Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Read more: www.scientificblogging.com 178,504

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Read more

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

North Miami Beach, FL

#116792 Feb 11, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Should a C-14 test be done on absolutely every single thing that is discovered? Why don't you help us out and tell us what a C-14 test needn't be run on, and who's going to pay for all those tests? Thanks in advance.
It's just that it might be mildly interesting to have about a dozen separate, independantly done C-14 dating tests referreed by the U.S Supreme Court on some nice stinky fresh Dino meat. Settle this once and for all.

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#116793 Feb 11, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
The writer of the piece quoted her as saying she needed funding. As far as all of science, they are afraid of our fully corrupt gov, that wants all power for itself. Right now religion holds quite a bit, still.
Even religious scientists know they can only push so hard, because the gov can take away their tax exempt status.
Somehow, I don't think money is the problem. It more about a morbid fear of the unknown. Can you imagine what would happen if she sequenced the DNA and C14-dated the dino flesh and got the results we all expect she will? Holy cow, they'd probably have to cancel the Darwin Day Fesitivities.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#116794 Feb 11, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Particularly interesting as she is not an atheist, per se, and believes in some form of god.
Actually, the original article from Discovery has her describing heself as 'Evangelical'. She appears to have the rare combination of a high degree of faith in God, and the ability to think logically about the evidence He (if "He" exists) left us.

Orlando

#116795 Feb 11, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just that it might be mildly interesting to have about a dozen separate, independantly done C-14 dating tests referreed by the U.S Supreme Court on some nice stinky fresh Dino meat. Settle this once and for all.
"Supreme Court"?!?!

You really cannot be this stupid.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#116796 Feb 11, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
The writer of the piece quoted her as saying she needed funding. As far as all of science, they are afraid of our fully corrupt gov, that wants all power for itself. Right now religion holds quite a bit, still.
Even religious scientists know they can only push so hard, because the gov can take away their tax exempt status.

Paranoia.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116797 Feb 11, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

It would not settle anything. That is the point. Creationists always find an excuse. The tests would come back greater than 60k years and that would be proof that the earth is only 65k years old! Or there would be cover-ups and conspiracies and bias, OH MY!

You know all the labs are in cahoots with da evolootionists!

LOL.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116798 Feb 11, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Somehow, I don't think money is the problem. It more about a morbid fear of the unknown.

Money isn't the issue. Subjecting a priceless artifact to a useless and destructive test is.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text> Can you imagine what would happen if she sequenced the DNA and C14-dated the dino flesh and got the results we all expect she will? Holy cow, they'd probably have to cancel the Darwin Day Fesitivities.

They would have to throw away nearly every science text in the world and would have nothing to replace them with. Mary would win the Nobel prize.

But that isn't going to happen.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116799 Feb 11, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the original article from Discovery has her describing heself as 'Evangelical'. She appears to have the rare combination of a high degree of faith in God, and the ability to think logically about the evidence He (if "He" exists) left us.

I could not remember the details so I was purposely vague. I just remembered she was a Christian of some strip.

I do know some fundies that know how to think logically. Actually, I have a friend who went to the same fundy Church I went to when we were younger. He is now an atheist.
DaytonClevelanda reanews

Murfreesboro, TN

#116800 Feb 11, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
It's funny you mention Ed Decker, who happens to be a fundamentalist Christian. Would you or any of your other sources happen to be creationists? As bear in mind that the original creationist claim that all of humanity have "fallen" from grace descended from the original two "perfect" humans, most often portrayed as blue eyed white people, is PROFOUNDLY racist.
Scripture does not describe Adam nor Eve's personal appearance. Not to humiliate you for Biblical ignorace! Scripture states that there is neithr male nor female, Jew nor Greek, in the body of Christ. This is contrary to your false accusation of Christian being racist. Scripture also tells the story of God punishing Moses sister Miriam for speaking against his marriage to an African racial minority concerning their races. The Bible has never been racist, and if you bear any wisdom within yourself you will avoid the uneducated individuals that taught these lies about Christianity to you. facebook Carrie Geren Scoggins
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#116801 Feb 11, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I could not remember the details so I was purposely vague. I just remembered she was a Christian of some strip.
I do know some fundies that know how to think logically. Actually, I have a friend who went to the same fundy Church I went to when we were younger. He is now an atheist.
That is disgusting

Was that due to evolution?
Kong

Kansas City, MO

#116802 Feb 11, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the original article from Discovery has her describing himself as 'Evangelical'. She appears to have the rare combination of a high degree of faith in God, and the ability to think logically about the evidence He (if "He" exists) left us.
Shes a spook. Humans believe whatever they are told, that's crystal clear. Creation and Evolution are not reality based. They are reactions to fear, from fear of the truth.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#116803 Feb 11, 2013
DaytonClevelandareanews wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture does not describe Adam nor Eve's personal appearance. Not to humiliate you for Biblical ignorace! Scripture states that there is neithr male nor female, Jew nor Greek, in the body of Christ. This is contrary to your false accusation of Christian being racist. Scripture also tells the story of God punishing Moses sister Miriam for speaking against his marriage to an African racial minority concerning their races. The Bible has never been racist, and if you bear any wisdom within yourself you will avoid the uneducated individuals that taught these lies about Christianity to you. facebook Carrie Geren Scoggins
Adam and Eve were likely mid-brown skin tone
Carrie Geren Scoggins

Murfreesboro, TN

#116804 Feb 11, 2013
For the Christian hater wanting direct quotes, Darwin's "In The Decent Of Man," is where several of his racist statements can be found, for example in this text he writes "The caucasian Race is the highest evolved race," then states "and eventually the highest evolved races will enhialate the lesser evolved races." This quote is from Darwin himself, and not from Christian authors. However, of the Christian authors that I have listed in the above posting, all do have footnotes or bibliographies citing their sources of information so individuals such as yourself can never falsely accuse them of "lying," as you have! Carrie Geren Scoggins facebook page, on my facebook page read decoding neanderthals posting that I wrote.

Orlando

#116805 Feb 11, 2013
Kong wrote:
<quoted text>Shes a spook. Humans believe whatever they are told, that's crystal clear. Creation and Evolution are not reality based. They are reactions to fear, from fear of the truth.
She is entitled to her own belief, as is anyone. But as I stated, she does not appear to allow her faith to dictate her understanding of the facts as presented to her.

...and I would appreciate you choosing a different screen name.

Orlando

#116806 Feb 11, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
There was no biblical Adam and Eve (first humans).

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116807 Feb 11, 2013
Carrie Geren Scoggins wrote:
For the Christian hater wanting direct quotes, Darwin's "In The Decent Of Man," is where several of his racist statements can be found, for example in this text he writes "The caucasian Race is the highest evolved race," then states "and eventually the highest evolved races will enhialate the lesser evolved races." This quote is from Darwin himself, and not from Christian authors. However, of the Christian authors that I have listed in the above posting, all do have footnotes or bibliographies citing their sources of information so individuals such as yourself can never falsely accuse them of "lying," as you have! Carrie Geren Scoggins facebook page, on my facebook page read decoding neanderthals posting that I wrote.

Thanks for the spam.

How many times have you been refuted.

You are the LIAR.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116808 Feb 11, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>

There is an adam and eve in the bible (aka biblical).

They were not real people, but they are biblical.

Level 6

North Miami Beach, FL

#116809 Feb 11, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, probably a sort of amalgamation of the races if you will.

It's interesting that racism always comes up in these forums.

I appreciate inter-racial marriages, as really, the ideal situation. If you want robust, healthy children, marry a different race altogether. The thinking being it would greatly reduce the chance of recessive genes surfacing.

Orlando

#116810 Feb 11, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
To clarify: No "First Couple" as depicted in the Bible.

And PUH-LEEZE don't try to use "Mitochondrial Eve" "Y-Chromosome Adam" as proof. An attempt to use these figures, would only further prove your ignorance.
One way or another

United States

#116811 Feb 11, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Somehow, I don't think money is the problem. It more about a morbid fear of the unknown. Can you imagine what would happen if she sequenced the DNA and C14-dated the dino flesh and got the results we all expect she will? Holy cow, they'd probably have to cancel the Darwin Day Fesitivities.
She was not dressed in the blood of evolution or the conventional do's and don'ts, of the traditional road, that's why she did it the way she did. No other scientist ever caused such an uproar, because they know what will cost them.

Now that she has been attacked and threatened from both sides and she knows where her funding is coming from, she simply fell in line.

Yes, it is about money and fear.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 min Zog Has-fallen 18,456
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 8 min Dogen 159,649
News Darwin on the rocks (Sep '14) 19 min In Six Days 1,059
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 22 hr Dogen 141,211
Humans DID evolve from apes! (Oct '14) Fri Chimney1 68
Poll How Do You View The New Millerite Adventist Inv... Apr 13 Zog Has-fallen 1
Genetic 'Adam' and 'Eve' Uncovered - live science (Sep '13) Apr 13 Denisova 360
More from around the web