Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 5,681)

Showing posts 113,601 - 113,620 of171,269
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that is our Jimbo. I don't usually bother to respond to his peculiar brand of idiocy these days.
What do you mean? You resond to him constantly. You even changed your moniker because of him.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
....Whether something is debunked or not is entirely up to the reader to decide....
No, it's up to the facts to decide. Since you don't like using those, you get debunked a lot.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Alien Outlaw wrote:
<quoted text>Lets just for aurgument, say that a craft came within 10ft, put us(more than one)to sleep and cruzed over us without a sound. Could that in your mind ever be possible. Put on your tinfoil hat and try to think.
You'd think a lot of other people in the neighborhood would have noticed this event.
Alien Outlaw

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Looking at the one planet for which we have sufficient information what can we deduce? Out of the hundreds of millions of species that have lived on this planet for over 3 billion years, one one life form had had the intellect and knowledge to even begin to grapple with these problems. If that one went away how long before another so capable species might come along? We COULD have a universe teaming with life but with few others having developed even our rudimentary mental skills.
Reading every text book you can get your hands on is great....knowledge is power.So far, a lot of comments are text book based.....not to much going out on a limb, thinking what if, just regurgitating text. Lets imagine that a third law of human existence was discovered. That law states, "Deep space advanced alien intelligence is proof of human existence and all life on earth". Contact was made using an alien code discovered by accident. Not in text books, good luck.
urban cowboy

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's up to the facts to decide. Since you don't like using those, you get debunked a lot.
I disagree.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
What a load of BS. Cosmological constant is defined as static. Now some moron with a web page wants to give it a new definition. You morons believe any BS some other moron writes.

You probably should have looked up Cosmological constant before you spoke.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

<quoted text>
Hahahahahaha, why don't you post the definition of the cosmological constant moron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_con...

Wherever do you get your nutty ideas?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

<quoted text>
That's because you're to stupid to understand. In the first part it looks that way, until one reads and understands the rest.

When you understand then the percentage increases to the point of there being no relationship whatsoever.

Larger (more massive) objects do tend to spin more rapidly. But that is a property of partial gravitational collapse.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

<quoted text>
And you believe all that BS?

Translation: I don't understand, therefore it is BS.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If red shift is real, then logically our galaxy cannot be moving in the same direction as all other galaxies.
Imagine a redshifted galaxy dead east of you. Now another one dead west of you. Since they are both moving away from you in opposite directions, they cannot be moving in the same direction now, can they.
All other galaxies? We can only see the galaxies within the event horizon, defined as the limit of light's ability to travel up to 13.7 billion years i.e. the estimated age of the universe.
Anything beyond that is permanently invisible to us so we don't know what its doing.
As for what we can see, the further away from us it is, the faster it is moving away still further, outside our local galactic cluster.

Actually, we can be moving in the same direction as a red shifted object. It is just moving away from us faster than we are moving toward it.

Like a car passing you on the interstate. Going the same direction but the car would be red shifted after it passed you.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

<quoted text>
Hey moron
www.yourdictionary.com/constant
Constant describes something that doesn't change or something that continues or remains steady.(adjective)

Yes, the cosmological constant is a constant.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

<quoted text>
Ok dodger 2, then your saying all the galaxies are moving in direction from all other galaxies?

It would be more accurate to say that all groups of galaxies are moving away from all other groups of galaxies.

Take a balloon and put 3 dots of ink on it and start to inflate the balloon. Notice that the spots get further and further apart.

Same principle at work.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

phaedrus wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't understand what a constant is, do you? Oh wow, this is too funny to be true! Chimney1 has given a great reply to this, so I won't bother. But if a kid ever asks me why they should stay in school, I'll point at you.

Psycho is a fountain of illogical crap.

If you enjoyed that then stay tuned. He will keep you in stitches.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Debunked by a hypothesis? That's not right.

A hypothesis fits the facts. You do not.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Saying you've debunked something is practically meaningless. Whether something is debunked or not is entirely up to the reader to decide. You don't any authority over anyone with regards to whether something has been dubunked or not. This is at the level of a Dogen or something. "That's already been debunked..." Right. Give me a break.

Sorry, but you don't understand science. If valid criticisms are leveled at a work and they are not defended against then it was a successful debunking. You have never shown how your ideas can hold up to the criticism that we have leveled at them and therefore can be considered as refuted.

It is not our responsibility to defend your notions. If you fail to do so they are DOA.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

urban cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree.

Well, you would since the facts are against you. And idea can be debunked or refuted and still held. But there is no logical reason for holding the opinion.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

phaedrus wrote:
<quoted text>
Our galaxy is not moving in the same direction as all others. In general, galaxies are moving away from each other. If they are close enough together, galaxies may move towards each other due to gravity. Andromeda is an example of a galaxy that is sufficiently close that gravity is pulling us together. There are other examples of clusters of galaxies falling in on each other.
We can measure the relative direction and speed of any galaxy we can see (we can't see all galaxies).
Happy?
Thanks, because by your words, science cannot prove red shift.:-)

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

<quoted text>
Thanks, because by your words, science cannot prove red shift.:-)

The red shift is an observation, not something science needs to prove.

Please read a science book so we do not have to keep teaching 6th grade science class with you.
Mugwump

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
The red shift is an observation, not something science needs to prove.
Please read a science book so we do not have to keep teaching 6th grade science class with you.
Must admit - I only know the 'basics' of physics as found it a bit dry (sorry) and concentrated on biology and chemistry up to degree level.

I say this not in an attempt at humility (though being British is hard to fight off the urge - and queuing - we are ALL about the queuing)

But to point out that I don't comment as I am not au fait enough with the subject.

Can you see the point I am making here ?
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, idiot. Like a fundamental force of nature. it can remain constant, but the behavior of all the objects subject to that force is not static. Just like the rock falling down a cliff because of the constant force of gravity.
Got it YET????
Geeze moron, einsteinium cosmological constant described a static universe. Since you're too stupid to understand, static has NO force moron.

Get a brain moron.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 113,601 - 113,620 of171,269
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

14 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
When Will Evolutionists Confess Their Atheistic... 4 min Kong_ 1,270
Intelligent Design - Deist style (Dec '09) 9 min Kong_ 54
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr MMLandJ 133,160
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 hr HMT 123 Observatory 111,977
Science News (Sep '13) Fri positronium 2,822
Ann Coulter: Idiot (Sep '11) Jul 10 DanFromSmithville 358
Plan your Relocation needs with Packers and Mov... Jul 7 shashi12 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••