Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,162

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#116783 Feb 11, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Post the definition of cosmological constant.
What difference would the cosmological constant make if your gravity/spin story is true? You'd have to completely rewrite the laws of physics.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#116784 Feb 11, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
She also hasn't done a C14 test on it. What is she afraid of?

Yea! Shame on her. She wants to use her tiny sample to do actual scientifically valuable research on.

How shameful.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#116785 Feb 11, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Should a C-14 test be done on absolutely every single thing that is discovered? Why don't you help us out and tell us what a C-14 test needn't be run on, and who's going to pay for all those tests? Thanks in advance.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#116786 Feb 11, 2013
The following is the last line on the second page of the article. What true scientist would just quit on the verge of more knowledge, however unlikely?
"""Truth is, Schweitzer hasn't even bothered to look for DNA."""
2nd page---http://discovermagazine .com/2006/apr/dinosaur-dna#.UR ky8be9Kc0
The same could be said of you and your "hypothesis." Why stop trying to figure things out when you could be on the verge of a major discovery? Go do the work and collect your Nobel prize already.

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#116787 Feb 11, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
The tests are only a few hundred bucks. Seems like Creation Scientists™ would have done a couple... Oh yeah, They don't do research.

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#116788 Feb 11, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Her paper said so.
And there's this from the Smithsonian article:

She’s horrified that some Christians accuse her of hiding the true meaning of her data.“They treat you really bad,” she says.“They twist your words and they manipulate your data.”

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/...
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#116789 Feb 11, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I could say ...
Russ sells out any objectivity with respect to science due to his religious beliefs
But I wouldn't be that immature, obviously
Well done, Mugwimp
Well done

We'll make a man out of you yet!

Now, all that remains, is for you to become a creationist

THAT'LL put hairs on your chest

Because, you see

Only real men are creationists

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116790 Feb 11, 2013
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
And there's this from the Smithsonian article:
She’s horrified that some Christians accuse her of hiding the true meaning of her data.“They treat you really bad,” she says.“They twist your words and they manipulate your data.”
Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/...

Particularly interesting as she is not an atheist, per se, and believes in some form of god.
One way or another

United States

#116791 Feb 11, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
The writer of the piece quoted her as saying she needed funding. As far as all of science, they are afraid of our fully corrupt gov, that wants all power for itself. Right now religion holds quite a bit, still.

Even religious scientists know they can only push so hard, because the gov can take away their tax exempt status.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

North Miami Beach, FL

#116792 Feb 11, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Should a C-14 test be done on absolutely every single thing that is discovered? Why don't you help us out and tell us what a C-14 test needn't be run on, and who's going to pay for all those tests? Thanks in advance.
It's just that it might be mildly interesting to have about a dozen separate, independantly done C-14 dating tests referreed by the U.S Supreme Court on some nice stinky fresh Dino meat. Settle this once and for all.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

North Miami Beach, FL

#116793 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
The writer of the piece quoted her as saying she needed funding. As far as all of science, they are afraid of our fully corrupt gov, that wants all power for itself. Right now religion holds quite a bit, still.
Even religious scientists know they can only push so hard, because the gov can take away their tax exempt status.
Somehow, I don't think money is the problem. It more about a morbid fear of the unknown. Can you imagine what would happen if she sequenced the DNA and C14-dated the dino flesh and got the results we all expect she will? Holy cow, they'd probably have to cancel the Darwin Day Fesitivities.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#116794 Feb 11, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Particularly interesting as she is not an atheist, per se, and believes in some form of god.
Actually, the original article from Discovery has her describing heself as 'Evangelical'. She appears to have the rare combination of a high degree of faith in God, and the ability to think logically about the evidence He (if "He" exists) left us.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#116795 Feb 11, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just that it might be mildly interesting to have about a dozen separate, independantly done C-14 dating tests referreed by the U.S Supreme Court on some nice stinky fresh Dino meat. Settle this once and for all.
"Supreme Court"?!?!

You really cannot be this stupid.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116796 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>

Paranoia.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116797 Feb 11, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

It would not settle anything. That is the point. Creationists always find an excuse. The tests would come back greater than 60k years and that would be proof that the earth is only 65k years old! Or there would be cover-ups and conspiracies and bias, OH MY!

You know all the labs are in cahoots with da evolootionists!

LOL.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116798 Feb 11, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Somehow, I don't think money is the problem. It more about a morbid fear of the unknown.

Money isn't the issue. Subjecting a priceless artifact to a useless and destructive test is.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text> Can you imagine what would happen if she sequenced the DNA and C14-dated the dino flesh and got the results we all expect she will? Holy cow, they'd probably have to cancel the Darwin Day Fesitivities.

They would have to throw away nearly every science text in the world and would have nothing to replace them with. Mary would win the Nobel prize.

But that isn't going to happen.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116799 Feb 11, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the original article from Discovery has her describing heself as 'Evangelical'. She appears to have the rare combination of a high degree of faith in God, and the ability to think logically about the evidence He (if "He" exists) left us.

I could not remember the details so I was purposely vague. I just remembered she was a Christian of some strip.

I do know some fundies that know how to think logically. Actually, I have a friend who went to the same fundy Church I went to when we were younger. He is now an atheist.
DaytonClevelanda reanews

Murfreesboro, TN

#116800 Feb 11, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
It's funny you mention Ed Decker, who happens to be a fundamentalist Christian. Would you or any of your other sources happen to be creationists? As bear in mind that the original creationist claim that all of humanity have "fallen" from grace descended from the original two "perfect" humans, most often portrayed as blue eyed white people, is PROFOUNDLY racist.
Scripture does not describe Adam nor Eve's personal appearance. Not to humiliate you for Biblical ignorace! Scripture states that there is neithr male nor female, Jew nor Greek, in the body of Christ. This is contrary to your false accusation of Christian being racist. Scripture also tells the story of God punishing Moses sister Miriam for speaking against his marriage to an African racial minority concerning their races. The Bible has never been racist, and if you bear any wisdom within yourself you will avoid the uneducated individuals that taught these lies about Christianity to you. facebook Carrie Geren Scoggins
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#116801 Feb 11, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I could not remember the details so I was purposely vague. I just remembered she was a Christian of some strip.
I do know some fundies that know how to think logically. Actually, I have a friend who went to the same fundy Church I went to when we were younger. He is now an atheist.
That is disgusting

Was that due to evolution?
Kong

Kansas City, MO

#116802 Feb 11, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the original article from Discovery has her describing himself as 'Evangelical'. She appears to have the rare combination of a high degree of faith in God, and the ability to think logically about the evidence He (if "He" exists) left us.
Shes a spook. Humans believe whatever they are told, that's crystal clear. Creation and Evolution are not reality based. They are reactions to fear, from fear of the truth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 21 min Blitzking 131,833
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 3 hr Charles Idemi 445
What you should know about Tuesday's vote on ev... (Feb '08) 7 hr IAMIOOWAN 516
How would creationists explain... 8 hr Hidingfromyou 286
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 11 hr Brian_G 13,614
Science News (Sep '13) 14 hr positronium 2,939
sea-dwelling dinosaur found alive (Apr '10) 16 hr The Dude 87
More from around the web