Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116953 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You continue to parrot cheap rhetoric.
You are at least a master of something. The art of projection.
HTS wrote:
I'm still waiting for some science.
No you're not. You couldn't give a fig about science. You're only here to rant against infidels to make you feel better. After all, the Bible "predicted" that there would be people who would disagree with some of its BS, remember?

Thus your purpose here is explained.

Thank God for infidels! You'd be nothing without them.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116954 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Nice dodge.
Nice show of your hypocrisy.(shrug)
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116955 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You've been spewing the same regurgitated aheist BS over and over and over again. I'm asking for science.
How is orthology atheistic?

If you're asking for science then why do you keep on crying about atheists?

If you're asking for science how come you only offer your own incredulity and denial and never provide a coherent rational rebuttal instead?
HTS

Englewood, CO

#116956 Feb 12, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I can.
I did this for you 6 months ago.
You failed to address that too, and just went on your "NO NO NO NO NO! ATHEISM!!! DARWINIST ATHEISTS!!! YOU PHILOSOPHICALLY REJECT IDC!!!!!!! WHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!" as usual.
<quoted text>
You don't even have an explanation for complexity. Goddidit with magic. The end.
You have a WHO, not a HOW. Without a "how" you HAVE no "logical deduction".
How are ocean waves made, HTS?
How are the complex pits and crags in a long stretch of cliff rocks made?
Hands and chisel?
<quoted text>
Ah, I see you're completely ignorant of the nuances of his religious/theological opinions and therefore can't understand his posts unless YOU rest on a presumption of atheism on his part.
He simply knows the difference between his theological opinions and demonstrable science. You don't.
That's YOUR problem. Not anyone else's.
Dude, you are predictably resorting to the same recylced BS that you've been parroting for months. The foundation of your beliefs is "evolutiondidit with magic". Your vain attempts to invoke science to substantiate your religious beliefs are transparent. No amount of evo-babbling can hide your true motives... the justification of a belief system through attempted intimidation and smokescreens.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116957 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Blah Blah Blah. "you're wrong and I'm right"...
Yup, that is your modus operandi. Still waiting for you to offer us some science.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#116958 Feb 12, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
You are at least a master of something. The art of projection.
<quoted text>
No you're not. You couldn't give a fig about science. You're only here to rant against infidels to make you feel better. After all, the Bible "predicted" that there would be people who would disagree with some of its BS, remember?
Thus your purpose here is explained.
Thank God for infidels! You'd be nothing without them.
It's amusing how atheists cannot logically defend any of their precepts without bringing up religion.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116959 Feb 12, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
That's all Dogen has.
Evidence.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>Trust me.
Because you too are a typical liar for Jesus.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
I stopped listening to him long ago.
Indeed. And everyone else. In fact you decided this before you even made your first post.

That's why years later there's still a whole bunch of stuff you've yet to address.(shrug)
HTS

Englewood, CO

#116960 Feb 12, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're asking for science then why do you keep on crying about atheists?
If you're asking for science how come you only offer your own incredulity and denial and never provide a coherent rational rebuttal instead?
Dude, you're engaging in evo-babbling again. You are failing to make a single valid point.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116961 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>I'm still waiting, Dogen... all you're capable of doing is spewing cheap recycled rhetoric.
Go boom. Irony meter duz it.
HTS wrote:
You think I'm anti-science because I question unsubstantiated hypotheses?
No. We think you're anti-science because you DON'T question substantiated hypotheses, like those of the theory of evolution.

That's why you've never even TRIED actually debating and discussing the subject.
HTS wrote:
If you think that man evolved from an ape, then show me the math that proves it, or shut up.
Math doesn't "prove" evolution. Biology DEMONSTRATES it. Then APPLIED math helps.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#116962 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Dinosaur fossils are essentially never subjected to direct radiometric dating methods.
Bones under 60,000 years of age can be carbon 14 tested so what's stopping you, unless you believe they are older than that?
HTS

Englewood, CO

#116963 Feb 12, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, that is your modus operandi. Still waiting for you to offer us some science.
Dude, dispense with the BS and for once formulate a single logical thought. Do you have any scientific evidence that man evolved from a worm? No, you have none... you have your religion, and nothing else. If there's some science behind your beliefs, then let's see it. All I ever hear from you are childish insults and vain attempts to intimidate detractors of your cherished religion of atheism.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116964 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text> My attempts to engage in honest debate on this forum have only confirmed what I already suspected... A belief in evolution is nothing more than a religion founded on a predetermined committment to atheism.
Except that you're lying as usual.(shrug)

What ACTUALLY happens is that we provide evidence for evolution. You DON'T address it, and merely disregard it as "atheism", despite the fact that atheism doesn't even have to be mentioned whatsoever.

THEN you complain that we don't take IDC seriously. This is DESPITE the fact that we ASK you for scientific evidence for it, which you then FAIL to provide.

Then BECAUSE of your EPIC FAIL, we reject your hypothesis and conclude that our acceptance of evolution instead "must" be based in atheism. Even though that many Christians also have no problem accepting evolution.

In short, you project your own religious failings onto others.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#116965 Feb 12, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
How are ocean waves made, HTS?
How are the complex pits and crags in a long stretch of cliff rocks made?
Hands and chisel?
<.
I see that you're embracing the perverted logic of atheism. You imagine that pits and crags in cliffs and ocean waves are just as complex as DNA. I'm sorry, Dude, concepts of order and complexity cannot be rationalized away by a worldview of complete relativism.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116966 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Dinosaur fossils are essentially never subjected to direct radiometric dating methods.
Isn't it funny how this is COMPLETELY and utterly irrelevant to the hypothesis of common ancestry?

The age of the Earth is a separate hypothesis. But funnily enough so many fundies cling to the absurdity of YECism because they claim that would not give evolution enough time to occur. But this does not actually address evolution's claims themselves.

So IF we had evidence for evolution (and we do), and the Earth WAS only 6,000 years old, evolution would STILL be valid.

And creationists believe this too. Of course if they knew anything at all about science they would understand the logical consequences of the arguments they make.

But they don't.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116967 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Dude, you are predictably resorting to the same recylced BS that you've been parroting for months. The foundation of your beliefs is "evolutiondidit with magic". Your vain attempts to invoke science to substantiate your religious beliefs are transparent. No amount of evo-babbling can hide your true motives... the justification of a belief system through attempted intimidation and smokescreens.
So you claim, yet you are unable to demonstrate any time at all that I have ever made a *positive* claim for atheism in any way shape or form.

Philosophically speaking I'm perfectly open to the possibility of a God(s). It's just that scientifically speaking you've epically failed to provide evidence.

Your failure does NOT make me an atheist.

But hey, keep calling me whatever you like. You fundies can't help but lie.(shrug)
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116968 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>It's amusing how atheists cannot logically defend any of their precepts without bringing up religion.
Go take it up with them. I'm not the one who brought it up. YOU did.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#116969 Feb 12, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that you're lying as usual.(shrug)
What ACTUALLY happens is that we provide evidence for evolution. You DON'T address it, and merely disregard it as "atheism", despite the fact that atheism doesn't even have to be mentioned whatsoever.
THEN you complain that we don't take IDC seriously. This is DESPITE the fact that we ASK you for scientific evidence for it, which you then FAIL to provide.
Then BECAUSE of your EPIC FAIL, we reject your hypothesis and conclude that our acceptance of evolution instead "must" be based in atheism. Even though that many Christians also have no problem accepting evolution.
In short, you project your own religious failings onto others.
Predictably, Dude, once your religion is dismantled by the cruel sword of scientific logic and you are left naked with nothing to defend, you resort to calling your opponent a "liar". It's amusing to watch an atheist self-implode. I've provided you with mountains of scientific evidence that systematically debunks every major tenet of evolution, from the failed junk DNA debacle to the fallacy of radiometric dating. What have you done with this information? You haven't objectively evaluated it. You've only increased your ranting and name calling because I've insulted your religion. You have been pierced to the core because you know that your beliefs cannot be defended by any objective science.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116970 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Dude, you're engaging in evo-babbling again. You are failing to make a single valid point.
You're not even creative in your evasion. Do you just have all your posts copy-pasted on a file? You could never tell.

How is common ancestry atheistic?

What does atheism or theism have to do with science?

Do you also complain about weather-guys on TV attributing storms to high and low pressure systems and stuff instead of invoking Yahweh or Thor?

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#116971 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>A consensus opinion is not science. It is OPINION. When Einstein proproposed his theory of relativity, the CONSENSUS was proven WRONG.
A consensus that has lasted over 150 years is a pretty strong consensus.

Especially since creotards have been trying to tear it down for the same amount of time.

I wonder why they haven't been able to.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116972 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Dude, dispense with the BS and for once formulate a single logical thought. Do you have any scientific evidence that man evolved from a worm?
Have I ever made that claim or is that just your usual old caricature? Ah yes, of course it is.
HTS wrote:
No, you have none... you have your religion, and nothing else.
No, I have evidence. You've never addressed it.

Ever.

Not once.

At all.

Not even a ickle widdle tiny bit.
HTS wrote:
If there's some science behind your beliefs, then let's see it.
Why ask for what has already been provided over and over?

Why ask for what you're not even interested in?

Why not actually address the evidence for once instead of just whining about mean old atheists?

It's quite amusing how dishonest you are, considering that God is watching you. VERY closely...
HTS wrote:
All I ever hear from you are childish insults and vain attempts to intimidate detractors of your cherished religion of atheism.
That's because that's only what you want to see. In the meantime all evidence I present is left unaddressed and all positive assertions of atheism made by me are invented by your tiny scared little uneducated mind.

Now THAT last part there WAS an insult.

Accurate, but still an insult.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 7 min renee 33,946
News ID Isn't Science, But That's the Least Of Its P... 26 min DanFromSmithville 31
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 39 min Don Barros Serrano 151,280
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 41 min DanFromSmithville 14,813
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 hr ChromiuMan 199,178
My Story Part 1 23 hr JanusBifrons 1
Evolution in action Jun 20 Darth Robo 9
More from around the web