Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180376 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

One way or another

United States

#116103 Feb 5, 2013
NASA stupidity

Original work
By Jim Ryan
Supported by evidence
Moons reflectors bogus

So, the moons reflectors are 239,000 miles from earth, approximately and since the speed of light is 186,000 miles per second, y'all must think that laser beam will get back to earth pretty fast. Actually, the light should return to earth from the moons reflectors in 1.3 seconds, with the reflectors designed to reflect the light back, but according to the scientists and this web site page, it takes a few seconds to return to earth. A FEW SECONDS,--wow, how very scientific,- when judging light speed. Gotta love the very accurate, scientific method, NOT!!!
A few seconds is at least twice as long as the beam or photons should take to return to earth.

At least they depend on all of us being stupid enough to believe them. Well, at least the Evo morons here.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/ApolloLas...

The piece claims,--Once the laser beam hits a reflector, scientists at the ranging observatories use extremely sensitive filtering and amplification equipment to detect the return signal, which is far too weak to be seen with the human eye. Even under good atmospheric viewing conditions, only one photon is received every few seconds.

Read that last line above again, one photon every FEW SECONDS.

It should only take 1.3 seconds for each return photon, if that light is traveling at the speed of light.

In this test, the light is traveling at less than half the speed of light.

Mugwump

UK

#116104 Feb 5, 2013
One way or another wrote:
NASA stupidity
Original work
By Jim Ryan
Supported by evidence
Moons reflectors bogus
So, the moons reflectors are 239,000 miles from earth, approximately and since the speed of light is 186,000 miles per second, y'all must think that laser beam will get back to earth pretty fast. Actually, the light should return to earth from the moons reflectors in 1.3 seconds, with the reflectors designed to reflect the light back, but according to the scientists and this web site page, it takes a few seconds to return to earth. A FEW SECONDS,--wow, how very scientific,- when judging light speed. Gotta love the very accurate, scientific method, NOT!!!
A few seconds is at least twice as long as the beam or photons should take to return to earth.
At least they depend on all of us being stupid enough to believe them. Well, at least the Evo morons here.
The piece claims,--Once the laser beam hits a reflector, scientists at the ranging observatories use extremely sensitive filtering and amplification equipment to detect the return signal, which is far too weak to be seen with the human eye. Even under good atmospheric viewing conditions, only one photon is received every few seconds.
It should only take 1.3 seconds for each return photon, if that light is traveling at the speed of light.
This has already been explained to you
urban cowboy

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#116105 Feb 5, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm waiting to hear your next Cowboy's Rule about how gravity only works for items withing a certain weight limit.
That was just dumb.
One way or another

United States

#116106 Feb 5, 2013
Laser ranging!

"scientists have been able to determine the round-trip travel time that gives the distance between the two bodies at any time to an accuracy of about 3 centimeters. "

"From the ranging experiments, scientists know that the average distance between the centers of the Earth and the Moon is 385,000 kilometers with an accuracy of better than one part in 10 billion."

Science also claims,--"Even under good atmospheric viewing conditions, only one photon is received every few seconds."

Since this ranging experiment is about accuracy and distance, using speed of light, determined by a few seconds, just what morons are going to believe such?

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#116107 Feb 5, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes that’s one way of looking at it however it ignores the religious demographics and strife has been a byword in Ireland for 1000 years. Pope Adrian IV awarded the lordship of Ireland on Henry II of England in 1155 hoping to cure some of Ireland's religious troubles. Ireland was far from a catholic country and sectarian violence was commonplace between clans.
From then until the early 1500s many English moved to Ireland just as many Irish moved to England. Some assimilated but strife continued between the native Irish and the colonists and between the catholics and non catholics.
The Jacobites held most of the land and treated non catholics very poorly. Henry VIII overthrew the Fitzgeralds as Lords Deputies of Ireland and the Jacobites later surrendered confirming protestant authority in Ireland. Much of the land previously owned by the Jacobite catholics was transferred to the winning protestant side. No doubt the bad treatment also changed sides as is the way of such power.
There are several twists and turns in between then and now which of course different people cite as the cause for the trouble. Cromwell, James II, the breakdown of the penal code, the polarising effect of the 1790s, The failed Rebellion, the founding of the Orange Order etc. etc.
By the early 1900s the catholic faith was by far the most populous and on the verge of gaining home rule. Unionists concentrated in the north resisted home rule, fearing a blood bath.
The easter uprising, the Irish War for Independence which lead to Sinn Féin failing in the north showing the strength of feeling for unionism.
Ireland was eventually partitioned in the 1920s, not as you consider for economic grounds but by population boundaries.
And then the troubles really began but in truth each of these nuances contributed and of course a 1000 years of religious hatred continued.
Now the majority in Northern Ireland (by popular vote) want to keep the status quo, to be part of the UK. The minority want to rejoin with the south and some of that minority seem willing to maim and kill and spread terror to gain their ends
There will be another vote (I believe in 2016)
As that date draws closer perhaps we will again see the deliberate and arbitrarily targeting of innocent children and unarmed civilians in knee cappings, murders and bomb attacks. There is a worrying trend of the IRA and their clones stepping up sectarian violence after a few years of peace.
Yikes. I'm getting an idea what they call it The Troubles.

I've seen a little bit of how war can transform people. My own personal experience in Vietnam was mostly uneventful. No war stories, I just did my small job driving a mail truck. But I got to know several combat veterans who learned to love war. For some it's like a religion, it gives them a sense of purpose.

I hope you and those you care about remain safe and that a peaceful resolution will be found.
Elohim

Branford, CT

#116108 Feb 5, 2013
NASA stupidity
Original work
By Jim Ryan
Supported by evidence
Moons reflectors bogus
Did you even read the article? It refutes everything you spew.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#116109 Feb 5, 2013
Elohim wrote:
<quoted text>Delusional troll?
A strong possibility, but Jimbo should have the final say.
One way or another

United States

#116110 Feb 5, 2013
If the Evo morons have a point to make, simply show the proof.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#116111 Feb 5, 2013
urban cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
That was just dumb.
It was intended to be equally as dumb as your Cowboy's Rule.
One way or another

United States

#116112 Feb 5, 2013
More new science by Jim Ryan

If science claims how difficult it is to hit the ranging equipment on the moon, while also claiming that the earth is rotating at least 460 meters per second and those huge telescopes can not possibly keep pace with that speed, why would science speak of repeated pulsing to the moon, hitting the target many times and then many times, capturing those photons, while the earth rotates. It doesn't make sense when science claims,---Scientists liken the task of aiming the beam to using a rifle to hit a moving dime two miles away.
One way or another

United States

#116113 Feb 5, 2013
Why a pulsing beam, instead of a continuous beam in this instance?
Elohim

Branford, CT

#116114 Feb 5, 2013
The Freemasons told them to.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#116115 Feb 5, 2013
Because it would be the wrong colour?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#116116 Feb 5, 2013
You cant dance to a continuous beam.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#116117 Feb 5, 2013
A pulsed beam is far more powerful, for the period of its pulse, than a continuous beam.

Add lasers to the nearly infinite number of things that Jimbo does not understand.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#116118 Feb 5, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Regarding Lenski's citrate eating bacteria:
" This led the researchers to conclude that there had been at least two potentiating mutations involved in Cit+ evolution. The researchers also found that all Cit+ clones sequenced had in their genomes a duplication mutation of 2933 base pairs that involved the gene for the citrate transporter protein used in anaerobic growth on citrate, citT. The duplication is tandem, resulting in two copies that are head-to-tail with respect to each other. This duplication immediately conferred the Cit+ trait by creating a new regulatory module in which the normally silent citT gene is placed under the control of a promoter for an adjacent gene called rnk. The new promoter activates expression of the citrate transporter when oxygen is present, and thereby enabling aerobic growth on citrate."
Whadya know?
A base insertion involving an ADDITION of a sequence 2933 base pairs long...that adds information, adds functionality, increases population in the given environment and is thus beneficial. Its also a "macro" event compared to the "micro" adaptations in the other 11 flasks (that still resulted in improving those populations' survival and reproductive rates in this environment).
Its the whole nine yards, refuting multiple creationist canards all at once.
I don't know why I am even bothering to argue with a YEC, you are all mad as hatters.
www.noanswersingenesis.org.au/geologiccolumn....
I don't care if you hate the source...can you refute the science or answer the questions raised in a 6000 year framework?
Don't get so excited...Bud
There can be a tandem copy of an otherwise quiescent gene that may be potentiated by an adjoining promoter sequence.
But citrate utilisation is not a "new" or innovative feature.
E coli can utilise citrate ANYWAY. When required.
For Darwin's little engine to traverse the huge distance required for invention....there simply is no mechanism.
Not enough "millions" of years.....

May be you are not peddling hard enough, ol' chap?

Otherwise, Drosophila melanogaster would be an elephant by now, eh?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#116119 Feb 5, 2013
The pulses are used to uniquely encode each signal sent out. That way when you get back signal one, you know it wasn't signal three. If they were all the same or just a continuous beam, you would have no idea how long it took to get that signal back.

Get it? Bet not!

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#116120 Feb 5, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Cowboy’s Rule of Non-Macroevolution:
"All biological organisms have potentially unlimited genetic variation, restricted within their own defined species (on very rare occasion, genus) regardless of ancestry or time.”

Refuted within minutes of first post. Where do these morons get the idea they can make up science?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116121 Feb 5, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
But you couldn't possibly be wrong about evolution, right?

Opinions can be wrong.

Evolution is an established scientific fact. We are about as likely to discover that we are wrong about electricity as evolution.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#116122 Feb 5, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Please help us resolve an issue. Dogen contends that you are totally delusional. I maintain that you really know all of your posts are nonsense, and you just like being an internet troll. You could make a valuable contribution by laying this issue to rest. So, what is it, total delusion or total troll?

Don't get me wrong. I see no reason why he can't be both.

One interesting finding of scientific research is that if you repeat a lie often enough you start to begin to believe it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 16 min Dogen 1,418
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 25 min u196533dm 32,462
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 5 hr Genesis Enigma 163,074
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 hr Aura Mytha 222,270
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Mon Dogen 78,757
Mathematicians PROVED evolution IMPOSSIBLE! Aug 19 Science 814
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web