Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,180

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#116418 Feb 8, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you 6 years old? Seven perhaps? That's about how you act. No really, I need to know. If you are a minor you really should tell your mother so she knows what you're doing.

So you are asserting the kettle is black. Interesting.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116420 Feb 8, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask the Christian Creationist scientists who established the scientific method

They clearly have no idea.

NEXT!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116421 Feb 8, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
And, your point is?

His point is very clear. It is in the first sentence (opening) and the last sentence (closing/review).

Well written LowellGuy!

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing offered from creation.com is science. It is, in the most generous terms, anti-science.
1.The 66 books of the Bible are the written Word of God. The Bible is divinely inspired and inerrant throughout. Its assertions are factually true in all the original autographs. It is the supreme authority, not only in all matters of faith and conduct, but in everything it teaches. Its authority is not limited to spiritual, religious or redemptive themes but includes its assertions in such fields as history and science.
6.By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the Scriptural record.
http://creation.com/about-us
In other words, the Bible is true, and anything that contradicts the Bible is inherently wrong because the Bible is true. That is exactly opposite to how science works. Anti-science. If you think that can be used to counteract science, you're stupid as shit. If you want to be stupid as shit, that's your prerogative. If you think being stupid as shit is admirable, that's your prerogative, too. If you think only science can counteract science, then you must, by definition, recognize everything from creation.com as complete horseshit.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116422 Feb 8, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Here comes the tech school science teacher...
Don't stand so close to the fumes...
Wear your Occ health and safety gear...
And go to bed

I notice that you cannot come up with a rational response to even the simplest post. There was a clear question to you in the post which you ignored. Why did you ignore it? Do you not know the answer or in the answer you know inconvenient to your point and to your belief system?

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly you don't know the definition of scientific evidence. The theory of evolution has mountains of supporting scientific evidence.
What do you think the definition of scientific evidence is?

----------

No worries. I don't really expect a reasoned answer to the above questions. At least not from you.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

North Miami Beach, FL

#116423 Feb 8, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Kettle the Bigotted kettle is having a dig again.
Awesome Mugwump!
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#116424 Feb 8, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Awesome Mugwump!
A mistake, fair enough

Anyway fancy responding to the following post ?
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
12 : how come we have a few hundred mutations per generation
13. mosaic turner syndrome?
14 : see 13
16 : nope, where did you get this ? MRCA ~ 200,000 years ago
While we at it, you mentioned a few days ago that as many if not more fossils are found out of place than 'in the correct strata'
Asked you about this but guess you missed it (fair enough)- but does roll it up into a nice round number 5
It was about some of your 99 reasons - flip back a page as you seem to have missed it.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#116425 Feb 8, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
So, Subduction Zone really kicked your arse with this stuff, huh?
Nope
He refuses to talk to me about ERVs
Just won't do it...

Neither has he said a word about comets ....since my post about them

I know he's awake ...somewhere....and only just...

And, he's dying to teach someone....ANYONE..

ANYTHING!

So watch out world..
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#116426 Feb 8, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I notice that you cannot come up with a rational response to even the simplest post. There was a clear question to you in the post which you ignored. Why did you ignore it? Do you not know the answer or in the answer you know inconvenient to your point and to your belief system?
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly you don't know the definition of scientific evidence. The theory of evolution has mountains of supporting scientific evidence.
What do you think the definition of scientific evidence is?
----------
No worries. I don't really expect a reasoned answer to the above questions. At least not from you.
Hey mate....
Sorry if I offended by not a bile vomit "definition" to suit your delicate evolutionary sensitivities..

How about you do it
You provide a 'scientific definition of evolution....
I don't believe I've ever heard one....

Hang on....
Lemme think this through....

Er...no!

Never heard one

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#116428 Feb 8, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask the Christian Creationist scientists who established the scientific method
Can't answer the question, because you know that it draws attention to the lies in your arguments.
Alien Outlaw

Kansas City, MO

#116429 Feb 8, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
That crazy people come up with crazy "theories".
But that is a fact, not a theory.
We know like the story of a guy that walked on water, that is crazy. Or, humans evolved from apes, that's crazy. The primitive human animal has quite the imagination. Scared a lot of humans off just by the word, "Alien". Scary stuff. The unknown, kind of like the human man made Gods. Get a grip Big D. Some so called intelligent individuals don't like the word, "Alien". Scary stuff. Deep space has all the answers to human existence..........the third equation that factors out the other two. Hard for humans to accept after all the brainwashing thru the centuries.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116431 Feb 8, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope
Just won't do it...
ANYTHING!
So watch out world..

So far you have not shown that you actually understand ERVs and only parrot creationist sites on the subject.

Comets are interesting. Objects billions of years old formed during the first moments of the solar system.

Not counting the occasional extrasolar one that might come by.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116432 Feb 8, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey mate....
Sorry if I offended by not a bile vomit "definition" to suit your delicate evolutionary sensitivities..
How about you do it
You provide a 'scientific definition of evolution....
I don't believe I've ever heard one....
Hang on....
Lemme think this through....
Er...no!
Never heard one

Crack a book sometime.

Evolution is the change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations. Evolutionary processes give rise to diversity at every level of biological organisation, including species, individual organisms and molecules such as DNA and proteins.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution
One way or another

United States

#116433 Feb 8, 2013
The morons telling fortunes make claims they can never prove. They claim comets are billions of years old. Frikken morons.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#116434 Feb 8, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope
Just won't do it...
ANYTHING!
So watch out world..
What!?

That's a lie. I am not a genetics expert but I will be happy to discus ERV's with you. I am sure that you know less about them than I do.

Oh, reading along as I type. I already addressed the comet issue and there was no reply. In other words Russell is lying.

Gee, a creatard lying, what a surprise.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#116435 Feb 8, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
What!?
That's a lie. I am not a genetics expert but I will be happy to discus ERV's with you. I am sure that you know less about them than I do.
Oh, reading along as I type. I already addressed the comet issue and there was no reply. In other words Russell is lying.
Gee, a creatard lying, what a surprise.
He's just upset that you kicked his butt so thoroughly. I think he expected you to kiss it afterward.
One way or another

United States

#116436 Feb 8, 2013
The Evo children are always crying on each others shoulders, because they can't stand on their own two feet, but that's what's expected of a childish clique.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#116437 Feb 8, 2013
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope
Just won't do it...
ANYTHING!
So watch out world..
I had to quote this post of Russell's again. Right now it says he posted this 2 hours ago, yet he posted the top one on this page 3 hours ago:http://www.topix.com/forum /news/evolution/TMHKC3DQFKMIOI DKA/p85

[quote]Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You need some new jokes Russell. We have all heard these before.
Like the comets ....
They keep coming
A regular Kuiper belt/Oort cloud...
Oh hang on

Kuiper belt and Oort cloud do not produce comets....

So how are stars made ?

See? I am willing to learn[/quote]

So there he was, responding to my answer where I debunked his stupid comet claim more than an hour before he posted this nonsense. He got caught lying by his very own posts.

What a maroon! what an ignoranimus!:

Level 9

Everett, WA

#116438 Feb 8, 2013
Oh crap, too much quoting. Here is the link:

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TMH...
SA Kiteman

Alexandria, VA

#116439 Feb 8, 2013
"Should Evolution be Taught in High School?"

Don't be ridiculous!!

It should be taught in JUNIOR high school.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Kalispell Montana

#116440 Feb 8, 2013
SA Kiteman wrote:
"Should Evolution be Taught in High School?"
Don't be ridiculous!!
It should be taught in JUNIOR high school.
Absolutely....right on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min Dogen 142,926
Have you read the comments of avid evolutionist... (May '12) 12 min Kong_ 4
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 44 min macumazahn 14,717
Question on complexity Common Sense says..... (May '12) 45 min Kong_ 16
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 2 hr ChromiuMan 966
Why natural selection can't work 17 hr shaun2000 29
Why Are There No Transitional Animals Today? (Mar '09) Fri dirtclod 801
More from around the web