Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,162

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#117046 Feb 12, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
No
I can't read
R-u-b-b-i-s-h
I'm very fussy, Bud, very very fussy
Truth, I'll read
Good science, I'll read
Good writing, I'll read
...but
Panda's bum and Trash origins....
C'mon...!
Don't lie. We know if it is more involved that a fairy tale it is work above your pay grade.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#117047 Feb 12, 2013
Why is it that Russell and other creatards hate TalkOrigins so much? I suppose any site that leaves them speechless would be an object of hate by them.

So Russell, HTS, Urban Cowflop, can you show that any article in TalkOrigins is wrong? Just one?
LowellGuy

Lowell, MA

#117048 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
DNA does not "self organize" every day. It always requires pre-existing DNA. As far as nucleotides forming naturally... What does that prove? I'm asking you for a logical explanation as to how DNA could form on its own. A racemic hodgepodge of nucleotides is not a genetic code. How did the first genetic information capable of supporting self replicating life come into existence? As far as RNA being a DNA precursor... That's raw conjecture. You have only dodged the question.
So, if we don't know for certain how X happened, we don't know anything about how X happened, therefore magic is the only reasonable explanation. You win!

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

North Miami Beach, FL

#117049 Feb 12, 2013
Question: When was the first E-coli? According to the theory of evolution, this species has been around for 20 million years? And we've seen about 50,000 generations over 25 years (as per Lenski) or about 2,000 generations per year? So the species has supposedly been through (20,000,000 * 2,000) some 40,000,000,000 generations and even according to the theory, has remained the same species, so why would anyone think we will see it macro-evolve after only 50,000?

Use the same thinking with humans, or any mammal for that matter. In light of the above, one cannot fathom how there can be any change possible with so few generations available even in the evolutionary timescale!

And the science bears this out; we have never documented a single unambiguous, clear-cut case of a beneficial mutation even when helped along with artificial selection by intelligent intervention where it resulted in some new or nascent limb, tissue, or organ.

This is consistent with the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics and the time arrow of entropy where we see that every last thing in the whole universe is slowing deteriorating towards less complexity. The genomes of all living organisms no exception.
LowellGuy

Lowell, MA

#117050 Feb 12, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
What would you accept as evidence of design? Specifically the things I mentioned? What criteria fails? What passes?
First, admit that apparent design is not the same actual design. I will not let you off the hook or let you think that you still get to conflate the two. Say the words.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#117051 Feb 12, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
Why is it that Russell and other creatards hate TalkOrigins so much? I suppose any site that leaves them speechless would be an object of hate by them.
So Russell, HTS, Urban Cowflop, can you show that any article in TalkOrigins is wrong? Just one?
I just showed that rejection of Gibbons paper on the basis of heteroplasmy is wrong

But you just trundle on...

Marshmallow terminator
LowellGuy

Lowell, MA

#117052 Feb 12, 2013
Godlust wrote:
<quoted text>Lets make this as simple as humanly possible......On one side is creation and the other side is evolution both are unanimously false, without question. Human thought of today is no different than humans 1000 years ago. Stuck in a mind rut, sinking hopelessly into an eternity of unbelieveable brainwashing. Only two wrong choices and one right one........Advanced Aliens engineered the human animal and all life on earth. Proof....about as much proof as God exist.
You're still here, eh?
LowellGuy

Lowell, MA

#117053 Feb 12, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Question: When was the first E-coli? According to the theory of evolution, this species has been around for 20 million years? And we've seen about 50,000 generations over 25 years (as per Lenski) or about 2,000 generations per year? So the species has supposedly been through (20,000,000 * 2,000) some 40,000,000,000 generations and even according to the theory, has remained the same species, so why would anyone think we will see it macro-evolve after only 50,000?
Use the same thinking with humans, or any mammal for that matter. In light of the above, one cannot fathom how there can be any change possible with so few generations available even in the evolutionary timescale!
And the science bears this out; we have never documented a single unambiguous, clear-cut case of a beneficial mutation even when helped along with artificial selection by intelligent intervention where it resulted in some new or nascent limb, tissue, or organ.
This is consistent with the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics and the time arrow of entropy where we see that every last thing in the whole universe is slowing deteriorating towards less complexity. The genomes of all living organisms no exception.
Remind us...is lactose tolerance beneficial or harmful? Does the ability to eat ice cream in any way harm your ability to survive to reproductive age and successfully procreate, bringing forth viable offspring? Simple question. Remember, you say mutations are only harmful. No such thing as neutral or beneficial. So...does Cherry Garcia negatively affect your testes?

And, even AiG recognizes the folly of the SLoT argument. You aren't as smart as Ken Ham?

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#117054 Feb 12, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
Because our time is much better spent on the actual science rather than waste it on the biased, hyped-up, exaggerated version of an already wrong theory by a bunch of crazed voodoo darwin zombees with an axe to grind.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#117055 Feb 12, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
I just showed that rejection of Gibbons paper on the basis of heteroplasmy is wrong
But you just trundle on...
Marshmallow terminator
I don't think that you did. I am sure that I would have noticed if you did something like that.

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#117056 Feb 12, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
When people are liars and stupid we call them that.
You for example have continually posted a list of lies that you know has been falsified. That makes you a liar. You can no longer claim to be merely an ignorant idiot.
Please note, we all offer to educate you people many times over. Our offer is always rejected.
And Urb we have offered you papers. Unfortunately you ARE too stupid to understand them. You gave the perfect example. You need to go back to the basics of science. You can't learn evolution if you don't know the basics.
I have forgotten more about evolution that you will ever learn. And none of my 99 reasons have ever been refuted here. You can't just say it's been refuted without ever having refuted it. You have to actually say something. You sure have a lot of comments next to your name but you hardly ever say anything.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#117057 Feb 12, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Because our time is much better spent on the actual science rather than waste it on the biased, hyped-up, exaggerated version of an already wrong theory by a bunch of crazed voodoo darwin zombees with an axe to grind.
I can translate this. Urban Cowflop is admitting that he has nothing.

It is nice to hear this Urb. That means you cannot legitimately complain about TalkOrigins being used against you.

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#117058 Feb 12, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Remind us...is lactose tolerance beneficial or harmful? Does the ability to eat ice cream in any way harm your ability to survive to reproductive age and successfully procreate, bringing forth viable offspring? Simple question. Remember, you say mutations are only harmful. No such thing as neutral or beneficial. So...does Cherry Garcia negatively affect your testes?
And, even AiG recognizes the folly of the SLoT argument. You aren't as smart as Ken Ham?
Dodge.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#117059 Feb 12, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think that you did. I am sure that I would have noticed if you did something like that.
WRONG

Notice it...you did

Heteroplasmy
Its universal
Not unique to the case in Gibbons paper

Level 9

Everett, WA

#117060 Feb 12, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG
Notice it...you did
Heteroplasmy
Its universal
Not unique to the case in Gibbons paper
Good, so you admit you have nothing.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#117061 Feb 13, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>High end physics requires adherence to standards of science. Evolution is nothing but stories fabricated by intellectuals who think they are practicing science.
So you know nothing about evolution nor the theory that explains it. Good to know, your opinions on the matter are useless then.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#117062 Feb 13, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
So then why do you buy into creationism?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#117063 Feb 13, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I have forgotten more about evolution that you will ever learn. And none of my 99 reasons have ever been refuted here. You can't just say it's been refuted without ever having refuted it. You have to actually say something. You sure have a lot of comments next to your name but you hardly ever say anything.
Why must you lie so much?
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#117064 Feb 13, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Good, so you admit you have nothing.
You have no idea what I'm taking about, do you?
Since there's nothing on Snorting pigeons.com for you to clumsily look up about this subject
.....you're essentially stuffed
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#117065 Feb 13, 2013
HTS wrote:
The existence of specified complexity is self evident proof of a designer.
It's not self-evident, it must be demonstrated. Can you specify how complexity is measured in an objective manner via the scientific method and then tell us how that demarcation line between designed and non-design was determined?
HTS wrote:
Why don't you demand proof that DNA can self organize? We're is your scientific evidence that such a "force" exists?
Maternity wards.

Remember, abio is not relevant to the validity of evolution. We can even hand it to you on a plate - abio occured by Goddidit with magic. There. I give it to you. Evolution still occurs because there is life. We know this because abio happened and we observe life evolving. We couldn't care less that God magically poofed it into existence.

Now tell us how CSI demonstrates magical god-poofing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 51 min Blitzking 133,975
How would creationists explain... 1 hr Hidingfromyou 434
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 3 hr Chimney1 678
Science News (Sep '13) Wed positronium 2,944
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) Dec 22 Chimney1 13,624
Creationism coming to Ohio classrooms? Not with... Dec 20 nobody 7
24 hour dental emergency (Nov '13) Dec 19 Zach 4
More from around the web