Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,180

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#117232 Feb 13, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right, SZ
That's right
In heaven
Looking down on you....
General Characteristics Of Apes
Morphological characteristics

The orbits of apesí eyes are encircled with bone.
Apes have forward-facing eyes that provide them a binocular vision, allowing them to perceive depth.
They have flattened snouts and noses. They lack whiskers.
Unlike other species of monkeys, apes do not have hairy faces.
Their ears are relatively small and hairless.
Apes have long arms, which is an adaptation for their arboreal life. They use their long arms to brachiate through trees.
Apes have five digits on all limbs.
Apes can balance themselves in bipedal pose and walk considerable distances in this manner.
Opposable thumb aids them in holding things (power gripping) and picking up small objects (precision gripping).
Apes have flattened nails that aid in fingertip protection. They have sensitive tactile pads on digits.
Dentition of apes is adapted for opportunistic, omnivorous diet.

Anatomical Characteristics

Apes have one upper and two lower bones on each limb.
They have the most mobile shoulders among all mammals and this is due to the dorsal position of scapula, the shoulder bone.
The ribs of apes are flatter front-to-back which makes their rib cages broader.
Their brain is larger than the normal body-brain ratio; this shows high level of intelligence.
Apes show progressive expansion of brain cells, especially the cerebral cortex region.
They have a less mobile spine as compared to monkeys.
Apes do not have tails; their tail vertebrae are greatly reduced.
The top of apesí heads, cranium, are large and dome shaped.

Physiological Characteristics

Apes regulate their body temperature internally (endothermy).
The dietary habits of apes show great variation among different species. While gorillas are foliovorous (feeding of leaves), other species are primarily frugivorous (feeding on fruits), however, chimpanzees may hunt sometimes for meat. Foraging behaviors are correspondingly variable among various species.
Apes have many physiological adaptations in the gut, including anatomical specializations of stomach, caecum and colon. They are adapted to digest food high in structural carbohydrates (&#64257;ber) and can detoxify secondary compounds from plants.
Apes rely on vision rather than smell. This is because they have good vision while their olfactory senses are not as developed.
Primates have color vision.

Reproduction And Parenting

Primates exhibit sexual dimorphism i.e., phenotypically different males and females.
Males have pendulous penis and scrotal testis.
Females have two well-developed pectoral mammary glands.
Apes have a long gestation period which differs from one species to another.
Apes, like humans, have reduced litter size, usually one youngling per litter. This enables them to provide better parenting.
Apes feed their young ones with breast milk, secreted from mammary glands.
Apes show attachment parenting. The young ones remain attached to either of their parents for the first few years after birth. This helps the young ones to learn the complex structure of their society.

Social Characteristics

Primates are largely social animals with complex social structure. Social life helps them protect each other from predators and also preserves depleting food resources.
Apes form groups and these groups belong to one of the following six; single female and her offspring, monogamous family group, one-male-several-female group, group with several males and females, polyandrous family group and fission-fusion society.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#117233 Feb 13, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny you should say that, considering you are direct verifiable evidence of the fact of evolution, monkey boy!
Therefore
Darker skinned people are less evolved??

Yes?

Yes?

Here's a pygmy put on display in a zoo

Thanks to evolutionary doctrine

http://creation.com/ota-benga-the-pygmy-put-o...

FURTHERMORE

Please see...if you can bear to:

Hughes J F et al Chimpanzee and human Y chromosomes are remarkably divergent in structure and gene, Nature, Jan 13, 2010

"Indeed, at 6 million years of separation, the difference in MSY gene content in chimpanzee and human is more comparable to the difference in autosomal gene content in a chicken and human, at 310 millions years of separation".

All this phylogenetic stuff is rubbish anyway

Just like evolution

STUFF and NONSENSE

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#117234 Feb 13, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
I am incredulous that ANYONE with half a brain could believe in evolution??
Its nonsense
You, Bro
Have not addressed the HLA-DRB 1 posts that I re-posted specifically on your request
BTW
Your Jim Carey link was PERFECT
I appreciate your incredulousness with regard to my acceptance with the ToE, but I do so with the basic knowledge of the science behind the ToE, AND with an upbringing (until 16 years of age) of fully indoctrinated Christian upbringing.(I also thought the Jim Carey response was appropriate...thanks!).

Although I missed your specific post that referred to HLA-DRB 1, rest assured it is no problem for the ToE.

Again, I haven't the patience right now to peruse the thread to find nor dissect your individual response, instead I present links to other *SCIENTIFIC* sites that discuss HLA-DRB 1 where I feel it is more than covered, suggesting HLA-DRB 1 alleles are NOT incompatible with the concept of the ToE nor specifically with HUMAN evolution.

http://www.dorak.info/mhc/drbevol.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7744619

http://www.nature.com/ng/journal/v18/n3/abs/n...

Orlando

#117235 Feb 13, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and I can present 10 (or more) examples of Christians expressing similar racist proclivities in the near and distant past.

It's ugly.

We both agree.

WE ("Evolutionists") never sanctioned racism.

Do you really want to go there?

No, you dont.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#117236 Feb 13, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, if there is a heaven there is no reason that I would not be there. Odds are there is nothing. When you are dead you will be dead. No more Russell except for a lingering bad memory for everyone who knew him.
Now I know how Jonah felt....
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#117237 Feb 13, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate your incredulousness with regard to my acceptance with the ToE, but I do so with the basic knowledge of the science behind the ToE, AND with an upbringing (until 16 years of age) of fully indoctrinated Christian upbringing.(I also thought the Jim Carey response was appropriate...thanks!).
Although I missed your specific post that referred to HLA-DRB 1, rest assured it is no problem for the ToE.
Again, I haven't the patience right now to peruse the thread to find nor dissect your individual response, instead I present links to other *SCIENTIFIC* sites that discuss HLA-DRB 1 where I feel it is more than covered, suggesting HLA-DRB 1 alleles are NOT incompatible with the concept of the ToE nor specifically with HUMAN evolution.
http://www.dorak.info/mhc/drbevol.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7744619
http://www.nature.com/ng/journal/v18/n3/abs/n...
Yeah

Its all pretty airtight!

No

No it ain't

So now you propose that humans originated in Australia?

I like it

But no one else does

Now its a race between Europe, a new favorite, Africa an old favourite and Australia, my favourite

Even tho' its the usual evo-mumbo jumbo

Besides

That is precisely NOT what I am referring to when I mention my posts regarding HLA-DRB1 exon 2 vs introns 1-4
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#117238 Feb 13, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and I can present 10 (or more) examples of Christians expressing similar racist proclivities in the near and distant past.
It's ugly.
We both agree.
WE ("Evolutionists") never sanctioned racism.
Do you really want to go there?
No, you dont.
Not if you don't want to

I'm cool either way

http://creation.com/evolutionary-racism

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#117239 Feb 13, 2013
Russell wrote:
Therefore
Darker skinned people are less evolved??
Russell wrote:
Yes?
Yes?
That was over a hundred years ago, had nothing to do with Darwin and everything to do with creaturd interpretation of his work. You are lying again, why is that not surprising?
Russell wrote:
FURTHERMORE
Please see...if you can bear to:
Hughes J F et al Chimpanzee and human Y chromosomes are remarkably divergent in structure and gene, Nature, Jan 13, 2010
"Indeed, at 6 million years of separation, the difference in MSY gene content in chimpanzee and human is more comparable to the difference in autosomal gene content in a chicken and human, at 310 millions years of separation".
All this phylogenetic stuff is rubbish anyway
Just like evolution
STUFF and NONSENSE
Too bad I know you have no idea what you are talking about, otherwise I might be impressed. <YAWN!!>

Orlando

#117240 Feb 13, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah
Its all pretty airtight!
No
No it ain't
So now you propose that humans originated in Australia?
I like it
But no one else does
Now its a race between Europe, a new favorite, Africa an old favourite and Australia, my favourite
Even tho' its the usual evo-mumbo jumbo
Besides
That is precisely NOT what I am referring to when I mention my posts regarding HLA-DRB1 exon 2 vs introns 1-4
"Humans humans originated(sic) in Australia"?!?!?

Nooooo....

That's not what was proposed in the links I presented. I think you may want to re-read them.
Alien Outlaw

Kansas City, MO

#117241 Feb 13, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Not if you don't want to
I'm cool either way
So, the Bible is proof of a God. Bones and monkey DNA proof of evolution. Than, a trillion galaxies proves that alien engineering is proof of human existence. Who made the aliens? The same ones who made God(s).

Orlando

#117242 Feb 13, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Not if you don't want to
I'm cool either way
"BASICS

1.The 66 books of the Bible are the written Word of God. The Bible is divinely inspired and inerrant throughout. Its assertions are factually true in all the original autographs. It is the supreme authority, not only in all matters of faith and conduct, but in everything it teaches.**Its authority is not limited to spiritual, religious or redemptive themes but includes its assertions in such fields as history and science**"

http://creation.com/about-us

If that's what you consider the final word as to 'history' or 'science', then there is little hope to speak with you on an intellectual level.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#117243 Feb 13, 2013
Alien Outlaw wrote:
<quoted text>Not that you don't care. Not smart enough to absorb the truth. It takes intelligence to know intelligence. Human knowledge and technology along with text books will never be sufficient enough for contact.
Great. Prove it.

Orlando

#117244 Feb 13, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Great. Prove it.
Apparently "Alien Outlaw" is **Special**.

(wink, wink -- nudge, nudge)
Alien outlaw

Kansas City, MO

#117245 Feb 13, 2013
Lowell Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Great. Prove it.
A trillion galaxies in the universe. And, a bible character had nothing in creating any of it.....except in the minds of the primitive human.Who made aliens? Who made God? Proof....experience. Any pics or videos of God? Project God Book? SETI...searching for God? Evolution.....humans evolved from knuckle draggers.........Please, utilize the logic that the aliens provided. So, they left the human comprehension levels at near zero......think. Scientists know, Scientology knows and we know. Look around, humans label themselves "Experts"....really? The gullible human animal is easily brainwashed including the experts.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#117246 Feb 13, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Now I know how Jonah felt....
So you are saying that you feel mythological. Oh, if that only were true.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#117247 Feb 13, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
"Humans humans originated(sic) in Australia"?!?!?
Nooooo....
That's not what was proposed in the links I presented. I think you may want to re-read them.
Its how evolutionary biologists have interpreted the paper regarding HLA-DRB

It all there on PubMed...

Again

Not what I was talking about in MY posts

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#117248 Feb 13, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Its how evolutionary biologists have interpreted the paper regarding HLA-DRB
It all there on PubMed...
Again
Not what I was talking about in MY posts
Who wants to bet that Rusty has pulled a Maz? He read the abstract of an article and did not understand it.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#117249 Feb 13, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Who wants to bet that Rusty has pulled a Maz? He read the abstract of an article and did not understand it.
Thanks for your valuable insights, Bud

H-E-T-E-R-O-P-L-A-S-M-Y
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#117250 Feb 13, 2013
Alien Outlaw wrote:
<quoted text>So, the Bible is proof of a God. Bones and monkey DNA proof of evolution. Than, a trillion galaxies proves that alien engineering is proof of human existence. Who made the aliens? The same ones who made God(s).
Trillion galaxies are just hydrogen and dirt
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#117251 Feb 13, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That was over a hundred years ago, had nothing to do with Darwin and everything to do with creaturd interpretation of his work. You are lying again, why is that not surprising?
<quoted text>
Too bad I know you have no idea what you are talking about, otherwise I might be impressed. <YAWN!!>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =IjGZ6kF2gbQXX
I so regret it EVERY TIME I break my cardinal rule NEVER to watch YouTube or associated TRASH RUBBISH sites proffered by animalutionists as "evidence" to support their flimsy desperate claims

This little picture does a better job of HIGHLIGHTING the differences between chimp and human MSY....

Without the elevator music...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/core/lw/2.0/html/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 6 min replaytime 142,380
Why Are There No Transitional Animals Today? (Mar '09) 1 hr karl44 796
Stephen King: Universe 'Suggests Intelligent De... (May '13) 5 hr Kong_ 455
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 hr Brian_G 14,590
Why natural selection can't work 6 hr Dogen 24
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 13 hr ChromiuMan 941
Darwin on the rocks Tue The Dude 832
More from around the web