Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,193

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story
One way or another

United States

#117453 Feb 15, 2013
From HTS

Complete BS. Non-coding does not mean "non-functional". Your entire junk DNA paradigm has crashed.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#117454 Feb 15, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
That is atrocious
<gets out notepad and pencil>
Q. What is the difference between human babies and seagulls?

A. Seagulls go flitting along the shore.
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#117455 Feb 15, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Q. What is the difference between human babies and seagulls?
A. Seagulls go flitting along the shore.
"Debating creationists on the topic of evolution is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon; it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory."
- Scott D. Weitzenhoffer
Holy Ghost

Kansas City, MO

#117456 Feb 15, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Our parliament opened with the Lord's Prayer two days ago...
You mean the "Aliens prayer"

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#117457 Feb 15, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Classic logical fallacy of the false alternative
Wrong again HTS. This is the comparison of two claims to see how much evidence each has. It does not say that these are the only possible results.

You need to work on your logical fallacies.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Twin Cities

#117458 Feb 15, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You employ two fallacies in the above statement:
1. You attempt to prove evolution by arguing that God is more implausible.
2. You think that "consensus" is "science". Every scientific breakthrough in history began by challenging
consensus.
You don't have a leg to stand on.
Do you have any consensus challenging scientific breakthroughs to explain here??

I'm not trying to prove evolution...I know it's true because the evidence is overwhelming, and ALL of the creationists argument have been shown to be false whenever a real scientists looked over their arguments.

You sir don't have a leg of reality to stand on. All you have is a web of deceit and lies.

:-)

Level 9

Everett, WA

#117459 Feb 15, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You employ two fallacies in the above statement:
1. You attempt to prove evolution by arguing that God is more implausible.
2. You think that "consensus" is "science". Every scientific breakthrough in history began by challenging
consensus.
You don't have a leg to stand on.
Again wrong. That is not what he claimed in the least.

1. There are mountains of scientific evidence that support evolution. There is not that support that concept of god.

2. No, consensus merely shows that the vast majority of scientists agree that evolution is a fact and that god is highly questionable. Your last statement is not correct either. There are major scientific breakthroughs that were made by finding answers for questions that consensus could not. For example Einstein's theories came about because of unanswered questions, not from a desire to upset consensus. The same applies to quantum theory.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#117460 Feb 15, 2013
One way or another wrote:
Lets see how the media and others are destroying intelligent thought.
I've asked you this a few times. I figure I'll ask again: have you ever been hospitalized against your will?
HTS

Williston, ND

#117461 Feb 15, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Top notch cut and paste
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/sep/05...
But what is YOUR point - you know, in your own words , with new thoughts - what are you trying to say here ?
The ENCODE project destroyed the poster child of evolution... The failed junk DNA paradigm.
HTS

Williston, ND

#117462 Feb 15, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any consensus challenging scientific breakthroughs to explain here??
I'm not trying to prove evolution...I know it's true because the evidence is overwhelming, and ALL of the creationists argument have been shown to be false whenever a real scientists looked over their arguments.
You sir don't have a leg of reality to stand on. All you have is a web of deceit and lies.
:-)
Meaningless BS... Let's see some actual science.
HTS

Williston, ND

#117463 Feb 15, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
1. There are mountains of scientific evidence that support evolution. There is not that support that concept of god.
2. No, consensus merely shows that the vast majority of scientists agree that evolution is a fact and that god is highly questionable. Your last statement is not correct either. There are major scientific breakthroughs that were made by finding answers for questions that consensus could not. For example Einstein's theories came about because of unanswered questions, not from a desire to upset consensus. The same applies to quantum theory.
Your regurgitated atheist BS is getting annoying. The "mountains of scientific evidence" of which you speak is non-existent. You can keep parroting the same worn out cliches, but you haven't proven anything.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#117464 Feb 15, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Meaningless BS... Let's see some actual science.
Once again HTS, you have demonstrated time after time that you have no concept of what is science.
HTS

Williston, ND

#117465 Feb 15, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know? You haven't examined all of the evidence. You have categorically rejected it because of your atheistic religion. The "mountains of scientific evidence" for evolution of which you speak. There is not a shred of actual experimental scientific evidence that evolution has occurred or could occur. You have been duped by intellectual elites.
HTS

Williston, ND

#117466 Feb 15, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again HTS, you have demonstrated time after time that you have no concept of what is science.
I see that you've been nailed to the wall... Hence your pathetic desperate attempts to divert attention from your failed religion.
HTS

Williston, ND

#117467 Feb 15, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had any concept of science, you would not present as evidence for a theory its popularity.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#117468 Feb 15, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>The ENCODE project destroyed the poster child of evolution... The failed junk DNA paradigm.
No, all the ENCODE project showed is that more of the DNA in the genome was coding that was previously thought. Some the DNA they found was minimally coding at best.

First off there was no "junk DNA paradigm" so it cannot fail. A nonexistent object cannot fail. Second the OP misunderstood the article he linked. It never said what he claimed it to. You might have noticed, he ran away after being defeated many many times over.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#117469 Feb 15, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had any concept of science, you would not present as evidence for a theory its popularity.
And you fail again. You keep demonstrating that you have no understanding of science. A well tested and accepted theory, like the theory of evolution, is at the top of the hierarchy of all scientific ideas. It outranks laws, hypotheses and mere facts.

How much fail are you full of tonight?

When do you want to start to learn?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#117470 Feb 15, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
I see that you've been nailed to the wall... Hence your pathetic desperate attempts to divert attention from your failed religion.
Don't make me laugh.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#117471 Feb 15, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know? You haven't examined all of the evidence. You have categorically rejected it because of your atheistic religion. The "mountains of scientific evidence" for evolution of which you speak. There is not a shred of actual experimental scientific evidence that evolution has occurred or could occur. You have been duped by intellectual elites.
No, I haven't. That is what peer review is for.

And atheists never reject evidence. Atheism is not a religion, but they do have general beliefs. Actually some don't care about evolution, they have their own reason for rejecting the bullshit of religion.

Once again, until you show a genuine interest in learning I will simply point out how you are an idiot to anyone who understands science.
HTS

Williston, ND

#117472 Feb 15, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
And you fail again. You keep demonstrating that you have no understanding of science. A well tested and accepted theory, like the theory of evolution, is at the top of the hierarchy of all scientific ideas. It outranks laws, hypotheses and mere facts.
How much fail are you full of tonight?
When do you want to start to learn?
You're living in fantasyland. Evolution is not a universally accepted scientific theory. You apparently go with the flow.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 8 min Subduction Zone 141,636
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 min Aura Mytha 14,419
Posting for Points in the Evolution Forum (Oct '11) 1 hr -TheExam- 13,957
Why Are There No Transitional Animals Today? (Mar '09) 2 hr dirtclod 770
The conditions necessary for homo sapiens to sp... 8 hr NoahLovesU 3
Ten Reason Why Evolution Is a Lie (Jul '09) 8 hr NoahLovesU 1,954
Last ditch bid to ban creationism in Scottish c... Jan 22 TurkanaBoy 2
More from around the web