Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180394 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

One way or another

United States

#117806 Feb 18, 2013
In nature, animals in the wild choose the smartest and strongest. It's quite obvious that man does not do that, according to all the stupidity shown here, by the Evo morons.
One way or another

United States

#117807 Feb 18, 2013
Common sense dictates that you won't teach someone else your job, so that they know all you know and all they know, because they can potentially take your job at a lower rate and still have potential job growth.

That is how humans limit our race terribly.
One way or another

United States

#117808 Feb 18, 2013
You evolutionists make yourselves look like idiots, because you refuse anything that does not agree with evolution and its packaging.

Then you blame any and all that don't agree with your one sidedness.

You talk and act like idiots with only half a brain and then you feel the need to cry on each others shoulders for support, while as a group, you use childish nonsense.

You dumb down not only yourselves, but your children and god forbid you're a teacher.
One way or another

United States

#117809 Feb 18, 2013
Science cannot tell if the healthy population is breeding with the inbred population. The inbred population will live for a time and then die. All science can tell is whether or not a worm or Nematodes are inbred or not.

Every single test can be manipulated, in so very many ways.
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#117810 Feb 18, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
The researchers made kept a healthy population separate and then re-introduced it after the subject population lost fitness. Of course the damaged population regained fitness with the re-introfuction of a healthly gene pool. This has nothing to do with Sanford and is just common sense. Again though, replenishing the gene pool with healthly specimen is only stop gap because the reality of limited resources.
Sorry, are you saying that the researchers just kept a flask of 'fit' wiggly buggers, then poured it into the population that had lost fitness?

Can you find anything to back up this claim - certainly I can see reference to potential line contamination but this was more about the steps taken to mitigate contamination - which would, one suspects be a waste of time had they simply made such a fundemental experimental error as you suggest.

To give you some wiggle room - I noticed you said 'the researchers MADE kept a ....' I suspect this was a spellcheck correction of 'may have' in which case my point still stands that they wouldn't be so insane to do what you suggested - just that at least you were putting it forward as a possibility - rather than making s$&t up?
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#117811 Feb 18, 2013
One way or another wrote:
In nature, animals in the wild choose the smartest and strongest. It's quite obvious that man does not do that.......,.
Going by the fact that you have been married, one would have to agree
One way or another

United States

#117812 Feb 18, 2013
Sometimes what or whom is served best, may be by an indirect route. Use science alone, giving them no chance to use their best line of defense, even though its a cop out most times.

Yes, they will use it anyway, because they can't defend their one sidedness, but more and more people will see and the evos will push more and more away.

Just a thought.
One way or another

United States

#117813 Feb 18, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, are you saying that the researchers just kept a flask of 'fit' wiggly buggers, then poured it into the population that had lost fitness?
Can you find anything to back up this claim - certainly I can see reference to potential line contamination but this was more about the steps taken to mitigate contamination - which would, one suspects be a waste of time had they simply made such a fundemental experimental error as you suggest.
To give you some wiggle room - I noticed you said 'the researchers MADE kept a ....' I suspect this was a spellcheck correction of 'may have' in which case my point still stands that they wouldn't be so insane to do what you suggested - just that at least you were putting it forward as a possibility - rather than making s$&t up?
Yea cowboy, how dare you think the scientists would just dump in a whole bunch of fit worms, science would add only one healthy male and female. Sarcasm off!
One way or another

United States

#117814 Feb 18, 2013
Science leaves out so much, because it doesn't want to be held to its own standards.
One way or another

United States

#117815 Feb 18, 2013
Scientists are like lawyers. For the most part, they are taught, monkey see, monkey do, but the media creates the illusion that these people are better than everyone else, but that's just not true.

While they are taught to understand a few things better, in their own little realm, that doesn't mean they can think for themselves. It also doesn't mean they can challenge some other scientist that makes any old claim they want. IE: Red shift, blue shift, gravity and speed of light.

Of all the scientists in the world, most all have no voice, save a tiny few, when they are allowed or an innocent mistake is made and then shushed.
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#117817 Feb 18, 2013
<quoted text>
Yea cowboy, how dare you think the scientists would just dump in a whole bunch of fit worms, science would add only one healthy male and female. Sarcasm off!
Want to point out from the paper that Chimmney originally posted where it is suggested that this is indeed the case.

http://www.ecologia.unam.mx/laboratorios/evol...

I warn you in advance that you may actually have to read some sciencey stuff and we know how you hate that (not a trace of sarcasm in the whole post)

Go on Jimbo - be a man - point out where the researchers DID
'dump in a whole bunch of fit worms'

You can do it .... you know you can ... just back up this one Claim
One way or another

United States

#117818 Feb 18, 2013
NASA stupidity

Original work
By Jim Ryan
Supported by evidence
Moons reflectors bogus

So, the moons reflectors are 239,000 miles from earth, approximately and since the speed of light is 186,000 miles per second, y'all must think that laser beam will get back to earth pretty fast. Actually, the light should return to earth from the moons reflectors in 1.3 seconds, with the reflectors designed to reflect the light back, but according to the scientists and this web site page, it takes a few seconds to return to earth. A FEW SECONDS,--wow, how very scientific,- when judging light speed. Gotta love the very accurate, scientific method, NOT!!!
A few seconds is at least twice as long as the beam or photons should take to return to earth.

At least they depend on all of us being stupid enough to believe them. Well, at least the Evo morons here.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/ApolloLas...

The piece claims,--Once the laser beam hits a reflector, scientists at the ranging observatories use extremely sensitive filtering and amplification equipment to detect the return signal, which is far too weak to be seen with the human eye. Even under good atmospheric viewing conditions, only one photon is received every few seconds.

Read that last line above again, one photon every FEW SECONDS.

It should only take 1.3 seconds for each return photon, if that light is traveling at the speed of light.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#117819 Feb 18, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you have to ask me? Why don't you just read the damn paper?
One way or another

United States

#117820 Feb 18, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Want to point out from the paper that Chimmney originally posted where it is suggested that this is indeed the case.
http://www.ecologia.unam.mx/laboratorios/evol...
I warn you in advance that you may actually have to read some sciencey stuff and we know how you hate that (not a trace of sarcasm in the whole post)
Go on Jimbo - be a man - point out where the researchers DID
'dump in a whole bunch of fit worms'
You can do it .... you know you can ... just back up this one Claim
Come on stupid, be specific, don't just throw a web site out here, show us you know exactly what you are claiming.

Point to where science used a certain number of worms and how many, to heal inbred worms and their population sizes.

Lmao

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#117821 Feb 18, 2013
NASA stupidity
Original work
By Jim Ryan
Supported by evidence
Moons reflectors bogus
So, the moons reflectors are 239,000 miles from earth, approximately and since the speed of light is 186,000 miles per second, y'all must think that laser beam will get back to earth pretty fast. Actually, the light should return to earth from the moons reflectors in 1.3 seconds, with the reflectors designed to reflect the light back, but according to the scientists and this web site page, it takes a few seconds to return to earth. A FEW SECONDS,--wow, how very scientific,- when judging light speed. Gotta love the very accurate, scientific method, NOT!!!
A few seconds is at least twice as long as the beam or photons should take to return to earth.
At least they depend on all of us being stupid enough to believe them. Well, at least the Evo morons here.
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/ApolloLas...
The piece claims,--Once the laser beam hits a reflector, scientists at the ranging observatories use extremely sensitive filtering and amplification equipment to detect the return signal, which is far too weak to be seen with the human eye. Even under good atmospheric viewing conditions, only one photon is received every few seconds.
Read that last line above again, one photon every FEW SECONDS.
It should only take 1.3 seconds for each return photon, if that light is traveling at the speed of light.
I'm beginning to wonder if Ryan is really a Poe. I mean, can anyone actually be this completely and totally stupid? This has been explained to him *in great detail* several times and still he doesn't seem to get it.

What say you? Poe or complete moron?
One way or another

United States

#117822 Feb 18, 2013
Most scientists know that if they write so the entire community can read and understand their work, then they know that all those eyes will pick apart every tiny detail that is wrong.

However, that serves to dumb down the entire community.
One way or another

United States

#117823 Feb 18, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm beginning to wonder if Ryan is really a Poe. I mean, can anyone actually be this completely and totally stupid? This has been explained to him *in great detail* several times and still he doesn't seem to get it.
What, no science? You sure got down pat that childish ne calling. Lol-- you moron.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#117824 Feb 18, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Same thing. The cougars brought in from the western states were introduced into the Everglades. Same ancestral supply. It just delays the inevitable. The deleterious genetic mutations continue to accumulate. They just got more fit because "natural selection" was re-introduced. How can you not see this?
No UC, not the same thing. Do you understand?

1. An isolated population of nematodes is bred generation after generation with natural selection suspended. Fitness falls.

2. The SAME, isolated population, the descendants of (1) above, with no external material introduced, is subject once again to natural selection.

3. Over many generations of this STILL ISOLATED population, fitness recovers.

According to Sanford, this is not possible. Its the very core of his thesis. And its falsified by experiment.

Cougars brought into the everglades were introduced, as I understand it, to bring new diversity into a shrunken and inbred local population. This is NOT the same thing as with the isolated nematode population internally recovering fitness.

You can see this, of course. But now you are grasping at straws, to save your beloved "genetic entropy" hypothesis.
One way or another

United States

#117825 Feb 18, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's your chance moron, I've written quite a lot about science on this page. Pick one and refute it or don't, because you can't.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#117826 Feb 18, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are actually calling me insane?
Regarding the systematic and comprehensive denial of reality that is necessary to maintain a belief in a 6000 year old earth, given our current information and knowledge, yes. This is insanity UC. Anyone with the slightest understanding of science and capacity for objectivity can see that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
One species or three 1 hr replaytime 13
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr replaytime 61,602
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 6 hr Dogen 220,717
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 8 hr Dogen 2,721
Curious dilemma about DNA 9 hr Dogen 14
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 18 hr Aura Mytha 28,325
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 20 hr Subduction Zone 160,325
More from around the web