Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 5,711)

Showing posts 114,201 - 114,220 of171,262
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Russell wrote:
I have just disputed them
And have done so before
You can dispute anything you like. Creationists dispute reality. They're incapable of addressing it though.(shrug)
Russell wrote:
Time and time again
And I am not the only one
Perhaps the least of them all
Correct. Your baseless religious opinions are irrelevant.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Therefore
Darker skinned people are less evolved??
Yes?
Nope. Anyone who makes such a claim doesn't understand evolution.

Nice try at ad hom though.

And it still doesn't change the fact that the Adam and Eve story couldn't possibly be any more racist.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Its how evolutionary biologists have interpreted the paper regarding HLA-DRB
It all there on PubMed...
Again
Not what I was talking about in MY posts
You're not actually talking about anything in your posts. All you're doing is pointing to research demonstrating evolution done by evolutionary biologists you disagree with using methods you think are flawed and who state that their work demonstrates evolution so you pick out a word that sounds technical therefore evolution is wrong even though you don't have an explanation.
Russell wrote:
Thanks for your valuable insights, Bud

H-E-T-E-R-O-P-L-A-S-M-Y
G-O-D-M-A-G-I-C
Russell wrote:
Trillion galaxies are just hydrogen and dirt
No, they are complex phenomena displaying high levels of CSI. Therefore everything displays high levels of CSI. Therefore you have nothing with a low CSI to provide an objective comparison. Therefore your position is non-falsifiable pseudo-scientific bullshite.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

As always, the Evo childish clique is all talk and no proof. They've been here for years and not one of them has had a thought all their own.

Poor brainwashed children.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no "starting premise" at all, chronologically. The only starting premise of science is that we can create meaningful theories from what is observed in the physical world, and this has proven to be a very powerful and useful premise to mankind.
We do not assume nothing + nobody = everything. We say...and it gets tiresome to repeat the obvious to you, but it never sinks in...we do not know. Our scientific knowledge of the world does not start from the "beginning", it starts from the most immediate and accessible observations and moves outward from there...including backward, more distant, smaller, larger, as far as the range of our observations and experiments and instruments and rational thought can take us.
Enough of this trite strawman n+n=e you keep popping out at irregular intervals. If anything, it merely shows how little you understand anything about science. But at least that would explain why you keep mistaking pseudoscience for the real thing.
And enough of this cop out "I don't know". And don't say "we" because you can't speak for anyone but yourself. Saying you have no opinion when you do is simply being dishonest.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
And enough of this cop out "I don't know". And don't say "we" because you can't speak for anyone but yourself. Saying you have no opinion when you do is simply being dishonest.
On the contrary. Chim saying he/we "don't know" as it pertains to areas of science that are ambiguous at best is exceedingly honest.

For science to say definitively that "hypothesis 'A' is fact -- when this 'fact' has yet to be established, is quite dishonest.

But then again, fundimentalists -- such as yourself -- have a hard time dealing with uncertainty. It's a known trait of the highly religious personality, the "need for closure".

Overview
"... people who deal with religious contents in a literal way have a higher need for closure than people who deal with religious content in a symbolical way because they need to avoid ambiguity or are unwilling to have their beliefs confronted by alternative opinions.

Thus, apparently, whereas religious belief as such seems to be associated with a preference for order and structure as well as predictability, it is those who deal with religious content in a literal way who are incapable of dealing with alternative opinions."

https://perswww.kuleuven.be/~u0016732/bartdur...

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Alien outlaw wrote:
<quoted text>A trillion galaxies in the universe. And, a bible character had nothing in creating any of it.....except in the minds of the primitive human.Who made aliens? Who made God? Proof....experience. Any pics or videos of God? Project God Book? SETI...searching for God? Evolution.....humans evolved from knuckle draggers.........Please, utilize the logic that the aliens provided. So, they left the human comprehension levels at near zero......think. Scientists know, Scientology knows and we know. Look around, humans label themselves "Experts"....really? The gullible human animal is easily brainwashed including the experts.
But, no evidence. Nobody cares about your claims. We only care about evidence. If you don't present evidence, everything you say is dismissed as the ramblings of a mad man.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it more honest to say "I don't know" or to make shit up?

What was George Washington's favorite food? Answer that honestly. You can either say, "I don't know," or you can make something up. Which of those would be the honest answer?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

One way or another wrote:
As always, the Evo childish clique is all talk and no proof. They've been here for years and not one of them has had a thought all their own.
Poor brainwashed children.
Cat piss / carpet tack strips
Spin = gravity
everything else you post repeatedly

All talk and no proof. You've had thoughts all your own, but delusions aren't worthwhile thoughts.
HTS

Sidney, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you get these lies????? ALL of the lifeforms of the Cambrian have ancestors in the Proterozoic (Ediacaran) period.
Read the above sentence again.
What a load of pure BS. Please provide scientific proof that cambrian lifeforms had ancestors in the proterozoic period. Bedtime stories do not constitute science.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

While live and let live is not in the Evo morons lexicon, nor manners, nor intelligence, nor care even for science, it seems their one goal is to help gov, media and the courts to destroy religious power, which could be a good thing, in bringing back what should be the true nature of what might better represent the biblical representation of god and of course, the fact that if gov squires all the power by its ongoing campaign to destroy religion and grab Ll power for itself, do you think that will be a good thing, from what we know
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
What a load of pure BS. Please provide scientific proof that cambrian lifeforms had ancestors in the proterozoic period. Bedtime stories do not constitute science.
Hilda, why are you asking for evidence which you have absolutely no interest in whatsoever anyway?

How many times have I presented the evidence for evolution to you?

Lots.

How many times have you presented a rational rebuttal and not just "Nuh-UH!!!"

ZERO.

Anyway, here's some more of what you're not interested in:

http://www.trilobites.info/origins.htm
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

One way or another wrote:
While live and let live is not in the Evo morons lexicon, nor manners, nor intelligence, nor care even for science, it seems their one goal is to help gov, media and the courts to destroy religious power, which could be a good thing, in bringing back what should be the true nature of what might better represent the biblical representation of god and of course, the fact that if gov squires all the power by its ongoing campaign to destroy religion and grab Ll power for itself, do you think that will be a good thing, from what we know
Yes Jimbo, we're all part of the evil worldwide atheist Jewish conspiracy. All controlled by our evil intelligent bacteria overlords. You know what happened to the Martians, right? Planned.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

Actually, putting words in peoples mouths is dishonest.

He never says he has no opinion, now does he?

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no "starting premise" at all, chronologically. The only starting premise of science is that we can create meaningful theories from what is observed in the physical world, and this has proven to be a very powerful and useful premise to mankind.
We do not assume nothing + nobody = everything. We say...and it gets tiresome to repeat the obvious to you, but it never sinks in...we do not know. Our scientific knowledge of the world does not start from the "beginning", it starts from the most immediate and accessible observations and moves outward from there...including backward, more distant, smaller, larger, as far as the range of our observations and experiments and instruments and rational thought can take us.
Enough of this trite strawman n+n=e you keep popping out at irregular intervals. If anything, it merely shows how little you understand anything about science. But at least that would explain why you keep mistaking pseudoscience for the real thing.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>

How dishonest of you! I posted information with references and links and you just cut them out and stated the above.

You need to learn what you are talking about before you talk and you will not need to stoop to such deceit (or at least not as often).
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Aww the childish morons don't address the subjects. They merely change the subject. Oh we'll, we can't expect any better from childish morons.

By the bye, what good has come of the evolution movement, that would not have come about without it?
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

The childish Evo morons here act just like the childish morons running this country into the ground and giving away most of the middle class jobs in manufacturing. They rely on other people to protect them when they say and do stupid things. Standing on their own two feet is not something they can do. They offer nothing of value.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Having healthy and strong germ cells is mandatory to produce a viable zygote, so why would harmful viral-infected egg/sperm cells be considered more fit (positive selection) versus ones without retroviral DNA?
Apoptosis is an accepted biological phenomenon, so why wouldn’t most germ cells with viral-infected DNA be eliminated?
“Apoptosis, or programmed cell death, is a normal component of the development and health of multicellular organisms. Cells die in response to a variety of stimuli and during apoptosis they do so in a controlled, regulated fashion … The latter occurs when T-cells recognise damaged or virus infected cells and initiate apoptosis in order to prevent damaged cells from becoming neoplastic (cancerous) or virus-infected cells from spreading the infection.”
Why and by what mechanism do you propose a lack of T-cell mediated immune response to infection in a germ cell?
And why only ERVs?
Why not other viruses?
The ERV's that get passed on for many generations are passed on because the immune system DOES NOT HAVE A MECHANISM to counteract their infection. The reproductive ability of any virus is affected by its negative result on the host. The more damage it does, the less ability it has to infect a new host. So the ERV's that produce neutral or positive results are likely to be the most persistent.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Didn't you just complain about "changing the subject"?

Derrrrr
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Lets see how the media and others are destroying intelligent thought. Look at the first definition from the web and the morons at Princeton and the second from Merriam-Webster dictionary.

The web,--
Web definitions
of or being or relating to or involving cognition; "cognitive psychology"; "cognitive style".
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Merriam--Cognitive - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster ...
www.merriam-webster.com/.../cognitiveof , relating to, being, or involving conscious intellectual activity (as thinking, reasoning, or remembering)...

Notice how Princeton marries cognition; "cognitive psychology"; "cognitive style"., creating a loop they can control however they choose?

Then look at the Merriam definition and --
involving conscious intellectual activity (as thinking, reasoning, or remembering)...

The media and science are changing the definition of ---varve, to fit whatever it chooses, trying to add legitimacy to the stupidity it chooses.

There was another deceitful change for another word, but forgot it at the moment. Remember, the pen is mightier than the sword.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 114,201 - 114,220 of171,262
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••