Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 178,093

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Read more

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#116995 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you post "77,000 peer reviewed scientific journal articles" when you haven't studied any of them yourself? Can you defend any of their claims yourself by scientific logic? No... you are just a mindless sheep who's predetermined to "go-with-the-flow".

While no where near 77,000 I have read many of them. Of course one would be more than you have read.

Simply state you have nothing. You cannot dispute the fact that Evolution is an observed fact, nor do you have an explanation for the facts that are superior to the ToE. You know when you put out your opinion you get shot down, in a merciless way, and you are just desperate for a chance to do the same.

Sorry, I am holding all the cards. Ante up or shut up.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116996 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>I'm still waiting, Dogen... all you're capable of doing is spewing cheap recycled rhetoric. You think I'm anti-science because I question unsubstantiated hypotheses? If you think that man evolved from an ape, then show me the math that proves it, or shut up.

Still nothing, eh? You are resigned to not even trying anymore. You know you have nothing. I know you have nothing. Everyone here knows you have nothing.

You are too chicken to even TRY to respond.

Here it is again. Let me know if you get up the nerve.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
No, your not. You just want a forum to spew your value based opinions. You are not interested in facts, nor data and especially not science. You have demonstrated that you are not acquainted with the scientific method and that you love to build and bash straw men.
The science, if you were really interested, is out there. But instead of looking for and at it you have filled your head with silly, religious based, ideas from common creationist (pseudoscience) sites. If that is what you wish to do with your brain then by all means. But don't pretend to us that you have a clue as to what science really says because you have not the first clue.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116997 Feb 12, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
?!!!
Why not just get some tests done on Dino bones? There's plenty around.

In fairness to Urb,.....

Oh never mind. He misrepresents us all the time.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116998 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text> My attempts to engage in honest debate on this forum have only confirmed what I already suspected... A belief in evolution is nothing more than a religion founded on a predetermined committment to atheism.

This is a defensive lie to protect your ego from the beatings you have been taking. You can't even stand up to those of us here who aren't atheists.

It is also confirmation bias even if true.

Evolution is still a Fact with evidence that has been observed in multiple ways.

Crying about it won't change that.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116999 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Dinosaur fossils are essentially never subjected to direct radiometric dating methods.

And WHY is that? There is a SIMPLE SCIENTIFIC reason. A sharp 6th grader would probably know it. Do you?

Hello? Hello?

Is this thing on?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#117000 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Dude, you are predictably resorting to the same recylced BS that you've been parroting for months. The foundation of your beliefs is "evolutiondidit with magic". Your vain attempts to invoke science to substantiate your religious beliefs are transparent. No amount of evo-babbling can hide your true motives... the justification of a belief system through attempted intimidation and smokescreens.

Polly wanna cracker? Do you keep this denial rant some place handy so you can cut and paste it?

You have FAILED to put forth any evidence that would bring evolution (fact or theory) into question.

You have failed to provide any research.

You have failed to make your name calling (religion, belief system atheist,.....) stick

You have no mechanism for creationism.

You are fighting with exactly nothing so you are down to name calling and a number of assorted logical fallacies (ad hominem, poisoning the well, straw-man, appeal to ignorance, circular reasoning, confirmation bias and red herring to mention only a few of your favorites).

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#117001 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>It's amusing how atheists cannot logically defend any of their precepts without bringing up religion.

I am bemused that you can't defend ANYTHING and only have name calling left.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#117002 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Dude, you're engaging in evo-babbling again. You are failing to make a single valid point.

[writer has no response]
therefore
[Hand wave].

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#117003 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Dude, dispense with the BS and for once formulate a single logical thought. Do you have any scientific evidence that man evolved from a worm? No, you have none... you have your religion, and nothing else. If there's some science behind your beliefs, then let's see it. All I ever hear from you are childish insults and vain attempts to intimidate detractors of your cherished religion of atheism.
More nothing.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#117004 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
I see that you're embracing the perverted logic of atheism. You imagine that pits and crags in cliffs and ocean waves are just as complex as DNA. I'm sorry, Dude, concepts of order and complexity cannot be rationalized away by a worldview of complete relativism.

Even more nothing.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#117005 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Predictably, Dude, once your religion is dismantled by the cruel sword of scientific logic and you are left naked with nothing to defend, you resort to calling your opponent a "liar". It's amusing to watch an atheist self-implode. I've provided you with mountains of scientific evidence that systematically debunks every major tenet of evolution, from the failed junk DNA debacle to the fallacy of radiometric dating. What have you done with this information? You haven't objectively evaluated it. You've only increased your ranting and name calling because I've insulted your religion. You have been pierced to the core because you know that your beliefs cannot be defended by any objective science.

This is just a lie. You have posted op-ed pieces from the likes of creation.com . Those are not science. They are usually not even informed opinion. Science is based on EVIDENCE. Evidence comes first, then the theory, then verification (or not).

A better question is why you have not looked at the evidence for evolution and only at the evidence against it. Almost always it is due to a fundamentalist religious bias.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#117006 Feb 12, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Does the ATP Synthase Motor appear designed? Is the information, code, control mechanisms and transcription/translation of DNA into proteins appear designed? Do you even know what I'm talking about? Or do you believe it is all just a blob of goo?

It appears to be the product of 'modular evolution'.

No.

Yes

No (though the question is disingenuous).
LowellGuy

Oakland Gardens, NY

#117007 Feb 12, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Does the ATP Synthase Motor appear designed? Is the information, code, control mechanisms and transcription/translation of DNA into proteins appear designed? Do you even know what I'm talking about? Or do you believe it is all just a blob of goo?
Does Criss Angel appear to levitate? Apparent design doesn't matter. It's what can be supported by evidence.
HTS

Williston, ND

#117008 Feb 12, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Not so far as can be determined. Otherwise you would be able to provide us with the mechanisms responsible for the design process and the evidence of them.
I see your response didn't actually address what I said whatsoever.
<quoted text>
Yes I know what you're talking about. You're engaged in creationist pseudo-babble followed by straw-man while actively avoiding the actual content of my post.
Ya know, like usual.
What a load of BS. You can't provide any evidence as to how evolution producd the transcription/translation process. What you all science is nothing more than religion.
HTS

Williston, ND

#117009 Feb 12, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Still nothing, eh? You are resigned to not even trying anymore. You know you have nothing. I know you have nothing. Everyone here knows you have nothing.
You are too chicken to even TRY to respond.
Here it is again. Let me know if you get up the nerve.
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
No, your not. You just want a forum to spew your value based opinions. You are not interested in facts, nor data and especially not science. You have demonstrated that you are not acquainted with the scientific method and that you love to build and bash straw men.
The science, if you were really interested, is out there. But instead of looking for and at it you have filled your head with silly, religious based, ideas from common creationist (pseudoscience) sites. If that is what you wish to do with your brain then by all means. But don't pretend to us that you have a clue as to what science really says because you have not the first clue.
More aimless evo-babbling. When you have actual scientific evidence, I'll acknowledge it. To this point, you have produced nothing.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

North Miami Beach, FL

#117010 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>More aimless evo-babbling. When you have actual scientific evidence, I'll acknowledge it. To this point, you have produced nothing.
You see what I mean? He's just going to say that over and over.

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#117011 Feb 12, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Does Criss Angel appear to levitate? Apparent design doesn't matter. It's what can be supported by evidence.
What would you accept as evidence of design? Specifically the things I mentioned? What criteria fails? What passes?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#117012 Feb 12, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
What would you accept as evidence of design? Specifically the things I mentioned? What criteria fails? What passes?
The proven existence of a potential designer would be a darned good start. I'll wait ...

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#117013 Feb 12, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Biology is not an entertaining magic show. The ATP synthase motor can be observed and analyzed and disected and studied as can the DNA molecule. Now answer the damn question.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#117014 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>What a load of BS. You can't provide any evidence as to how evolution producd the transcription/translation process. What you all science is nothing more than religion.

Even if correct (and it isn't) it is not necessary for a theory to explain everything to be a valid theory. Where science ignorant creationists like yourself come up with this notion I have no idea.

None of the theories of gravity explain everything that is observed. But still things fall to the ground.

There is no information that falsifies evolution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 7 min dirtclod 154,634
News Darwin on the rocks (Sep '14) 52 min Chimney1 901
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Dogen 17,917
Are Asians/whites more evolved? (Sep '07) Thu Dogen 1,714
News Another Successful Prediction of Intelligent De... Thu MikeF 1
News Intelligent Design: Corey Lee Wed Paul Porter1 1
News Evolution debate vote (Mar '09) Mar 25 MikeF 3,394
More from around the web