the dumb and stupid one, Mr. UnemployedCatPeeGuy.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#118604 Feb 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You can't assume that because life exists, it therefore evolved without intelligent design.
Also, can't prove that invisible flying pink elephants with magic wands who just want to have fun don't control the universe. More information is needed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 min Blitzking 164,196
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 hr thetruth 19,049
How can we prove God exists, or does not? Tue Gillette 84
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) Tue DanFromSmithville 141,352
has science finally debunked the 'god' myth? May 24 UncommonSense2015 10
News Darwin on the rocks (Sep '14) May 24 Chimney1 1,871
News British Ban Teaching Creationism As Science, Sh... (Jul '14) May 23 Swedenforever 159
More from around the web