Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#116524 Feb 9, 2013
Alien Outlaw wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, regurgitated text.....wonderful. Gods, bones and comets...really. Dogen what about the Hubble telescope, you know the pictures it captured of a slice of deep space....they concluded there are to many galaxies to count....What are your thoughts, disregarding regurgitated text, your thoughts. Enlighten us.

What about it?

They did a deep field with the Kepler, too.

My thoughts are.....

the universe is a big place.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116525 Feb 9, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
To quote Douglas Adams again
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space
What's your point ?

Gotta love DA. He had an answer for everything.

The answer, to the great question, of life, the universe and everything is,...... is,.......

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Answer...

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116526 Feb 9, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm looking forward to a nice Ameglian Major Cow steak.

I prefer to dine on Perfectly Normal Beasts.
Alien Outlaw

Kansas City, MO

#116527 Feb 9, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
What about it?
They did a deep field with the Kepler, too.
My thoughts are.....
the universe is a big place.
Ok, more to the point. Is earth the only planet in the entire known universe with life(earthlings, microbial or alien types....advanced alien types). Please, no text regurgitation.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#116528 Feb 9, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Gotta love DA. He had an answer for everything.
The answer, to the great question, of life, the universe and everything is,...... is,.......
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Answer...
God promised that good obedient loving wives could be found in all corners of the Earth. Then he created the Earth in the shape of a sphere and laughed and laughed and laughed!!

Level 5

#116529 Feb 9, 2013
Alien Outlaw wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, more to the point. Is earth the only planet in the entire known universe with life(earthlings, microbial or alien types....advanced alien types). Please, no text regurgitation.
Right, we "know" so little of the universe, it is like taking a glass of water from the ocean, looking in it, seeing nothing, then concluding there is no life in the ocean.

Does being a dumb butt come naturally? Or do you have to work at it?

Level 5

#116530 Feb 9, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I prefer to dine on Perfectly Normal Beasts.
It does seem cruel to eat life that doesn't want to be eaten.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#116531 Feb 9, 2013
Alien Outlaw wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, more to the point. Is earth the only planet in the entire known universe with life(earthlings, microbial or alien types....advanced alien types). Please, no text regurgitation.
It seems unlikely that given the size of the universe that earth is the only planet in the u inverse that habours life.

Intelligent life is obviously less commons

Intelligent life that is 'close'' enough to be detected in the short time-frame we have had the technology - again less so.

AGAIN, what is your point ? Or are you charging by the word?
Alien Outlaw

Kansas City, MO

#116532 Feb 9, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems unlikely that given the size of the universe that earth is the only planet in the u inverse that habours life.
Intelligent life is obviously less commons
Intelligent life that is 'close'' enough to be detected in the short time-frame we have had the technology - again less so.
AGAIN, what is your point ? Or are you charging by the word?
Just pickin you brain, you seem to use it. Ok, lets focus on technologies that are possible, like manipulating brain activity. Lets say controlling the part of the brain that controls sleep. Could that technology be available to humans today? And, what would the average human think of them using that technology on the public?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116533 Feb 9, 2013
Alien Outlaw wrote:

Probably not.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116534 Feb 9, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
God promised that good obedient loving wives could be found in all corners of the Earth. Then he created the Earth in the shape of a sphere and laughed and laughed and laughed!!

Best proof of Gods existence is hearing laughter when you expect life to be fair.

Level 5

#116535 Feb 9, 2013
Alien Outlaw wrote:
<quoted text>Just pickin you brain, you seem to use it. Ok, lets focus on technologies that are possible, like manipulating brain activity. Lets say controlling the part of the brain that controls sleep. Could that technology be available to humans today? And, what would the average human think of them using that technology on the public?
You mean like religion?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116536 Feb 9, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
It does seem cruel to eat life that doesn't want to be eaten.

Yes, but it seems creepy to meet the meat.

Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#116537 Feb 9, 2013
Alien Outlaw wrote:
<quoted text>Just pickin you brain, you seem to use it. Ok, lets focus on technologies that are possible, like manipulating brain activity. Lets say controlling the part of the brain that controls sleep. Could that technology be available to humans today? And, what would the average human think of them using that technology on the public?
Personally I think the brain is simply another organ, and if technology was available to 'control' it then it would go through the same moral debate as does with many technologies that effect 'free will'

Such advances of course are already used in the medical community to control some of the more extreme mental illnesses that afflict certain people.

But let me fast-track your argument - you are presumably suggesting that such technology is already being employed by aliens on the human race already.

So care to provide a coherent argument to support this - would just save a lot of time.

Anyway have to go - Zork has his probing rod out.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#116538 Feb 9, 2013
Alien Outlaw wrote:
<quoted text>Humans have explored only 1% of the deep oceans. What in the world makes you think humans are ready for deep space exploration. Read about how human technology is not capable or adequate enough for contact.Wait, its not in text books ........cant read about it, cant comprehend it. Regurgitate all the info and stats known to man......good luck.
I never said we are ready for deep space exploration. There may or may not be a technology somewhere in the universe more advanced than ours.
Alien Outlaw

Kansas City, MO

#116539 Feb 9, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally I think the brain is simply another organ, and if technology was available to 'control' it then it would go through the same moral debate as does with many technologies that effect 'free will'
Such advances of course are already used in the medical community to control some of the more extreme mental illnesses that afflict certain people.
But let me fast-track your argument - you are presumably suggesting that such technology is already being employed by aliens on the human race already.
So care to provide a coherent argument to support this - would just save a lot of time.
Anyway have to go - Zork has his probing rod out.
You were doing just fine right up to the last statement. Again, SETI was established for what purpose?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#116540 Feb 9, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
I like that!

Gonna borrow that line.

Thanks!
Alien Outlaw

Kansas City, MO

#116541 Feb 9, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said we are ready for deep space exploration. There may or may not be a technology somewhere in the universe more advanced than ours.
Lets just for aurgument, say that a craft came within 10ft, put us(more than one)to sleep and cruzed over us without a sound. Could that in your mind ever be possible. Put on your tinfoil hat and try to think.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#116542 Feb 9, 2013
Alien Outlaw wrote:
<quoted text>You were doing just fine right up to the last statement. Again, SETI was established for what purpose?
Actually I apologise for the last line was probably unjust.

On SETI - was established to try and detect the 'artifacts' of intelligent life outside of the earth by Initally searching for non-natural patterns in the Stella 'noise'.

But you misunderstand, I am not saying that life dosent exist elsewhere (personally find it unlikely that it dosent - universe being huge and all) but that doesn't lead to aliens have obviously (as I suspect you are suggesting) visited us.

Anyway -again apologies for the Zork comment - but you got to admit, it was mildy amusing at least.
Alien Outlaw

Kansas City, MO

#116543 Feb 9, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I apologise for the last line was probably unjust.
On SETI - was established to try and detect the 'artifacts' of intelligent life outside of the earth by Initally searching for non-natural patterns in the Stella 'noise'.
But you misunderstand, I am not saying that life dosent exist elsewhere (personally find it unlikely that it dosent - universe being huge and all) but that doesn't lead to aliens have obviously (as I suspect you are suggesting) visited us.
Anyway -again apologies for the Zork comment - but you got to admit, it was mildy amusing at least.
It was funny. I find knowledge and understanding of "Deep Space Aliens" at the level of when the paper was being made to write the Bible.Or, when finding fossels became scientific discoveries. One day, a scientists didnt just awake up and decide to ask Congress to fund SETI. It happened thru a series of events, sightings and Govt findings....not by accident.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 49 min Richardfs 34,209
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr DanFromSmithville 199,200
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr DanFromSmithville 14,850
News ID Isn't Science, But That's the Least Of Its P... 6 hr FREE SERVANT 33
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 9 hr MIDutch 151,284
My Story Part 1 Fri JanusBifrons 1
Evolution in action Jun 20 Darth Robo 9
More from around the web