Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
114,301 - 114,320 of 172,158 Comments Last updated 58 min ago

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

One way or another wrote:
Lol, I just got a business call at 1230 tonite.
So your hooker finally showed up! Good for Jimbo, at least he is getting something tonight!
Mugwump

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

<quoted text>
The climate flips from hotter to colder and back again, with regularity. Shit happens.
Except :--

It's happening quicker now - a lot quicker

The GW properties of c02 have been understood for a hundred years and can be verified in a lab

A conspiracy of the type you suggest by scientists would be unsustainable.

Of course some would suggest that the crap you regurgitate is simply propaganda from lobbying firms that are funded by the old companies - but you would be that naive would you

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

North Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
1) You're using the term "Evolutionist" -- which is a BIOLOGICAL reference to describe cosmological events.
2) I'm suremost everybody has 'opinions' on the matter of "The Big Question(s). But those are OPINIONS only, not fodder for scientific scrutiny or discussion worth the weight that you're attempting to impose upon it. Perhaps you should go on over to the Philosophy threads for a better response.
3) "I/We" don't know **IS** a viable, and honest response whether you like it or not.
You are not typing peer-reviewed science Kong. I am just asking for your honest opinion. And you are NOT the science. You are not the experiment. You are a person who has an opinion so out with it. What is this code of silence that you people keep? Can you not think?
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
1) You're using the term "Evolutionist" -- which is a BIOLOGICAL reference to describe cosmological events.
Perfectly legitimate
Just like Creation.com is alegitimate website to link to in this debate

Evolutionary cosmologists use the phrase 'evolution' all the time...
as these text books are testament to...

http://www.creationastronomy.com/evolution-ha...

And don't pretend you have not seen this before
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Except :--
It's happening quicker now - a lot quicker
The GW properties of c02 have been understood for a hundred years and can be verified in a lab
A conspiracy of the type you suggest by scientists would be unsustainable.
Of course some would suggest that the crap you regurgitate is simply propaganda from lobbying firms that are funded by the old companies - but you would be that naive would you
Help me , Jesus...
Please help me..
I want to be polite, Lord...

But how...
how can I....

Arrrrrghhhh....

This torture!

Biting my knuckles....

...now sitting on my hands...
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Tomatoes taste like mush because they have been bred for shipping. A good tasting tomato cannot be shipped. Grow your own or go to a farmer's market. Good tasting tomatoes are not pretty and they will cost more. A good tasting tomato usually has black cracks near the top from its rapid on the vine ripening.
I grew up growing my own tomatoes and still miss the taste of a properly grown home tomato. Where I live now it does not get hot enough for decent tomatoes.
Ever heard of this thing ...I think...its called a 'greenhouse'....or something...
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
http://creation.com/about-us#what_we_believe
"The scientific aspects of creation are important, but are secondary in importance to the proclamation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ as Sovereign, Creator, Redeemer and Judge."
That's not how science works.
Our parliament opened with the Lord's Prayer two days ago...
Mugwump

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Help me , Jesus...
Please help me..
But how...
how can I....
Arrrrrghhhh....
This torture!
Biting my knuckles....
A brilliant argument, constructively put as always.

Thank you for your input

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever heard of this thing ...I think...its called a 'greenhouse'....or something...
Subduction Zone wrote “decent tomatoes”

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Our winters will steadily increase and the summers decrease. This winter was stronger than the last 10 winters.

Science has shown multiple lines of independent data that show that the opposite is actually happening.

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Actually the climate started changing about 24 years ago. The latest flip started last year.
Actually this bout of climate change started about 10,000 years ago. With a steady rise until the late 1800s. Then the increase, increased and then skyrocketed in the last 60 years

http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Lets see you argue with NASA data

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

The corn crop is devistated by the gov and scientists, by making ethanol out of it and by biologically changing corn.
Biologically changing corn has saved over a billion lives. Bio engineered corn is resistant to drought conditions and disease. African countries, India, China etc now has considerably less problem feeding their populations now than 50 years ago

Ethanol production is a by-product of this abundance which has grown, driven by commercial greed in western countries.

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Lol, I just got a business call at 1230 tonite.
Are you a hooker?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

<quoted text>
Just making an obvious prediction.
Global warming was a scam to get more taxes.
Jimbo, how on Earth can you call yourself the carpet whisperer if you hate kittens so much?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

One must first understand that scientists do as they are told, depending and that the media says what gets said and how widespread and strong.
So what are the names of the scientists that sounded the alarm, when and what media pressed it?
All I heard was global warming from the scientists and cap and trade from congress, Wall Street and the media--of course backed by investors.
Jewish?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not typing peer-reviewed science Kong. I am just asking for your honest opinion. And you are NOT the science. You are not the experiment. You are a person who has an opinion so out with it. What is this code of silence that you people keep? Can you not think?
Peer-review is irrelevant to you because science is irrelevant to you. Or did you forget that your position is invisible Jewish magic?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Perfectly legitimate
Just like Creation.com is alegitimate website to link to in this debate
Evolutionary cosmologists use the phrase 'evolution' all the time...
as these text books are testament to...
Sure, ignore context. Why not, you ignore science.(shrug)

There is no debate. That's why you don't debate. Your position is Goddidit with magic. You can't debate when you have no case.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Tomatoes taste like mush because they have been bred for shipping. A good tasting tomato cannot be shipped. Grow your own or go to a farmer's market. Good tasting tomatoes are not pretty and they will cost more. A good tasting tomato usually has black cracks near the top from its rapid on the vine ripening.
I grew up growing my own tomatoes and still miss the taste of a properly grown home tomato. Where I live now it does not get hot enough for decent tomatoes.
Where we picked tomatoes from a tomato field most every weekend was in Ruskin Florida. We would buy two good sized boxes for each coming week and give some to our closest relatives.

I never saw a tomato like you describe.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually this bout of climate change started about 10,000 years ago. With a steady rise until the late 1800s. Then the increase, increased and then skyrocketed in the last 60 years
http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
Lets see you argue with NASA data
What proof to back the claims. I just know what I have lived.

Lol, so how often are the weathermen and women wrong?
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Help me , Jesus...
Please help me..
But how...
how can I....
Arrrrrghhhh....
This torture!
Biting my knuckles....
When they can't win, they pretend that they want to make you angry.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••