Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 5,715)

Showing posts 114,281 - 114,300 of171,249
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that mean?

Try dictionary.com

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh?

Maybe you should read it again. It is in English. You know English, right?

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
1) You're using the term "Evolutionist" -- which is a BIOLOGICAL reference to describe cosmological events.
2) I'm suremost everybody has 'opinions' on the matter of "The Big Question(s). But those are OPINIONS only, not fodder for scientific scrutiny or discussion worth the weight that you're attempting to impose upon it. Perhaps you should go on over to the Philosophy threads for a better response.
3) "I/We" don't know **IS** a viable, and honest response whether you like it or not.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
BS. You didn't voice your opintion at all.

You forget how to read?

It isn't that hard.

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually that is a perfectly reasonable statement.
You have belief / faith and as it is outside the realms of what science can address it is no less important in its own right.
However what science can provide is the most verifiable explaination of how life diversified, whether the 'starting point' was divinely inspired or not is a seperate issue, and one that science can't answer and more importantly (what ever creationists say w.r.t. Conflating evolution with atheism) doesn't try to.
There - you have an opinion.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
I cannot think
That was all that was necessary.

We know.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't dismiss your arguments Mugwump
What are your criticisms of Creation.com ?
I swear I wont go
CREATION RACIST BIGOTRY
Unless you dismiss Creation.com BECAUSE it's creationist
Look at their arguments
Check their references
Then have a look at Panda's bum...
Mocking argumentum ad hominum
That's not science to me
http://creation.com/about-us#what_we_believe
"The scientific aspects of creation are important, but are secondary in importance to the proclamation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ as Sovereign, Creator, Redeemer and Judge."

That's not how science works.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Our winters will steadily increase and the summers decrease. This winter was stronger than the last 10 winters.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

One way or another wrote:
Our winters will steadily increase and the summers decrease. This winter was stronger than the last 10 winters.
Yes, climatologists are working to figure our what's wrong with the chaos we're seeing in the weather patterns now. What's your point?
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, climatologists are working to figure our what's wrong with the chaos we're seeing in the weather patterns now. What's your point?
Just making an obvious prediction.

Global warming was a scam to get more taxes.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

What goes up must come down, until it doesn't and then there is nothing anyone can do about it.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Soon the fertilizers of the land will bleach the oceans of life.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

All the gov's and the stock market see are profits from misery, they help to create.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

<quoted text>
You are correct, but that's what happens when you don't listen to scientists. The climate is past the tipping point, and we have two different temperature changes, colder in the lower atmosphere, and hotter in the higher atmosphere, when both should be warming based on the carbon content of the atmosphere. However because of the unaccounted discrepancy the climatologists want to figure out all the details before making any recommendations.

The "global warming" crap Gore started is based on ignoring the science and done merely to manipulate the market, pretty much par for the course. All politicians and businesses do that all the time.
LowellGuy

Lawrence, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

<quoted text>
So was hurricane Katrina and Sandy and the drought in the Midwest that has cost a third or more of the annual corn crop.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

One must first understand that scientists do as they are told, depending and that the media says what gets said and how widespread and strong.

So what are the names of the scientists that sounded the alarm, when and what media pressed it?

All I heard was global warming from the scientists and cap and trade from congress, Wall Street and the media--of course backed by investors.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
So was hurricane Katrina and Sandy and the drought in the Midwest that has cost a third or more of the annual corn crop.
The climate flips from hotter to colder and back again, with regularity. Shit happens.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

When the climate flips, the atmosphere, upper and lower, also flip. That's called change. Science didn't understand the weather as well as now, back at the last flip, which was about 20 years ago.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Actually the climate started changing about 24 years ago. The latest flip started last year.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

The corn crop is devistated by the gov and scientists, by making ethanol out of it and by biologically changing corn.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

The gov and scientists have made tomatoes taste like mush.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Lol, I just got a business call at 1230 tonite.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 114,281 - 114,300 of171,249
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••