Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#116933 Feb 12, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Minneapolis?!?!
Uuf Da!
My family's from a small town about 100 west of y'all (Renville, Mn), but I could NOT handle the winters there!
Meanwhile, in Orlando.....80+ degrees. Shorts on the weekend. Gotta love it!
I'm originally from Wisconsin, so I didn't know any better. I came to Minneapolis in my early twenties--again, didn't know any better. It wasn't until a few years after I bought a house that I began to suspect that I would eventually find the cold weather very disagreeable. Nice summers though.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#116934 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Cheap atheistic BS. All you can do is rant and scream that "evolution is a fact". I'm still waiting for some science to back up your ridiculous claims.
Once again, no dodges. You are a spoiled brat who is also an idiot. A simple condition was given to you. Your not meeting that condition is a tacit admission that you are wrong.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#116935 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Cheap atheistic BS. All you can do is rant and scream that "evolution is a fact". I'm still waiting for some science to back up your ridiculous claims.

The scientific method is quite clear on who bears the responsibility of disputing an established theory.

There are probably millions of articles, books, journals, museums with TRILLIONS of accumulated facts that all attest to both the FACT and the Theory of Evolution. You are free to look them up and dispute away. However, without a positive alternative explanation on your part you will simple be picking at nits. Evolution (the theory) has survived and thrived simply because it is the best (and only) theory that accounts for the accumulated evidence. The science backs that up and you know it.

Again I refer you to the scientific method.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#116936 Feb 12, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, no dodges. You are a spoiled brat who is also an idiot. A simple condition was given to you. Your not meeting that condition is a tacit admission that you are wrong.
Blah Blah Blah. "you're wrong and I'm right"... I'm asking for scientific evidence for evolution, not stories or name calling.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116937 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You've been spewing the same regurgitated aheist BS over and over and over again. I'm asking for science.

No, your not. You just want a forum to spew your value based opinions. You are not interested in facts, nor data and especially not science. You have demonstrated that you are not acquainted with the scientific method and that you love to build and bash straw men.

The science, if you were really interested, is out there. But instead of looking for and at it you have filled your head with silly, religious based, ideas from common creationist (pseudoscience) sites. If that is what you wish to do with your brain then by all means. But don't pretend to us that you have a clue as to what science really says because you have not the first clue.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116938 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Blah Blah Blah. "you're wrong and I'm right"... I'm asking for scientific evidence for evolution, not stories or name calling.

You want evidence? Okay. Here are over 77,000 peer review, scientific, journal articles on the subject. Get back with us after you have finished them.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...

No stories.
No name calling.

Not what you wanted, eh?
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

#116939 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Blah Blah Blah. "you're wrong and I'm right"... I'm asking for scientific evidence for evolution, not stories or name calling.
That's all Dogen has. Trust me. I stopped listening to him long ago.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#116940 Feb 12, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You want evidence? Okay. Here are over 77,000 peer review, scientific, journal articles on the subject. Get back with us after you have finished them.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...
No stories.
No name calling.
Not what you wanted, eh?
Why do you post "77,000 peer reviewed scientific journal articles" when you haven't studied any of them yourself? Can you defend any of their claims yourself by scientific logic? No... you are just a mindless sheep who's predetermined to "go-with-the-flow".
HTS

Englewood, CO

#116941 Feb 12, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
No, your not. You just want a forum to spew your value based opinions. You are not interested in facts, nor data and especially not science. You have demonstrated that you are not acquainted with the scientific method and that you love to build and bash straw men.
The science, if you were really interested, is out there. But instead of looking for and at it you have filled your head with silly, religious based, ideas from common creationist (pseudoscience) sites. If that is what you wish to do with your brain then by all means. But don't pretend to us that you have a clue as to what science really says because you have not the first clue.
I'm still waiting, Dogen... all you're capable of doing is spewing cheap recycled rhetoric. You think I'm anti-science because I question unsubstantiated hypotheses? If you think that man evolved from an ape, then show me the math that proves it, or shut up.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#116942 Feb 12, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just that it might be mildly interesting to have about a dozen separate, independantly done C-14 dating tests referreed by the U.S Supreme Court on some nice stinky fresh Dino meat. Settle this once and for all.
?!!!

Why not just get some tests done on Dino bones? There's plenty around.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#116943 Feb 12, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
That's all Dogen has. Trust me. I stopped listening to him long ago.
My attempts to engage in honest debate on this forum have only confirmed what I already suspected... A belief in evolution is nothing more than a religion founded on a predetermined committment to atheism.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#116944 Feb 12, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
?!!!
Why not just get some tests done on Dino bones? There's plenty around.
Dinosaur fossils are essentially never subjected to direct radiometric dating methods.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116945 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Dogen, HLA-DRB1 is nothing more than another tired example of molecular homology... and that argument has been soundly debunked years ago. If you have some science to back up your ridiculous claim that man evolved from apes, then let's hear it. Your smokescreens aren't working.
It was provided for you months ago, remember? You didn't address it. All you did was start whining about atheists.

Which as we all know (fundies included) only means that you don't like science cuz you think Goddidit with magic.

Kinda dumb of you to complain about science you know nothing about when you're a staunch advocate of magic wizards.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116946 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Dogen, you have failed to provide one iota of evidence that man evolved from lower forms of life.
"Lower"? You're talking altitude, right?
HTS wrote:
Instead of defending your religion of atheism, you attempt in vain to insult others.
See? You couldn't even get through two minutes without crying about them mean old atheists. You fundies sure love to shoot yourself in the foot.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116947 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Broad claims such as you are making are pointless. The entire foudation of Darwinism is founded on a PHILOSOPHICAL interpretation of observations. It is not a self evident fact that molecular homology, for example, indicates common descent. That conclusion is based on a metaphysical presupposition. If you read Origin of Species, Darwin repeatedly made references to his belief that nature DISPROVES intelligent design. That is RELIGION.
Darwin's religious opinions are irrelevant. So unless you can provide evidence that your "all-powerful" god is so limited that it must bow to your demands and not use evolution it seems your baseless religious opinions are just... well, baseless.

Especially in light of the fact you're unable to demonstrate that this invisible Jewish wizard of yours even exists.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116948 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Intellectual elites believe that EVOLUTIONDIDIT with magic... unless you can tell me how DNA can self-organize.
Your DNA self-organized. Once your mammy and pappy did the simple bit they just sat back and let you develop. There were no intelligent mechanisms (that we are scientifically aware of) that were required for your fundie carcass to develop.

Unless perchance you can tell us what those mechanisms were.

You'd be the first.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116949 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>How about actually defending what you assert utilizing scientific logic, rather than blindly posting links to articles that you don't even understand...
How about you go about actually falsifying evolution rather than relying on your baseless assertion that "It's all just wrong cuz you mean old atheists are mean!!!"
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116950 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You're living in fantasyland. Nothing in experimental science requires acceptance of evolutionary transmutation.
That last word. You keep on using it. I do not think it means what you think it means.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116951 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Pathetic dodge, SZ. You yet again fail to provide one iota of scientific evidence that evolution is even possible, let alone happened.
Pathetic dodge, Hilda. Yet again you fail to address evidence when it's presented and just cry "NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" for many many many MANY posts on end. It's actually rather tedious.

Instead you could try addressing the evidence for once.

You always actively avoid doing that for some reason.

Just like every other fundie.(shrug)
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#116952 Feb 12, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Intelligent design is the only proven force in the universe capable of creating complexity. You cannot point to one example observed by man where random forces can create complexity.
Yes I can.

I did this for you 6 months ago.

You failed to address that too, and just went on your "NO NO NO NO NO! ATHEISM!!! DARWINIST ATHEISTS!!! YOU PHILOSOPHICALLY REJECT IDC!!!!!!! WHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!" as usual.
HTS wrote:
You compare the logical deduction of a higher power creating DNA to the "easter bunny". Yet you, by rejecting ID, are forced into imagining even more counterintuitive explanations for complexity.
You don't even have an explanation for complexity. Goddidit with magic. The end.

You have a WHO, not a HOW. Without a "how" you HAVE no "logical deduction".

How are ocean waves made, HTS?

How are the complex pits and crags in a long stretch of cliff rocks made?

Hands and chisel?
HTS wrote:
Why do you claim to believe in God, yet deny that he had anythiing to do with creation?
Ah, I see you're completely ignorant of the nuances of his religious/theological opinions and therefore can't understand his posts unless YOU rest on a presumption of atheism on his part.

He simply knows the difference between his theological opinions and demonstrable science. You don't.

That's YOUR problem. Not anyone else's.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 32 min Rosa_Winkel 16,535
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr DanFromSmithville 201,841
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Chimney1 40,886
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 5 hr ChristineM 308
The conscious God or the inanimate nature 9 hr Fear-God 71
Sun could not have formed as thought Fri Creationtruth 1
Scientists create vast 3-D map of universe, val... Fri MIDutch 24
More from around the web